LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » QUEST LAB??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: QUEST LAB??
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my first WB done by Quest. It came back NEG. Although it did show REACTIVE bands at IGG 30 and IGG 41. What does this mean? I'm new to all of this and don't really understand. Does this mean I've been exposed?

Many have told me not to trust Quest labs that they show MANY false NEG. I know someone who tested Neg on Quest with NO reactive bands and went on to test CDC positive with Igenenx.

Is Quest really that bad? Anyone else share their Quest results and experiences?

Thanks.

--------------------
IgeneX IGG POS 30+ 31++++ 41++
IGM 30+ 31+++ 34IND 41IND 83-93IND
Quest NEG IGG 30 and 41 only

Posts: 538 | From Everywhere | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was lucky that Quest found IgM band 23 on me.

That is all they found.

Enough to get me diagnosed by a local duck,

But I will always wonder......

I wish I had known about this site and Igenex before

I had my Western Blot done.

Plus Quest tried to bill me for months for monies

Not paid to them due to contract with my insurance.

I didn't owe it, but it didn't stop them from putting me in Collections.

My insurance said Quest often did that and that some people paid.

I would never use them again.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they are that bad.

Igenex tests for 14 IgG and 14 IgM bands. Other labs test for 10 IgG bands and only 3 IgM bands.

Those other labs leave out some of the most important species specific bands.

Igenex included many species of borrelia bacteria when they developed their testing methods.

Other labs only included a few species.

There are at least 100 species of borrelia in the US alone, and 300 worldwide.

A lab won't be able to detect antibodies to a species not included in the testing.

Testing is not foolproof, but Igenex is the best.

Order a western blot IgG and IgM, test #188 and #189....cost $200. www.igenex.com

Lyme is a clinical diagnosis based on history and symptoms, and can be supported by labwork.

Lyme is never, never ruled out based just on a lab test.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John S
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19756

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See Dr. C's western blot explanation in the posts above.
Posts: 743 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you say Igenix tests for 'many species', I truly hope it's ONLY the ones known to cause harm/symptoms to humans!! Can someone please verify? I recall Marnie saying 100+ strains of Bb exist. That would make a lot of meaningless positives if more than te four identified strains are included, right?
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
When you say Igenix tests for 'many species', I truly hope it's ONLY the ones known to cause harm/symptoms to humans!! Can someone please verify? I recall Marnie saying 100+ strains of Bb exist. That would make a lot of meaningless positives if more than te four identified strains are included, right?

As far as I am aware:

Igenex tests for TWO species (Bb 31 and Bb 297), both proven to cause human disease.

Other labs test for ONE (Bb 31) only.

This information is available on Igenex's site btw. A simple Google with the terms "Igenex" and "strains" pulled that result to the top:

"In addition, instead of using just one strain of bacteria, two strains (B 31 and 297) are used to make IGeneX Western Blot strips."

From "The IGeneX Western Blot: Better by Design":
http://www.igenex.com/innovations3.htm

Here is a site which lists all species and strains of the organism - with citations. Not sure how updated it is. There may be newer strains since.

http://www.pasteur.fr/recherche/borrelia/Borreliaspecies.html

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John S:
See Dr. C's western blot explanation in the posts above.

This is very good advice - it will explain to you what your results mean, how Lyme antibodies work, and how the WB test is designed and conducted. I will link it here for you - it can be difficult to find amidst all the stickied threads:

"Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation"

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/42077

The gold standard for this test is the Igenex Western Blot - their lab is a reference lab. This link again should help you understand *some* of the differences that make their lab and their testing better:

"The IGeneX Western Blot: Better by Design"

http://www.igenex.com/innovations3.htm

[ 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM: Message edited by: nenet ]

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would get it checked out at Igenex. Something is definately up.

I was lucky and came back with 7/10 of them at Quest as you can see all the way at the bottom.

Good Luck!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about strains from Europe? Would that show on the IGenex tests? I lived in Spain for 3 years with A LOT of ticks. Wouldn't that be a different species????

--------------------
IgeneX IGG POS 30+ 31++++ 41++
IGM 30+ 31+++ 34IND 41IND 83-93IND
Quest NEG IGG 30 and 41 only

Posts: 538 | From Everywhere | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Quest is pretty bad for Lyme and commpany testing.

That's why my LLMD almost fell over when my Ehrlichia test actually came back positive on the Quest test!

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nyjohn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nyjohn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quest is like getting your bloodwork done at kmart

quest was "not positive enough to warrant treatment" for me for months till i was so sick.

then, finally quest came up positive.
that was when i told the idsa doc who didn't treat me prior to go shove it.

right after that, i saw an llmd who said " you are even positive on a quest lab!"

i tested pos for bb, rmsf, babs, myco p

--------------------
do your best to educate the rest because
9 out of 10 doctors don't know jack about tick borne illnesses

Posts: 437 | From shawangunk mountains, ny | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man I went to "walmart", got lucky and saved money!!!

I must have it real bad for everything to be all positive through Quest!

or as nyjohn called it Walmart.

Whats wrong with Walmart??

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually there are over 300+ strains of bb world wide.

Not all are aggressive or cause the issues most of us have.

I think Quest actually uses the European strain if I remember correctly.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by nenet:

"Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation"
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/42077

Print it out and read it several times!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found Quest to be "ehh, O..K" when I was tested.
My LLMD had me retested at IgeneX exactly a month later. Results? As if you'd turned up the contrast & brightness on the [former] Quest Western bolt results (especially dramatic when comparing the "IgG" results side-by-side).

I was CDC+ even w/ Quest (IgG) so it wasn't an issue of marginal results... just that one can get atleast 4 levels of indication for each band w/ IgeneX. And more bands to boot, including Lyme-specific bands! So why settle for Quest??

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawnee
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Quest is really that bad. My daughter came back neg. on every single band from Quest. Two other labs came back CDC positive with multiple bands present.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious, Dawnee... Was that all-negative Quest WB result of your daughter's an IgM or an IgG panel?
I know they were having sensitivity "issues" with the IgM for a while.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Quest is bad, but in my case I got lucky.....

If it ain't broke, don't fix it right???

If someone strongly feels that they have Lyme and come back negative through Quest then try Igenex.

I feel that Lyme should be treated on a clinical diagnosis if the blood test fails.

The testing for Lyme just isn't there yet....

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Wow, Kreynolds, Thats' the Exact Same set of + bands that I showed on MY Quest IgG!!(Nov 2005)

Have you been on hi-level amoxy & Prob?(& fluc)
I made Great strides on that protocol, though I didn't have to deal w/ the co-s like U. :/

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
someone new pmed me yesterday stating she was going to test now with QUEST....no, have tick tested; i referred her only to igenex.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

'kete-tracker:

You name it, I've been on it. I was considering getting my blood done through Igenex, although my disease is the result of a WC case.

I also had a + Spinal Tap and a Moderate-Severe SPECT scan.

Now I find out that the Lyme has damaged my brain real bad and my Pituitary Gland is shot so now I have Addisons Disease from the Lyme as well.

GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement