LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 3yo on biaxin/cefdinir/ abx herx reactions questions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 3yo on biaxin/cefdinir/ abx herx reactions questions?
urpaige
Member # 16096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for urpaige     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 3yo is taking Biaxin and Cefdinir. He's in his second month. He's started waking up very early for him but still looks so tired. He took a nap yesterday but it took him a while to fall asleep. I'm wondering if it's the meds or the lymes?

What do I look for in the herx reaction? I'm having a difficult time distinguishing 3yo behavior from lymes related things, or medicine things. Today he said his "eyes" hurt. This was a first. [Frown]

My children almost always clean their plates, but my 3yo son has been "full" early on in many meals lately? Lymes, co-in, or meds??? Some days I have to practically force him to drink, and then occasionally it's like he is making up and can't get enough. He only drinks water.

--------------------
Mom of Five - two had lyme and coinfections - one had RMSF - Still hoping for broader awareness of tick junk in general medical practitioners.

Posts: 79 | From Virginia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbourne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbourne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My almost 3 year old is on Ceftin and will switch to Zithromax next month followed by a month of flagyl before going back to the doctor. My little one is a great eater but doesn't put any weight on for some reason. She also has a hard time falling and staying asleep. I don't think she has herxed on the Ceftin and I am anxious to see how she does on Zithromax. What supplements are you giving your 3 year old? Any info or tips that have worked for you is so apprecicated. It is a hard battle. Ceftin tastes horrible in liquid form and I have tried every cover up available.
Posts: 183 | From Texas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urpaige
Member # 16096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for urpaige     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What supplements are you giving your 3 year old?
Probiotics, a good multi vitamin, a children's green supplement, children's fish oil and elderberry concentrate. I'm also taking him to see a pediatrician who also practices holistic medicine next week for more suggestions on this. One thing his person I spoke with while making the appointment recommended was this, http://www.kidswellness.com/shop/product_view.asp?id=1108627&StoreID=464477254E3A4415B459127000E2B4AE&private_product=1
but I want to consult with him in regards t the current stuff before adding but it makes sense from what I know... How about you? How long have you all been at this?

--------------------
Mom of Five - two had lyme and coinfections - one had RMSF - Still hoping for broader awareness of tick junk in general medical practitioners.

Posts: 79 | From Virginia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urpaige
Member # 16096

Anyone?

Tonight he told me his groin area hurt. Is this new meds, new symptoms, herx, a reason to call the doctor?

--------------------

Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Paige,

I am so sorry your little one is in pain.

Your question is one we have all asked countless times- herx, meds or the illness?

Sometimes, there just is no way to know for certain. ..but there are a couple of hints...

Herxes are usually an increase of existing or new symptoms. Normally they follow a loose schedule like every 3-5 weeks or 3-4 days after beginning a new med.

If it gets unbearable, it is advised to back off the meds for a couple of days- WITH your doc's permission.

The illness symptoms themselves usually come on over time. of course, new symptoms can pop up at anytime, but usually not several new symptoms at once.

The meds can indeed cause side effects, and one4 should be monitored whenever new meds are given. You should also be very familiar with possible side effects of EACH med and possible interactions. And remember, allergies can happen at anytime.

If your little guy seems to be getting worse, please do not hesitate to contact his doctor, use your best judgment, as you know him better than anyone else and you know when something is not right.

My best,
M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urpaige
Member # 16096

Thank you for the reply Melanie.

He actually just started these two Abx Tuesday evening. We ran out of the Biaxin he was doing before on Sunday so there was a 36 hour period with no meds in between.

It's really tough watching him lay around with his blanket while his sisters and brothers are on the go.

I guess if anything else new happens in the next day or so I'll call. I feel horribly for him.

--------------------

AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Paige-

I'm finding the Biaxin to be quite hard on my stomach.

Maybe give it with a small meal, maybe some crackers or a piece of bread, make sure it gets chased with plenty of water & don't let him recline more than 45 degrees for about 1/2 hour after taking.

That might help with the appetite issues. I also find that salty foods seem to help with the stomach upset.

Good luck.

hugs & prayers,
[group hug]
Ali

[ 11. July 2008, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: AliG ]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dbourne
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbourne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear things are not going well for him.

You are giving more supplements than I am. I am going to check into giving a few more to my daughter.

A new symptom for my daughter is tiny pimples on her body and white stuff in the corner of her eyes.

Posts: 183 | From Texas | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement