LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Florinef

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Florinef
Capa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18930

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Capa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cardiologist put me on a small does of Florinef (a corticosteroid) for Dysautonomia to raise my BP and heart rate.

I was wondering if small doses of corticosteroids are safe for those of us with Lyme? I was dx'd with Lyme, Babs, and Ehrlichiosis nearly 11 years ago.

[ 05-12-2009, 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Capa ]

--------------------
Lisa D

Posts: 103 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I am bumping this to find out if anyone has suggestions I also wanted to clarify that I am asking as I have heard that corticosteroids can be detrimental to us Lymies as the are immune suppressants.

--------------------
Lisa D

Posts: 103 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Normally, corticosteroids are not safe for lyme patients.

However, I do think I've seen posts by some here who are on low dose of Florinef (for NMH drops in blood pressure) and some are on low dose of Cortef (for adrenals).

The difference can be, partly, if the Rx is making up for the lack of natural hormones in the body - just enough to bring the body back into balance so that it does not need to work so hard.

I don't have an exact answer for you, but (if you are already taking this) I think you can breath easy if it is low dose and you are not feeling like you got shot full of caffeine.

If you have not yet started the Rx, I'd wait for the answer to this. But, oh, wait!

Do you have an LLMD? Or an appointment scheduled? As your LLMD. That is preferable.

Otherwise, hopefully, someone will come along with the exact answer soon.

It is good that you ask.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

You might get more specific replies if you edit your headline to include the word "Florinef"

I just took a look at Singleton's "The Lyme Disease Solution" - I could find no listing in a logical place in the index that addresses Florinef or NMH.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any steroid is likely to reduce your immune response. Florinef did so for me. However, florinef seems to induce less immune supression than other steroids. IMO, for lymies all steroids are last resort, and to be used only when excess inflammation is producing a dangerous situation.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I would not worry about taking Florinef for POTS/dysautonomia.

My daughter (in treatment for LD) has been on it for over 2 years, prior to her lyme dx. It has helped her a great deal ... much less dizziness/lightheadedness, higher, more stabilized BP.

Two highly esteemed LLMDs have not had any problems with her taking it, and she's on a lot of meds/supplements.

Posts: 214 | From where ticks flourish | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've taken both florinef and cortef.

I've never noted any bigger issues other than improvement

For my POTs and NMH on them both.

I have cut my dose as treatment progresses and other

Systems such as autonomic system seems to be coming back on line.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Capa   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for these replies! For those on Florinef; have you experienced any side effects?

--------------------
Lisa D

cactus
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take low dose florinef and cortef, too.

Rx'd by my LLMD.

Great improvements on both.

If your body is not producing any corticosteroids at all, then it's necessary for you to supplement some so that you can heal.

The trick is to supplement only the amount your body would be producing, a physiological dose.

No side effects - only massive improvements.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18930

What type of testing is used to determine whether or not corticosteroids are being produced by the body?

I did have adrenal testing and everything came back normal. I was put on Florinef due to symptoms (dizziness, low BP/heart rate) and after fainting during the tilt table test.

Thanks!

--------------------
Lisa D

mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my side effect is that I do not have to get up to pee overnight!! [Big Grin]
Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18930

quote:
Originally posted by mjbucuk:
my side effect is that I do not have to get up to pee overnight!! [Big Grin]

Sounds good to me!! So far I haven't had this benefit but maybe once I am on a higher dose I will. [Smile]

Did you experience any weight gain?

--------------------
Lisa D

Lymepool
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymepool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florinef really helped my kid's POTS; takes it along with midodrine. The former causes the body to retain some fluid, which lifts the blood pressure. This is a good thing, as it keeps the bp from dropping when you stand up. (The ability to stand and walk is dependent on "hydraulics".)

Retaining fluid means weight should go up. (I think water weighs 8 pounds per gallon.) So a few pounds of weight gain probably means it is working.

It may take a few rounds with the cardiologist to work out the best dosage for you. The pediatric cardiologist added midodrine rather than increasing florinef, because corticosteroids can suppress the immune system. So most docs do use them in moderation.

My adolescent has had these medications for a year and they don't seem to have held her back in the babs therapy.

Hope you feel better soon. Fainting is a scarry thing.

Lymepool

Posts: 170 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18930

Thank you for this information Lymepool! I really like the idea of using the Midodrine instead of increasing the dose of Florinef. This is something I may bring up to the cardiologist at my next appointment.

I truly appreciate all of your help.

--------------------
Lisa D

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even Dr. B said, when I asked him, that taking Florinef HELPS Lyme patients who need it. For me, it makes the difference between being able to be upright or not! And Florinef isn't a corticosteroid, it's a mineral steroid (helps the body retain sodium, thereby increasing BP). I wouldn't be afraid of it. It's a lot better than passing out.

Even Cortef, when needed, at physiological doses, helps rather than hinders Lyme treatment.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymepool
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15827

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymepool     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Capa,

There are quite a few drugs the cardiologist could use. It really depends on your personal combination of symptoms. Rumigirl is right that the passing out thing has really got to be controlled. That falls into the category of "imminent threat" to your health.

My kid had a real issue with the tachycardia and doc considered atenolol at first. But the first trial with florinef, plus heavy salt/fluid consumption worked pretty well and topping it all off with midodrine stabilized everything.

Both corticosteroids and mineral steroids are substitutes for aldosterone in the body. Aldosterone acts on the kidneys to maintain the potassium/sodium/water levels in the body. Did the cardio recommend a change in salt or fluid in your diet?

Lymepool

Posts: 170 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Florinef indicated for Hyperadrenergic POTS ? My BP goes up when I stand. Not to crazy numbers, but I'm like 115/70 sitting and when up, I'm like 135/90.

My Cardio just put me on Florinef, and I'm scared to death to take it.

I do have tachycardia while standing, but my HR is like 80's sitting and only 120 standing.

I had a pos. tilt table test about 2 mos. ago. I was having drops in BP during the test, but it has since changed to Hyperadrenergic. I don't think my doc. gets it.

It has changed while treating the Lyme. My private disability insurance requires me to follow the Dr.'s advice, so I at least have to fill it.

BTW, I'm on Inderal LA 60mg (Beta Blocker) and that is keeping the Tachycardia somewhat in check.

Will Florinef bring any benefit by taking it with my symptoms ?

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18930

My cardiologist did suggest that I increase salt intake. I am already drinking too MUCH water so he said just to continue as I am doing.

So far I do think that the Florinef has helped a bit. I gained 2-3 lbs the first week; hopefully this will stabilize!

--------------------
Lisa D

joey20021714
Member # 20113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joey20021714     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Dysautonomia also and have taken Florinef and Midodrine.

They aren't recommended for Hyperadrenergic POTS, but can really help other types of Dysautonomia by raising your BP.

The best meds for Hyperadrenergic POTS are typically Beta Blockers, Klonopin, Clonidine, and SSRI's.

Hope this helps!!! : )

Posts: 16 | From connecticut | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Florinef is NOT a steroid the way you are thinking. It does not act like a corticosteroid like Cortisol. It's job is to act on the kidneys to help your body maintain a greater blood volume, thus, increasing blood pressure. If you have both types of NMH/POTS then you probably need a beta-blocker plus Florinef. I took Florinef for 2 years under the care of my LLMD and it was nothing but good!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Capa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18930

Thank you so much for the replies, this is excellent, and promising news!

--------------------
Lisa D

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement