LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Heart palpatations right as I fall asleep

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heart palpatations right as I fall asleep
HollyM
Member # 15386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollyM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This symptom comes and goes, does anyone know why this might be happening? Seizure? Nervous system disfunction? Sleep apnea?
Posts: 33 | From Chicago | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pammy
Member # 15695

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get this too sometimes...it comes and goes. I think quite a few people get this. Not sure exactly

what it is from but I know caffeine makes it worse. Sometimes it helps to prop myself up with pillows so

I'm not lying flat. Try not to get too freaked out by it.

Posts: 92 | From home | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i been having this since before treatment and its gotten better but not gone away. Read some of my old posts.

Right as I'd drift completely to sleep it would happen. Can never get an answre for it but its common and its lyme. it will improve and it hasn't killed me yet.

--------------------
DX'ed Lyme Disease: 7/7/2008
DX'ed Babesia, Epstein Barr, Liver Parasite 8/15/2013.

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh me too - used to happen often and was scarey! I used to get it most often when I laid on my left side.

I've been in treatment only 7 months - but this hardly ever happens anymore. Some others have said it improves with treatment.

How long have you been in treatment? Have you been tested for co-infections? Also you need to let your doctor know this is happening to rule out other (other than Lyme) causes.

Best wishes to you.
-p

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've experienced that too and only at night...kind of a feeling of transient fibrillation or heart flutter. Just lately but never before.

I've been trying to figure out if it is actually cardiac related or just something else in my chest.

Posts: 410 | From Victoria BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was always a horrid symptom for me. It did go away with treatment, but somewhere along the line I relapsed.

I'm back to fighting it all over again. Infact, it woke me up too many times to count last night.

For me personally, I think it's happening more often during babesiosis treatment, so hoping it is going to herx itself out of my body yet again.

It's definitely not comfortable and this time around I'm breaking out in bed wetting soaks with it.

I have been through all the heart tests, all the way down to a heart catherization and they found nothing, so I imagine it's a type of anxiety assoicated with lyme or a co.

Do let your doctor know and perhaps your treating protocol can be switched up.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had this where it felt like my heart was beating out of my chest before bed....like I could feel the beat through every inch of my body. I don't know if it skipped beats though.

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holly, quite possibly any of the things you mention. Have you ever had a sleep study?

Another thought - our brains being so "toxic" and "over-firing" (sympathetic systems in overdrive), quite possibly going from possibly high-beta brain waves during the day to being forced to [try] cycling to sleep must wreak havoc with our nervous systems.

Like having a roller coaster come to an abrupt stop as opposed to it slowing down gradually, etc...hope that helps, just know you're not alone!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollyM
Member # 15386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollyM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for your replies, this helps.

I tested negative for Babesia, but my doctor has given me a round of the treatment (biaxin and plaquinl) to try to see if this helps.

Man this is a rollercoster!

Posts: 33 | From Chicago | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i get this too. sometimes it feels like it's beating so hard it's like a big thump in my chest. then i'll get rapid very fast beats, then what feels like a missed beat.

it got better with treatment but i still get it periodically.

i've had the heart checkup and the doc said it was "MPV" which he said is pretty common.

i think mpv stands for mitral valve prolapse...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Just Julie
Member # 1119

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Just Julie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you lay on your left side, you will increase the pumping ability of the heart, that is why when pregnant women in labor are having trouble, they lay the woman on her left side . . . that said, my palps are definitely worse when I lay on my left side.

Now I have my brain trained to sleep mostly on my right side. Not good for my hip joints, as I'm increasingly becoming more overweight with perimenopause, but what can you do?

--------------------
Julie

Posts: 1027 | From Northern CA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had palps for years, and more recently strong pounding which I could feel up my neck into my head. Like I could "hear" my pulse. Freaky.

I recently tried Hawthorn Berry Extract, and I am pretty sure it's helping. When I forget to take it, I get the pounding heart at night. Look into the heart benefits of Hawthorn.

Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueCheetah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueCheetah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My palpitations seem to get worse at night too. They do not wake me up when I am sleeping but they do increase at night.

--------------------
Lyme, Babesia Microti, possible Bart.

Posts: 173 | From A little south of sanity - PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Holly,

What is your magnesium level? You may need to increase that.
Taking it with sublingual B-6 is good.

And be sure that you have absolutely no aspartame/Nutrasweet/Equal in your diet - even in cough drops.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickssuck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15388

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickssuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Me too. I get the heart palps a lot. Certainly at night time but also during the day. I think I just notice them more at night as I am trying to quiet down.

Like btmb03 said...it makes sense to me about the sympathetic nervous system. I feel like mine is on high all of the time ever since getting sick with Lyme and company.

That being said, I am treating babesia aggressively right now and am having more palps and chest pain; wonder if it's stirring things up and am hopeful it will all settle down. I've had an echo and stress test, normal.

Overall, after 10 months of tx, many symptoms are at least slightly (sigh) improved. Good luck, this is awful, I know. TS

Posts: 566 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kylasrain
Member # 12031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kylasrain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I've been having these too lately and I'm so comforted to hear that Im not alone.

My heart pounds in my ears as I lay down. It used to wake me up several times a night while I was on Rifampin, but now I've switched to Levaquin and it only happens when I lay down in general.

Doc prescribed some tinctures: "coro-calm" and "cardinorma", distributed by BioResource Inc.

We'll see...

--------------------
http://kylahikeson.blogspot.com

Posts: 97 | From CA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's Bartonella
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi.....I had been having this also. I reported it to my PCP and wore a heart monitor halter for 48 hours....turns out I have a mild case of a-fib (atrial fibrilation).

One of the primary characteristics of a-fib is: it's not exercise induced BUT comes on at rest like when you go to bed. For some it can also come on when you sit down during the day to rest.

Yes, it is probably caused by Lyme/CO....however, it should be reported and looked into. It is ordinarily not life threatening but is important in the total health picture.

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lightfoot:
For some it can also come on when you sit down during the day to rest.

-
I didn't know that.. but I have often experienced it with my A-fib. Always wondered why it would get weird while sitting here on the computer!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Likely caused by Babs -
Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just PM'd somebody up a few,,,,but any body notice the date 5 up????/

How many of these people are still here and/or well?

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, aren't we sompting!!! It is a bit of an old post.

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all cane's fault. Bad boy. Who said he could do that!?? [Razz]

BTW, CoQ10 helps keep palps away too.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ShakespeareMama
Member # 19170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ShakespeareMama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My heart, sometimes, feels like it's going to beat out of my chest. It even makes me lose my breath, now and then.

This only occurs when I'm laying on my right side, though. As soon as I turn to my left, it stops.

I have had my heart checked and a sleep study. Neither of these showed any heart problems.

It still scares the foolishness out of me, though!

I also have excruciating chest pains, while standing, on occasion. If I try to breathe during these pains, it hurts so much. However, I've learned that if I brace myself and take a quick, huge breath, I feel a "pop" and then everything is instantly OK.

My old PCP explained that one by saying it's fine. I probably just have a muscle near my heart that pops out of place... [confused]

Again...super scary! [shake]

--------------------
[insert motivational quote here]

Posts: 27 | From CT | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0ldman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It always seems to be associated with a herx for me.

If I fall asleep normally I don't have that problem. The days when I just crash out, the slightest disturbance, sound, etc, will get my attention, doesn't even have to scare me, and my heart will speed up and beat harder with every beat. Takes a little while to get back to normal.

The better I feel the less this happens. With me it is definitely associated with a herx.

--------------------
Ticks suck.

Posts: 140 | From Alabama | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a lot of that from a few days into treatment until really on-the-mend on my 3rd antibiotic protocol a few months in.
It's neurologically related & will clear with time.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Shakespeare.. Google costrochondritis.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement