LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mold-susceptible HLA Types

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mold-susceptible HLA Types
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those mold or multi-susceptible HLA types (and likely others), have you considered that mold may be a very real part of ongoing health problems or limit our ability to recover from Lyme?

I recently ran the ERMI from mycometrics.com which is supported by Dr. R.S. It showed several molds in my apartment including black mold - stachybotrys.

I subsequently had a mold panel via blood sample done from Esoterix that showed very HIGH IgG antibodies to black mold.

So, as I have always said, Lyme disease is often many layers of things that were required to get us ill in the first place and we must address many problems to get us well.

For a notable number of us, mold could very well be a confounder.

I am in the process now of moving as a result of the mold discovery.

I would seriously consider the ERMI and antibody tests for mold if you have not done so in the past...especially for those with HLA types where mold would be problematic.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im in the process of trying to move due to my black mold findings also.

I have the lyme and multisuseptable HLA.

Scott- what lab ran your bloodwork for mold? Is it expensive?

Its very difficult for me to tell what symptoms are from mold, are you able to sort this out in your own body?

Also, how are you planning to avoid moving to another moldy place, that is my biggest fear?

thanks for posting :-)

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no good way to know which symptoms are caused by which issue. It is a layered issue and removing layers ideally should result in improvement.

If mold is an issue for someone, we can treat Lyme til the cows come home and never get well.

Lab I used for the blood was Esoterix and for the carpet sample testing was Mycometrics.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
llelnino
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for llelnino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PM sent
Posts: 103 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Molds are a real problem for me.
I've isolated one of my bedrooms that is particularly musty, where sleeping causes major sinus congestion. I keep the window open, door closed. The other rooms all have double-fans in the windows (Holmes) on 24/7. This creates negative air pressure in the mycotoxin room (as I named it). I figured this out myself but was just told by a mold remediation expert that "You are the first person in 21 years I've been in the business who figured that out on her own."

I am always blowing in fresh air from outside (as well as unfortunately city soot). Mold gets into all your bedding and upholstery too. You will have to throw out your upholstered chairs, couches and mattresses. I discovered that my congestion cleared up the most not only after moving to the better bedroom, keeping air circulation, but throwing out my bed. Even sleeping on my couch did not work. I then was able to understand what were mold reactions (feeling flushed/feverish, achy/groggy, muscle twitches, sinus congestion etc). You will "unmask" as you get away from the mold and then will be able to tell what are mold symptoms. For me they were muscle fasciculations, grogginess, low grade fevers/flushing and major sinus congestion (like an infection--but it wasn't).

I want to move too sooner or later but mold is a big problem in many homes and apartments. I was told if you're sensitive don't even bother testing, just stop exposure.

Remediating is not so easy. It has to be done by an expert or youll spread the spores all over your place.

Before I made the connection--when still sleeping in the mycotoxin room and unaware, I went to a poetry reading at the 92nd Street Y with a friend. I felt the building was a bit moldy. I felt okay or so I thought. I came home, had a strange awful pain in my jaw and spent the next 2 days mysteriously ill in bed.

After I made the connection, recently, I went to a Broadway matinee performance. It was a rainy day. As soon as I walked into the air conditioned lobby I smelled the mold. During the performance I became thirsty/dry mouth, mild headache. By night time I had a migraine and was sick with it the next day. But by then I understood the connection.

Doesn't mean I won't go to another performance or reading, if I really want to.

Homes/buildings in America are often built in a way that creates mold problems.

The HLA business per Ritchie Shoemaker has never been proven. But some of us are indeed mold sensitive.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dealing with and living around mold is so costly financially and in so many different ways.

I have lived in too many moldy homes. One was brand new and looked to be very well built and it turned out to be horrible for mold. The condensation was so bad that the ceiling dripped water on to the carpet in the winter time and the plumbing leaked into the wall. Trying to get landlords to take care of a moldy situation properly can be very difficult as well because they do not want to spend the money and think you are just complaining needlessly.

I hope your next home is mold free and healthy.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oxygenbabe- excellent idea about the fans.

My moldy room unfortunately only has one window and i have to put the AC unit in it. If the AC isnt on I feel sicker in there.

So, with the fans do you have them blowing in then?

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

One doctor told me to get the Alpine Air ozone machine and run it on high when not at home and then low when at home. I have one on the way but don't have much experience with it yet.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Nutmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nutmeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott,

I just saw a new LLND last week. She believes that mold exposure and sensitivity affect immunity. Some of my antibody levels to airborne allergens (including mold) were higher than normal, and she thinks they may be a factor, even if they don't cause direct symptoms.

Good luck with your move!

Nutmeg

Posts: 386 | From WA state | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Nutmeg - I would agree. It causes our immune systems to become hyper-reactive and does not allow it to ever find a state of balance. May also contribute to auto-immunity.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To cantgiveupyet:

1) Do you have to be in that moldy room at all? I would try not to. I was astounded at the symptoms that improved a lot when I got out of my moldy room.

2) Okay, so think of your moldy room. In the walls or wherever is mold. It gets worse as humidity rises which may be why your a/c helps. You need to open a window in that room and close the door.

Then, in your non moldy rooms, at least in spring summer and fall, put Holmes window fans. These go in the window sort of like an a/c does. There are two fans in each Holmes unit. You want them to be blowing INTO your house not out. You will find they cool down a room a lot ,especially at night, and often during the day (you may not need a/c for most days if you use them at night, and keep your shades at least partway down during the day to retain coolness). You will be drawing in clean air and pushing it into your rooms. That air will go under the door of your moldy room and out the window of that room. It has less air pressure in it than your rooms with fans. Get it?

A fan that is NOT in the window but on your desk won't work. You need to pull fresh air in from outside and push it into the room.

I was gratified when he told me that I had figured out exactly the right thing to do.

I also spoke with another expert at length today. Since I'm in a rental and can't immediately move, and the building walls themselves and cavities may be contaminated, he suggested ways to test and seal off problem areas.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

I think that if we know that mold is present and part of our condition, any decision other than to leave as soon as possible entirely undermines the rest of any treatment that may be ongoing.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

oxygen- thanks for the explanation, i know what fan you are talking about now, i have a few of them around here. Problem is its an old house not many electrical outlets or windows(3rd floor)

Scott- any ideas on how to avoid moving into another moldy place? Ive also heard ozone can work/help the mold.

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scott-

the blood work done, did you order a kit from esoterix or was this something one of your drs ran for you?

what was the spesific test/s ordered? just antibodies to black mold? any other kinds?

http://www.esoterix.com/prodserv/test_menu/index.asp?alpha=m

is that their website?

they seem to have a number of diff mold tests, which one did u run?

also, i do have hla for worse joint pain, etc.

when you say for those w hla mold etc, do u mean those with hla in general or just predisposition to mold?

also, what is the website for mycometrix? i cant seem to find it. is this a kit you ordered as well?

thanks much in advance

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Scott: You are right in an ideal world.
However many people don't have the ability financially to just up and leave.
I don't. I have a rent stabilized apartment in a luxury building in NYC, with a career in NYC as well. It would be impossible to move to even a 1/4 the size of my apartment anywhere in the city for the same price. If I were to isolate myself far from the city and my doctors, I'd be an idiot and get sicker fast. So I'm saving up $ to buy a house as well. That may take time but I'm determined.

Many people don't have the financial wherewithal to immediately move, in which case other solutions are very helpful.

In addition, mold can be remediated if not the biotoxin form of stachy. AND, mold is everywhere. It is present in so many homes because of the building materials used in recent decades, leaks not properly taken care of, etc. Before you move you probably need a Bau-Biologie expert or a mold expert like the two I spoke with, to vet for you any place you choose.
In addition folks with mold sensitivities, lyme and toxic mold exposures, tend to have other chemical sensitivities too. So moving into any place newly constructed is dangerous. Be sure you don't choose a place with an updated kitchen, pergo floors, or anything having any toxicity to it.

A good book I just finished is HOMES THAT HEAL by Athena Thompson, published by New Society Publishers.

I am doing much better by lessening exposure in this manner. Today I was informed exactly how to test and seal off the offending areas.

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Derek, responded by email.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

SForsgren
Member # 7686

www.mycometrics.com

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

SForsgren
Member # 7686

I guess my opinion is that if someone knowingly stays in an environment that contributes to their poor health, they cannot expect to improve to their optimum potential.

All the other reasons may be valid, but it doesn't mean that someone's health will get better if they cannot move because of x, y, or z.

I am not excited about moving and it is a tremendous amount of stress but I am planning it and will make it happen.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i agree scott, thank you for the info.

-derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Scott, go onto Debra Dadd's site. She is known as the "Queen of Green." She remediated a moldy bathroom into a beautiful one without adverse health consequences.

If you have active stachy--the variety that produces biotoxins--then you either have to get out while an expert remediates properly and decontaminates the home, or move.

If you have other molds that are allergenic but without serious toxins, you can remediate.

In my case, I'm allergic/sensitive to molds. I feel much better having made the changes I've made and I suspect the spore count in my home is now very low.

It's important to do a lot of research ahead of time to really understand the various options and impact of them.

Please heed my advice--if you have stachy, and if it was active, its toxins are heat resistant to 600 degrees....if it is indeed in your belongings, and you bring them with, you won't get better. People with a serious stachy problem or widespread mold contamination have to get rid of most of their belongings especially porous (papers, books, all upholstery, mattresses etc) or they get new mold hits from the stuff they carted to their new place and remain ill. You need to do some more research, I believe. Not all varieties of stachy produces the biotoxins.

Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. S in FL advocates this point and I think he's absolutely right!

You're definitely onto something, Scott. I live in FL and had Dr. S's main mold guy clean all of my air conditioning ducts and I use special air filters that I change monthly.

Mold hits my Mother HARD. She can smell even the faintest amount when entering a room, house, store, etc and she can go from energetic to about to faint.

She and I both have the mold and biotoxin genes so even though neither of us are presently on abx, cholestyramine is still part of our regime.

Also recommended by Dr. S:

http://www.citrisafecertified.com/

http://shop.citrisafecertified.com/main.sc

He also thinks MERV air conditioner filters are the best.

Like I've said many times before, the cholestyramine has been a GIFT for my recovery. I don't think I'd ever have improved as much without knowing about my screwed up gene disposition.

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there places in this country that are less prone toward mold - like places with hot dry climates?

If one moves into a home in one of these "dry" areas - can there still be contaminates or mold due to improper construction (leaky pipes, water sealed into the walls, etc.)?

If one remediates the mold - wouldn't there also be mold spores in the air in general? I live near NYC - the air here is not the best in the world... Can other pollutants also trigger the types of reactions that mold does?

I was reading that Austin TX has a very bad problem with pollen. Would this type of contaminant have a similar effect if you have the gene issue?

In effect what I'm saying is that we may not be able to get away from contaminants that are a problem for people with the HLA issue.

Does it help to move to Arizona or some other dry place? I'm about ready to leave the NYC area...

I live in an apt. in a Victorian type house... I'm sure mold is an issue here. I like living in an old house but my ill health began when I moved here. I'm about ready to make a new start somewhere else.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjeennnniiee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm interested in learning more about your experience with having the HLA-DR4 genotype, taking Cholestyramine, and treating your lyme and coinfections.

I have the genotype and take Cholestyramine too.

I'm having an awfully hard time tolerating the neurotoxins from dieoff, when I take antibiotics.

I can't seem to tolerate large doses of alot of antibiotics over a long period of time, before I end up with a really bad herxheimer reaction and have to quit taking them.

It's really holding me back from getting well, thus I'd like to know how I can change that.

Thanks! [Smile]

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------
My Lyme dx:11/05. My Mom's Lyme dx:5/16. ISO ASAP-Lyme Literate Dr & Neurologist-Prefer IL, IN, KY, MO, OH, TN. Can travel farther. Finances limited. Prefer Drs take Medicare or Payments. Need great list to find best fit. Tyvm.

Posts: 701 | From Owensboro, KY | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

sparkle, im in an old victorian too and my health went down when i moved here, but as my luck goes i was bit by a tick too at the same time.

old victorian homes are tough, my neighbors have mold problems too.

you raised some good questions.

--------------------

-Schopenhauer

Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparkle I have a friend that lives in Las Vegas and she feels there is much less mold there than Calif. but the pollution in the air in LV seems way worse there then where I currently live. The homes there are at least newer and not as run down as some of the homes around here.

You are right any house in any climate could get mold problems due to a leaky pipe that is not taken care of promptly or correctly.

I would like to find a warmer more mold free climate. Most of the buildings were I currently am living are rather old and many of them have not been kept up very well especially the rental units. Some rental units reek of mold when you first walk in to look at them and you have to wonder who would rent them.

I think mold is a giant problem in the USA.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

For those interested in mold, the "sickbuildings" group on yahoo is very informative.

Sparkle & can'tgiveup can you describe your old Victorians? I had been browsing/househunting in Nyack NY with many beautiful old Victorians. I didn't notice mold in any except one had a moldy basement. This was in contrast to househunting on coastal Long Island where they had many crawl spaces, unfinished basements, all moldy and some houses I could smell mold throughout. Only one house in Nyack used Glade, about half in Long Island didp robably to cover up the mold. The basements in Nyack seemed good mostly. WHere did you find the mold problems? When you went into the house did you notice any problems around windows, or spots on walls, or water intrusion?

I was advised to spend time in a house, maybe overnight, before buying. Also you can moisture test walls etc.

One of the moldier homes I was ever in, which gave me bronchitis symptos and I had to leave after a week, was in Santa Fe, a very dry place. But a cottonwood tree had worked its roots into the septic pipes and water had seeped into the foundation and walls. There was also a similar mold problem at the Santa Fe library making employees sick and they had to remediate.

So climate is not such a good indicator of mold. Construction is the problem.

If a house is permeated that would be no good. If there are hotspots and it is not stachy, I think you can remediate.

People don't realize a pipe could be leaking, or moisture could be venting into the attic improperly. Homebuilders make shortcuts they think the owner won't notice. New homes can get moldy too.

I really would like to hear more about your old Victorians, because I love that kind of house.

Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jjeennnniiee:

As I mentioned, I have one of the many mold genes and the biotoxin genes.

When I was treating my Bart, I would take my abx in the morning and then my cholestyramine in the evening.

Cholestyramine should be taken at least one hour away from food or meds or it will bind the meds and take them out of your body.

I kept them at least 4 hours away from abx, the most important med that needed to stay in my body.

I would, literally, take a pkg of cholestyramine powder at 7pm, 8pm, 9pm and 10pm. I really had to take 4-5 pkgs a day because of my gene disposition.

That equals approx 16-20 grams daily. I bless the day when I discovered the capsules because they are sugar free and much less wretched to take.

So, I would spend the first half of the day herxing from the antibiotics and the scond half of the day (mostly sleeping, thank goodness) herxing from the cholestyramine.

It was hell but it eased up after about 2 1/2 mos. You MUST take a stool softener if you're taking that much CSM daily because it is constipating (which, ironically, defeats the whole purpose).

My LLMD told me to take just any pharmacy brand magnesium citrate and that seemed to work fine.

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Best,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all.

So, I was looking at the website Scott used for testing his residence- do they sell a kit, or does the company go to your house? I'm confused.

I got exposed to a mold at a neighbors about 1year and 1/2 into treatment. My LLMD put me on Dr S's protocol right away, but our feeling is CSM/Actos caused some major complications for me.

My LLMD has seen this happen in some of her other patients as well - females.

I have the "dreaded genotype" by the way!

I know CSM has been a lifesaver for many, but for me it was not the panacea I was hoping for.

As far as I know Dr. S has not admitted publically that it can have this effect for some, so that irks me.

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Kit - connects to vacuum cleaner

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the older buildings since they are usually sturdier, have large windows placed in proper places for cross ventilation, & have nice details such as wood floors, interesting molding, etc.

The problem with this house where I live is that after living here for many years, the landlord informed us that there was asbestos in the basement. It had to be remediated since they decided to sell the building.

The other thing is that they didn't clean the gutters very often. When it rains, water cascades down over the gutters & I'm sure it gets into the walls & roof.

I don't overtly smell mold (& I have a good sense of smell) but I think there are issues here.

I also came down with Lyme just after I moved here. Literally, within the first month.

I don't really trust newer buildings since they cut corners & use toxic materials that outgas. You also can never tell if the construction workers sealed moisture into the wall due to being in a rush to complete the building project. It happens.

I was looking into relocating & there are a huge amount to superfund sites in NJ. I was surprised to learn that there are several right in & near the town where I live.

I was also thinking about the southwest but you really have to check these things. One town I was considering is downwind of where they tested nuclear bombs in the 50's. Many people got cancer & died there. I don't think this stuff goes away.

You have to be so careful! It's not just the mold but there are many other dangerous toxins to watch out for.

If you are considering moving - google the name of the town or state & superfund site. There are maps of these things. Many are not listed or out in the open - so you have to check into it further.

I've lived here about 17 years & I didn't know there are superfund sites, basically, next door!

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes - my town has a Superfund site in it!

Actually, the Wikepedia entry for my town highlights that we have a Superfund site right in the middle of it!

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does one go about testing your home for mold?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Here is a good book:

Surviving Toxic Black Mold SYndrome, Mary Beth Short-Ray, M.S., D.O.

She had aspergillus in her home and had it remediated.

However she had high levels of stachy in her office (a group practice) and left (I guess not only was it dangerous but I'm not sure the rest of the practice was willing to acknowledge it?)

Then she had to treat herself for the biotoxins. She used various methods. She mentions zeolite which I am studying the research now, and Limu, among other things.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

CD57 - I believe you have to get special petri dishes that you leave out so molds can grow on the cultures. Then, you send them to a lab. I never did it but I've seen websites with the mold test kits.

Also, Scott & Clarissa mentioned a places on posts of this thread where you can get test kits from.

I imagine if you search google for "mold test kits" or "mold remediation" you'll get some results as to where to get the kits.

djf2005
Member # 11449

hey folks-

i will be moving in 3 weeks to a less moldy place.

question-

the new place has central air which is a plus.

i am told there are filters which one can buy around the 300$ range which can be installed in the central air unit which can trap up to 90% of all airborne mold/parasites, etc.

can anyone advise names, brands, installers, etc?

thanks

derek

--------------------

[email protected]

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Repost from another place:

Now...you are in luck...my daughter is allergic to mold and I was just (yesterday) doing research:

"Effects of mold oil containing gamma-linolenic acid (n-3) on the blood cholesterol and eicosanoid levels in rats."

Apparently mold produces/contains linolenic acid (Omega 3)

Linolenic acid (mold produces/contains) converts to arachidonic acid by human cells. Then this (AA) is further reduced by COX enzymes which trigger the prostaglandins (use AA themselves) which utilize it ***to mediate the inflammation***. See below.

If there is a LOT of exposure to mold ``toxins'' (lipoproteins containing linolenic acid), TNF alpha (proinflammatory cytokine) and perhaps IL1B kick in and trigger COX-2 (cytochrome oxidase) -> PGE-2 (prostaglandin 2) -> HO-2 (heme oxidase, a heat shock protein) -> Fe (iron), CO (yes carbon monoxide) and biliverdin which converts to bilirubin - the pigment in bile which is also released when RBCs die.

This is prob. why many lyme patients have problems with mold allergies developing too.

In Bb's proteins:

``The response of Borrelia burgdorferi to the challenge of reactive oxygen species (ROS) is a direct result of its limited biosynthetic capabilities and

lack of biologically significant levels of intracellular Fe.

In other bacteria, the major target for oxidative damage is DNA as a consequence of the reaction of ``free'' intracellular with ROS through the Fenton reaction. Therefore, cellular defenses in these bacteria are focused on protecting this essential cellular component.

This does not seem to be the case for B. burgdorferi. In this chapter, we describe methods that were used to analyze the potential targets for ROS in B. burgdorferi.

****Surprisingly, membrane lipids (e.g., linoleic and linolenic acids) derived from host are the major target of ROS in the Lyme disease spirochete.***

http://www.springerprotocols.com/Full/doi/10.1007/978-1-60327-032-8_17?encCode=Q0lNOjcxXzgtMjMwLTcyMzA2LTEtODc5&tokenString=QCtgQ7vZuhLRmreVCT8yvQ==&access=denied

Bb is USING linoleic (Omega 6) and linolenic acid (Omega 3) too.

These convert to arachidonic acid.

Bb and mold = a LOT of AA to deal with.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Arachidonic Acid is a major issue in cancer.

IngentaConnect Arachidonic Acid Cascade Enzyme Inhibition and Cancer

Arachidonic acid (AA) metabolites are lipid signalling mediators that play a central role in a broad array of physiological and pathophysiological processes, including cell proliferation and differentiation.

AA metabolism diverges into two main pathways, the cyclooxygenase (COX) pathway, which leads to prostaglandin and thromboxane production, and the lipoxygenase (LOX) pathway, which leads to the leukotriene and hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid production.

These inflammatory molecules exert profound biological effects that enhance the development and progression of human cancers.

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

yeah thanks guys i know the mold is an issue.

my question is....

hey folks-

i will be moving in 3 weeks to a less moldy place.

question-

the new place has central air which is a plus.

i am told there are filters which one can buy around the 300$ range which can be installed in the central air unit which can trap up to 90% of all airborne mold/parasites, etc.

can anyone advise names, brands, installers, etc?

thanks

derek

--------------------

[email protected]

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Derek, google Jeffrey May and try to do a phone consult with him.
Central air is not always a plus, can easily spread mold spores everywhere.
He knows how/where to check central air, ducts, etc, and what filters to install.

djf2005
Member # 11449

where is he located oxygen babe?

central air is fine as long as u have the right filters. all the stuff that gets "blown" around is filtered like i said as long as u get the right one/s. they are expensive and need to be installed professionally.

--------------------

[email protected]

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UV destroys mold (corrected).

Get your DHEA and DHEAS levels checked.

If low...you may have the genotype (a subset of HLA) that needs more vitamin D3 and DHEA. If female...beta-oestradiol (E2).

Got acne, TMJ, asthma, dry eyes, low sex drive, allergic to cats and poss. dogs too?

Oddly...it is linked to a genotype prevalent just west of Scotland...Hebrides.

When I read that...it sent up an immediate "flag".

Those who know me...know my married last name...and why our daughter is at greater risk for various diseases and why she does indeed have mold induced asthma, acne, dry eyes, allergic to cats, etc.

For what it's worth, I suspect these would help:

1.Sunlight (for vitamin D3)

2.DHEA - AFTER TESTING

3.E2 (a form of estrogen)

4. DHA and EPA and CLA (NOT linolic or lineolic acids)

5.Phosphatidyl serine to rebalance the HPA axis.

6.Bee propolis if acne...and can't seem to rid staph.

7.Far infrared treatments.

[ 27. July 2008, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Derek, here is an excerpt from a post he made on a yahoo group.

'To prevent mold problems in an A/C system, you must use the highest
> MERV-rated filter you can. In window units, this means about MERV 8,
> and in central systems, about MERV-11. Remember, the purpose of this
> filter is to remove biodegradable particles to prevent mold growth
> within the system. Most biodegradable particles in house air consist
> of skin scales, pet dander, lint, starch (from body powder), and plant
> materials (like pollen and trichomes)all of which are larger than 5
> microns, so a HEPA-rated filter would be overkill. And a filter, no
> matter how efficient, will not ?clean? a system that is already
> contaminated with microbial growth.
>
> In a central system, every condensate line, whether it flows into a
> floor drain, sink or condensate pump, should have a ?U?-shaped trap.
> The best type of trap today is a transparent one so you can see if the
> line is clogging. These traps also come with removable caps so the
> trap and lines can be cleaned. The condensate tray is inaccessible in
> most A/C?s but if accessible, I don?t think that it is a bad idea to
> treat a condensate tray (or condensate pump) every once in a while
> with bleach, but don?t let bleach sit too long on metal components as
> this can accelerate corrosion. The bleach must be rinsed out.'

www.mayindoorair.com

groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I live where it is perty humid year round-

I HAD carpet in my house--

I visited my parents that live in the desert
and have Zero mold there -

The first day I was there I felt Better
and Had No Night sweats for the first time
in years -was there 10 days No sweats-

When I came home the second night I was here
the night sweats started again -

I did not have viable mold anywhere in my house-

So I pulled ALL the carpet out out of my house
and washed Everything I could with bleach water-

I then painted Everything I could walls- floor

Doing this helped me HUGELY -

Night sweats went away and did not return-
One Year -

It is Important to wear a GOOD dust mask
when you rip the carpet out -

get a 3M brand N92 or N95 mask $5 for 2 -

The N92 is best but hard to find -

Make sure to have carpet ect halled away -

I am 100% sure that if I had not fixed the mold
problem I would still be sick -

For Central air conditioning 3M makes a good
Micron filter - Home Depot about $20 -

NO mold is Good mold -Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

thanks for the info.

i lm for jeffrey may.

--------------------

[email protected]

groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

One thing you need to remember is
that Breathing Dead Mole Spores
will make you sick -

Dead mold spores are almost as toxic
as Live spores to you -Jay-

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Spores are not really alive or dead. You can kill the spores with heat or with ozone. Houses can actually be baked and kill spores, or ozone can do it.

For toxic molds however such as black mold they give off TOXINS that are resistant to 600 degrees and persist. Those can make you sick.

troutscout
Member # 3121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for troutscout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have for quite a while maintained that my problems are made worse by mold and its spores. I also suffer from a massive internal and dermal fungal infection at this time.

Trout [Wink]

--------------------
Now is the time in your life to find the "tiger" within.
Let the claws be bared,
and Lyme BEWARE!!!
www.iowalymedisease.com
[/URL]  -

Posts: 5262 | From North East Iowa | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement