LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What is the best kind of PORTABLE HEATER to buy?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the best kind of PORTABLE HEATER to buy?
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking for a healthy one.

Besides a new air purifier I need a heater so I don't have to deal with dirty heater ducts in my rental or forced air heat that blows your socks off with a thermostat that is hard to control.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are so many on the market today it's hard to tell. I do have an older Rival model though that spits out heat like there's no tomorrow. I'm not sure if they're still manufactured though....

I'd say consult Consumer Reports at your local library...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

If you could get a water-filled closed radiator type, if the coating on the metal is enamel (and not some sort of a plastic product), that would be best.

You might consult "Toxic Times" a news letter for people with MCS. I think you can find them through Google.

I'm very interested in what people find. A friend just asked me and I've no idea. I do have a nice freestanding infrared heat lamp, but it only heat the spot the globe is facing. And it really dries out the air - bad for anyone with dry eyes if used for the only heat source of a room.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

I bet someone like oxygenbabe knows which ones are healthier to use.
jmom
Member # 17944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got a Holmes brand, water filled electric radiator for the same reason. We really like it. We got ours 1/2 price at Home Depot after winter sale. Have also seen them at Walmart. Clean, warm and portable. Will get another one this year.

GOod luck to you, J

Posts: 38 | From Seattle | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am using 3 of those plug in radiators-but they have gel in them-not water

i have an old inefficint dirty oil furnace that costs way too much and a small ventless propane heater that makes us bot sick from the fumes

so we started using these little radiators and i cannot believe how cheap they are...my bill has gone down since i started 3 of them and turned one dehumidifyer off

they make clean, even heat

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Clean even heat sounds good. Tired of being blown to bits one minute and freezing the next.
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We've always used the oil filled heaters.

For us and our pig. [Big Grin]

Less likely to catch anything on fire.

Just a pain sometimes to keep the outside of the heater dust free.

It is kind of convoluted.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an oil filled delonghi but in the city dust and soot tends to cake btw the fins and is hard to clean. My new one gave off a bad chemical smell so I bought a cheap quartz infrared optimus heater. The first few days the enamel offgassed now it's perfect. It tends to heat the person more than the air. I keep every window in my place a little open no matter how cold out for health reasons so my place is cool but the heater works great and own cheap to run at 400 or 800 watts. I'm going to buy another. Radiator heat in my building is dirty and I don't use it.
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

I did know one person who had an oil filled heater explode all over their walls and another friend recently had a leak so she tossed hers out.
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is what I got, Angelica

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GG8DWA

Now, it will offgas at first. Do you have somewhere, not your place, you can run it for a day or two? Then it is completely odorless and I love the heat as it doesn't tire me out. Somehow I would get tired from the oil filled radiators. Maybe they had an electrical field or maybe they were offgassing at a low level. And I don't like heaters that blow heat on me. This won't heat a large room, though. I prefer a cool room and at night just sleep under 3 or 4 soft wool blankets with the cold air blowing in a crack thru my window and no heat at all.

Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Thank you! I don't really have a place for it to out gas but maybe I can leave the windows open for a day or so while it does. I think I will buy one.

So it is not noisy at all?

Those radiator heaters make one of my knees hurt for some reason and they make me tired too.

I never leave the heat on at night either.

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

It is perfect now but I have to warn you when I first turned it on, it really outgassed, in fact some of the enamel kind of "steamed" off. Do you have a friend in the building who can use it for a week who is not sensitive? I lent it to my doormen for a week until it had no odor at all and they are now a bit upset they don't have it anymore as they liked it so much. [Smile] I just ordered a second one. It makes no niose--the quartz rods generate infrared. You feel completely warm when it's near you, almost like on the beach, but the rest of the room is cool. It uses little electricity so not expensive. Don't be discouraged if it offgasses when you first get it, I'm very MCS now, and it turned out fine after a week. If you have nobody you can lend it to while offgassing, maybe run it in your bathroom for 24-48 hours with the window open and door closed.
Phil M
Member # 16135

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phil M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Geneal:
We've always used the oil filled heaters.

For us and our pig. [Big Grin]

Less likely to catch anything on fire.

Just a pain sometimes to keep the outside of the heater dust free.

It is kind of convoluted.

Yup. They work great! Doesn't circulate dust, and doesn't get hot enough to catch anything on fire. Love mine!
Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 16 | From Ga | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

I don't know anyone who would let my heater out gas over at their place so I guess it will be the bathroom. Do you think it is safe to run it when I am not home in the bathroom with the window open or would that be a fire hazard?

No doorman out here in rural California. We have a lot of cows and horses though and plenty of ticklettes. I am 11 minutes away from the beach and all I can see out my window are trees and a ranch very far away in the distance when I am out on my deck.

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

That sounds beautiful (where you live).

I'm cautious. I would not run it while you're not at home. There is always the chance any heater can malfunction. That's another reason not to sleep with them on. You just might as well err on the side of caution. If you have a deck why not run a heavy duty extension cord and put it on with the door to the deck almost closed?

Angelica
Unregistered

It is really beautiful here.

That is an idea with the deck and the neighbors cat would love it. I don't have that kind of cord though and living where I do the moths and flies not to mention every other kind of insect would fly or wander right in and there is one crawly thing I dread having in my home because it has happened before.

I think the idea of running the heater in the bathroom when I am home with the window open is a the best one so far.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement