LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Strabismus-Convergence Directly Linked to Lyme????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Strabismus-Convergence Directly Linked to Lyme????
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of any literature to mention strabismus or convergence disorder as related to neurological lyme disease??

I am wondering if lyme disease causes or can cause strabismus, or if it is simply a co morbidity, or coincidental.

Anyone know?

--------------------
www.lymefire.blogspot.com

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up at bottom of page 2
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What made you think of this?

My daughter has had three eye surgeries for this problem. Two when she was a toddler, then one more final correction when she was 12.

Kelmo

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ItCantBeTrue
Member # 17151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ItCantBeTrue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know for certain but it makes sense that it could be Lyme induced.

Strabismus is when the eye muscles are imbalanced. Since Lyme could afect the nerves controlling the muscles of the eyes, I could see it happening.

Again, I don't know for certain and haven't read anything.

I wonder how many of the people with congenital Lyme have this.

--------------------
IGM positive WB through Igenex:
18+ 31++ 34+ 41+ 66+

Posts: 61 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for painted turtle   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for bringing this up Betty! And for replies.

I am still trying to get to the bottom of when I got Lyme and since either it progressed sneakily until REALLY REALLY BAD neuroborrelia, babs, bart, myco, and all that viral stuff.....diagnosed since 2005.

I can't be sure if

The eye problem I got in Mass. around the time of the tick bite when I was 10 years old ...that's 32 years ago!(along with cracking/popping feet .... sound like arthritis) is from the tick bite, or not.

I'll never know unless I see some scientific correlation. It adds up either way, I guess.

I know Polly Murray wrote in her book The Widening Circle that one of her kids had a roaming eye kind of problem and I believe she attributed it to the Lyme, eventually but I don't know.

What it would mean is, the difficulties I have from the strabusmus/convergence are not the lyme, and at this point, even if the original lyme triggered it, I have a strong feeling it is post infectious result.

I'd be curious if anyone else has this problem?

Or if there is any research on it.

--------------------

Posts: 855 | From United States of Mind | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Inner Ear disorders can affect vision in MANY ways, too. And it can fluctuate, depending upon variables.

Watch this guy's eyes in the video below. Talk about "roaming" eyes! This is sort of a nystagmus in extreme, though, and not strabismus. But, just in case, it's good to know about this.

And, oh, not everyone with SCD hears their eyes move. And it can come and go for those who do.

AND - not everyone with SCD will have eyes as bouncy as the guy's in the video. A special test may see the bounce but it can be missed even by inner ear doctors and some of their usual tests. A bounce, too, may manifest as more of a "pull" sometimes, depending upon the patient.

If sound sensitivity is part of this, be sure to consider that, as well. And, only very special kinds of CT scans can dx this. Very few doctors know about it.

[My prelim. scans done locally point to SCD. I'm supposed to go to Baltimore for more detailed evaluation when I can get strong enough to travel. What I thought was all lyme - all along - may only be part of the sound/vision mix-up for me.

The thing is, that if surgery for anything is necessary, for lyme patients, that becomes much more complex -- especially regarding steroids which are common with surgery but troublesome for lyme. Lyme/TBD must still be considered along the way.]

=================

Superior Canal Dehiscence

Nine-minute VIDEO:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6vAkdGw8T4

SCDS - THE MUSICIAN WHO HEARD TOO MUCH

=============

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=4436348&page=1

EAR-INDUCED TORTURE: MADDENING NOISE, EVERYWHERE

Adrian McLeish's Rare Condition Led to Amplified Sounds Produced From Eye Movement, Chewing and More

By ALEXA DANNER - March 12, 2008

Imagine if every sound you heard reverberated right through your brain. . . amplified and distorted, echoing through [his] skull. . . The sound of his own chewing was maddening.

. . .McLeish described the reverberations of his voice as sounding like a cracked loudspeaker or "like somebody humming through a kazoo."

- FULL ARTICLE AT LINK above.

======================================

From Johns Hopkins' site:

www.hopkinsmedicine.org/mediaII/MNU/2006/dizziness.html

SURGICAL PLUGS IN EAR'S BONE STOPS STRANGE FORM OF SEVERE DIZZINESS - 2006

-- Patients have sometimes suffered decades without relief - Full article at link.

=====================

www.scdssupport.org

SCDS Patient support forum

See the pages for LINKS - many wonderful medical articles.

Note: Johns Hopkins is the best for dx. Not all cities have CT scan equipment that can see this.

===========

http://vestibular.org/search/index.php

VESTIBULAR DISORDERS ASSOCIATION - Search Page

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Strabismus, borrelia - 3 abstracts

Strabismus, lyme - 4 abstracts

1. Paralytic strabismus as a manifestation of lyme borreliosis. 2005

2. [Isolated intracranial hypertension due to Lyme's disease] 2003

3. Cause and prognosis of nontraumatic sixth nerve palsies in young adults. 2002

4. [Inflammatory sensory ataxic neuropathy presenting with alternating skew deviation on lateral gaze: a case report] 1997

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

On the plus side, if this is basically strabismus and a simple surgery could help, that could ease up so much fatigue and other symptoms from having to deal with this.

Strabismus surgery is pretty simple these days. Safeguards around lyme should be much easier than with other kinds of surgeries.

If it's not too severe, you might consider the book/video YOGA FOR YOUR EYES by Meir Schneider, PhD

It's pretty amazing some of the changes that can bring. Even for those with just minor annoyances, this can be good.

more about that at: www.gaiam.com/product/media-library/educational-dvds/health+-+healing/yoga+for+your+eyes+dvd.do

A google search brings other sources and YOU TUBE has many short video clips - some instructional - about him and the technique (based on the Bates method):

www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Yoga+for+your+eyes&search_type=&aq=f

-

[ 22. October 2008, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Keebler!

How do you do it?

It's going to take me some time to look at all this, thanks a bunch for compiling it.

I do have extra supreme sound sensitivity as well, which for a long time I thought was clairaudience, ever hear of it???

My strabismus/convergence won't require surgery.

My eyes are more "fixed" and sometimes the one eye that has the problem gets a little swollen and with a black circle underneath. Comes and goes, and only on the one problematic eye.

It's hard to operate and I think I've realized that this eye problem is a large reason for many of the challenges I have even related to anxiety.

Not being able to figure things out, see properly, etc. does tend to potentially create an anxiety.

It's becoming manageable. My accupuncturist is GREAT and has assigned me some eye exercises to do for now.

So it sounds like for you, your eye (do you have strabismus/etc?, is NOT lyme induced?????

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Turtle,

While I enjoy a few research puzzles to wake up my brain, most of this had been previously compiled in my own effort to get some sort of a life back.

I do not have strabismus but, rather, nystagmus and a bunch of inner ear stuff - including what appears to be some bone missing in one of the circular canals (SCD).

Lyme can be a cause of that - or it can just be congenital and not really show up for years or decades. The ears can have so much to do with the eyes, I've discovered.

Glad to hear that your eye will not need surgery. My brother had that strabismus surgery in college (he had worn black tape on the inside of his eyeglasses in grade school) . . . and a guy I used to date who wore an eye patch had that done, too, and tossed his patch.

So, it's just that I had some familiarity with this and that.

As you mention your acupuncturist has suggested some things (glad you are getting that treatment), Qi Gong or Tai Chi can also be very helpful for eyes. I'm sure some of the exercises she has given you incorporate some of those techniques.

If there is a book or article that you have a link to from her recommendations, I'd love to see it. Although, I assume, it's more experiential in that she shows you; you do it.

Hope you see improvement.

Cheers!

-

Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Convergence disorder and Lyme = yes yes yes!

Here is an article about the correlation
http://aoj.uwpress.org/cgi/content/abstract/56/1/147

I saw one of the authors (an opthamologist) who diagnosed me - He gave me the whole article but I could only find the abstract on line

I had a horrid convergence disorder (so bad that my left eye was shutting down(called "supression") so I wouldn't see double

anyway, I had about 3-4 months of vision therapy (1x week plus a home program daily) and the problem is 98% better

I was very very lucky that the optometrist who was one of the founders of modern vision therapy is located about 20 minutes away from where I live

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Larkspur,

Great link. And so glad to hear that you have seen such dramatic improvement.

Can you share the name of the vision program you followed or was it just show & tell and then you go & do?

I need to learn all I can as I'm hoping vision training and finally getting the TBD handled will let me avoid inner ear surgery that has to go through my skull. I've not really started the Yoga for the Eyes yet, but am impressed with what I've read about it.

thanks.

-

painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Interesting Larkspur, so it is possibly linked to that tick bite, since they both happened around the same time.

Unfortunately for me, I never wore the patch they gave me because it made me not be able to see to do the things I wanted to do so I think the eye just doesn't use itself,

But it does cause a lot of challenges, more at certain times than others.

I haven't correlated how the eye challenges and the sound sensitivity are related.

Larkspur, I wish they would do more studies like that!

I'm thinking possibly the initial lyme triggered it then I went on my (merry) way until

the %*(*# hit the fan!!!!!!

I don't have references Keebler, the accupucturist just shows me what to do.

I'm definitely going to look at the Yoga for your Eyes.

And I do think it is because of the Brain somehow since the eyes are an extension.

--------------------

kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am thinking that my daughter was born with her issue as a muscle problem, and not an infection/neuro induced problem.

She was crosseyed from the beginning and had her first surgery when she was under two years old.

Are you asking if it can be lyme induced strabismus that could come from a neurological issue?

My daughter's eye problems would never be resolved with eye exercises. She needed to have her muscles adjusted on the eyeball.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Hi Kelmo,

Yes, I am asking if Lyme, or neuroborrelia can induce this as a symptom.

My eye problem is not overt, or obvious and doesn't require surgery.

It makes it hard to function though.

And given the lyme, I am trying to piece all of this together.

I went to a neuro opthamologist who said this kind of thing is always congenital but is "noticed" at times, not until childhood. Personally, my family has reported to me that it was an event that happened when my eye did something. I don't remember so....just trying to go back and piece this together.

Although I don't know what difference it would make....I'm pretty sure antibiotics won't address this particular long standing symptom.

--------------------

painted turtle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7801

Plus the other thing I realize

is I have a facial recognition trouble,

I think it is called facial blindness

which is not related to the strabismus

and blurry vision or trouble seeing, at times,

but just adds to the long list of challenges

--------------------

Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the link to the home vision program the doctor prescribed for me - it's done on your computer
http://www.homevisiontherapy.com/

I beleive you have to have an eye doctor "prescribe" the program but I see on their website they have a list of eye doctors who are affiliated

I think vision therapy (like everything else) is controversial in some circles, but it sure helped me!

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement