LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » All who have taken diflucan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: All who have taken diflucan
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To all of you who have taken diflucan -

Did you have any side effects from it?

I have heard it can cause vertigo that doesn't go away? After even one dose!

I am functioning right now - okay with many problems - but able to function.

I need to be able to care for my kids.

I am very scared to begin taking this.

My doc wanted to use this as a mild cyst buster. Are there better choices? Less side effects?

If you feel this medicine is really good and that it is a good idea to try it, please change my mind.

Thanks.

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking Diflucan right now. In the beginning, my first LLMD would give me only a couple pills of it when I was starting to lose ground with the yeast.

My current LLMD has me on it twice a day every day. I've also had Nystatin and others in the past, but this is my current med with the abx.

For me, I didn't really notice any specific side effects but then I have been so darn sick with herxing and the disease that I probably wouldn't have been able to distiguish.

No two people will respond the same way to a medication so it's hard to predict how it will be with you.

I am not a doctor so have no idea about Diflucan being a cyst buster, but I do know that a German Doctor had a paper out that he felt Diflucan at the end of treatment with abx was what got him better with lyme.

The cyst busters I have been on at various different times were Plaquenil and Flagyl.

When you say that you have heard of it causing vertigo that doesn't go away, do you mean even after the medication is stopped?

Perhaps others will be able to give more insight. I do know it's harder on the liver so your doctor may want to take blood to keep an eye on that. Good luck.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did it daily for couple yrs 2X daily like tdtid. No problem for me.
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took it with no problems!
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NEVER heard of it causing permanent vertigo, but if you have yeast causing vertigo, then a diflucan herx could do that temporarily.

go here for more info:

www.drugdigest.com

I've taken hundreds of diflucan pills...no problems. Do get your liver enzymes checked every few months though.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wimenin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15294

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wimenin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No vertigo...but plenty of nausea and loose stools...at least...thats what Im wondering (unless its some stomache flu, or giardia type of bacteria crud).

When I take it my stomache aches like when I used to take doxy, or taking a vitamin on an empty stomache...ugh...

Posts: 514 | From . | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueCheetah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlueCheetah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel great on Diflucan. I now only take 100 mg a few times a week and it seems to always make me feel better.

--------------------
Lyme, Babesia Microti, possible Bart.

Posts: 173 | From A little south of sanity - PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wimenin.. then you could very well have yeast issues.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
diflucan always just makes me feel better. no herx. just better. i am often on 100 a day. so far no bad blood tests.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hezzer926
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hezzer926     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i havent had any negative effects that i can pin point on diflucan directly.. ive been on it for 2 months, twice a day
Posts: 245 | From East Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
could not take it. To hard on your liver and with herxing.
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JKMMC09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JKMMC09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please be very careful with Diflucan.

Diflucan is a Cytochrome P-450 inhibitor, and can have serious interactions with other medications that are also metabolized by the P-450 pathway in the liver.

My daughter ended up in the ICU due to a horrible reaction between Diflucan and her seizure med.

Posts: 371 | From CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diflucan can affect the absorption of many meds.

For instance, it has been given to transplant patients who are not absorbing anti-rejection drugs like tacrolimus/prograf. Diflucan helps the absorption and helps keep therapeutic levels of these meds in the blood.

IMO, it's a good med, but you have to make sure it doesn't interact with anything else you are taking. Make sure you do your homework.

Posts: 214 | From where ticks flourish | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Janice70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16319

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Janice70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI: Greenstone is a generic manufacturer of Diflucan, and they are a wholly owned subsidiary of Pfizer. Their Diflucan, I believe, is the same as the brand name drug.

You can call around to see which pharmacy uses Greenstone for Diflucan. Or, often pharmacies will order from a specific manufacturer if you request it.

So this is a way to get the same as brand, at the generic price.

Posts: 311 | From CA | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostgurl
Member # 19293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostgurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is all very interesting ... My LLMD isn't one to put patients on diflucan regularily. I have only had one dose and I battle yeast- I fought to get that dose! I see many different stories here, and great info.. I did fine and in fact after the diflucan I was definitely off the sugars/ no cravings (i have cravings/yeast overgrowth BAD) for a few days... I am wanting to take it weekly or more..
Posts: 49 | From Louisiana | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on the diflucan protocol for at least 18 months.

I take 200mg a day for 60 days.

Then take two weeks off.

Repeat cycle.

It can and has caused some mild hair loss.

My liver enzymes have always been normal.

This medicine helped me escape the brain fog

And more. It has been one of my best meds.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corey
Member # 19343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Corey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I felt almost feverish after taking it. Your body should get used to it, well mine did anyway.
Posts: 5 | From Savannah, GA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the first time I took Diflucan I had bizarre and scary symptoms, including dizziness and feeling that my legs would not hold me up; the next time I took it I felt great. I have always assumed that the first time I took it, I had a serious yeast die off!I have never again felt weird taking it - always now feel good when taking it.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for your responses. My LLMD told me that if I am so nervous about it, then I should probably not take it for now.

So, I am going to take doxy with zithromax for a month.

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there--

I've posted a couple of times in the past about Diflucan (Fluconazole) and possible interactions with magnesium. I was in horrible shape due to magnesium deficiency which was exacerbated by long-term use of Diflucan. This was not my analysis. A physician who is one of the leading experts in magnesium deficiencies in the U.S. diagnosed the deficiency and attributed it to Diflucan(based on prior studies he was aware of involving Diflucan) ..So, I'm not telling you to not take the Diflucan....Just be aware that it can cause depletion of magnesium if you're using it on a long-term/high dose basis....I was already low in mag due to the lyme disease itself.....

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement