LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » stopping all abx---C-Diff

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stopping all abx---C-Diff
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My PA has taken me off all abx due to risk of C-diff

I have been having watery/loose stools for a few weeks and she is concerned..

well now I am concerned.. I am so scared that this disease is just going to keep progressing. I havent REALLY begun to treat this and I already have to stop. All the while I am back to being bedridden.. and am so sick I feel like I am dying half the time. I need to finally start to kick this things *** , before it does me in. I have no quality of life.... I honestly am at a loss and dont know what to do anymore.....

Has anyone else had C-diff?? I am only on 250mg of Zith MWF and Plaquneil right now... Thats not much...

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't worry too much about reducing the antibiotics.....I remember one time I was vomiting with stomach flu and my LLMD told me it was okay to go off for a few days.

So just the loose stools caused her to suspect C-diff, or has it been all the other stuff you're going through too?
I have had those loose stools in the afternoons and sometimes evening for over a week, and I was starting to wonder about C-diff too.

I called LLMD today to ask about it but I think he might have been gone for the day. If I don't hear back from him I may call his emergency line.

That is weird though....it seems like we have been going through a lot of similar things.....last night my heart was racing.... [Frown] But it wasn't horrible.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my gastro suspected c.difficile with me also. i tested negative with several stool samples, but i had at least 5-6 diahhrea bouts a day and some looked like they were bloody and had mucus.

boy, i felt bad.

so he gave me flagyl, 500 twice a day for two weeks, and it cleared up.

i have to be really careful so i take tons of probiotics, digestive enzymes, you name it.

i'm always afraid of getting this again also.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I just looked online....mine doesn't sound as bad as C-diff, because I only have it about 3 times a day, and it's not bloody or mucus-y.

But, i have been SUPER dehydrated. Anyone else?

I have these electrolyte packs that you are supposed to pour in a quart of water, and I go through at least 3 packets a day.

I drink tons of water because I crave it, but still wake up with dry, cracked (sometimes bleeding) lips. (sorry to be so descriptive)

I don't know how to hydrate myself any more!!!!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I know: C-Diff USUALLY has a very foul odor= NASTY....learned this from TuTu.

Also Shandy, C-Diff can be tested for. Your doc did not order a stool sample?

I can't imagine your doc not suggesting further testing. Sometimes the side affect of abx alone is the runs, doesn't necessarily mean C-Diff.

I would inquire further and would also question what the treatment plan is.

Hang in there,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys

NO she didn't suggest testing.... no plan of action accept to stop abx, up probiotics and see how that goes... than gradually restart abx.

I dont know anymore... I feel like lately I am being misguided by every professional in my life... [Frown]

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Just got off the phone with my doctor....he wants me to stop everything but my Plaquenil, and add the Mepron and Zith back in a few days when loose stools go away.

He wants me to MAYBE add the Amox back eventually.

He ended the phone conversation by saying, "Have a decent weekend" in a monotone voice.

Decent? Have a DECENT weekend? Who says that?!?!?!? (sorry, it is bizarrely comical)

UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Oh Hoos... This blows [Frown]

Have a decent weekend.. Sure thing Doc, you too!

Why does he not want you to do the Amox again???

What is your doseage of Zith??

I am sorry you are going through this too.. We'll keep track of our loose stools than eh!

[woohoo]

--------------------

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Well, I was on the Amox when I started my Mepron/Zith, so I think he just said he was going to leave me on it to "see what happens." As in, see if I get diarrhea, I think.

I don't think keeping me on Amox was anything strategic. So it's not like it is CRUCIAL to my treatment right now, I gather.

I was thinking of going off it anyways....it has probably done all it can do since I have been on it forever.

I am taking 500mg Zith a day. I have heard Zithro can be rough.

I know people reading this will think this is stupid of me, but I am tempted to just drop the Amox and stay on the others. I really don't think I have C. diff.

But, I'll probably just take the Dr's orders.....

I agree with you, I am actually worried about causing resistance. Are you gonna be on Lymechat tonight? I want to talk about this more. Or at least gripe about it!

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it's C-Diff? You said she was afraid of that, but didn't say for sure.

It could be the Zith. It gave me loose, watery stools every other day or sometimes even every day. It was pretty bad. It also gave me weird sharp tummy pain. I'd think of maybe switching out the Zith (usually switched with Biaxin or something similar) and see if that makes things better. That is what I had to do. And yep, the loose stools stopped. I'd ask the PA about it.

From what I was told by my LLMD, Zith is a pretty common antibiotic that does give people loose stools, etc. I guess a lot of peoples' stomachs don't agree with the med. I know mine didn't. [Razz]

I bet, bet, bet you that Zith alone is the cause of your loose stools...

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought... perhaps get on something like Primal Defense Ultra (Garden of Life)-- no, no affiliation; it's just what I use personally- or another probiotic with that S. ____ species in it. Sorry, I'm drawing a blank at the species name. Others would know or do a search for it.

It's supposed to be a good one for C.diff prevention. I believe I also read somewhere that some docs are using it, combined with vancomycin, to help get rid of C. diff.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You MUST take s.boulardi in order to prevent c.diff.

I know it's found in Florastor [you can't take it with Diflucan or other anti-fungals] and you can purchase s.boulardi by Allergy Research Group.

You can buy it at www.vitacost.com.. not Florastor, the other one.

Yes, take tons of GOOD quality probiotics, but if you don't take specifically s.boulardi .. you'll be spinning your wheels.

I agree that Zith can cause the runs in and of itself, however.

Personally, I would stay off abx for awhile and make sure you have a clean diet... and make sure you have the s.boulardi too.

Hope you feel better soon!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wild condor knows a lot about c-diff.

there are new strains now, so the old testing doesn't always catch it

it's not right for the doc to be concerned about cdiff and not order testing. cdiff can be very dangerous.

mine tested neg consistently but also got better when i took flagyl so llmd thinks it was cdiff but primary insists it wasn't

wild condor wrote a good article on it in the public health alert and you can email her if you go to her site: wildcondor.com

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zith can cause loose stools, ive seen others post about it.

increasing probiotics will help and also taking florastor like lymetoo recomended.

Hang in there, sometimes our bodies just need a min break for things to reset.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shandy, she was also very concerned about my constant loose stools. She did take me off abx and test me for C Diff. I would be she's trying to see if it goes away on lower abx before she tests .... just a guess.

The ONLY thing that kept my diarrhea away (I was more like 10 times per day for a couple years) was VSL#3. Now I only take it as needed, a couple times per month, but I took it daily for several months.

Also, enula was a great help with the GI tract.

I also take Ultra Flora, S. Boulardii (sacharomyces), and Theralac. Avoid all sugar.

Hang in there .... it's not a sprint. You will get better. You are seeing someone very capable .... she listens to your body and what it can handle.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement