LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does the white brain matter lesions progress?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does the white brain matter lesions progress?
JaimieB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JaimieB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To those of you that have lesions in white brain matter, do you know if it progresses with lyme disease? Meaning do they multiple as lyme is left untreated?

I got my 3rd mri done, and the nurse at the neuros said that nothing had progressed. So, I was wondering if those spots were really and truly migraine related and I need not worry about it?

Thank you all!!

Posts: 171 | From the land of oz | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Lyme symptoms will necessarily get worse if you leave the disease untreated, but you're taking a huge gamble, and they most likely won't get better.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soonermom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soonermom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have also had 3 MRI's and they were unchanged over 8 months. My lesions weren't typical for MS or migraines (which I have had for years). The first time my neuro looked at my MRI, he told me, "Maybe you had an infection at one time...but this is definitely NOT normal."

I have heard that some people's lesions will heal after treatment. It has almost been a year since my last MRI (and months of treatment) so I would like to have one more done just to see if there has been healing.

Although lesions can be in places "typical" for different diseases, they really can't say for sure what they are from. I guess to answer your question about if the lesions multiply if lyme disease is left untreated...mine did not over the months that I was undiagnosed. (I can only speak for myself, though)

--------------------
3/08 CDC Positive
IgM 18++ 23-25IND 31++++ 34++ 39+ 41+++ 58+ 83-93+

CDC Negative
IgG 31IND 39IND 41+++ 58+ 66+

Posts: 274 | From oklahoma | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My lesions have remain unchanged through almost five years of oral and IM antibiotics. I have heard one or more patients say that IV Rocephin cleared the lesions, so possibly IV is needed?

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaimieB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19076

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JaimieB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for responding.

I didnt know if it was really lyme if it should have progressed a little more. However, the receptionist gave me the results and was very quick with it. I would like to see them for myself.

I feel good that there isnt anymore lesions as of right now. I would like them to clear up but hey if thats the worst I end up with at the end of this, I am thankful.

My lesions were not typical for ms either. They really couldnt explain to me what they were from but then said they were migraine related. I think I would know if I had a migraine. The only thing that I had that was the WORST pain of my life was a spinal tap headache from my epideral almost 4 years ago.

I didnt know if this is Lyme if the lesions were representing neuro lyme???

Thank you again!

Posts: 171 | From the land of oz | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Why would you consider letting lyme go untreated? (There are various paths, even on a slim budget.)

Lesions may increase without treatment - or may not. However, letting a toxic infection go without treatment can have dire consequences in areas other than the spots on your MRI.

Have you been dx with lyme? Do you have a LLMD?

Yes, the lesions can be from lyme (or for some other illness or process), but you need an expert LLMD to better determine what is going on.

If you have lyme and you do not treat, the lesions are not the only indicator of the disease's progression. Other than migraines, do you feel totally tip-top with no other symptoms?

If this is lyme, with treatment, yes, some have seen lesions disappear with treatment. From what I've read, yes, the IV rocephin was the treatment. But, I'd just focus on seeing what an expert LLMD suggests.

I know this is a lot to take in and I hope you find the care you need. There are several ways to approach this but if you have lyme, treatment is essential.

First, it's best get the diagnositcs - included for the typical co-infections so you know the full range of what to address. (There is an excellent LLMD in S. Missouri.)

Good luck with your decision process. Take care.

=======================

www.clinicaladvisor.com/Controversy-continues-to-fuel-the-Lyme-War/article/117160/

From the May 2007 issue of Clinical Advisor

CONTROVERSY CONTINUES TO FUEL THE "LYME WAR" -(author's details at link)

As two medical societies battle over its diagnosis and treatment, Lyme disease remains a frequently missed illness. Here is how to spot and treat it.

Excerpts:

" . . .To treat Lyme disease for a comparable number of life cycles, treatment would need to last 30 weeks. . . ."

`` . . .Patients with Lyme disease almost always have negative results on standard blood screening tests and have no remarkable findings on physical exam, so they are frequently referred to mental-health professionals for evaluation.

"...If all cases were detected and treated in the early stages of Lyme disease, the debate over the diagnosis and treatment of late-stage disease would not be an issue, and devastating rheumatologic, neurologic, and cardiac complications could be avoided..."

. . . * Clinicians do not realize that the CDC has gone on record as saying the commercial Lyme tests are designed for epidemiologic rather than diagnostic purposes, and a diagnosis should be based on clinical presentation rather than serologic results.

- Full article at link above, containing MUCH more detailed information.

-===

Co-infections (other tick-borne infections or TBD - tick-borne disease) are not discussed in the Savely article due to space limits. Still, any LLMD you would see would know how to assess/treat if others are present.

==========================

This is just one article that illustrates the importance of getting treatment to prevent progression of lyme:

www.jneuroinflammation.com/content/5/1/40

Persisting atypical and cystic forms of Borrelia burgdorferi and local inflammation in Lyme neuroborreliosis

===============

TESTING

You should also be evaluated for coinfections. Not all tests are great in that regard, either, but a good LLMD can evaluate you and then guide you in testing. One of the top labs is:

www.igenex.com

IGENEX

-----

There are a couple other good labs for certain tests: Fry; Clognen; Focus. Your LLMD will know. Some say MDL does good work (but I don't know if they test all the bands).

========================

VERY important to read - even BEFORE testing:

Dr C's Western Blot explanation:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=042077

===========

TREATMENT

www.ilads.org

ILADS

The International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society (ILADS) provides a forum for health science professionals to share their wealth of knowledge regarding the management of Lyme and associated diseases.

- 2/3 down the page, you can download Guidelines for the management of Lyme disease

and

http://www.betterhealthguy.com/images/stories/PDF/LYMDXRX2008-October.pdf

Dr. Burrascano'sTreatment Guidelines (2008)

=====================

www.lymediseaseassociation.org

Lyme Disease Association

- In the menu to the left of their home page, you can order DVDs of past ILADS seminars. You might also be able to borrow some from your local lyme support group.

This are invaluable to understanding how these infections work. And, none of this is taught in medical schools. None.

=====================

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=029917

treepatrol's - Topic: Newbie Learning Help Links 5/21/08

=======

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=069262

Topic: BettyG's NEWBIE PACKAGE, 7.19.08, with TABLE OF CONTENTS FOR ALL!

======

Find your local SUPPORT GROUP for help in finding a doctor, etc.

www.lymenet.org/SupportGroups/UnitedStates

======

Post in: SEEKING A DOCTOR

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=2

======

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

========

http://tinyurl.com/5vnsjg

Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections - by Stephen Harrod Buhner

web site options: www.gaianstudies.org/lyme-updates.htm

================

http://tinyurl.com/5drx94

Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine - by Dr. QingCai Zhang, MD & Yale Zhang

web site: try www.sinomedresearch.org and use "clinic" and then "clinic" for the passwords or call Hepapro through www.hepapro.com

================

http://www.lymecommunity.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

RIFE

======================

http://tinyurl.com/5crsjv

Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic (2008) - by Pamela Weintraub

This details what an entire family went through. Having this knowledge of their journey will help others to get better, faster treatment.

http://www.cureunknown.com

==========================

FILM:

http://www.underourskin.com

UNDER OUR SKIN

DVD is $40. and worth every penny. It explains a lot.

--

Again, the very best of luck.

-

[ 02-18-2009, 12:25 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaimieB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19076

Keebler,

I think I may not have asked the question properly.

I was trying to ask if the lesions may just be related to migraines as orginally told to me? I also was asking if if the lesions would progress if in fact if it is related to lyme?

I hope I clarified this for you all. I cannot exactly type out my thoughts like I mean them anymore. Things come out wrong all the bloody time now.

There is no way in hades I would leave this untreated. Thats why I am on here all the time trying to absorb as much info as my feeble brain will take.

I did get the WB done yesterday to confirm(hopefully it will confirm) that in fact have LD. I am ready to get on a treatment plan ASAP!!

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-EPA

Read it very carefully...the benefits and doses.

OmegaBrite (very high level of EPA) is available over the internet.

It looks to tame down TNF alpha AND IL1B.

But MgCl (ideally IV) and sub (lingual) B6 = P5P maybe even much more beneficial.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brainspud
Member # 16428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainspud     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had 2 MRIs done six months apart. White matter legions increased on the second. Both done when I was ill, but not diagnosed with lyme yet. Have not had MRI since starting lyme treatment.
Posts: 73 | From ID | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement