LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Having My Port Put In Today!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Having My Port Put In Today!
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The big day has finally arrived and I have to admit I'm a little nervous. However, I'm also feeling relieved because it means I will be able to finally begin treatment. [Big Grin]

The hospital has me on stand-by and said the surgery will probably be later this afternoon.
Thanks to everyone who has responded to all my questions concerning the ports and the procedure!!

--------------------
My comments on this site are not intended to be taken as medical advice as I'm not a physician.

Posts: 206 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck! I hope all goes smoothly for you =)

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the support Ocean!

--------------------
My comments on this site are not intended to be taken as medical advice as I'm not a physician.

Posts: 206 | From Georgia | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good luck ugagal. We will look forward to hearing an update after you are out of surgery.

I've had my port since July and you really do get use to it in time.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good Luck Ugagal,

I hope that this brings you far along the road to good health.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking of you Ugagal!! Hope it goes really easy.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Best Wishes!

May everything go smooth for you today.

Give us an update when you're able.

Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hope everything went well!

Please let us know, when you're able.

Viva

Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope all went well for you today. God bless you, Amy
Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how did you survive? hope all went well for you...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugagal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

The port procedure went very smoothly and I was only in surgery for about an hour. The surgeon said it is placed a little further under the skin than most due to my extra body weight. (I asked him if he was calling me fat.) [lol]

I was pretty exhausted when I got home last night and went straight to bed and I'm a little sore this morning. Thanks to everyone for the support....it means so much to me!

--------------------

njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so glad to hear that all went well for you
best wishes

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh good, that is nice to hear you are doing so well =)

Ah... don't worry about what the surgeon says, being skinny is waaaay over rated! I feel crappy when Lyme gets me that way..been feeling WAY better anxiety wise since I've put some weight on =)

Rest today, drink your fluids to get the sedation meds out of your body.

Take care,

Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ugagal,

I'm glad that you made it through the surgery. Get that rest since it really is healing.

When do you start your infusions?

Cathy

--------------------

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ugagal:

The surgeon said it is placed a little further under the skin than most due to my extra body weight. (I asked him if he was calling me fat.) [lol] /QUOTE]

uga, that was hilarious !! [Big Grin] [lol]

when they say that to them, use my original expression...

on windy days, i don't blow away!!

glad it went well for you.

that was so true here a couple days ago; i always wear a hat due to LIGHT ISSUES; had to chase my hat 3 times down the sidewalk! it was getting more mileage than me [Smile] [lol]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

Ocean- You may think being skinny is over rated but I wouldn't mind trying it for a day or two! Thanks for the words of encouragement.

TDTID- I'm definitely taking it easy today....have pretty much been napping most of the afternoon. My first infusion will be on Saturday....any advice?

Betty- The nurses in the recovery area thought that was funny also. They said the surgeon looked puzzled and seemed speechless and that was a first for him!! I know exactly what you mean about not blowing away on a windy day....I've added about 50 pounds of "Lyme blubber" since becoming sick. (I'm often afraid others will see me and wonder why a walrus is using a walker [Eek!] )

--------------------

tdtid
Member # 10276

ugagal,

Did they leave the needle accessed or will it need to be reaccessed again on Saturday?

No real advice, but there are prescription numbing type creams that help for accessing the port if it will make it a little easier.

Good luck to you and keep us posted.

Cathy

--------------------

ugagal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18471

tdtid,

They did not leave the needle accessed. I asked my surgeon about the numbing cream and as it turns out I can't use it because I'm allergic to lidocaine, which is one of the main ingredients.
They always have to use marcaine instead of lidocaine on me. Guess I will just have to grin and bear it.

--------------------

hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your physician could order a marcaine based numbing cream. Just ask for it. A pharmacy can specially compound a numbing cream for you.
Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

...or use ice to numb the site before access.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement