LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » need help getting Bicillin shots without breakng the bank.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: need help getting Bicillin shots without breakng the bank.
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi my LLMD ordered bicillin shots and the insurance Co.says no way on bicillin shots .

I can get them for 510 bucks for a 5 week supply without insurance. Is this the going rate?

Is there any other way to get them at a better price?

Any info welcome.

Also is there any other comperable alternative you used if you couldn't get the bicillin?

Thanks.

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a generic form which was only .80p per 1.2MU shot it was Benzathine Penicillin made by fresenius I believe there is also another generic named Extencilline.

For me it was excellent as it comes in a powder form that you mix with water for injection, therefore no refrigeration was needed.

See if your LLMD can source either of these generics.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TS96 - my doc is going to write a letter of medical necessity (I hope) to my ins. co.

They paid for numerous bottles of Mepron at $800 a pop but it was a big no, no, no on the bicillin. I wonder what that's all about?

Anyway, if I wanted to pay for it out of pocket is was going to be $500 for a box of 10. So I guess that's pretty close.

I'm going to have him look into some of the alternatives that Rianna spoke of.

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having the same problem, my LLMD wants to start me on Bicillian shots and my insurance wont cover,,,

I am so SICK on insurance companies making the decision for me abotu what I need and dont need for MY HEALTH!

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are all of the international brand names for generic Bicillin, this may help you locate or import the cheapest form. I assume Mexico may be a good choice if you are in the USA

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&u=http://www.libreriamedica8a.com/productos/309.htm&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2BBenzanil%2B%26start %3D10%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-gb:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7GGLG%26sa%3DN

Here are the generic brand names for the rest of the world

International Brand Names
Bandapen (AR); Bencelin (MX); Benzanil (MX); Benzathine Penicillin-Fresenius Vials (ZA); Benzetacil (AR, BR, ES, MX); Benzetacil L.A. (CL, CO, CR, DO, GT, HN, PA, SV); Benzilpenicilina Benzatina (BR); Benzilpenicillina Benzatinica Biopharma (IT); Benzilpenicillina Benzatinica (IT); Benzoside (EC); Bicillin L-A (AU, NZ, ZA); Biconcilina BZ (EC); Cepacilina (ES); Debecylina (PL); Deposilin (TR); Diaminocillina (IT); Durabiotic (IL); Durapen (RO); Extencilline (FR, RO, RU); Galtamicina (AR); Lastipen (RO); Lentocilin-S (PT); Longacilin (BR); LPG (AU); Moldamin (RO); Penadur (HK, LU); Penadur L.A. (BE, CY, EG, ID, JO, KW, LB, MT, PT, TH, TR); Pencom (IN); Pendepon (CZ, SK); Pen-Di-Ben (AR, DO); Pendiben (EC); Pen-Di-Ben (GT, HN, PA, SV); Pendysin (DE); Penicilina Benzatinica Richet (AR); Penicilina G. Benzatina (CL); Penicilina G Benzatina L.CH. (CL); Penicilina G Benzatinica (AR, CO); Penicilina G Benzatinica Fabra (AR); Penidural (NL); Penidure (IN); Penilente (EG, ZA); Retarpen (AT, CY, CZ, HU, JO, KW, LB, PL, RO, RU, SG, SI); Tardocillin (DE); Taropen (PL); Unicil L.A. (CO); Wycillina (IT)

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TS96
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TS96     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Rianna for all the info.

My LLMD is going to contact ins. co. as well and try to get a prior approval, (whatever that means) and maybe just maybe a slim chance they will cover.

My progress is fading and I'm declining. Bicillin might just do the trick and I can't do a thing about it. [Frown]

--------------------
Bart Henslea 1976
Fibro/CFS/arthritis 2004
Lyme diagnosed 2007
3 1/2 years treatment with oral combos, Cowden, IV roc. BW herbs. Off all abx in 12/10. Feeling good.

Posts: 647 | From NY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rianna-

do you think the alternatives are as effective as the name brand shots? i too am currently on bicillin at 50 bucks a pop, 3x week.

[Mad]

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pen G max ( vet bicillin ) is cheap. You might PM member " bejoy " or do a search on her messages .

Also , farmdog used vet bicillin. Others here have have used it . Do your research . It is so cheap , it is almost free . WHAT A DIFFERENCE !

Look up veterinary bicillin or vet bicillin on your search . One lady I know used it with fishzole ( flagyl w/o a script ) purchased from vet meds supply and the combo got her well !

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try Costco. box of 10 cost $410, which was $100 cheaper than other places.

don't ask me why, but in some states (like CA and NY) the shots are more expensive.

Also, be aware that the non generic form can sometimes "disappear" off the local market, and your "cheap" supplier may not carry it anymore.

If you go with powder form, learn how to mix from Doctors office first. Also, you'll need to buy the needles. Still much cheaper though than even Costco...

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

[QUOTE]Originally posted by djf2005:
[QB] rianna- do you think the alternatives are as effective as the name brand shots?

Yes they are exact generics of bicillin.

I was on Fresenius Benzathine Penicillin from South Africa and it was amazing, it's used in South Africa for syphylis. Again it is exactly the same as Bicillin and is long acting just a generic in a powder form that you mix with water for injection -Mine was just 80p a 1.2MU vial. Then you just buy the needles and syringe and water for injection which are pennies

Rianna

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement