LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Why does lemon water detox us?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Why does lemon water detox us?
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any explanations? It would help keep me motivated to drink it! Does it help the gall bladder or the liver?

And, can all that acid hurt my teeth?

Thank you!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Hoos thats a good question??? I will be keeping an eye out on this thread, I would like to know too!!

I am dehydrated, which I KNOW is not good.. but I havent been able to buy water the past few days an dI will NOT drink tap!

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mookiewill
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mookiewill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might help

Apart from being an amazing body alkalizer/alkaliser, lemon water also gives the following health benefits:

* Lemons are antiseptic
* Lemon water has excellent digestive properties and can ease heartburn, bloating and other digestion problems
* Lemon water cleanses and stimulates the liver and kidneys
* Lemon juice contains calcium, magnesium and potassium
* Lemon juice has been known to relieve asthma
* Lemon water (hot) offers relief from cold and flu symptoms while providing some much needed Vitamin C
* Lemon juice is a great skin cleanser

Posts: 111 | From Mid Michigan | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hcconn22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hcconn22   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemon water combats the Lyme and makes Lemon/Lyme.

It's also a natural detox and Vit C

--------------------
Positive 10 bands WB IGG & IGM
+ Babesia + Bartonolla and NOW RMSF 3/5/09 all at Quest

And still positive ELISA and WB two years after IV treatment
http://www.lymefriends.org/profile/blake

Posts: 607 | From Tick Town, Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lemon/lyme... ha ha.

Sounds good!

I also really like green tea.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A fellow lymenetter recommended putting in some Stevia or Xylitol (whatever sweetener you use) into the lemon water, add some ice and it's a tasty lemonade.

It's a total treat! It's my new obsession. [Wink]

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i been drinking it like crazy

--------------------
DX'ed Lyme Disease: 7/7/2008
DX'ed Babesia, Epstein Barr, Liver Parasite 8/15/2013.

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedoffjan
Member # 15944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedoffjan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Clarissa, I am adding stevia to my lemon water and I LOVE it. Now I don't have any problems in drinking my recommended amount.

Jan

Posts: 90 | From Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much lemon do you squeeze into the water?? WHole lemon? Few squirts?? I would like to start doing this

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It becomes alkaline when it hits the system.

Powerful...very...

"Lemongrass" is good too, but above all...

limonene.

Molecular formula C10H16

Go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limonene

Read it all, but esp. near the bottom.

Aren't all your cleaning products now "citrus"?

Mine are.

And living in Florida, you bet I have an electric (easy to use and not expensive) JUICER.

Here too:

http://www.floridachemical.com/whatisd-limonene.htm

http://www.phytochemicals.info/phytochemicals/limonene.php

Look closely once you go to the above website...do you see CH3? Know what that is?

;-)

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
backintherain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for backintherain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone answer the part about the teeth?

Yes, lemons can be bad for your teeth. Particularly if you are sucking on them or drinking juice every day. My naturopath and doctor told me to drink the lemon water through a straw. Don't hold it in your mouth or sip it. After you finish drinking rinse your mouth with water or maybe even some baking soda dissolved in water.

Posts: 227 | From Northern CA (bitten in Illinois) | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD told me to drink it through a straw too -it can harm the enamel on your teeth I think

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow good to know about the teeth.

I squeeze half the juice of a lemon in a glass of water. I need to get back to my Lemon water - I do it for a while and then I get tired of it but it beats regular water and that's pretty much all I drink these days.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[ * Lemon water has excellent digestive properties and can ease heartburn, bloating and other digestion problems

I get heartburn if I drink to much lemon water. I love the taste of it, even without it sweetened.

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We drink lemon in our water because it cuts the lactic acid in our tissues (muscles) so they don't burn and cause us pain.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drink it through a straw to protect your teeth.

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what's the exact science behind what it does as far as alkalizing?

i've heard it neutralizes toxins?

What exactly does that mean?

Toxins(which are acidic I'm assuming) simply become alkalized and/or dissolved and get excreted from the body?

I felt a lil under the weather the other day and I drank 1 glass of lemon water and no joke, within 30 minutes felt GREAT.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unexpected-Buy a Brita Filter Pitcher. I use to buy bottled water all the time. Then saw the smallest pitcher for $10, I've saved a ton of money. And really-it doesn't taste any different.

I'm trying really hard to drink my recommended daily amount of water. I am at work all day so I bring a 2 gallon water jug to work with ice. Yesterday I think I drank 64 oz. I've noticed that if I don't drink water for a few days I start getting extremely bloated. After I drink the water I suddenly (is that spelled right?) start feeling not so bloated. I think it works for sure-don't know how but really feel different.

I didn't know that about the teeth. I've been drinking lemon water long before I knew I was sick. I love it-without anything but lemon and water!

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gmb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mix one whole lemon to 16 oz of water, then add 2 capsules of green tea extract. Mix all in blender. Pour the mixture into recycled water bottles and freeze them overnight. I keep them in a small cooler in my truck. One bottle is always on my desk as I sip down as it melts. Try to get at least 48 oz a day, plus straight water with meals.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to hate lemon in my water but am slowly getting used to it. Problem I have is that the lemons are expensive. And they are a pain to squeeze when your hand is weak.

Does anyone know if you can buy the lemon concentrate in a bottle and use that? Wasn't sure if it was as good for you as the real lemon? Thanks!

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.youngliving.com

Buy the lemon oil - it's about $11

Just one drop is extremely tasty and 10 drops twice a day will make your body alkaline - thus making it less hospitable to lyme, yeast, and cancer

I keep a bottle in my purse and take it with me everywhere

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jwick25
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15190

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jwick25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad I checked out this thread!

I have always hated lemon water. I would get so angry when I would order water in a restaurant, and it would have lemon in it.

I've been drinking it for a couple of weeks now and have come to really like it.

I'll have to start using a straw though...great advice!

Now, lemonless water tastes boring. [Smile]

Posts: 711 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do limes have the same effect on the system as lemons?

I just bought a bunch of lemons and limes thinking they would be similar.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertlily
Member # 13894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that I have not done for awhile, but after reading this thread I want to try for the next herx is this:

It comes from the site http://www.createvibranthealth.com/wp/

Lemon/Olive Oil Drink - for Liver/Gall Bladder Cleansing

"This is a delicious drink that stimulates bile production and helps clear the liver and gallbladder of toxins. It also helps your bowels move better.

Instructions: Blend in a blender the following:

1. 8-12 oz spring or filtered water.
2. 1 whole organic lemon - skin, rind and all.
3. 2-4 Tbsp. of extra-virgin organic olive oil
4. option: 1⁄2 inch of fresh ginger root.

Strain the drink to remove the pulp and add a pinch of cayenne pepper. Drink on an empty stomach at least 20 minutes before breakfast.

After drinking make sure to rinse your mouth with pure water to clean off any of the citric acid on your teeth, which can dissolve your tooth enamel.

Drink this everyday for seven days as part of your liver cleanse. Continue three or four days a week for three more weeks or as long as desired."

When someone told me about this drink before, they didn't tell me about the ginger or cayenne pepper, so I don't know if those help or not. But I thought someone might find this helpful, since helping out the liver and gall bladder is what we want to do when herxing.

Personally I didn't follow a set plan when drinking this drink, I just drank it when I was herxing and found it helpful, so whatever someone chooses to do with this, I think it would help,IMHO. (Thank you Karen [Wink] ).

Oh, also, you can add crushed ice in the blender and turn it into a slushie, great for the summer and helps to cut down the oil feel in the mouth. Although, I didn't think it was that bad.

--------------------
Susan

Posts: 80 | From Queen Creek, AZ | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks desertlily. sounds good
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pinky1356
Member # 25304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pinky1356     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone have any thoughts about the substitution of limes for lemons or even mixing them?
Posts: 25 | From AL | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lemons also act as a diuretic so don't over do them or you may end up dehydrated.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about the limes but good question.

I still wonder if using concentrate lemon juice that you buy for cooking is equivalent to an actual lemon? Not sure if anyone knows?

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Concentrated lemon juice has added ingredients you may not want to be using. Read the labels.

Lemon Juice is great, but be careful with forcing alkalizing - the body needs to be in certain pH states to detox, especially the toxic metals and chemicals. Toxic metals go into solution to detox only in an acidic environment.

As usual, balance is the key.

Drinking liters or gallons of water is even worse because the water flushes out the good minerals, the few that you are probably still able to absorb.

There is no detoxing without a balanced mineral base. Fluids yes, but not plain water. Soups, drinks that contain other nutrients that take time to be metabolized by the body; but not excessive water.

Dr. K. has been warning about this for a long time - even Dr. Oz brought up the subject of lots of water as a negative -

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good points, Gigi. I knew someone once who inhaled gallons of distilled water a day. Wow what a mess !
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wealdsteve
Member # 25281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wealdsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some info i found on lemon oil.

Organically grown lemons are stripped of their skins and the rinds are cold-pressed to extract lemon oil. A kilo of lemon oil is extracted from about three thousand lemon rinds. Some principal chemical compounds found in the lemon rind are the compound limonene, as well as gamma-terpinene, the compound called beta-pinene, the compound called alpha-pinene and the sabinene compound.

The meningococcus bacteria is killed off within fifteen minutes by the vaporized lemon essence, the typhoid bacilli takes just an hour to be eliminated in this treatment, in two hours the Staphylococcus aureus strain can be defeated using the essence, while the Pneumococcus bacterial strain will die off within three hours of use. As little as a 0.2 percent solution made of the lemon oil will result in the elimination of the diphtheria bacterial strain in twenty minutes. This same dilute solution also acts to permanently inactivate the tuberculosis bacterial strain.

The strong anti-septic like properties of the lemon oil is one well researched effect. Lemon also contains classes of compounds that are being investigated for their immune function in the laboratory.

Various types of digestive problems, soreness in the throat, persistent anxiety, blood pressure problems, digestive and different types of respiratory infections may also be beneficially treated using the remedies made from the lemon. The lemon based remedy aids the formation and development of leukocytes in the blood, it helps improve and boost the memory, it actively strengthens nails, and also induces a sense of well being in the person, while having a cleansing effect on the skin. At the same time, anti-depressant effects induced by the lemon oil have also been observed in human trials under clinical test conditions.

The therapeutic grade essential oil of lemon has a great potency, and there are no known virus or bacterial agent which can live in the presence of this oil for any length of time - not a single strain or viral particle capable of resisting this oil has been found to date. Viruses often mutate and develop immunity to any class of antibiotics; however, no virus has been able to breach the potency of the essential oils present in the lemon. Hospitals in Europe and England made extensive use of the lemon oil and it is still diffused these days as well. One very unique blend of the essential oils was placed under clinical trials at Weber State University, in order to gauge the potency of the antimicrobial actions; the results astounded the researchers as the kill rate of the oil was 99.96 percent against common airborne bacterial pathogens.

Posts: 65 | From Sussex UK | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemon juice has preservatives in it like sodium bisulfate and sodium benzoate, so I would not use it.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD has me drink lemon water daily, as well and water with sea salt in it for hydration and to alkalize. I love lemon water! (salt water..not so much lol)

I started coming down with a cold recently (which is unusual for me since I never get colds anymore)
I started drinking hot green tea with lemon juice, dash of cayanne pepper and 1/2 tsp of honey twice a day. My cold lasted all of 3 days [Smile]

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SEREN J WEED
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEREN J WEED     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would love to use lemons! But, could someone tell me how to do this with a very inflamed stomach.

Could I possible hide it in yoghurt or something? I'm going to buy some tomorrow and try to do this.

Thanks

--------------------
SEREN WEED

Posts: 116 | From LOS ANGELES | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertlily
Member # 13894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertlily     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good info wealdsteve, thanks! Helps to understand why it is so helpful.

--------------------
Susan

Posts: 80 | From Queen Creek, AZ | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wealdsteve
Member # 25281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wealdsteve     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been putting four or five drops of lemon oil into a hot bath most nights and if i stay in too long i get bart like rashes that flare up on my sides then go down a few hours later. really strange.

I have learnt a lot about the use of lemons to treat lyme by reading posts by psano2 who is treating with lemon and talks about some interesting ways to use it.

I am also detoxing each morning with a lovely drink of one whole lemon and olive oil an hour before i eat. Its not as bad as it sounds.

Posts: 65 | From Sussex UK | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement