LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Freaking out over tounge!!!!!!! Please help/need comments

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Freaking out over tounge!!!!!!! Please help/need comments
shelly23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shelly23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay i brought this up once before and someone i dont remeber who said there tounge was crocked to.. slight ly higher and slanted to oneside anyone else....... freaking out cant stop looking at it .. words of advice

--------------------
Shelly
~ IGM~Positive
CDC Positive
23-25 +
31+++
34++
41+

I am a Dreamer, Believer, and Conquer; I will overcome this disease !!!

Posts: 382 | From Alabama Via PA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't understand your question?

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shelly23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shelly23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i stick my tounge out it is tilted more to one side higher on one side than the other.. freaking out.. anyone else

--------------------
Shelly
~ IGM~Positive
CDC Positive
23-25 +
31+++
34++
41+

I am a Dreamer, Believer, and Conquer; I will overcome this disease !!!

Posts: 382 | From Alabama Via PA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Shelly123....

I'm sorry as I don't think I have this. I am only posting to say I do, however, have tongue issues - seems like all the time!

My tongue is either numb, burning, sort of "thick" feeling, when I was at my lowest - it would tremor like crazy...always something. I often have too much saliva too. My LLMD says she hears this a lot (tongue and saliva issues - both); but, I don't read it here too much.

Anyway...that's my story. Hope others post soon for you. Sorry about your tongue problem. TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Does it hurt?

Does it interfere with your speech?

Does it interfere with swallowing ?

-

[ 10. December 2008, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay I have the answer...I think. [Smile]

The tongue will deviate to a side that is weaker.

In stroke patients I would ask them to stick their tongue out.

Whatever side it deviated to was an indication of weakness to that side.

Could be related to nerves (cranial), muscle or both.

There are things you can do to strengthen it.

PM if you think I can help.

BTW, I am a Speech Pathologist.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Research ("Google") vitamin B6...watch for the info. with regards to tongue symptoms.

Then...B6 MUST BE TAKEN SUBLINGUAL (dissolved under your tongue). Source Naturals makes it. It is the active form (P5P). It is not horribly expensive. You can get it thru Amazon.

Follow the bottle directions (= 1 daily).

When we take B vitamins orally, most are destroyed by our very strong stomach acids.

Mg (magnesium) works hand in hand with vitamin B6.

All of our nutrients (vitamins, minerals and amino acids) are important and

***all must be in the right balance*** for us to be healthy.

That is the tough part...restoring the balance.

Find this U.S. patent and skim it:

Magnesium For Autoimmune.

Re: just B6 from a book I have:

Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis A. Balch, CNC.

It is THE book on nutrition and is available (big paperback) in all the bookstores, vitamin stores and even in some Walgreens too.

The author used to be married to a doctor and the original book was authored by both of them. Now the latest versions are hers alone.

Anyway...

"Vitamin B6 (Pyridoxine)

Pyridoxine is involved in more bodily functions than almost any other single nutrient.

It affects both physical and mental health. It is beneficial if you suffer from water retention, and is necessary for the production of hydrochloric acid and the absorption of fats and protein. It also aids in maintaining sodium and potassium balance, and promotes red blood cell formation.

***Pyridoxine is required by the nervous system*** and is needed for normal brain function and for the synthesis of the nucleic acids RNA and DNA, which contain the genetic instructions for the reproduction of all cells and for normal cellular growth. It activates many enzymes and aids in the absorption of vitamin B12, immune system function, and in antibody production.

Vitamin B6 plays a role in cancer immunity and aids in the prevention of arteriosclerosis. It inhibits the formation of a toxic chemical called homocysteine, which attacks the heart muscle and allows the deposition of cholesterol around the heart muscle. Pyridoxine acts as a mild diuretic, reducing the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome, and it may be useful in preventing calcium oxalate kidney stones as well. It is helpful in the treatment of allergies, arthritis, and asthma.

A deficiency vitamin B6 can result in anemia, convulsions, headaches, nausea, flaky skin, a

sore tongue

and vomiting. Other possible signs of deficiency include acne, anorexia, arthritis, conjunctivitis, cracks or sores on the mouth and lips, depression, dizziness, fatigue, hyperirritability, impaired wound healing inflammation of the mouth and gums, learning difficulties, impaired memory or memory loss, hair loss, hearing problems, numbness, oily facial skin, stunted growth, and tingling sensations. Carpal tunnel syndrome has been linked to a deficiency of vitamin B6 as well.

Sources:

All foods contain some vitamin B6; however, the following foods have the highest amounts: brewer's yeast, carrots, chicken, eggs, fish, meat, peas, spinach, sunflower seeds, walnuts, and wheat germ. Other sources include avocado, bananas, beans, blackstrap molasses, broccoli, brown rice and other whole grains, cabbage, cantaloupe, corm, dulce, plantains, potatoes, rice bran, soybeans and tempeh. Herbs that contain B6 include alfalfa, catnip, and oat straw.

Comments:

Antidepressants, estrogen therapy and oral contraceptives may increase the need for vitamin B6. Diuretics and cortisone drugs block the absorption of this vitamin by the body.
Prolonged use of high doses of vitamin B6 (over 1,000 mg per day) can be toxic and may result in nerve damage and loss of coordination."

A good neurologist should rule out the possibility that you had a minor stroke which can cause this tongue to the side issue.

http://www.disabled-world.com/artman/publish/stroke-symtoms.shtml

Is your prothrombin level okay? If you are a woman, are you on BC pills?

Saliva contains enzymes that begin the breakdown of carbohydrates...and your body is really wanting and needing glucose.

Our brains use an amazing amount of glucose per day.

Tongue exercises here:

http://www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~ncr3025/roussel/codi531/oralexercise.html

[ 13. December 2008, 05:16 PM: Message edited by: Marnie ]

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slappy2779
Member # 12193

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slappy2779     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my first question is do you have bells palsy? That is one of the signs of that. I know when I was first diagnosed with lyme, it was one of my symptoms. Whole left side of my face went paralyzed.

--------------------
C.D.C = "Country Doesn't Care"
Ticks are like Snipers, you don't know they're there, until you see the bullseye.

Posts: 86 | From Upstate New York | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
slappy
bells palsy is the fifth cranial nerve
motor to the muscles of the face.

tongue is seventh cranial nerve. lingual nerve a branch of the trigeminal nerve.
tongue issues are separate from bell's palsy.
except on the rare occasion of dual innervation
of the tongue by both nerves.
infection in the ear can affect both nerves due to the fact that both nerves go thru of are in proximity to the ear canal.

thats also why acute tmd can cause pain in the face ,teeth, ear and tongue. this is due to the tm joint being on very close proximity to the
ear canal.

exercises can be done to strengthen the tongue,since it is a muscle.geneal can give you some, or need be i can give you some.
it is probably nothing to worry about and probably not lyme related.
infection of an impacted wisdom tooth on the lower mandible can cause infection of the ligual nerve and deviation to one side.

docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine deviates to the left a little. I have the burning and it's much worse with herxing, like hot pepper juice is on the back center area of it. It's not the entire tongue that burns. It's weird and I've had problems with the burning for a couple years. I take omeprazole and have good mouth hygiene so ?? who knows.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that I have actually looked at it, my tongue goes to one side. Sometimes the tip of it feels numb.

I bet a lot of people's tongues do this even people without LD. Why are you so upset about it? Is it causing you some kind of problem with talking or eating or something?

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement