LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » i passed lyme to my husband

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i passed lyme to my husband
toby67
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my hubby of three years just tested positive. They were taking blood for routine labs, so he requested

an igenix test, more out of curiosity than anything. I am chronic - 30yrs plus - I'm convinced we passed this sexually!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janet thomas
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7122

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janet thomas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's something I've pondered for yrs. It's much more common for a man to transmit a STD to a woman because he ejaculates in her. I've been sick for 2+ decades yet my husband (now separated)never got sick.

There's a lot of Lyme in Michigan, maybe he was bitten by a tick. Many of us never saw a tick or had a rash.

Is he symptom free?

--------------------
I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice but only my personal experience and opinion.

Posts: 2001 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catskillmamala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catskillmamala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sorry. I too am afraid of this. After a few years of treatment hell (which I'm still in), I'm scared of unprotected sex, for both our sakes.

Why aren't my tax dollars being spent answering the questions about sexual and prenatal transmission of lyme and coinfections?!@$(*?

Posts: 524 | From Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do you KNOW you gave it to your husband? He could have had it already...

Same with my husband. We just found out he has lyme as well, but I think he's probably had it for a long time just like I have. Thankfully he's very funtional (knock on wood) while I am not.

I don't know if I believe in the sexual transmission part of it all that much. I am sure it's possible, but I believe most people get it from outside more than anything... couples are always together in the same areas, etc. Plus, most of us probably were bit when we were children running in long grass and playing in dirt, etc., but had no idea. That makes the most sense to me. Also, you can have lyme in your system but it stays dormant until it wants to come out.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

There is no way to know for sure as there are many variables here.

Someone may have lyme but it may not become symptomatic until a later time.

However, the important thing is that it will be addressed.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm. I was diagnosed first. My husband a few months later.

I never saw a tick on me....

My husband has a history of tick embedment.

However, I don't believe he gave this to me.

More likely as we live and play in the same area,

We both were exposed.

I also have 12/13 neighbors with Lyme as well.

I believe our area to be highly endemic.

We joke about who gave who Lyme.

However, it is just a joke.

Not to say it couldn't happen.

Just think it is more likely that we both got it from our area.

Now I did pass Lyme and coinfections to my children. [Frown]

One I know for sure. The other I am pretty sure about.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no doubt in my mind that my husband contracted it sexually from me

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

I also think my husband has LD( he just started showing symptoms) but he has not been tested yet.

If he has it..then I know he got it from me.
I also think that at least 2 of my 3 kids have congenital Lyme

BJK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13251

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BJK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a reminder that a very large percentage of people with Lyme never knew they were bitten, never saw a tick, or ever get the bulls-eye rash.....

so there is always a possibility of being infected without knowing it regardless of the circumstances.

Im one of those who never had any of these signs

BJK

--------------------
BJK

Nothing I write here is medical advice...I'm just another lymie sharing how this disease has affected me personally

Posts: 175 | From Central Maine | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But on the other hand,

Spouses travel together, golf together, hike together, have pets, camp, live in wooded areas, visit family with pets and in the woods, etc.

Its possible one spouse can have a good immune system and the other not, so it appears that you transmit it, but you actually just 'succumb to it' at different intervals.

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

My theory is that many of us have been bitten and exposed way more then once probably without knowing it. I know I received at least one bite as a child. I think the more bites or exposure to the disease one gets the harder the body is slammed with symptoms.

I do think lyme is sexually transmitted. I think couples would probably be better off using protection then passing the disease and different mutated strains back and forth.

echostef
Unregistered

My LLMD contracted Lyme from his wife, as well.

He says it is absolutely, positively sexually transmitted.

gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would have to be his belief or opinion.

Can he document that will facts and scientific proof? If he did, it would be a scientific breakthrough for lyme.

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be possible but I don't think it's likely.

I have posted it repeatedly here -

You need the tick's saliva to acquire Lyme. The tick saliva is part of the vector of contracting Lyme. There are chemicals in the tick's saliva that effect the immune system so the spirochetes can gain a foothold in the body.

I posted the references many times here. If people are interested use keywords & do a search.

PS - Congenital Lyme passed to the baby by the mother is different.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am the opposite. I believe I contracted Lyme from my husband. He spends a LOT of time in the wood; me - none.

Now that he is "cured" and off ABX and I am not, I worry about reinfecting him. I keep forgetting to ask my LLMD about this. Duh [dizzy]

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Totally agree with Sparkle.
There is no evidence of sexual transmission and if it were the case there would be no "endemic areas", it would be an STD and spread very differently demographically. Most people don't see or feel a nymph tick anyway, that's why its such a devious vector.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toby67
Unregistered

because of my condition, my hubby got tested by igenix soon after we started dating, before we ever had sex. No bands!

Yes, he golfs, and we do yard work and some hiking... because of my case, we are vigilant with the deet whenever we are outside.

Of course, who knows, I'm not a scientist and i certainly don't want to freak anybody out.

but My llmd has always suspected it was passed this way. He finds it interesting that his positive bands are identical to mine... and he is also symptomatic for bab's. Weird....

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he golfs & does yard work... I don't see how you can say 100% that he never got bit by a tick... They are soooo small.

I don't see why people are so quick to think they may be guilty of passing a disease through sex.

If it were easily transmitted through sex, saliva, blood, urine, feces... people everywhere would be ill with Lyme.

You really have to tease apart all of the viruses, bacteria, mycoplasmas, etc. to see what the cause of the symptoms are. All of these things (virus, bacteria, etc.) have very similar symptoms & the tests are not accurate.

If you have no accurate tests - you have no idea what you are treating, if your therapy works, if you are getting better, etc.

They do know that tick saliva is very special & has 100s of very special chemical reactions when combined with human blood.

I just don't understand the whole guilt trip thing... it's already bad enough to have to deal with Lyme. If it's a big issue in your mind - use protection...

Don't you think if Lyme were sexually transmitted that someone would have done an accurate study about it by now? It's been around over 30 years... They have sooo many studies about Lyme. Someone would have done a conclusive study about it by now.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
toby67
Unregistered

ok- when did i say i was 100% sure he was never bit? and who says i'm filled with guilt?

I believe i passed it to him, that's all. I have lived with this for 35 years, and the only other people who have it are my ex-husband, one of my 3 children who was born with it, and now my new husband.

I think it's too much of a coincidence.

If you ask me, us patients with lyme know 200x more than any of the 30 doctors who told me there was nothing wrong with me for over 25 years.

(Yeah, that's who i want to go have treat me! the same guy who patted me on the hand and told me i was "too pretty" to get myself all worked up in the head!)

We've been yanked and cranked, and xrayed, biopsied, given how much blood? taken how many Rx's? And then someone finally figured it out. And we found a good llmd.

We trust our llmd's so much that we pay out of our pockets because they won't accept our insurance company's treatment guidelines.

And that's OK with me even if their treatment isn't 100% proven! We trust them more than we trust the CDC and IDSA, because we all know if we had to listen to them, we wouldn't be getting treatment at all.

Chronic patients like me are nothing but collateral damage. Unless you present a bulleye rash and you're holding the tick, SOL... So what do they all really know?

Whose information do we trust?

I'm not ready to say we know half of what we will eventually learn now about this disease, Including exactly how it's getting passed around so much!

I was told over and over that the ticks that I burrowed out of me everyday me didn't carry lyme.

As recent as a few years ago, my state wouldn't admit it existed! are they the same "scientists" deciding how it gets transmitted?

My doctor is out there fighting for this, risking his license to fight for this. I have no choice left but to literally trust him with my life.

It is his opinion that I gave my husband lyme.

So Thanks to everyone for your good wishes! My hubby is certainly not new to all of this. He's been the best support i could ask for.

He's already used to the funky diet, and the tool box full of supplements, and he's well versed in the herx!

he's feeling great so far - thanks to our doc's curiosity, he was given a very early diagnosis....

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Many of us have been through the ringer with Lyme. You are not alone. It took me 9 years and over $10,000 to find out & my tests were all negative.

I just don't think it's necessary to single yourself out & say you are the cause of someone else's suffering.

The reason why I say this is because my mother accused me of giving her shingles when I was 16. I caught herpes on my mouth from kissing a boy & she had cancer at the time.

She was undergoing chemo & she has accused me of giving her shingles & claimed that it was the most pain she ever suffered in her life.

So, I looked it up on the internet & found that there is no connection between shingles & herpes cold sores. They are both related to herpes but they are completely different strains. Shingles is related to chicken pox & herpes cold sores are completely different.

My mother held this over my head for over 30 years & guess who told her this info... her very trusted doctor at world famous Sloan-Kettering Cancer Hospital in NYC... She was WRONG!

This did alot of damage to me since I was only a 16 year old girl who kissed the wrong boy...

You really need to be sure about what you are talking about before you say that you gave anyone a horrible disease. I'm saying this to you for your own sake.

Sharing this information does not help me at all. I don't rule it out that Lyme can be transmitted via sex, blood, urine, etc. but I just don't think it is common. It has never been verified.

Congential Lyme is different. There is documentation of this occurring.

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,

My LLMD says the same thing. He's been treating LLMD for over 18 years. He said it would be a lot more common with spouses.

That said, my husband also has Lyme and came down with it a couple years after me.

However, he was the one who had tick bites as a kid in MO.

All I can say, is possibly. There have been no definitive studies. The fact that we live near forested areas with deer makes us both vulnerable.

IMO,
CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Well, Lyme Denialist-in-chief Dattwyler just called for a vaccine that would provide mucosal immunity to Lyme, so it seems that it can be passed at least sexually.
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by echostef:
My LLMD contracted Lyme from his wife, as well.

He says it is absolutely, positively sexually transmitted.

Mine too. I suspect we have the same doctor.
Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hurtingramma -
quote:
I am the opposite. I believe I contracted Lyme from my husband. He spends a LOT of time in the wood; me - none.
If he spends a lot of time in the woods, he could have brought ticks back home on his clothing or on himself. And it's possible they dropped off of him and found you to feed on. So it really doesn't matter if you spent no time in the woods yourself.

I could have got bitten many times as when I was a kid I was all over the place, in the woods, walking in tall grass, going to the creek often to look for turtles, etc., (I was a tomboy), but never noticed a tick on me until my family took in a dog who happened to have over a hundred ticks on her and we didn't know it until it was too late and basically infested our home with ticks. Even then, I only saw one tick on me, but I am sure I had more than one attachment, just happened to only see the one which was on my arm.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scared08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scared08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too passed Lyme to my husband. Yes----we will never know for sure, w/o any doubt if it was past by me sexually or if he was bitten.

I do know exactly when he became ill with it and he kept telling me that I was being rediculas! He had night sweats, horrible head aches for 2 months solid. This was now about 6 to 7 mths ago. Then the extreme forgetfullness, unable to concentrate, losing his ability to find the right word. And then the EXTREME cange in personality.

We had his tested and he lit up the W.B. results!! According to is IGG and IGM, 2 differant Dr.'s felt that he was infected about 6 to 8 months ago!

Again, we will never know for sure. However I srongly beleive that it can be sexually transmitted! The sprirocette so close to the same sprirocette in Syphalys, which as we all know is sexually transmitted.

We were told that IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO USE CONDOMS UNTILL WE KNOW THAT WE ARE BOTH FREE OF ALL TB INFECTIONS as we will continue to infect each other again and again!!!!!

I too wish there was someway to prove this! [shake]

Posts: 351 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie_mummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by scared08:
Again, we will never know for sure. However I srongly beleive that it can be sexually transmitted! The sprirocette so close to the same sprirocette in Syphalys, which as we all know is sexually transmitted.

We were told that IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO USE CONDOMS UNTILL WE KNOW THAT WE ARE BOTH FREE OF ALL TB INFECTIONS as we will continue to infect each other again and again!!!!!

I too wish there was someway to prove this! [shake] [/QB]

I agree. Since Syphilis is a spirochetal disease and is KNOWN to be passed in sexual transmission and from mother to child, it seems logical that Lyme could be passed in the same ways.

I believe I may have been given Lyme by my Ex. He is very ill with "Crohn's" (one of his sisters has "Lupus"). My earliest symptoms date back to the time when we were together.

--------------------
"Be it, don't dream it." -Dr. Frank-N-Furter

http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/zombie_mummy

Posts: 196 | From Canuckistan | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveandamyb
Member # 18522

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steveandamyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Better safe than sorry."

For those out there doubting lyme can be a sexually transmitted...

Wouldn't you rather loose some of the intimacy by using a condom than run the risk and be wrong?

Posts: 13 | From Ohio | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme disease transmitted by a biting fly.
Luger SW.
N Engl J Med 1990 Jun 14;322(24):1752.

Erythema migrans in solid-organ transplant recipients.
Maraspin V, Cimperman J, Lotric-Furlan S, Logar M, Ruzic-Sabljic E, Strle F.
Clin Infect Dis. 2006 Jun 15;42(12):1751-4.

"Absence of proof is NOT proof of absence" - William Cowper

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blaze
Unregistered

I think all of us have had Lyme from early childhood, if not from birth. Some of us test positive and become symptomatic. Others test positive, but feel fine.

There is some factor we are missing in why in some people with Lyme show symptoms and others with Lyme remain asymptomatic.

This bacteria was around long before it was discovered in CT - and virtually harmless back then.

Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While scientific PROOF would be nice - I think we are talking about a precise human study here. That's not likely.

It is difficult to offer proof while LLMDs are not sharing information. They want only to treat patients as they need to be treated and "fly under the radar".

They are scared of the medical review boards, insurance operatives of all types, afraid of losing the right to treat.

Here in California the LLMDs are protected - RI also. They need to open up and share information!

My LLMD also says without hesitation - YES! Absolutely can be transmitted sexually.
-p

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement