LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ADVICE ON DOCTORS PLEASE

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ADVICE ON DOCTORS PLEASE
katiegirl625
Member # 16776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiegirl625     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need help. I am seeing a pain managament doctor along with my LLMD b/c he will not prescribe anything for pain. She keeps putting me on antidepressents that are making me gain weight. I have tried about 8 medications... non of which have worked with my pain. Which is horrible.
I dont know what to do. Should I try to find another pain management doctor. Or a neurologist? What type of doctor can i do to that will really help me?
I am not depressed. I am getting depressed from gaining all of this @#$#^#$$@#$ weight [shake]

Posts: 52 | From Owings Mills MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I would try another pain management dr. Which anti-deps have they tried?

I wouldn't see a neuro...they will deny you have Lyme and you will be P*****!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what kind of pain are you having and what places?

pain caused by different things respondes to diff. things

neuro pain: use of antidepressant/ seizure meds

muscle: anti-infalammatory

bone: ibuprofen or stronger narcotics

pain doc needs to treat based on type of pain. if you are having nerve pain no amt. of narcotic would help...

hope that helps. try another pain doc and be very specific in the pain descriptions..best wishes... i have been lucky and docs have given me meds to help..the combo of treating nerve and bone pain is now 50% better most days now

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BEST pain med for "ME" is Glucosamine/clond. AND 2 Citical, and a GOOD(defined NOT wally world junk) magnesium every day.

Your mileage may vary.

I truthfully think that when I started the calcium/Mag pills it stopped progression of SOME sx.s

Hope something works for you!! Experiment and find out for yourself!!(Mag. takes care of alot of migrains too)

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
for many years the only way i could keep working and raising kids was with high dose of ibuprrofen. first it was 3200mg a day then thay changed it to 2400mg a day. this went on for 20 years til i had my knees replaced last march

no other nsaid or narcotic worked.

i am paying for it now with gi problems-but the kids got thru college and i have at least a partial retirement to live on

well...i needed good quality glucosamine(purple and white bottle) and good mag also...but i couldn't have gotten by w/o ibu

many say inflammation is the problem-the supps and diet for inflammation never helped me-but maybe they help some

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

The reason your LLMD may not want to prescribe pain meds is the load on the liver or kidneys.

Often, pain is from inflammation. If you can address that aspect through your abx treatment and supplements, you may find see some relief.

A gluten-free diet has been the very best thing for me to see less pain.

Magnesium glycinate, for me, is one of the best pain relievers I've found. Fish oil, too. Getting to bed early is also vital. To help that, and to help relieve pain, a small dose of melatonin before bed may be just the winning ticket.

All this may not take it all away but it sure can make it more manageable. As lyme (or other TBD) lifts, so will the pain.

This may be of help:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease.

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD

July, 2008

Four pages

=====================

Pain management specific to lyme/TBD is discussed in this book, too:

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures.

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

=====================

A good pain management doctor should also consider benefits of massage and cranial-sacral therapy (gentle, though).

A LL acupuncturist can also provide relief. Often, insurance will cover acupuncture for pain treatment.

However, I would avoid any doctor who is not recommended by a LLMD. It is essential for anyone working with you to be LL. Absolutely essential. Not everything is lyme related, of course. But lyme affects the body so profoundly that only a doctor who is LL is truly able to differentiate.

You asked about seeing a neurologist. Unless your LLMD thought that is important, neurological issues relating to lyme are being considered but it takes a while for symptoms to subside.

Most neurologists know nothing about chronic neuroborreliosis.

From my experiences with several neurologists (and from others here, too) a neurologist will likely be very dismissive and offer nothing of value. Even with several falls each day, seizures and other serious symptoms, several neurologists turned their backs and said this cannot be real. The meant me and they meant lyme.

You might check with your local lyme support group, though, if you think you really need to see a neurologist. At least find one who is of top calibre.

-

[ 11. November 2008, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

You mentioned weight gain. That is a frequent complaint from chronic lyme patients. Part of that is the inflammation from the infection itself. Part of that is the liver's load for detox.

This book is specific to lyme and other chronic stealth infections. The author discusses the endocrine connection and effects of cortisol from the stress of this illness. The Singleton book (linked above) also discussed the importance of the endocrine connection.

You can read customer reviews and look inside the book at this link to its page at Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultram 50mg every 4-6 hours may resolve your pain, and Wellbutrin (A Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor) may prevent weight gain and actually cause weight loss, help with fatigue, decrease depression, and improve memory and concentration.

You should be able to get both of these without much hesitation from the doctors. Also, Lamictal for mood stabilization can be useful if you do happen to have psychiatric changes related to the Lyme, otherwise, Wellbutrin and Ultram are good starting ideas.

Begin at a low dose of 100mg for the Wellbutrin, and gradually work up to a dose that you find is acceptable.

Of all the medications for depression this is usually reported to be the most effective and has the least side effects.

Unfortunately though, remember, even Wellbutrin and Ultram don't work for "every" patient. Some have side effects or see no results, but they are the best I've seen generally speaking.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have nerve pain. Vicodin does help it.

Treating pain with antidepressants is based on just a couple of studies. I don't buy into it, but I (genetically) can't metabolize many drugs, including antidepressants.

Everyone is different.

To me it's just cruel to deny decent pain medications to people who have serious pain. Narcotics are not instantly addictive. But they do require extra paperwork for doctors. At least you can take them as needed, not every day, day in and day out the way you have to take antidepressants.

How about your primary care doctor?

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katiegirl625
Member # 16776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for katiegirl625     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone!

I have tried Ultram. That didn't do anything for me. I have tried Lyrica. I have tried every muscle relaxer there is. The Pain seems to be in my bones but she will not prescibe anything other then a anti depressent which i seem to need now that i have become depressed since I have gained so much weight with the lyme.... and i am always in so much pain with out any help from doctors.
My primary doctor... well lets just say this is why i am where i am not... i went undiagnosed for almost 4 years b/c my doctor told me i had head issues and didnt think there was anything wrong with me... i went to him atleast once every 2 weeks sick and nothing ever came back. He said it was all in my head. Lyme came back on my tests once about 4 years ago but he said it wasnt "enough" to treat...and i didnt think anything of it.
Anyways, I am on effexor now... along with 200mg of topamax for migraines... which has also seemed to help with my horrible jaw pain i would get. but my insominia, panic and bone pain is horrible. I am so sick and tired of going to different doctors. I feel like they think i am faking it or something.
Like i am just trying to get "drugs"
I just want the right medications to make me feel better so i can sleep...and function
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Posts: 52 | From Owings Mills MD | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement