LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Niacin is making me ill

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Niacin is making me ill
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to be able to take large doses of Niacin, as recommended by my (former) LLMD. However, when I take more than 1,000 mg/day, I get very sick -- throw up the next day and have the shakes. I take the Niacin with food and Vitamin C, so that's not the issue. I do have low blood pressure (90/60).

So, my questions are:

Is it possible that if I try to gradually ramp up the dosage the sickness will eventually go away?

If not, is it even worth it for me to take only 1,000 mg/day?

Even the 1,000 mg makes me a little queasy - is this dangerous?

I have been taking the NOW brand, which is inexpensive...am I getting what I pay for?

I'm in between doctors so have no one to call about this.

Thanks so much for your help.

P

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it regular Niacin or the low flush type?
Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DoctorLuddite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13853

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DoctorLuddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard a lipidologist last week say to not bother with the no flush type of niacin, I did a little wiki search and it turns out that the flush type is nicotinic acid, the non flush is niacinamide, and they have different effects when initially being absorbed, and perhaps after as well, I think the NOW brand uses niacinamide.
Posts: 442 | From Biddeford, ME | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sweet pea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bottle labels the ingredient as Niacin (Vitamin B3), doesn't have more detail than that. I'm pretty sure it's the flush type as I sure do flush.

I just checked and NOW makes two types of Niacin - there is a flush-free type and the type I'm taking, which doesn't have "flush-free" on the label.

Thanks.

Posts: 449 | From Vermont | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
years ago my llmd gave it to me and i had a reaction and to him that meant a very specific reason why i shouldn't take it---but i'm sorry i can't tell you what the reason was

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lizajane
Member # 16931

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lizajane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been prescribed to take Niacin because of super high triglycerides.

My Dr. specifically told me to start at a low dose 25/50 mg 2x a day then when I tolerated that increase again by 50/100mg 2x a day.

Not on an empty stomach and the non flush type is of no value.

If you increase slowly the flushing will be minimal and will decrease as you take it. This was my experience.

Although my stomach could not take over 1000 mg a day no matter what.... I got a sour stomach and some pain. So I never went over 1000/day 500mg am with meal and 500mg pm with a meal

--------------------
IGM Result Positive
CDC/NYS Result Positive

**23-25 kDa ++
**31 kDa +
**34 kDa IND
**41 kDa +
58 kDa +

IGG Result Negative
CDC/NYS Result Negative

**31 kDa IND
**39 kDa IND
**41 kDa ++

Posts: 27 | From middle of nowhere | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niacin opens up the blood vessels and reacts with toxins in the body, including past radiation. Sometimes you get a flush pattern on your body like the outline of a swimsuit worn 10-20 years ago!

The dose you were taking was over the top!!!!

There is a whole detox protocol around niacin, sauna, and vitamins/minerals. Sometimes, even 100 mg is too much! This protocol was successfully used by first responders to 9/11 in NY City when they became ill from the toxins there.

Niacinamide, the no-flush kind, is useless for detoxing. I have seen a report on it being used for heart problems, but haven't read the studies myself. So, I don't know if niacinamide is useful at all.

Hope this helps.

Love,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sweet pea
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6495

quote:
Originally posted by lizajane:

Although my stomach could not take over 1000 mg a day no matter what.... I got a sour stomach and some pain. So I never went over 1000/day 500mg am with meal and 500mg pm with a meal

Looks like we're in the same boat.

Thanks everyone.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

lizajane - good suggestions.

Cass -

Thank for that great information. Might you have a link particularly to the first responders' protocol? I'd like to learn more about that.

I googled this with no results: "detox protocol" "first responders to 9/11 "

--

I took Niacin years ago (on an empty stomach). I have never felt so sick in my whole life.

It was as though I was about to launch into space I became so bright red all over - steam must have come out of my ears! I was driving at the time and had to pull off the freeway, take off as many clothes as legally possible and pour water all over myself.

I had no direction at that time other than I was told to take it. Oops.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement