LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Herb treatment & yeast protection ????

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herb treatment & yeast protection ????
sofylyme
Member # 7900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofylyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on abx for 4 years and ate an anti yeast diet the whole time. I had to stop the abx last Aug. and then I added some apples, blueberries, rice cakes & 1/3 c quinoa to my allowed daily food.

Now Im just starting the Buhner Healing Lyme herbal protocal and am wondering if this treatment can cause the same yeast problem or can I still eat my apple for breakfast? Im still taking 1 probiotic per day but its hard to tell if Im fine because I had to start drinking aloe juice before every meal so I can still swallow pills and that causes some changes to your tummy but it completely stopped all my throat issues.

If abx can kill off the good stuff in the tummy can the herbs do the same thing? What do you think? I didnt see anything written about a yeast problem from taking the herbs in the book so Im hoping to be able to still eat some fruit.

Posts: 55 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

I've been on the Buhner protocol for several months now. No problem with yeast whatsoever. Andrographis is fabulous in helping to prevent fungal infections.

Andrographis got rid of a mouthful of burning uclers I had had for four straight years. Within one week - amazing. (Allicin also had helped but, for me, it raises tinnitus to unbearable levels.)

--

Yes, tart apples and dark berries are fine and, in fact, very good antioxidants and fiber. I eat all sorts of whole grains that are gluten free. In addition quinoa and red quinoa, there is wild rice (really a grass), buckwheat (really a legume), and many varieties of brown and black rices. Millet and amarynth (sp?), too.

There is a wonderful family of gluten-free crackers: Mary's Gone Crackers that are better than rice cakes in every way: www.marysgonecrackers.com

----

Yes, taking probiotics is still a good idea. I get mine in a green powder formula. Miso soup has wonderful probiotics, too.

I also highly recommend FLORASTOR, now and then, for extra protection against the possibility of c.diff. www.florastor.com

You can search Buhner's web site for what he might say about all this, though. I just got an email that their site will be having a cosmetic change soon so if you don't get through, try again.

--------------

http://tinyurl.com/5vnsjg

Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections - by Stephen Harrod Buhner

web site options: www.gaianstudies.org/lyme-updates.htm

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Andrographis - 229 abstracts

Andrographis, fungal - 8 abstracts

-----------------------------

Slippery Elm helps me with the stomach irritation that can come with andrographis.

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/slippery-elm-inner-bark-ulmus-rubra.html

SLIPPERY ELM INNER BARK (Ulmus rubra)

WHAT IT DOES: Slippery elm inner bark is sweet in taste and neutral in action. It soothes the throat and coats and soothes the intestines.

. . .

Slippery elm contains abundant vegetable mucilage, which has a coating action useful in treating digestive conditions with inflamed mucous membrane linings such as gastritis, gastric or duodenal ulcer, enteritis and colitis.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

I just took a look in Buhner's book and he offers research about Japanese Knotweed working well against candida.

He does suggest using a probiotic and also saccharomyces boulardii, the key ingredient in Florastor (linked above).

For anyone with an active candida infection, on page 174, he offers more specific detail.

-

sofylyme
Member # 7900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sofylyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Ive been to the Bruhner site and there is so little info there and they dont have an active helpful posting site like this one. I also tried to go to the yahoo site and didnt find anything helpful and mentally it was hard for me to use. Im going to try posting some other ??? right here and hopefully there will be some others like you who are using this process for tomorrows hope.

Posts: 55 | From ct | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mustluvdogs
Member # 18273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustluvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. I'm relatively new here. Well I've been lurking.

Anyway, I use Grapefruit Seed Extract. But if you are on abx you have to take 3-4 hours after and schedule in between probiotics.

I had a yeast infection and took two and totally got rid of it. It's a very powerful natural anti-fungal.

Take care.

Posts: 46 | From NE Ohio | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

sofylyme,

You do have the book to guide you, I hope. It is important to ramp up very slowly as instructed with the andrographis. And take with food at first.

The stomach upset can be rough but it gets better. Fatigue will probably also be worse at the beginning so understanding that and planning for it can help.

I find the benefits to be worth it - but I've not really gotten into the full protocol yet. I'm really slow in charting this out and ordering from different suppliers, etc.

As Mustlovgods said, GSE is also excellent. And it can work on the cyst form of lyme, too.

Still, the probiotics are also good as they do much more than just help prevent or heal from candida. Probiotics have many beneficial properties.

-

sofylyme
Member # 7900

Slippery Elm
I forgot when I first read your suggestion about it cuz I have used it many times but when I searched the net about it I found one place that said that taking it with any medications can interfere with your body absorbing the medication so you need to make sure you wait at least an hour or two between the taking of meds and Slippery Elm. Most site did not mention this.

Keebler HERBS with FOOD???
You said that at first you take andrographis with food. I have the book and dont remember reading anything about any of the herbs that said with or without food. I just started 1 pill 4 times a day and have taken 3 with meals and will be taking my first one without food at bedtime.

I wont be able to take cats claw because he says acid neutralizers like aloe juice stop the body from absorbing it but I also started the resveratrol at the same time because it says it helps the brain and my brain need all the help it can get pdq.

MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Food makes it easier to swallow that many pills (several of us took our pills with food because of swallowing problems while on full protocol, when you're taking at 12-16 pills several times a day).

Otherwise, most people don't have stomach upset from the herbs, so it probably doesn't matter as much as it does for some antibiotics unless you notice that it upsets your stomach.

Take a look at the links in the 'herbal threads' link in my signature for some older threads about Lymenet people's experience with the protocol. It worked quite well for me for Lyme.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement