LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bartonella and spider veins?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bartonella and spider veins?
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spider veins are common in the population, so how do I know if mine are due to Bart or not?

I have had positive titers for bartonella hensalae in the past, but how I do know when I develop spider veins if I should attribute it to Bart?

Last night before going to bed I looked at my thighs and buttocks, and noticed that I had at least 4 new ones that appeared within the last 24-48 hours. I am currently treating Bart with Rifampin. Aside from those, I don't have many at all.

I also will get these little, very tiny, spider-like red veiny things on my upper legs. Sometimes they fade, but other times I will see them all over, and they'll be there for like 24-48 hours.

It is creepy indeed....I'm sure a healthy person wouldn't be getting the little ones I describe that will be there for a few days than disappear....

.......but how do I know what is from lack of exercise and bad health overall (I haven't exercised in at least a week, I am weak, etc) and what is popping up from Bart?

I am 25 years old, female, if that helps.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there you 25 year old female who looks at her butt.

Bet it is a cute one too, eh?

[lol]

JUST KIDDING!!!!

Sorry, I know I shouldn't have said that. Please forgive me!

My bet is that it is the Bartonella doing it.. and herxing might contribute to it.

Now...

I have a butt twice as old as yours.. that I honestly don't look at too often... it kinda follows around behind me... or I am usually sitting on it, like now.

BUT... I do get the spider veins on my ankles and legs sometimes. Then they go away.

Sometimes they pop up over night... and are quite impressive. I'd bet money I could win a spider vein contest with them.

But they slowly fade.

So not to worry your cute little butt over it... I mean head.

My guess is that your butt will be picture perfect soon.

And NO, I really don't want to see the pictures. But you might check with TuTu.

I hear she is a butt kind of gal.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wantabe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14703

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wantabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I won't make any cracks about your butt lines [Big Grin]

I am also wondering the same- mine are on my thighs and around both of my knees. They fade and reappear.
This morning the back of my legs are dark purple with all the lines that showed up over the night. Looks like a road map to nowhere.

Hey, free and somewhat painless tatoos- maybe a new fashion statement... who needs fishnet stockings when you can show off all the spider veins?

I started Levaquine 500 1X day on 12/16- so I figure something is happening w/ bart...

wantabe

--------------------
Lyme+ dx Dec.07
Currently: Levaquin,Cefdinir,Plaquinil,Fluconazole
Nystatin,B12 meth, nortriptyline
Ambien,Clonazepam,many supplements
Dairy, sugar, gluten free diet
infrared sauna and exercise

Posts: 235 | From Iowa | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[lol] Tincup you are hilarious!

And I can certainly relate to thighs that look like roadmaps wantabe!

Hoos, I've been on Zith for about five months now and I've had the SAME problem. Spider veins that come and go on my thighs. I also had a streaky rash appear out of nowhere on my neck by my ear.

It started off really bright and has faded over the last three months. It's almost completely gone now. Interestingly, this is one of the places I got bitten by a tick when I contracted Lyme and co.

I'm with TC - herx related. Which really excites me b/c that means the rifampin is DOING something and that also probably means this awful fatigue and depression you're going through are herx related too!!

Can you believe this?! I'm getting excited about the spider veins on your butt!! [woohoo]

Seriously Hoos, I think you're on the right track. I think the rifampin is hurting you because it's helping you, and that makes me happy!

Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone!

Lauren: You are just the sweetest.....what a great friend to be super-excited for me at a sign of potential progress! [Smile]

I sure hope that's what it is.....though all the fatigue and crummy feeling is tough to go through during Christmas.....so my heart goes out to everyone out there that is currently herxing! I just keep telling myself it is for happier years in the future.

I will have to call Victoria's Secret and cancel my upcoming photo shoot......last I checked a veiny behind didn't sell lacey "unmentionables"....

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am wondering about my spider veins. I think they are caused by Bartonella and after reading this thread I am more convinced. But, if anyone has any additional thoughts they would care to share I would appreciate it.

I started taking Dynacin about six weeks ago and little spider veins popped out on my thighs and calves. Some are quite large and noticeable. Others are small and faint. They do not seem to fade as those some of you have described.

I have always had a problem with them on the sides of my nose, and have had them removed by a plastic surgeon a couple of times, but they always come back. The doctor was unable to tell me why I got them. At the time of my treatments I did not know I had Baronella.

As far as I know Dynacin (a minocycline) does not go after Bartonella so I don't understand why these veins suddenly popped out. I recently added Zithromax but the veins were coming out before I started taking it. I should also mentione that I took Samento for six weeks starting mid-March and did experience other Bart-like skin problems such as acne-looking rashes on my arms, chest and back.

Could these be Bart-induced or are they just from getting older? I am 53. This is all so confusing.

I was diagnosed with Lyme, Bart and Babesia this past spring.

Thanks for any information you can give me.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they are from bart. I have some on the ankles, some are gone with HH, but some stay.

When I rife I get many tiny little red dots in this area, these disappear after days. I think the dots are from barts, but I do not know.

I have a friend and she had this problem when she was in her 20th. She had often cosmetic surgery to get it better, with 35 she got cancer. Hope this is not related to the bart.

I think nothing is from age, it is always related to the disease, when you are older you had more years and chances to add more bugs.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
karenl,

I appreciate your reply and I think you may be right that these spider veins are caused by Bart. Yesterday I noticed some new ones on one of my breasts along with a red, elevated dot. I forget what that is called but it starts with a P, I think.

Yesterday afternoon I went to the plastic surgeon again to have two odd lesions on my nose taken off. I also had one taken off of my arm. She did not know what they were, but I asked her if she could specifically have them tested for Bart along with the other tests they do.

I don't know if that is even possible. She did not not seem to know what Bart was so we'll see.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got lots of those spider veins, but have not had Bart show up for two years. I wonder if it is something else too, or if Bart did a permanent job on me.

I've heard that mold and fungals will block small blood vessels. Also nanobacterium. Who knows. But if you get rid of them, will you please tell me how you did it?

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

quote:
Originally posted by bejoy:
But if you get rid of them, will you please tell me how you did it?

A plastic surgeon temporarily got rid of the ones on my nose by using a hyfercator (sp?). The machine burst them open and my nose looked wonderful for a few months, but they came back.

Previously I had two different dermatologists try and get rid of them with lasers but that did not work at all.

Oh well. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Alv
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok ...I have had them at the bottom of my feet.ONce bart was under controll than the ones at my feet left..but there are some very small that I see behind my calf..and i never had them before lyme exsplosion .

Seem to me as gram c negative bacteria

The protocoll I have been lately made them to fade away ....
My son is covered all over the body and is not bart.....but he has gram c negative bacteria ( ricketsia family) AND babs / protozoa only .

Bart treatment on his case did not eradicated them but the new protocoll..is making them fade away .

The ones on his foot were gone with bart treatment as well.

[ 05-27-2009, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Alv ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement