LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mepron gamble... anyplace cheaper?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mepron gamble... anyplace cheaper?
CAGCLEC
Member # 18185

Icon 4 posted      Profile for CAGCLEC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would really appreciate anyones input on this.

I was recently told by my llmd that I need to go on mepron, zithro and artemesinin for a babs test result that is inconclusive. My ins wont pay unless there is a very positive bld smear.

With that and all of the supp's, bld tests, etc it is going to be around $8,ooo for the first 5 months. I priced things through canada pharmacy online.

My husband and I can do that with savings, but then she said if it doesnt work, we will go to iv.

This is all to treat the babs, then after I still have to treat the lyme!

There is no guarantee that this will even work. If we start off with this, we cant afford to go on and do any more treatment.

I was bit by a tick when I was 8 yr old. Had lots of symptoms, no lyme test. I am now 37.

Has it hoestly been too long to realistically expect a cure with antibiotics?

We have 3 kids and I hate to spend every penny on this when I feel like it's a gamble (not much of a gambler... never even bought a lotto ticket:).

does anyone know of a cheaper place for meds?

Has anyone heard of someone having it this long and getting better?

Is there some way to "make" a test come back positive with supp., antibiotic manipulation?

Thanks,
Christine

Posts: 10 | From Clovis, CA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes - you can get better.

As for Mepron - contact GSK (GlaxoSmithKline, the maker of Mepron). They have several programs for people who can't afford their meds.

Bridges to Access is one - free Mepron for a year if you qualify.

They also have a program that helps if your insurance "under-covers" your meds, i.e. the copay is too high.

Hope that helps.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont know the cost of my Zith, but Mepron costs $1500 a month for myself...

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Cag-

Contact-- Bridges to Access --
you dont have to be completely broke
to qualify --

Fill the forms out Carefully --
If you down load form from Online
Make SURE the numbers on top of form match --

Your doctor has to write 2 prescriptions
for the Mepron --

one for 3 months --one for 9 months--

your doctor also HAS to make ONE phone
call to Bridges to Access -
takes less than 5 minutes -

Make sure your doctor writes your script
for as High a dose as you could possibly
take--

Its Very hard to increase dose once
you are signed up with Bridges -- Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mepron, et al were starting to bankrupt me last year so I switched insurance companies and my new insurance coverage is much better. After my deductible is met ($2400, which I'd meet in practically 1 month) my co-pay is only $25. I really wasn't sure if it was going to pass on Mepron, but they didn't and this month I got two bottles for $25. I could hardly believe it.

My insurance is Anthem Blue Cross. I never liked Blue Cross that much in the past, but this plan is like an answer to my prayers. Last year I was spending over $1800/mo on Mepron alone. There are a few things they wouldn't cover, like 60 pills of Zithromax/month (they'd only cover 30 pills), but I am so relieved and grateful for this.

I got my insurance through a professional group I belong to, and had to join during their open enrollment period, which comes just once/year I think. Otherwise my pre-existing conditions would prevent my getting insurance with most companies.

Patti

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anthem Blue Cross is my insurance too and so far, they have covered everything conventional without a fuss.

I do consistently get possitive bloodtests and that may be why. No redtape with them either.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, you can get well at ANY point in time. I did!! See my reply to you in General Support also.

Did you check out the first link on this forum?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....some of us have substituted the cheap anti-infective Bactrim for Mepron with good results....
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just my opinion, but I"d treat Lyme for a while first if possible before gambling on only a limited supply of Mepron. I think I read something in the LYmemd.blogspot.com blog about that as well, though I might be misremembering.

I did get a lot better with only 4 1/5 months of Mepron though. I did a few months of antibiotics first though they didn't seem to be working/. This was a reinfection.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement