LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » IDSA letters to Senators McCain and Obama

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: IDSA letters to Senators McCain and Obama
AliG
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9734

Icon 2 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IDSA letters to Senators McCain and Obama

excerpts with my bolding for emphasis & broken up for easier reading by the neuro-lymed(full letter at link):

BEGINNING:

quote:
September 5, 2008

IDSA/HIVMA Letter to Presidential Candidates

As physicians and scientists who are leaders in the fields of HIV/AIDS and other infectious diseases, we call on you to ensure that the next Administration promotes a science-based approach to important issues of public health policy, and we offer our organizations as a resource to you.

The Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) represents more than 8,000 in-fectious disease physicians and scientists devoted to patient care, research, prevention, and public health.

Our members care for patients of all ages with serious and life-threatening infections, including meningitis, pneumonia, tuberculosis, Lyme disease, antimicrobial drug-resistant infections, emerging infections, and those with cancer or transplants who have life-threatening infections caused by unusual micro-organisms.

The HIV Medicine Association of IDSA (HIVMA) is a national multidisci-plinary membership organization of HIV clinicians and scientists who work in HIV medicine across the United States and the developing world.
In recent years, we have become alarmed by the increasing intrusion of politics and other agendas into the realm of science and medicine.

Our goal is to ensure that decisions about infectious diseases are based on sound science, and in four areas in particular we are concerned that science has been sacrificed, to the detriment of public health: childhood immunizations, sexually transmitted infections (STIs) including HIV/AIDS, diseases that are transmitted through injection drug use, and Lyme disease.

and ENDING:

quote:

Diagnosis and Treatment of Lyme Disease

Another issue that has been clouded by unfounded controversy is Lyme disease. The lay media, some advocacy groups, and some politicians continue to promote unproven, potentially harmful long-term antibiotic treatments for Lyme disease, despite widespread consensus within the mainstream medical and scientific community about the appropriate diagnosis and treatment of Lyme disease.

Lyme disease is caused by an infection with a bacterium called Borrelia burgdorferi, which is principally transmitted by the deer tick. Treatment usually involves 10-28 days of oral antibiotics and is highly effective. When Lyme disease is diagnosed and treated quickly, 95 percent of people are cured within a few weeks of treatment. 5

In rare cases, people who have been diagnosed with Lyme disease and properly treated have lingering symptoms--typically, generalized pain, joint pain, and fatigue. These symptoms have been attributed by some to the presence of chronic Borrelia burgdorferi infection.

However, an extensive review of scientifically rigorous studies to date has determined that there is no convincing evidence that the bacteria persist after completion of the recommended treatment.

Despite more than 20 years of research, there has not been one scientifically valid study published in the peer-reviewed medical literature showing that the benefits of long-term antibiotic treatment outweigh the risks, which are substantial.

Long-term antibiotic therapy may lead to complications such as infections of the blood stream and a potentially severe and sometimes deadly infection of the bowel caused by Clostridium difficile.

Further, long-term antibiotic therapy may foster the development of drug-resistant ``superbugs'' that are difficult and sometimes impossible to treat.

As physicians, our goal is to help all our patients become well. To do so, we must be able to rely upon prevention, diagnosis, and treatment strategies that are supported by the medical and scientific evidence.

As an influential member of the U.S. Senate--and possibly as the next President of the United States of America--you are in a unique position to foster public health strategies that are well grounded in science. Nothing less than the health of the nation is at stake.

IDSA and HIVMA stand ready to assist you as a source of credible, science-based information about the full range of infectious diseases.

Does reading this make anyone else want to vomit?

"all" of their patients? NOT!!!!
"credible"? MY BEHIND!!!

They left out "selective and structured" before "science" in "well grounded in science"

Those SUCK-UPs! I certainly HOPE that ILADS has presented some opposition to this.

Should WE get busy writing letters to the candidates?

Bite me IDSA!

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UUGGGGHHHHH!!

The only thing I can say is that as more and more people get diagnosed the awareness will increase. The politicians that are on our side more than likely have some sort of close tie to the disease.

This letter makes me ill.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
alarmed by the increasing intrusion of politics and other agendas into the realm of science and medicine.

Oh, Ali, thank you for waking me up from a groggy
afternoon.

As soon as I stop laughing, I will think of something to say!

In the meantime, maybe we need to call our reps and senators to remind them about the luncheon on Sept. 24 (NatCapLyme project), and donate a bit, if possible.

(I wonder if the IDSA lobbyists helped to compose this letter....)

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They don't give a hoot about the 5% of us who are suffering! And I'm SURE it's WAY higher than 5%. Suck-ups!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
no_lyme_in_florida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for no_lyme_in_florida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Just wow.

Do these people have no shame whatsoever?

To the members of IDSA:

Your day will come, soon enough.

[ 16. September 2008, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: no_lyme_in_florida ]

Posts: 233 | From ft. myers, florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do these people have no shame whatsoever
Apparently not! Aren't they pathetic?
And they still want us to believe their
personal interpretation of"science"!

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Oh. My. God.

How very, very sad for all patients and all citizens who may someday be patients if they are not now.

The insurance industry lobby has to be connected to this. And politicians who admire people who just "pull themselves up by their bootstraps" will be prone to siding with the IDSA and seeing nothing wrong. They don't have the time - or sometimes, inclination - to look deeper.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leadmare
Member # 15431

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leadmare     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
serious and life-threatening infections, including meningitis, pneumonia, tuberculosis, Lyme disease, antimicrobial drug-resistant infections, emerging infections, and those with cancer or transplants who have life-threatening infections caused by unusual micro-organisms.

It is nice to see Lyme is at least now on record being included on the serious and life threatening list.

Somebody must have had a brain blip for that to happen in such a letter [Roll Eyes]

Overall, [puke]

Posts: 58 | From Virginia | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bring me a bucket, I feel sick.

I surely hope that ILADS has a letter of their own citing studies that are accurate.....

Any way to find out?

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
antsettler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7236

Icon 1 posted      Profile for antsettler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when you tell that persistence of spirochetes is imposible after antibiotics, and there is a case as mine 'post lyme syndrome' with spirochetes in blood, this weaken the argument

i'd like read broad opinions, not games of chess

Posts: 108 | From spain eur | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In the meantime, maybe we need to call our reps and senators to remind them about the luncheon on Sept. 24 (NatCapLyme project), and donate a bit, if possible.
http://www.natcaplyme.org/congressbriefing

You don't need to be from Obama or McCain's state to sponsor them - the more sponsors the better. And call their offices to urge them to attend the briefing as well.

Posts: 205 | From northern california | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
candlequeen
Member # 17054

Icon 1 posted      Profile for candlequeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is disgusting as anything to do with politcs is.
Posts: 72 | From Southeastern PA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah--could we get ILADS to send letters/research?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are starting to lobby early. I'm sure they would like to keep other Presidents from signing anything that might interfere with their control of lyme treatment. http://www.mts.net/~lymemb/Victories.html

What's ironic is that the IDSA is very much involved in politics and has no qualms about using politics to get what they want. A visit to Kennedy's office to squelch lyme legislation, a letter to the governors group when they were being investigated, this letter etc. etc...

The IDSA has a lot of nerve to themselves constantly use a polical venue to try to take away our rights via the political system.

Sorry IDSA, we have rights just like you do and we are going to use them to survive!!! [cussing]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
They don't give a hoot about the 5% of us who are suffering! And I'm SURE it's WAY higher than 5%. Suck-ups!!

Are you referring to the 5% that were able to test CDC positive or PCR positive, which as we know is EXTREMELY difficult to do in "post-lyme syndrome", EVEN when your autopsied brain will show a spirochete jamboree?

Yes they DO not care about that "5%". [Frown]

[shake]

Slimeballs

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leadmare:
quote:
serious and life-threatening infections, including meningitis, pneumonia, tuberculosis, Lyme disease, antimicrobial drug-resistant infections, emerging infections, and those with cancer or transplants who have life-threatening infections caused by unusual micro-organisms.

It is nice to see Lyme is at least now on record being included on the serious and life threatening list.

Somebody must have had a brain blip for that to happen in such a letter [Roll Eyes]

[bow] Good find! I blew right past that!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SUCKS BIG TIME!

ali, thanks for being on the ball and doing some investigating so this can be shot down by ILADS AND US, CHRONIC LYME patients nationwide!!

it woke me up too; i thought you wrote this and had to keep going back to beginning that the DUCKS wrote this boosting their EGOS again and again!~ [puke] [tsk] [toilet] [loco]

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by TerryK:
What's ironic is that the IDSA is very much involved in politics and has no qualms about using politics to get what they want. A visit to Kennedy's office to squelch lyme legislation, a letter to the governors group when they were being investigated, this letter etc. etc...

The IDSA has a lot of nerve to themselves constantly use a polical venue to try to take away our rights via the political system.

Sorry IDSA, we have rights just like you do and we are going to use them to survive!!! [cussing]

You go, girl!!! [rant]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I e-mailed a link to LDA, ILADS and AG Blumenthal. [cussing] [rant] [cussing] [shake]

--------------------

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just so you know... and so you can laugh too....

They are scared. They are the underdogs here. FINALLY!!!!

Let's everybody sing now...

Oh how desperate they can get... when everyone finds out they're all wet!

do dah do dah...

[lol]

They are not actually initiating a letter.. the ever-so-desperate IDSA is responding to letters, political actions and meetings that are ongoing (and NOT in their favor)... and trying to refute what is being done by the Lyme community leaders... and politicians supporting us.

They said in their letter... "The lay media, some advocacy groups, and some politicians continue to promote unproven, potentially harmful long-term antibiotic treatments for Lyme disease,"

Note they said SOME POLITICIANS. They are scrambling now... trying to do all they can to kick not only us.. not only our groups and leaders and doctors and labs... but the politicians now too.

The LDA has been on top of this political situation big time... never letting up the pressure.... and they are gaining lots of ground and WAY too much credibility for the IDSA to feel safe and secure in their ivory towers.

This is making the Bumsteere gang wiggle and shake.... hence the IDSA's wimpy, whining plea in their letter posted above saying...

OH PLEASE... Listen to US, the second best thing to the Almighty above ... and don't listen to the pion patients and their LLMD's and their politicians!!!

Soooooooooooooo... what do we do now?

Maybe we can send the IDSA members a box of kleenex to dry their eyes. For sure they are crying in their beer as we speak.

[lol]

But better yet.. if you hold on a few more days... an announcement to our community is being sent out explaining the political situation and what is going on... and then you'll see why they are trying to suck up.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

But better yet.. if you hold on a few more days... an announcement to our community is being sent out explaining the political situation and what is going on... and then you'll see why they are trying to suck up.

++++++++++++

Sounds good to ME! Do dah, do dah!! [Big Grin]

Bunch of whiners! There's a tear in my beer! [Razz]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Al
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Al     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Death of Medicine

No Cure, No Vaccine, No Treatment
By Nicholas Regush

There is no way to be nice about this. There is no point in raising false hopes. There is no treatment or vaccine in sight. There is no miracle breakthrough on the horizon.

Medicine, as we know it, is dying. It is entering a terminal phase.

What began as an acute illness reached the chronic stage about a decade ago and progression towards death has been remarkably swift and well beyond anything one could have predicted.

The disease is caused by conflict of interest, tainted research, greed for big bucks, pretentious doctors and scientists, lying, cheating, invasion by the morally bankrupt marketing automatons of the drug industry, derelict politicians and federal and state regulators - all seasoned with huge doses of self-importance and foul odor.

As a journalist, it has become very plain to see how little anything the medical Establishment does these days can be trusted or taken at face value. Press conferences, journal articles, symposia - all are geared to spike and obfuscate the truth, to hide red flags from the public and to bulk up the shares of investors in the companies that are promoting the science and the researchers.

Like a disease that festers to the point of no return, medicine has reached that line and stepped over it.

Item: A well-known expert in prescription drugs tells me that it is no longer possible for him to fight the system. His wife has made it clear to him that she is losing out on the good times and wealth that "all the other wives" are enjoying.

So he has thrown in the towel and now expects to get the perks that all the other guys are getting: free trips to conferences, invitations to give speeches at luncheons, research funding without having to beg for it, and so on. He is sad about this - but hey what can you do?

Item: Dr. David Healy, a well-known Welsh expert in psychiatric drugs is approached by an agency representing an antidepressant manufacturer. He is invited to speak at a symposium. The deal is that he will write a paper for a supplement based on his talk.

The agency tells him that their ghostwriters will actually produce the paper, based on his previous work. He says no. He writes his own paper but the agency also wants the ghostwritten paper to appear in the supplement because it had some "commercially important points." The agency finds another "expert" who will lend his name to its "paper."

Item: There is more noise being made these days about who pays for research published in journals. But what about research published in books? And who actually reviews these "books?"

Do we have any idea of how many medical books are actually financed by industry? No, we don't because most people don't tell who their backers are. This has been a non-issue.

Item: Whose agendas are fueling medical research? A case in point: Should Cancer researcher John Mendelsohn, who is president of the University of Texas MD Anderson Center in Houston, sit on the corporate board of ImClone?

This is a biotech company that has been developing a new anticancer drug. Forget for a moment that ImClone is being investigated by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (Did the company mislead investors about the cancer drug?) Does it make make any sense for John Mendelsohn to have ties to ImClone? Can we trust that MD Anderson is looking out for its patients first?

Item: A scientist with ties to research at the National Cancer Institute managed to convince an editor of an obscure cancer journal to publish a paper that had been previously rejected. The journal's editor, a buddy, had also been involved in the research that was featured in the paper.

You're right. This is all very depressing. It goes on and on. Any enterprising reporter could put a list together of thousands of examples like these of how both the giants and the pipsqueaks of modern medicine have sold out and can no longer be trusted.

I feel bad for the physicians who do care about their patients- and yes, there are still many of those around. Day in and day out, they turn up at their community or hospital offices and meet with people who need help. And they mend wounds and take the time to do careful histories. They usually are not the type who go to big conferences and give speeches.

The problem, unfortunately, is that the foot soldiers rely on the information from the monster pack that has ripped away the heart of medicine and now they will also watch it die, as they have known it.

Posts: 789 | From CT, | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't lawyers sue the snot out of them for making all these false statements? There are loads of research material even in pubmed that prove long-term treatment is needed.

On top of that all their research papers supposedly proving 28 days is enough are flawed in more ways than foreign policy is in the middle east.

I've actually read papers IDSA cites, and they either don't retest subjects after treatment and just "say" they're cured yah! Or they'll do something stupid like PCR and since it's negative yah! they're cured. And very very few papers address late stage lyme at all. Most all address the few patients they managed to catch at the start of their illness.

Then there are a ton of studies where they have subjects that test positive for lyme and treat it for 28 days, then when they continue treatment after than the subjects don't improve anymore. Yet they never ruled out any coinfections, so of course extending abx for lyme won't work when the patient was actually co-infected with babs, bart, or myco the whole ^@$& time.

Studies done by 8th graders at a science fair are more legit than the incomplete studies they reference.

Is anyone a lawyer on this board? I'm really curious about what kind of business can be done.

Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by pryorka:
Can't lawyers sue the snot out of them for making all these false statements? There are loads of research material even in pubmed that prove long-term treatment is needed.

On top of that all their research papers supposedly proving 28 days is enough are flawed in more ways than foreign policy is in the middle east.

I've actually read papers IDSA cites, and they either don't retest subjects after treatment and just "say" they're cured yah! Or they'll do something stupid like PCR and since it's negative yah! they're cured. And very very few papers address late stage lyme at all. Most all address the few patients they managed to catch at the start of their illness.

Then there are a ton of studies where they have subjects that test positive for lyme and treat it for 28 days, then when they continue treatment after than the subjects don't improve anymore. Yet they never ruled out any coinfections, so of course extending abx for lyme won't work when the patient was actually co-infected with babs, bart, or myco the whole ^@$& time.

Studies done by 8th graders at a science fair are more legit than the incomplete studies they reference.

Is anyone a lawyer on this board? I'm really curious about what kind of business can be done.

My sentiments exactly. I've read some of their "studies" and found what you found. How dumb do they think we are??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sentiments exactly. I've read some of their "studies" and found what you found. How dumb do they think we are??
-----------------------------------------------------

Really it is how dumb do they think McCain and Obama are? It was written for them.

Lets hope they are both "smarter then the average politician"

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07
Currently: Levaquin,Cefdinir,Plaquinil,Fluconazole
Nystatin,B12 meth, nortriptyline
Ambien,Clonazepam,many supplements
Dairy, sugar, gluten free diet
infrared sauna and exercise

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem is McCain, Obama and the people working for them don't have the time to do all the research sick people with no lives like us have... Or at least I wouldn't think they would.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anyone else heard this, but Obama did make mention in one of his speeches that global warming was contributing to an increase in insect-borne diseases (among other things).

It's possible that he could have some knowledge of Lyme (or is this just wishful thinking??)

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fyi,

obama DID sign on as CO-SPONSOR OF S 1708 lyme disease bill after i wrote him in july 08 and perhaps the illinois folks lobbied him too!!! that's a start. [bonk]

mccain has NOT SIGNED ON AS CO-SPONSOR in spite of all the countless efforts our arizona friends have done to pursuade him! [cussing]

Allie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Allie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this letter makes me want to cry.

Thank you, Tincup, for offering some HOPE in your reply. I do pray this is a desperate plea by the IDSA.

Oh dear, dear, dear.

I have faith in science. And science will prevail. It will continue to give us answers, but the speed at which this happens is completely dependent upon POLITICS (and hence funding).

This is sad, sad, sad.

Allie

Posts: 300 | From Northeast | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

AGggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

TINCUP - You dog-gone TEASE!!!! [tsk]

I HATE it when you DO that!!!!

I LOVE when you have good news [Big Grin] ,
but I HATE IT WHEN YOU TEASE ME!!!!!!

Tell me, tell me now, pleeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!

I NEED GOOD NEWS!!!!!!

I NEEDIT! Please let me have some good news.

pretty please. [Frown]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Al,

W O W!

That's really some find.
thanks for sharing it.

Tincup,

NOW would be a really good time to share good news because AL's post really made me sad.

[Frown]
please

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

quote:
Originally posted by bettyg:

obama DID sign on as CO-SPONSOR OF S 1708 lyme disease bill after i wrote him in july 08 and perhaps the illinois folks lobbied him too!!! that's a start. [bonk]

mccain has NOT SIGNED ON AS CO-SPONSOR in spite of all the countless efforts our arizona friends have done to pursuade him! [cussing]

HHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmm.........

I wonder if we could get Obama to make a big deal out of McCain's lack of support for those suffering from Tick-borne diseases?

We could feed him all the information that shows how grossly under-reflective the CDC's numbers are. Show him the epidemic magnitude of this, IDSA corruption etc.

Can you IMAGINE getting coverage for our plight in a CAMPAIGN SPEECH or TV ad, from a presidential candidate?

He might even stand to get people who have become completely DISGUSTED by the politics in this country to drag themselves out of their sick-beds to go vote.

If HE picks it up & makes it a big deal, how long do you think it will take for McCain to sign on and say he'd been meaning to do that?

[Big Grin]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Maybe everyone should e-mail Obama's campaign thanking him for his support of the bill, when McCain has resisted lending his support. [Big Grin]

If they see it is important to a large segment of voters, it could be an angle to get some publicity.

[spinning smile]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

Have I mentioned lately that I hate the IDSA guidelines authors?

At the risk of repeating myself....

I HATE THE IDSA GUIDELINES AUTHORS!!!!!! [Mad]
[cussing] [rant] [cussing]

I try very hard not to hate because it's such a negative emotion, but I just can't help myself where they're concerned.

I'm really not proud of myself, but I really can't help feeling that way.

They make me sick!!!
(and they keep me sick too [Frown] )

--------------------

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I caught this too and found it kind of funny that in one paragraph it is dangerous and life threatening but in another it is easily cured in 21 days.

As for faith in science, I have none. Science is looking only for chemical answers as that is where the money is and where the funding is obtained. Clearly it is not where the answers are as they have been dismal failures at curing most of the chronic diseases out here today.

And, while we are talking politics, are any of you watching our country go belly up? Do you know what will happen to us who are sick when we no longer can obtain medical care of any kind? Not conventional, not alternative, not private, not government. There will be no money, no insurance, no one in business to help us and we will have no money to pay them if they are.

sigh....things are much worse than stupid ole' IDSA.

Do you realize that when AIG nearly fell, not only did the Federal Reserve have to put money into our economy to keep us going, but Bank of England had to put money in their economy and Bank of Japan had to put money in their economy as did Sweden and Australia and Asia's market tanked all because of AIG? Can you believe how one company's collapse would have collapsed the entire world's economies?

Does anyone understand how fragile we all are if one company's collapse would bring down the world?

In such an environment, do you realize how easy it would be for one person with the right backing to take over the world? Watch out when someone says they are going to "change the world". You better make sure it is the right kind of change. That is not a political statement either. I don't care which party you vote for, they are one and the same. Neither party can stop what is happening to America.

IDSA is small potatos compared to what is happening right now, right here and everywhere else too. No one will have any money to make drugs, prescribe drugs, buy drugs.

We, the sick, will be the first casualties.

Sorry to be Chicken Little, but the sky is already falling. America is broke. Uncle Sam is living on a credit card and the debt is about to be called in.

No matter what promises are being made by politians, they can't even begin to keep them. Where will the money come from? Nope. We will be "LEFT BEHIND FOR SURE". That is not a religious statement folks. That is a fact.

IDSA is the least of my worries at this moment in time.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Well thanks so much for THAT little bit of sunshine, Ms.Killjoy. [Frown]

I'll bet YOU'RE no fun at parties. [Razz]

Seriously, that's really very unpleasant to contemplate.

I think I'll put my head back in the sand because thinking about that will likely just make me sicker since there's probably nothing I can do about it.

Is there anything I can do about that?

[confused]

OMG, that's AWFUL!!!!

That's why I hate to watch the news anymore. [Frown]

--------------------

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha-Ha! I don't know if I am any good at parties because I don't go to them anymore.

I bellied up to the bar and regurgitated on your post with that one. Sorry. Unfortunately, it is very real and I sure don't have the answer on how to fix it.

I watch financial news, the kind that gets deep into our economy and gives us the real story. Over a year ago, before the housing market in our area nose-dived, I saw an economist speak about the mortgage loan crisis that was coming and he said it would implode our entire economy. When he was asked what could be done to stop it, he said "Nothing. It is already too late."

I'm thinking that is still true today. I'm angry about it and want to know who is to blame, but so far when I try to figure that out, I just find a lot of finger pointing between democrats and republicans. Then I learn that Wall Street employees and their families are the biggest campaign contributors to BOTH political parties. Barrack Obama received the most ever given to any candidate and John McCain is just several million behind him.

AT&T sponsored a very exclusive, black tie, hard-to-get-an-invitation-to party after BOTH conventions. As Glenn Beck said "Its not who is speaking at the convention that is going to determine our future, it is who throws the lavish parties afterward."

Knowing that AT&T spent millions at each convention opened my eyes to the fact both parties are sold out to big business. I want to clean house and start over.

Well, can't do that. But we can make a lot of noise and demand some changes. For starters, flat tax across the board. People making little will pay little. People and corporations making a lot will pay a lot. Then government has to live within that budget just like the rest of us. This will stop so much corruption.

This will eliminate the IRS because everybody can figure 10% (or whatever percent) of their income. The displaced IRS employees can be retrained to be USDA, FDA, inspectors. I'm always hearing how we have a shortage of them. Also, they can be re-employed in the Securities and Exchange commission so we can regulate the Stock Market and stop all this corruption. They can beef up our other regulatory departments to and maybe we will actual police these corrupt businesspersons and politicians.

I don't want any tax increases and I don't want any tax cuts. No corporate welfare. No lobbyists groups. No special interest.

Drill! Drill! Drill! Til we pop out in China! We need to break our dependence on foreign countries that hate us. Now, I like the T. Boone Pickens plan of drilling shortterm while we build up alternative, renewable energy like wind, solar, nuclear.

We need to boot out everyone who has incumbant after their name and everyone whose degree is attorney. We need business people who know how to get the job done and balance a budget. We also need a strong defense.

Well, there's my suggestions. I'm against the IDSA too but right now I am really focused on the health of our country.

Luvs

--------------------

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Well that would certainly explain why I haven't seen you at all the parties I've been NOT going to. [Big Grin]

Maybe you should run. [Big Grin] I think that's the first thought-out possible solution to some of our problems that I've heard.

I hate watching politicians avoid giving answers.
I think I may have missed a debate if it's taken place already. Did I miss it?

One thing I'd know is where you'd stand on Tick-borne Diseases! [Wink]

--------------------

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

quote:
One thing I'd know is where you'd stand on Tick-borne Diseases!

Oh Yeah!

--------------------

0624sm
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0624sm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(< IDSA must have forgotten to mention all those reckless dermatologists who prescribe long term antibiotics for acne. And what about all those crazed dentists who prescribe long term antibiotics for gum disease? >)

Or is the IDSA only concerned about antibiotic abuse threatening people's lives when the illness in question is truly serious?

(< It must be much more important to withhold life-threatening antibiotics from the seriously ill who believe they are being helped by them than to withhold life-threatening antibiotics from the cosmetically ill who only want to look better. >)

[ 17. September 2008, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: 0624sm ]

--------------------
Dallas caregiver for husband Steve who has Bb, Cpn, Mpn, EBV, CMV, other Herpes family viruses

Posts: 51 | From Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AliG:

quote:
Originally posted by bettyg:

HHHHHHmmmmmmmmmmm.........

I wonder if we could get Obama to make a big deal out of McCain's lack of support for those suffering from Tick-borne diseases?

We could feed him all the information that shows how grossly under-reflective the CDC's numbers are. Show him the epidemic magnitude of this, IDSA corruption etc.

Can you IMAGINE getting coverage for our plight in a CAMPAIGN SPEECH or TV ad, from a presidential candidate?

He might even stand to get people who have become completely DISGUSTED by the politics in this country to drag themselves out of their sick-beds to go vote.

If HE picks it up & makes it a big deal, how long do you think it will take for McCain to sign on and say he'd been meaning to do that?

[Big Grin]

ali/others,

last sat. i started working for our county OBAMA HQ for 2 hours of data entry into their computers. i go again this sat. and will probably go every sat. for max of 2 hrs. to help data entry.

i will prepare something and take to the office to the HEAD PERSON there about the possibility of OBAMA having something in his TV ADS/MAILERS ABOUT SUPPORTING THE LYME/TICK-BORNE DISEASE BILL.

won't hurt to ask; i've been told no more than once! lol [lol] [Big Grin]

TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well luvs2ride, I hear ya. We've been there before. Remember the 70's? Bad recession, deep debt, gas lines etc. etc....

Corrution has been around for eons. That probably won't change or if it does, it won't be eliminated. It is the nature of the beast (human behavior).

We got out of debt before with the Clinton administration and we can do it again.

Alan Greenspan leaving probably has something to do with the housing horror that is going on now. I marveled over the years at how well he did at keeping things under control.

My husband trains technicians for Vestas - a wind power company. They hosted an event for McCain. Guess what he talked about? How much we need nuclear power!!! No kidding!!

An alternative energy source company paid tons of money to sponsor him to come to Oregon to speak and he had the nerve to mostly talk about how safe nuclear power is and how much we need it.

I don't think we'll be developing many alternative energy sources if he is elected but I do see that many animals in Alaska will die and who knows what other damage will be done due to oil drilling.

We DO need to be concerned about the IDSA. They are a big deal to me since they can directly affect the cost of my treatment and that of many others. The more people that go untreated, the sicker the world becomes.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Ms. Ants-In-Her-Pants...

Yes you.. AliG... you said...

"AGggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! TINCUP - You dog-gone TEASE!!!! I HATE it when you DO that!!!!

I LOVE when you have good news, but I HATE IT WHEN YOU TEASE ME!!!!!!

Tell me, tell me now, pleeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!!!!!

I NEED GOOD NEWS!!!!!! I NEEDIT! Please let me have some good news. pretty please.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

Silly girl! [lol]

Ok.. I am NOT trying to tease. I am excited (and feel blessed) when I get to see what work is being done on our behalf.. and I think it is great we will be getting an update.

I actually thought the announcement of what's been done was coming out shortly after I posted what I did here... right on my heels I thought. I actually checked my emails to see if it had come through yet before I hit the post reply button. It hadn't. BUT..

I got concerned too when I didn't see it by this morning.. so I called to check on it.

Keep in mind the ONLY reason I sometimes know an announcement is forth coming is because I am up late at night and am sometimes asked.. as a last resort.. and when all others are asleep.. if I can edit something.

I am not affiliated with the LDA as you know.. but sometimes .. when they can't find anyone else CRAZY enough to be up so late at night... they get stuck with me... I am sure to their dismay. HA!

This latest editing job happened over the weekend.. so I've been sitting on it since... waiting for the final version to be released.

But anyhow.. today I found out someone was away from their desk (other Lyme work) and needs to check it over before it goes out.

Just so you know.. nearly every single letter, email, note, etc done on behalf of the patients and doctors in the Lyme community is checked by a number of others before, during and after being acted on. No ONE person makes ALL the decisions.. which is a good thing. But anyhow...

The final check over by all involved was delayed a bit... sorry! As per their own policy... until all people give a thumbs up... the news won't be ready for prime time.

A hint- if you promise not to tell... ok?

[Big Grin]

My impression of it anyhow...

The LDA has been working their fingers to the bone.. as usual.. and a number of important avenues they have been working on are showing good progress. POLITICS is SO SO SLOW!!!

But now they have the "ears" of those in power to help us after years of working with them and educating them... and those people have been responding positively by taking important actions... some we've all been wishing for or fighting for but haven't had come through yet.

THAT is why the IDSA has been actively scrambling for many months now- since after the bill started getting in their faces... and why they have been making appointments to see Congress and taking time to write to the new administration to try to head off the LDA at the pass- like the letter you see here.

The IDSA knows their number is up... and they are up against two powerful organizations... LDA and ILADS.. with the help from a growing powerful force... YOU ALL.. the patients.

So when I saw this pitiful letter by them.. I knew it was in response to what the LDA has been doing. It fits perfectly. They are feeling the PINCH!

As soon as the news is ready to go... someone (maybe me?) will post it.

OK, Antsindepants?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tincup, can't wait until you/others will post the latest UPDATE OF NEWS!!!!

we're all antsy now. believe someone mentioned GREENSPAN; he did quite well for us all over the years; didn't he? xox

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want all you ants-in-pants-people to know I stayed up late JUST so you all would have this ASAP.

[lol]

We are making progress! Yippeeeeeeeeeeee!

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=071847

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

AliG
Member # 9734

GOOD JOB BETTYG!!!! Way to pick up the ball & run with it! [woohoo]

I so admire your FEARLESSNESS! [kiss]

Looks like we've got a "man on the inside" [Big Grin]

I sure hope your efforts pay off! [group hug]

Hey Luvs!

It looks like maybe you have a potential running mate! [Big Grin]

Terry's got the energy angle covered and I know where she stands on TBDs too! [Wink]

--------------------

AliG
Member # 9734

As for YOU, Ms TINNY TEASERPANTS!!! [Razz]

I know that additional teasing post,

which had me tossing and turning all night trying to figure out what you were withholding [bonk] ,

was probably REALLY posted so that you could get me to call you "Tinny Teaserpants" again. [lol]

I know you like that nickname. [Big Grin]

Thank you so much for staying up late so that I (we) could read the news this morning! [kiss]

Unfortunately, I woke up with scrambled brains and now it looks like I'll have to re-read it a few times before I can really grasp it.

I hope it's not going to be one of those days, but it's not looking too good so far. [shake]

Off to the link to try again......

[hi]

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tincup,

thanks for LOSING YOUR BEAUTY SLEEP to bring us all the latest news on lda updates; whoopie ding!! big news!!

thanks for all your work on it too. [group hug] [kiss]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement