LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » eye pain back

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: eye pain back
Nal
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh Im tired of having these stupid flare ups! Ill go months and feel fine and then pooff!!! Right now its my eyes-again.

I get pain in both eyes and a little bit of blurred vision. My eye dr is very familiar with lyme and he tells me convergence disorder. Still, don't know a whole lot about it so i just don't know if i fit into it.

Im tired of the eye pain. Anyone else suffering with this lately? Im only on reglan and nexium. I do natural energy treatments which help a lot with they Lyme. I did have a detox this week and it seemed to flare it in the eyes-why??????

Nancy

--------------------
Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you respond to it!

-Chuck Swindoll

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did call my eye dr and i go back to see him again in Sept. This just sucks!

--------------------

-Chuck Swindoll

Posts: 1594 | From Colorado | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingattitude
Member # 17569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingattitude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey

I was looking to see if I could find anything similar to my eye convergence problems.

I have been diagnosed with lyme/babesia was having a hard time reading. Blurry, double, words move around page, bad eye pain, things appear closer to me, or the wrong size. It also looks like everything is "pixely" or grainy like an old tv screen.

Was sent to physical therapist specializing in balance problems associated with the ear, but she said my bouncing vision sounded like a visual processing problem.

I was referred to a doc who does vision therapy with people who have had some type of brain injury. My eyes are healthy, but he has diagnosed me with visual midline shift syndrome.

My brain thinks the center of my body is lined up with my left eye. This causes depth perception problems, balance issues, headaches. I wore temporary prism glasses on three occasions which would correct the problem temporarily. I now have permanent prism glasses which only help sometimes. At the time I had been diagnosed with post lyme syndrome, and this eye doc said something was still attacking my nervous system and I should seek treatment for the lyme......

I was also diagnosed with post trauma vision syndrome. This makes everything look like its moving. I did visual evoked potentials test and my brain is telling my eyes to look out to the side constantly. This causes headaches and extreme eye pain and makes things look slightly distorted. This is the source of my eye convergence problems.

I have been wearing my prism glasses for several months and have been doing home eye convergence exercises for over a year and Im having no improvements. I wonder if I should get another opinion.

Does anyone else have vmss or ptvs or eye convergence problems?

--------------------
-Love and Gratitude

Posts: 69 | From another planet far far away | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tad
Member # 14433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lovingattitude,

I have a question, is your eye pain in just one or both eyes? I think I have something similiar, never new there was a name for it. For me I feel it is like both my eyes see fine independently but when my brain puts the two pictures together it just isn't quite right. I also have horrible depth preception which the bumper of my car can attest to (I seem to park a little to close parking lot dividers).

Tracy

Posts: 41 | From Singapore | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingattitude
Member # 17569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lovingattitude     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Tad,

Yes, my eyes see fine independantly as well. What is wrong is that my eyes don't aim in correctly which has to do with fine motor skills. This can throw off depth perception as well.

The pain is in both eyes, its like the nerves or muscles surrounding them, and sometimes both eyeballs hurt as if theres alot of pressure in them.

--------------------
-Love and Gratitude

Posts: 69 | From another planet far far away | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

Hi you two. Yep, you are TOTALLY describing what I have with my eyes!! My dr says convergence disorder can be seen in Lyme patients. They treat it with adding prisms to your glasses. It does help. Do either one of you also get pin prick type sensations at times in your eyes? I will get that when I am extra tired.

--------------------

-Chuck Swindoll

Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On my!! Thanks so much---this is exactly what my husband has had (much better after many moons of treatment)

Check this abstract out-

Lyme Disease and Convergence Insufficiency: Is It a Near Fit?
http://aoj.uwpress.org/cgi/content/abstract/56/1/147

50% of the lyme patients in the study had Convergence insufficiency....WOW!

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme likes the eyes. I've read that there are ketes in the eye. They affect the nerves(also from the brain) and muscles.

I drink mangosteen juice (for me, the Ultra version; there are lots of kinds out there) and it stops all my eye symptoms. It's an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant juice. If you try it, go slow and drink a lot of water also.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lovingattitude
Member # 17569

Thanks for the abstract sojourner!

I wonder how long the "conventional treatment lasts"

My eye doc says Im just trying to keep my vision from getting worse...as the damage continues.

Im on ceftin, zithromax, and mepron. I have prism glasses and do eye convergence exercises (been doing them for 1 1/2 years with little improvement).

I am beginning to wonder if these visual problems will continue forever.

Although my eye doc said without the treatment for lyme, I would probably not be able to stand up right now because my balance would be so much worse.

I'm thankful for that, but really want to be able to read books for fun again!

At least I don't feel alone in this anymore! But also sorry to hear others have this too.

--------------------
-Love and Gratitude

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For hubby eye pain seems to be more related to babesia and bartonella -- just wanted you to be aware that it is not always Lyme that is the main problem.

Also, the reglan could cause blurry vision and maybe difficulty focusing -- the eyes are effected by cholinergic/anticholinergic meds. Might want to discuss this with your pharmacist.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nal
Member # 6801

I had to stop taking Reglan. My eye problems were only getting worse while I was on it. Now they are doing better. Still having issues, but they are much better.

--------------------

-Chuck Swindoll

lovingattitude
Member # 17569

Ahh, I also have babesia.

And I also take reglan.

--------------------
-Love and Gratitude

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement