LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » backsliding questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: backsliding questions
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now, I'm on a very aggressive treatment I feel and am wondering about cutting back to get a bit of my life back.

History: Sick & misdiagnosed for over 2 years
Went 1/2 time @ work Nov. '07
dx w/Lyme & erlichiosis Dec. '07
-started many supplements and prescriptions
-doxy (400 mg*)
**daily total listed**

-switched to omniecef in Feb. '08 (600 mg*)
-added azithymycin in March '08 (500* mg)
-stopped azith. after 1 month because of - ekg

-started iv doxy in May '08 (400ml*)
Bart suspected and started treatment
-added iv rifampin in July '08 (600 ml*)
-added tindamax in Aug. '08 (250mg*)

Of course, I'm taking other supplements and prescriptions to cover yeast & other fun yuck

sooooo my question....
How much would I backslide if I took a break from treatment to get away from the herxes and fatigue?
Would I feel any better?

I know I am not functional to the point that I can work full time. I am still going to try so I can pay the bills...not working is not an option. I will backslide one way or another.

I have spent the entire summer resting, sleeping, eating right, taking my meds and being a model patient. I feel I have made a slight improvement, but my patience and hope is thin right now.

I see my LLMD tomorrow...She will tell me to stay the course and not to work. I know I will cry...

Soooo back to my question...

What would you suggest to have the least amount of backsliding, yet be able to get up every morning and get through a day of teaching?

just "wantabe" well [Frown]

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07
Currently: Levaquin,Cefdinir,Plaquinil,Fluconazole
Nystatin,B12 meth, nortriptyline
Ambien,Clonazepam,many supplements
Dairy, sugar, gluten free diet
infrared sauna and exercise

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one can really answer your question about whether you'd flare (and how soon) after you stopped treatment to take a break or whether you'd feel better.

It's so different for everyone. Your LLMD might not even be able to tell you when YOU'd get worse or if you would while taking a break.

Some people start getting a flare-up as soon as they stop to take a break. Other people can go a few months and not flare up.

I was just on a two month abx break and did pretty good with it. I still had good and bad days, but it was a surprise that I did as well as I did.

Goodluck...

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Teaching is one of the hardest professions there is when it comes to our being able to do it. There is no way to do it from home, or to rest when we need it. We are stuck on the schedule we are given.

I know when I tried to go back part-time it was a disaster. At the end of the three months I was barely making it, and also glad it was the end of the year, since my duties decreased then.

I was not in a classroom at the time, but worked with small groups of children for remediation and enrichment.

You know your body the best, but in my opinion you will backslide if not on your tx plan, and then you will just end up worse, Who knows how long that will take?

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm in the same position. I have to go back to work August 20th, and I'm suffering from the Lyme flu and malaise during treatment. I've been trying to take it wasy all summer, but now I'm terrified of going back and not being able to do it. I took a 2 year hiatus, but if I don't go back this school year I lose my job and pension unless my reluctant doctors extend my disability.

God help me and wantabe!

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herxuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herxuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't a reduced dose get you by ?? I'm sorry, but I'm too scared of total breaks, as I fear giving free reign for them to multiply, putting you back nearer to were you started. A LLMD told me it can't breed on 2 or 3 gram of amox. But I see your treatment is for more than one, but you could still work something out.

Good Luck. Hope you come up with some good decisions for yourself.

Posts: 153 | From England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, thought some more about it. One thing that allowed me to teach as long as I did, until fall of 2001, was having a Diet Coke in my hand every morning by the time the kids came in and another at lunch. I don't drink coffee.

Perhaps some kind of stimulant, such as Provigil Adderall, or Ritalin, will allow you to work. I really think it is counter-productive to healing, though, just my opinion.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all your replies! It always helps to hear from others [Wink]

I'm just really down because the healing hasn't happened yet and I'm so tired of feeling like this...been a bit blue while being sickly-green.

I'll ask about reducing the tx.
I would hate to stop iv and then have insurance not pick it up again.

Caffeine was my saving grace before I started tx.
I can't count the cups of coffee and bottles of Pepsi I drank daily.

LLMD has taken away my caffeine (but I sneak 1/2 cup every Sunday after church [Big Grin] )
This truly is my only cheat on the *&%*Lyme diet.
Eating would sure help!

Going to stay over after my appointment tomorrow and relax at a motel- no dishes or worries for a day-too bad we don't have a "lyme spa" that caters to our needs...boy, that would be a crazy place!
[lol] thanks again!

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07
Currently: Levaquin,Cefdinir,Plaquinil,Fluconazole
Nystatin,B12 meth, nortriptyline
Ambien,Clonazepam,many supplements
Dairy, sugar, gluten free diet
infrared sauna and exercise

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement