LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » increase in popping joints

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: increase in popping joints
nyjohn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyjohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am 6 months into treatment with aggressive combos, and before that treated with other abx for 2.5 months
and
lately i am finding that my joints are popping all over, more than ever.
i was active 2 months ago but strained my shoulder and haven't done squat since. i had just begun to reverse some of the deconditioning i had experienced and i was getting much stronger.

my llmd was wanting to take out omnicef and replace it with bicillin a month ago, but i couldn't afford the bicillin. his thinking was that i maybe started to plateau due to what i thought might have been an increase in some symptoms, like muscle pains (but maybe that was from all the working out, i gained 15 pounds of mass- ok some fat too- in 2 months).

could this be
-my lyme/babs/myco getting worse?
or
-herx?
or
-deconditioning and lack of exercise?

thanks a lot
john

--------------------
do your best to educate the rest because
9 out of 10 doctors don't know jack about tick borne illnesses

Posts: 437 | From shawangunk mountains, ny | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tough one, John. It could be a nice big fat herx since you seem to have a wide-ranging worsening of symptoms but who knows...

I exercise regularly and do not experience joint popping but I do have back pain that flares out of the blue sometimes.

How long has the popping been going on? If it subsides soon may be just a herx...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nyjohn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyjohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well they have popping here and there for several months. when i was really sick in the beginning i couldn't do much and lost almost 20 pounds and i was thinner to begin with.
when i was lifting and swimming 2 months ago i think they started to pop less.
then i when i hurt my shoulder i stopped lifting and can only go walking as my exercises (my hips need surgery and cannot do things like ride a bike) . so i guess they really have been popping most in the past 2 months,
i have been on same abx regimen for 6 months.

the only other thing that i can think of that i am doing different is i added glucosamine into my supplements about 2 months ago.

--------------------

Posts: 437 | From shawangunk mountains, ny | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nyjohn,

On the rheumatoid website I frequent, we use low dose minocycline to treat mycoplasmas.

It is common and considered a great sign that after treatment begins and the swelling goes down, our joints pop. This popping eventually goes away and you have no more pain and swelling in that joint.

Hopefully, this is what you are experiencing and soon will be using those joints like old times.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nyjohn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15361

luvs,
you response was sunshine on a cloudy day!
thank you, i hope that is what is going on!

best wishes

--------------------

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed that after 4 months of antibiotics the last one being Biaxin, that I had an increase in joint popping. Even if I just took a deep breath something would pop. Now after being off antibioitics for a few months, the popping is not as bad.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blinkie
Member # 14470

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blinkie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ha.ve had lyme, babs, mycoplasma and I suspect bart for 10 years undiagnosed.
When I first started treatment with doxy, biaxin and mepron, then to mino and the others. I swear I sounded like a box of rice crispies.

Any movement and I would get joints cracking and popping ecerywhere. When I got out of bed was the most humerous.

It is gone now, but I suspect it was good because it meant something was dying and freeing up those tense joints although, I never really had any joint pain to speak of.

Posts: 1104 | From N.California | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi NY

Take Glucosimine Sulfate -

It rebuilds cartilage in your joints--

Make sure the bottle says Sulfate on the bottle -

Regular Glucosamine is not effective-

I used to pop and crack so loud it could be heard across the room--

Glucosamine Sulfate is as close to Magic
as medicine gets - take 2000mg per day-
--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nyjohn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15361

thanks for the replies, gang

--------------------

GraceT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GraceT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi John,

I find that if I forget my ALC/ALA or my Super Curcumin (Curry/Tumeric) then I get much more popping all over the place.

Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) helps reduce inflammation.

I like to take the ALA/ALC in a combo and usually take it in the AM with SAM-e. They work synergistically together I think.

Smiles, Grace

Posts: 212 | From Arizona | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellyb2411
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyb2411     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been experiencing joint cracking pretty much since I got symptoms at the start of the year.

I too find it annoying. It doesn't hurt, but I tend to crack in my shoulders, ankles, hips, jaw, when i walk my neck clicks (not always, but on and off), etc.

I asked my holistic doctor (who isn't a LLMD by the way) about this recently and he said it wasn't a symptom, but generally that nitric oxide in the joints causes cracking.

Funly enough, since he told me that, I've been reading a lot of stuff indicating that when spirochetes are killed they produce nitric oxide.

http://autoimmunityresearch.org/lyme-disease/

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_285/ai_n19170382/pg_8?tag=artBody;col1

I tend to find my joint cracking to be worse when herxing, especially the clicking in my neck when I walk. I wonder if its due to more nitric oxide being produced??

I'm in now way scientific, but this just seemed strange. I am in now way saying this is the cause, but I've read previous posts where joint cracking is common.

Kelly

--------------------
Sx Start Jan 08 (test neg, but herxing)Susp Lyme, Bart + Babs??

ABX
Doxy 400mg + Amox 1g Jun - Sep 08
Rifampin 600mg + Biaxin 1000mg
Tinidazole 1000mg/day - Sep 08 to June 08

Currently taking Salt/C 15g (himalayan salt)

85-90% better

Posts: 231 | From Australia | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bears1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bears1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is MSM as effective as Glucosamine Sulfate?
Posts: 136 | From Arizona | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NYJohn-

What are you taking for inflammation? Some of the above suggestions are good. I think treating inflammation is often overlooked and it is soooooooo imperative...

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Joint cracking can be a sign of inflammation and it always is for me. Mine got really bad in the first year of treatment so I asked my doc and that's what he told me.

Dead bug debri causes inflammation. Deal with the inflammation and clear the dead bug debri out and your cracking will go down if that is the cause.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My jaw cracking has increased a lot in the past month.

I had been onn Doxy and Rifampin till August, when we swapped Doxy for Amoxyl.

Now my symptoms seem to be returning on a 30 day cycle, and each cycle is getting worse.

So I don't know what's going on.

Hope things improve for you.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vitamin E is quieting mine down. I was getting to be quite musical.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement