LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question about feeling like going to pass out or lose consciousness

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about feeling like going to pass out or lose consciousness
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 9 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone else here ever feel like they may lose consciousness, faint, or just drop??? Do you get this from the disease itself????

I know that low blood pressure can cause this as well, and I DO have low blood pressure, BUT I've had low blood pressure for a long time and don't ALWAYS feel like I'm going to faint or lose consciousness. I used to think it was just on herxing days, etc., but I really don't know what is causing it. It happens on and off.

I also take Toprol (a beta blocker) for crazy heart stuff like palps and tachycardia and murmur... and I know beta blockers can lower blood pressure, but I am pretty positive my blood pressure was low before being put on Toprol anyway and it hasn't significantly dropped it lower than it usually is, which is always around 85/50.

But, like I said, I don't know if the low blood pressure is what is causing my having feelings like losing consciousness or feeling very lightheaded and woozy or if it's the lyme and/or co-infections.

Anyone else have this and know what caused it? Was it from your herxes, the disease, etc.???

I'm getting so down about this. It's Christmas eve and I feel so ill. I am so sick of this, so sick of feeling like the walking dead. Feeling half conscious and half NOT. [Frown]

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had a cortisol level drawn to check your adrenals? Your pressure is too low even if that is a normal for you. something isn't right. Drink some water and take some salt. When my pressure is low I take it sitting and then again when I stand. If there is much of a drop I know it's a volume problem and drink boullion or water and take some salt to increase my volume. Ask your Dr. about cortisol and the adrenal glands. Your adrenals also produce aldosterone which is a hormone that helps you retain sodium so you can keep volume. I take atenolol for weird heart stuff like you. I'm also on cortisol and florinef( it replaces aldosterone) My pressures were low and I was getting dizzy a lot. Sleeping all the time and feeling like horrible. Try the salt and water.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would guess that it's from your BP being so low. That's why I feel as bad as I do sometimes, and it's not good now when I am standing, about 85/60 or so.

That's why I am on midodrine and florinef in addition to a beta blocker.

Keep your knees above your hips as much as possible, try a recliner, if one's available and lie down whenever possible

Hope you make it through your holiday trip OK.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/\/\/\

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is your iron? Have you had your Ferritin checked lately? That could be behind some of this if it is low.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Licorice helps raising blood pressure. You can buy it in capsules or buy a pound of it to make an easy tea at 1StChineseherbs.com. We just got a pound of it and it makes an easy tea. Add fluids and yes, the good salt. Himalajan or the Red Salt from Utah. Make it in a glass dissolving a pound until it does not dissolve any longer. Add a spoonful of that to your daily drinking water - as much as you can tolerate to drink. Add more salt overall. We have been brainwashed into using too little.

My husband has the same problem and faints.
We are still exploring the why's.

I have also made Cayenne-pepper tincture from very strong pepper also from First Chinese. A drop or two brings him around. http://www.shirleys-wellness-cafe.com/fulvic.htm#pheno - search for cayenne pepper on her site. Lots of info.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tracy, yes, my iron is low. But I have been taking iron supplements. Not everyday, but quite often. I need to have my ferritin checked again.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi,

If you need strong peppers, I grow some ones that'll wake up the dead it's a little hobby of mine. I'm talking some real crazy stuff. [Smile]

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disturbed,

I feel this way all of the time. That and headaches are my worst sx.

I do not have extremely low BP. I do have low ferritin but supplement. Cortisol levels are normal until evening when they drop a bit (low end normal).

My LLMD di mention the salt thing to me. He said that the brain needs salt to function. I do not use salt because I don't like it.

After reading here, I may have to start using it. My LLMD said to salt everything.

Maybe it is the salt?????

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ForestNymph
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15109

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ForestNymph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This happens to me regularly. I will just be walking around the house and I will suddenly feel as though I will drop to the ground so I have to sit down and wait for it to pass. My vision also goes out.

What exactly happens when you feel faint? Like does your field of vision go out, do you feel pressure in your head? Do you feel the room spinning?

--------------------
Infected in March '06

Lyme Disease, Bartonella, Babesia

Diagnosed June '07

Remission Since September 2011.

My Story:
http://lymelabyrinth.blogspot.com

www.myspace.com/psyche_entranced

Posts: 119 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

ForestNymph - It's really hard to explain. I get the very full head feeling, like my head is a balloon and will pop any moment. Feels very heavy and I feel very woozy and lightheaded and sort of dizzy. And all of that together just makes me feel like I could drop at any moment and lose consciousness. I don't know how else to explain it, but it's a very scary feeling. This happens to me on and off. I hate when it comes on. Sometimes it'll last a full day, sometimes just a half a day, sometimes I get a day without it. It just comes on unexpectedly. [confused]

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel this way also. Sometimes it feels like the oxygen is being cut off to my brain. Also get that full head feeling. It's good to know I'm not alone!
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This also has happened to me. I also have low BP and did have POTS syndrome before being dx w/Lyme. At my lowest BP was 75/30. I've had a variety of passing out/losing consiousness feelings.

Not only standing up but also laying down or as I'm about to fall asleep. It felt like I was blacking out, not drifting off to sleep. Very scary. I then forced myself to wake up and stay awake b/c I was sure I would die in my sleep. This has also happened while driving. That seemed almost like a narcoleptic episode.

I hope it passes for you. Mine has improved somewhat. I've been treating for a year now. I also pour salt on everything but I crave it.

Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Laura - I also put tons of salt on everything I eat. And I also crave salt as well. I am not a fan of sugar, but I am a HUGE fan of salty/spicy foods. I don't think putting salt on everything I eat helps that well. I think I need to keep adding sea salt to my water and see how well that helps.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my goodness! I am so glad to read your post--not glad that this happens to you, but glad someone else goes through this!
I haven't been diagnosed yet, but I've had those weird pass-outy kinds of feelings from time to time--it can come on when I'm lying down, standing up or walking through the store, and it's SCARY!!!! I too have low BP on a regular basis (around 100/70 or 90/60), but it's never caused problems before. And I don't have a way to check my BP when I'm feeling this wayto see if it's BP related.
WHen it happens to me, I get light-headed, my vision goes funny (well, funnier than usual), and I just feel like I'm trying to leave my body, if that makes sense.
So, glad to know I'm not alone.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janis1023
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janis1023     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That happened to me once at the office. I felt so strongly that I had to lay down that even if someone put a gun to my head and said I couldn't I would've anyway.

Like earth was a magnet and my body was steel and it had to lay down.

I laid on the loveseat at the entryway and was out for 3 hours like a beached whale, and am certain I was not just asleep.

Nice that all left me alone cause they thought I was probably just tired. I didn't have time to tell anyone how I felt, just went down.

On the other hand, if I needed emergency care I was SOL!

Jan

--------------------
3 Strains Mycoplasma and Chlymedia 2001.
After treatment fine for all 2004.
Major symptoms since 2005.
Diag Aug 2008 Lyme.
400 mg/d doxy
500 2/d Ceftin

Posts: 164 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickled1
Member # 14257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickled1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just remembered I felt like that at my wedding! That (for lack of a better term) sucked! And felt like that on and off through my whole honeymoon. Man, when I go into remission, we're taking another honeymoon!!! [lol]
Posts: 2541 | From Northeast | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

I too sort of felt this way on my wedding. I was very afraid I was going to faint on my wedding day because I've fainted before and it had me very paranoid.

Luckily, I got through it without fainting, but still feeling kind of blah and 'out of it'. I too felt like this on the honeymoon on and off.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement