LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The Lymebrary is Open

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Lymebrary is Open
shazdancer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everybody,

I want to introduce you to the Lymebrary, a project of the Lyme Disease Digital Library, something I've been training for and working on for the past 2 years.

The Lymebrary is a website that gathers quality information about tick-borne disease, using collection methods used by consumer health libraries, and makes it searchable.

The archive includes many articles on both "sides" of the issue, and provides them without comment, believing that you, the reader, can make your own best decisions about Lyme disease. New articles are being added regularly.

Access to the archive portion of the website is password protected, but free -- like registering for a library card. It is restricted because in the future, we hope to add limited-access documents to the archive, like that full-text article you always wanted....

You can find the website at:

http://www.lymebrary.com

You can also view the out-linked portion of the archive outside of the website at

http://del.icio.us/lymebrarian

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Sharon Hawkes
Librarian
Lyme Disease Digital Library

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for doing this, great idea!
Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

Great idea, and though I have not spent much time at the site yet, it is a fantastic design; clear, easy to use, stylish.

The Lymebrary will be a great resource. Wishing you years of growth.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so great!

Congrats. [woohoo]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Sharon,

Fabulous. Too tired now to look around it but, at first glance, it is quite impressive.

This will make it much easier to refer people to the lyme literature. You might ask TreePatrol to add it to the NEWBIE thread.

Congratulations !

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi sharon,

thanks for the notice about this new library being available.

took a quick look at it; LOVED "ARIAL" LARGE PRINT on screens i'd seen.

EXCEPT BOARD OF TRUSTEES PAGE; could that be changed to ARIAL also so it is legible? it's too important NOT to know who all is involved in this project.

i'm one of those who can NOT read TIMESNEWROMAN that runsallwordstogetherlike thisforme!

thanks for your consideration! xox

i looked also at your 1st 100 entries of articles, etc.

how are these set up? didn't seem to be alphabetical, etc. and dates were OLD, 2008, late 1990s..

so if someone could explain that on your new site, that would speed things up vs. looking thru ALL TITLES shown of around 200 entries.

thank you all for your efforts in this project! [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, guys. A few people have said they could not find their password link in their email. If this happens, let me know via the Contact Us page on the website and I'll see what I can do.

Hi betty,

Yes, the font and design were chosen with Lyme patients in mind. The font on the Directors and Advisors page has been changed to a non-serif font this morning.

The search functions don't do everything I would like, but they are fast. The return order is pretty random -- it is probably returning in the order I indexed them.

The tag searching which is available now on the website searches by topic, title word, and document type. It also recognizes the Boolean term AND (in all caps), so you can use it to narrow a search. The first return will present more search terms to help you hone in on what you're looking for.

In the future, I am hoping to add a full-text search engine that will work like Google (but it won't be Google, because that would include advertising). I also have a few other ideas cooking -- one thing at a time.

There are currently over 150 document links in the archive. That is not everything, and not even everything that would qualify to be included. But I think you will find a lot of goodies!
[Smile]

Thanks for the encouragement,

Sharon
"shazdancer" on Lymenet

Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nessa1815
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15697

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nessa1815     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haven't had a chance to look....but I LOVE THE NAME. Very clever. [Smile] Made me chuckle. Not that it's funny...but very clever.

Like my brother says when he sees me cry, UUHH OHH, better call the "Waah-amublance" (Ambulance.) lol.

--------------------
"~*~My smile hides my bite~*~."

Posts: 506 | From N/A | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Thanks, Nessa.

{Bumping up for the evening crowd.}

Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice Nice NICE! [Smile]
Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kam
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 3410

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very good!

I feel it would be good to keep this on the top of the front page of lymenet Medical.

Posts: 15927 | From Became too sick to work or do household chores in 2001. | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sharon,

thanks for changing the font on the 1 page i mentioned; easier reading this way!! big thanks for listening!! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anneke
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Posts: 364 | From California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyPW8
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyPW8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brilliant!

[bow]

--------------------
Amy

Diagnosed April 29, 2007.

Posts: 136 | From Joplin, MO | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jjeennnniiee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jjeennnniiee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neat, well-fitting name and awesome idea!!!

[bonk] [woohoo]

Thank you sooooo much!!!

[kiss] [group hug]

Love, Light, & Health,
Jennie

--------------------
My Lyme dx:11/05. My Mom's Lyme dx:5/16. ISO ASAP-Lyme Literate Dr & Neurologist-Prefer IL, IN, KY, MO, OH, TN. Can travel farther. Finances limited. Prefer Drs take Medicare or Payments. Need great list to find best fit. Tyvm.

Posts: 701 | From Owensboro, KY | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Glad this has a permanent place at the top !

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Thanks, Lou, and thanks everyone for your endorsements.

You might also be interested in the blog links, which are on the right on the homepage. The Quote of the Week will offer medical and other literary quotes that might pique your interest, and the Lymebrary Desk blog will offer search hints, information about new documents or features, and anything that might be of interest to the Lyme community.

Happy searching,

Sharon

pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 - for doing the Lymebrary!

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not get a password after registering and have sent a message re contact us page.

Since I haven't seen this yet, I am wondering how it compares with the lymeinfo.net website which has been operation for some years now.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Aw, thanks, Meg! I appreciate those of you who have websites linking to it, as that helps raise the site on Google and other search engines.

Lou, I got your message, and hope that you are all set now. Apparently, some spam filters are throwing the website's response into the deleted file. If people are not seeing the website response, they should check the junk file. If not, they can email me via the Contact Us page.

And don't forget to check back from time to time, as I will continue to add documents. You might also keep an eye (or keep an RSS feed) on the blogs, which will be updated periodically.

Regards,

Sharon
www.lymebrary.com

shazdancer
Member # 1436

-- I recently added a list of search terms to Subscriber page, which I hope will help when you are searching the archive. You can also easily search by author last name, or on words in the title of the article.
http://www.lymediseasedigitallibrary.com/lymebrary/index.php

-- A similar list can be found on the Delicious.com page, on the right-hand side. Just click on a term there to enact the search.
http://delicious.com/lymebrarian

-- If you are new signing up to the archive, don't forget to check your spam folder for confirmation.

Sharon

islandgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for islandgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go, Sharon.
Thanks for all the work you have done on your site, plus all the good replies over the years on lymenet.
Thanks

Posts: 190 | From BC Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kehren
Member # 15220

Icon 9 posted      Profile for kehren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Went to check it out today but received errors when I clicked on the subscriber's link and then tried to submit a request on the contact page.

This was the error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /usr/local/pem/vhosts/125246/webspace/httpdocs/wp-content/themes/3col_w-blog/database-tpl.php:7) in /usr/local/pem/vhosts/125246/webspace/httpdocs/wp-content/themes/3col_w-blog/database-tpl.php on line 8

Posts: 12 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Hi Karen,

I emailed you, and hope it is straightened out.

-- Sharon

eric555
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eric555     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi,

maybe make a section of all documented important, famous, & rich people there...

maybe they too will start using the web site, imagine the publicity then, and thus acting more for this whole lyme & co project.

just a thought.

[Smile]

Posts: 570 | From philadelphia, pa | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Sorry, Eric, it isn't going to happen. One of the important aspects of the Lymebrary is that people can use it anonymously.

The celebrities I sometimes mention as having Lyme have all spoken publicly about it. There are probably many more who do not go public with it. Remember, people might make themselves unemployable by saying that they could relapse at any time or that they have chronic pain or neurological problems.

I can tell you that we now have about 500 registered users, from at least 8 different countries and 5 different universities.

I hope to be able to add some features in the future, but outing users is not one of them. [Smile]

-- Sharon

schnuddelka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for schnuddelka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was long overdue, thank you so much for the gift of your time. You have saved and will continue to save lives! God bless everyone willing to do the right thing at any cost!

Thank you, infinity as my son would say!

--------------------
When given lyme make lymeade!
A tick check a day keeps lyme away! [email protected]
Raising awareness by creating as many lymebassadors as possible!

Posts: 158 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
attlse0609
Member # 19163

Icon 1 posted      Profile for attlse0609     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a wonderful resource...Thank You very much for the enormous effort and time spent!
Posts: 7 | From Michigan | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A major untaking and a fabulous site. Thanks so much !!!!

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Thanks for your encouragement, Dana, on our one year anniversary!

We currently have over 650 registered users, and will be working on reviewing and updating the archive (of some 300 links) this summer.

It has been a busy year for Lyme advocacy, what with films, books, and legislation on the state and federal levels. Yet the numbers of new cases is still on the increase in many areas, so though we are increasing awareness, we are still far from solving the puzzle.

Thanks to everyone who has fought this fight, quietly and loudly, all over the globe.

~ Sharon
www.lymebrary.com

springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.>

How long to wait for a password email.
I registered and did not get one..?

Thanks

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shazdancer
Member # 1436

Hi Spring,

It may be that the confirmation email went into your email's spam folder. Check there, and if you don't see it, send me a PM here or use the Contact Us form at the Lymebrary.

Regards,
Sharon

StopTheItchPlz
Member # 23266

Icon 1 posted      Profile for StopTheItchPlz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been reading the Lymebrary and have to comment on how helpful and fascinating it all is!

Thank you for putting this together. This is simply fabulous. Well done!!

Posts: 50 | From Midwest | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement