LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » behavioral traits of Lyme + people

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: behavioral traits of Lyme + people
microw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for microw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am contemplating on some of the possible behavioral conditions which accompany disease forms such as Lyme, and toxoplasma.

If a microbe has ability to directly or indirectly produce cell mediators, or even neurotransmitters\peptides, then it is conceivable, that the organism can directly influence the thought patterns of host.
The sociological implications of this, are enormous [consider a powerful world leader with disease] and even on smaller provincial levels.

So, I thought I would ask what common thread runs through affected people.
Are there some common behavioral traits among Lyme sufferers? I know about "Lyme rage", but I am also thinking in terms of sexuality, habits, and other more subtle factors. Mirow

--------------------
microw

Posts: 129 | From Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

This can be a very slippery slope. We don't want lyme patients painted as not in control of their own thoughts and actions.

However, there are many articles about the neuropsychiatric effects of lyme and other tick-borne diseases.

--

As for myself. I am still the same person I was before. Same personality. Same hopes dreams and joy in relating to others.

I am just very ill and very sensitive to stimuli.

I'm not happy about that but I'm not clinically depressed, either. Although, were I to know for sure that I could get no better than I am today, I would not want to live in this state of ill health.

But, who would?

I don't have lyme rage. I never had. I don't get more angry than anyone else but I also simply don't have the energy to engage in emotions that drain me.

I am still socially and psychologically healthy when my body can engage.

I hesitate categorizing patients' thoughts.

Some of our feelings and thoughts may actually be quite reasonable, all things considered. But, taken out of context by those uneducated in lyme and TBD, could be grossly misinterpreted and turn on the lyme community.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eagle
Member # 19278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eagle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keebler:
However, there are many articles about the neuropsychiatric effects of lyme and other tick-borne diseases.

Keebler, Could you post some of these articles? I think it would be very helpful for those of us who develop emotional issues on and off throughout treatment.
Posts: 29 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
microw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for microw   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler. I certainly can see how sensitive this issue can be.
I am trying to focus on possible soluble protein factors, which may be contributing to the disease process.
In this respect, any first account feed-back is helpful.
Thanks

--------------------
microw

Posts: 129 | From Toronto, ON Canada | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Sorry, that would be a huge undertaking and one for which I have little energy. There are hundreds of such articles if you search "neuropsychiatric, borrelia"

Start with the LDA website, then ILADS, search PubMed for "Fallon, Nields, borrelia"

And the library here at Lyme Net - look to the left menu for medical abstracts, etc.

Also - go to the NEWBIE links by both Treepatrol and by BettyG and the Lymebrary.

Remember that not everyone with lyme has the same set of symptoms, though. And, the IDSA would love to categorize all lyme patients as mental patients with little distinction in the physical / infection connection.

Hopefully, others will come along to guide your search.

=============

You should also search "Virginia Sherr" and "The Human Side of Lyme" - she has written extensively on this topic.

www.thehumansideoflyme.net

==============

Cheryl just posted this link at another thread:

Topic: Link: Neurocognitive Lyme

http://www.lymeinfo.net/neuropsych.html

=========

This article has much attention on both lyme and Cpn:

http://tinyurl.com/preview.php?num=64y3rv

(then clink "PROCEED TO THIS SITE")

May 2008 Volume 39 Number 5 LABMEDICINE
www.labmedicine.com - American Society for Clinical Pathology

CHRONIC BACTERIAL AND VIRAL INFECTIONS IN NEURODEGENERATIVE AND NEUROBEHAVIORAL DISEASES

- by Garth Nicolson, Ph.D.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We aren't entirely in control of our thoughts and actions. Biologically you're entire ability to navigate and interact with other people and the world hinges on your brains ability to execute function. If the brain is damaged or in a disease state, then any information output will be distorted, including personality, moods, reactions, even unconscious patterns.

Everyone and anyone is subject to this, it's a fact.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from my newbie links ...

Distinct Pattern of Cognitive Impairment Noted in Study of Lyme Patients .....MUST READ!! EXPLAINS EVERYTHING !!
written by Marian Rissenberg PhD & Susan Chambers MD,
The Lyme Times, Vol. 20, Jan-Mar 1998, pp. 29-32

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/71550?#000000

i copied that and included that in my SSDI app going to admin law judge; don't know if they read it or not! but it describes us to a T !

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed w's actions, ability to speak & process thought seemed to diminish after he got that 'tick bite' in the summer of '07. STARI, my ***!
Ol' George's probably gettin' better medical care down there in TX than most, though.
I think he "misunderestimated" what that bite might DO. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
microw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14702

Thanks everybody for your comments.
And BettyG--thank you for that link. I will study this report, it looks like something I was looking for. Microw

--------------------
microw

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement