LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What causes Bb to develop biofilms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What causes Bb to develop biofilms?
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm gonna get to the bottom line first..how's that for a change? ;-)

"Serine acetyltransferase is a key enzyme in the

sulfur assimilation

pathway of bacteria and plants, and is known to form a bienzyme complex with O-acetylserine sulfhydrylase, the last enzyme in the cysteine biosynthetic pathway."

Bb has replaced all Fe-S enzymes with those that use Mn. Bb does not use Fe or S.

If the gene for serine acetyltransferase (cysE) is NOT present = biofilm.

How did I get there?

I followed this path:

http://ethesis.helsinki.fi/julkaisut/laa/haart/vk/alitalo/compleme.pdf

Go to 8.11 when linked above.

Additional:

***Extracellular secretion of the Borrelia burgdorferi Oms28 porin*** and Bgp, a glycosaminoglycan binding protein

Proteomic liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry analysis of tryptic fragments derived from strain B31 culture supernatants confirmed the identity of the 28-kDa species as Oms28 and revealed a 26-kDa protein as 5'-methylthioadenosine/S-adenosylhomocysteine nucleosidase (Pfs-2), previously described as Bgp, a glycosaminoglycan-binding protein.

The ***release of*** Oms28 into the culture medium is more selective when the spirochetes are in logarithmic phase of growth compared to organisms obtained from stationary phase.

As determined by immunoblotting, stationary-phase spirochetes

released OspA, OspB, and flagellin.

Oms28 secreted by strains B31, HB19, and N40 was also recovered by radioimmunoprecipitation.

This is the first report of B. burgdorferi *** protein secretion*** into the extracellular environment.''

http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/histcomp/bassler-bl_citing/node/894.html

My note: It is believed it is only our response to flagellin which is long lasting....as we try to break it down.

Definition: The outer membrane-spanning (Oms) proteins

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=178274&blobtype=pdf

Above link only if you want to get REALLY into taking apart that protein.

``These exoproteins may be important in helping the spirochete to survive within the host, evade the immune system, and directly or indirectly cause pathology.

Several exoprotein genes have been cloned and recombinant protein will be used to test hypotheses that these factors play a role in the host-parasite interaction.

Oms28, a previously described pore-producing protein, may damage host cells.

Enolase, which is an enzyme involved in glucose metabolism and related to the same enzyme in streptococci that triggers protein degradation, may serve as a spreading factor following mammalian infection.''

http://www.middlebury.edu/academics/ump/majors/chem/hours/rcluss.htm

E. Coli produces the same...Oms28!!!

Next sentence is KEY!!!

``Loss of cysE ***enhances biofilm formation*** in

Escherichia coli''

Okay...what is cysE?

``The CysE enzyme,

*serine acetyltransferase*,

catalyzes the conversion of serine to O-acetyl-L-serine (OAS). This activating signal was also produced by Escherichia coli, and

production was abolished in a strain containing a null allele of cysE.''

http://www.garfield.library.upenn.edu/histcomp/bassler-bl_citing/node/919.html

Although SAT (serine acetyltransferase) of Escherichia coli, which catalyses the first step in cysteine synthesis."

Serine acetyltransferase is a key enzyme in the

***sulfur assimilation pathway***

of bacteria and plants,

and is known to form a bienzyme complex with O-acetylserine sulfhydrylase, the last enzyme in the cysteine biosynthetic pathway."

No need for sulfur = biofilm. No cysE gene(serine acetyltransferase)= biofilm.

Fe can destroy Bb...sulfur too?

Logically Bb does NOT want serine, esp. phosphatidylserine which rebalances the HPA axis.

Our most dangerous pathogens are those that use Mn.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Layman's translation for your wonderful research, please.

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8879 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mentioned Mn - Manganese. Can you comment further on how these bugs use Manganese? Manganese is a key in assimilation of bone and avoidance of osteoporosis which seems to be a problem that many of us develop over time.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes please translate.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's that pesky phosphatidylserine again. I hope that supp. helps me [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what if we supp Mn? Does this throw gas on the fire or does this help at all?

--------------------

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

up

--------------------

herxuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herxuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my understanding, it's Magnesium, calcium, boron, vit D, vit K and Phosphorus, needed to prevent osteoporosis. Bb likes Manganese, it seems to be what Marnie is saying.
Posts: 153 | From England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Just tell me what I'm supposed to do. I just can't think anymore -

(wonder if Ingrid Bergman had a little lyme brain going on in "Casa Blanca" - " . . . I can't think anymore . . . ").

-

I have read that allicin will help dissolve Bb biofilm but allicin is far to speedy for me.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
herxuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15873

Icon 1 posted      Profile for herxuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie says above, "" Our most dangerous Pathogens are those that use Manganese "" As Manganese seems to be in a many number of foods, then it could be hard to avoid. To my understanding, not good news.
[confused]

Posts: 153 | From England | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement