LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Deep thigh bone pain. Babs?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Deep thigh bone pain. Babs?
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Im wondering if anyone gets this sort of deep thigh bone pain. Its right in the center of my thigh. It feels like someone is stabbing my thigh or drilling deep into it.

Does anyone else get this? I seem to only get this when i relapse and it goes away when i start to improve so im kinda worried.

What do u guys think it is?

Im treating everything but babs now.

Thanks,
Joe

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/jocus20

also check out my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jocus20

Posts: 248 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I've had that the past several evenings. Also in my arm recently, from the elbow to mid-forearm.
I've often experienced these bone-deep pains, so it is nothing I attribute to any particular meds.

Does your pain last long? Luckily mine usually lasts less than a minute, but can also keep coming back over the course of an hour.

Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forgot to say I don't know if it's a babs issue.
Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard this attributed to bartonella. Symptoms more pronounced in the evenings. Have you treated for bartonella?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The longer I am in treatment for lyme and co's, the more I find out that I don't know. Around and around I go.

I know that I suffered with some very rough bone pain that would move, so although it was in my thighs at some point, it might be in an arm or even the bottom of my feet so much that even walking on them would hurt.

For me, my LLMD felt it was related to bartonella and it would flair even more when on treatment, so it probably was. Had to go through several different abx to seem to reverse all the bone pain, but I do think we finally got that one.

I am on babesiosis treatment at this time for the second time, but this isn't saying that you can't get bone pain with that too.

Sadly, these symmptoms can overlap so much which is why we hopefully have a lot of trust in our LLMD's so they can help us sort it all out.

I do know that my LLMD had said that if you still have a co infection out there, that you will tend to relapse, so I'd definitely run it by your doctor and see what he/she thinks. Good luck.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I *think* babesia is moreso associated with weakness in the legs, and if pain is part of it (can't remember) I usually picture it as muscle pain, not bone pain. That is just opinions from what I have read/heard.

So my guess would be Lyme or Bart or something else.....

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Are you able to gently stretch the muscles in your legs a couple times a day? Tendons can create a huge level of pain when they tighten up.

I have found that intense pain can come from inactivity. Not at a judgment at all for I am very exercise intolerant. But, when I can do certain stretches, my deep muscle pains are less because the tendons are not pulling as tightly.

Even while lying on the bed, some stretches are possible.

Massage may help, too. Magnesium, as always, too.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jocus20     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for all of your replies. I guess it might not be bone pain exactly but it feels deep in my thigh like near the bone.

Alll of these symptoms overlap with one another so im not really sure what is attributed to what.

Im taking mag and things like wobenzym but its still bothering me.

I guess it could be tendons and be bart. I am treating bart right now so i dunno if its due to that or not.

I apperciate all the responses and info.

Joe

--------------------

Posts: 248 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just want to check. Are you on Levaquin? If so, tendon pain means STOP!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Good point, lymednva makes.

When I suggest stretching, (I would hope that) it is always understood to be gentle, gentle, gentle -- -and if on meds that put the tendons at risk (as bart meds do) - following instructions precisely to prevent damage circumvents any other advice.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

No im not taking levaquin. Im taking rifampin for bart right now.

--------------------

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I had what I think were babesia symptoms in my legs, it was basically what I would describe as weakness, like they just wanted to give up and collapse, literally. So it wasn't what you are describing....but, that doesn't mean yours isn't babesia too.

Hope it gets better!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
whome
Member # 18979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for whome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had deep, deep knee pain in my right knee, right before diagnosis. I also got it in my right calf, about 6 mos into treatment.

The pain was so deep and so bad, I thought I could actually go to the ER from it. But, it would let up. It seemed to go in waves.

Posts: 33 | From VA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Thank you. Im starting to the think pain is more bartonella related as ive started getting more calf and shin pain too. I dont know what the deal is.

--------------------

alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get that deep bone pain, especially in my thighs but also in my upper arms and knees.

I believe it's caused by Lyme because I'm pretty certain my co-infections were all treated effectively.

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
landerss
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for landerss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get that deep pain in my left thigh bone, as well. Since being treated with Bactrim for Bartonella the last two months, it's subsided for the most part, and so I'm guessing that's what caused it. I hope it doesn't come back...not fun!

--------------------
Increasingly ill over past 10 yrs; treating since October '08.

Posts: 180 | From Philadelphia, PA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bartonella.

It most typically is what is involved with deep muscle or bone pain.

Bartonella quintana is also called ... uh uh..

Well fiddle. Must be a brain froggy day.

Anyhow.. it is known to cause bad shin bone pain. Men, war trenches... ah ha!

Trench fever! It was transmitted to our troops in the trenches during the war by lice and fleas. Hence the name "trench fever".

Anyhow.. if you ever had a LLMD press on your shin bones and go up your leg toward your knee.. and they are mild to severely tender... that is a diagnostic clue.

My thought is you've increased the symptoms by treating it... stirred things up... and that is what you are feeling.

I could be wrong... but if I am... don't tell me! HA!

I am NOT a doctor. This is my opinion.

Hope it feels better soon!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jocus20
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11576

Thank u guys. Your probably right about it being bart. I am treating that right now but for me it feels like a relpase and not a herx.

Im hoping its just a flare or a herx and not a relapse.

It had gone away for about 4 months and now its back full blown.

I might have to attack it with something else.

Thanks again

--------------------

greenbow
Member # 21463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jocus, i get the deep stabbing pain in my left thigh..i also get the calf and shin pains too.
did you find any relief for this?

Posts: 94 | From ut | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh!

I've had the same kind of deep bone pain lately again too, so severe that it keeps me up at night. Usually it's in my shinbones, too. I'm currently on treatment for Lyme and babs; I had bartonella, was treated for it a couple of times, and my LLMD thought I'd had it beat.

After reading this thread, I'm wondering if it's back yet again. Not happy at that prospect!!! Thanks for the thought, Tinny!

Especially since I have bad reactions to Levaquin...and no its NOT tendon stuff. In my case, I lose my sense of balance to such a degree that I literally can't figure out how to stand up.

IMO, Joe, I don't think what you're describing is tendon pain, either. Hoping with you that its part of a herx and not a relapse!

greenbow, have you tried either Lyrica or Neurontin for your pain?

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jocus,
I have bone pain in my thigh as well. I originally thought it was deep muscle pain and described it to my llmd just like that.

He said it was bone pain from Babesia. (uh...unless I have Bartonella and just don't know it yet) Uh Oh!!

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greenbow
Member # 21463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no maryland mom...i haven't tried them...i try to stay away from any script meds besides the abx.
cucurmin helps me a lot for the pain..thanks for your post.

Posts: 94 | From ut | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Joe,

I have serious bone pain these days. When it first started, SixGoofy thought it was babs. . deep in my thigh.

Since then, the pain is different. I'm calling that Bart pain.

For me, yoga mama . . .you know it ain't inactivity. It actually gets worse sometimes in my leg. . deep, deep, deep after a lot of yoga.

So, go figure. I'm on cumanda, and it has gotten MUCH worse since the start of that.

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this same symptom. It is always in my right thigh. It came on real strong when I started malaron again, but I had also just gotten off of Rifampin for bart. For me I am not sure if it is a bart relapse from stopping rifampin or herx from the malarone.

So frustrating!

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just posted here. Don't know if it will help.. but maybe?

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/86334

General rule of thumb in many cases....

Muscle pain can = Babesia

Bone pain or close to the bone (like circling the bone) can = Bartonella.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler, I agree that pain can come from inactivity.

We are all so sick with the Lyme and Co that we aren't doing what we used to, and muscles degrade very rapidly.

It's also important not to overdo the exercising though.

I try to do 1/2 mile walking when I can, tai chi, and some very light weights. only 3 lbs.

I find this helps keep my muscles more toned without being too much.

Also, my massage therapist.. or chiropractor can't remember which... told me that tendons are actually part of the muscle, whereas I thought they were separate entities like ligaments.

Seems the muscle changes into a tendon to attach itself... or something like that. I have tendon problems and also deep pain in arm with certain movement.

Hope it passes quickly Joe, and I'll keep you all in prayer.

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greenbow
Member # 21463

i still run to the point of half marathons but, i still have muscle pain..cucurmin does help though.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement