LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » interpreting babs test results

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: interpreting babs test results
Saskat
Member # 20273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saskat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some babesia test results and am interested in hearing what others think about them.

Igenex FISH = negative. I am not exactly sure what this test is. Does this test only test for microti?

Quest babesia duncani: 1:512

If you have that high of a titer, does that necessarily mean babs?

Thank you-

Posts: 55 | From US | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone know?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the test was measuring antibody titers, then you have Babesia duncani, per the Quest test. Igenex tests for Babesia microti.

I just received my test back from Igenex and was positive only on the IFA (both Lyme and Babs, was negative on the WB), but on the report, it says that a titer of 1:160-1:640 "suggests an infection of unknown duration".

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems like you have at the least been exposed to babesia duncani, and could have it active now, but exposed at the least.

That IS really interesting that it didn't show up in your FISH. From my understanding duncani can show up on the Igenex FISH, but I don't know if it always does.

I had a positive duncani titer from Sonoma County Public Health lab (1:512) and in the past have had positive Igenex FISH, at least one, maybe two, can't remember. I don't think my FISH was ever negative. And that was back when the assumption was that it only caught microti.

I guess it is possible I have both microti and duncani because I have had multiple bites, but I dunno, maybe I just have one and one of the tests is cross-reacting with the other species.

Are you having symptoms of babesia? What are your worst symptoms?

I would ask an LLMD if he/she thinks your babesia symptoms merit treatment, and go by that.

Or, if you are just not getting better, treat the babesia no matter what your symptoms.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nexis
Member # 19780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nexis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The FISH test is similar to a "Blood Smear" investigation for the Babesia.

I know it is not 100 percent perfect, yet is still considered reliable testing; so it may be that the this time around, the FISH could not detect any RNA of the Babesia yet could so by a second testing.

Posts: 24 | From JAPAN | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Saskat
Member # 20273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saskat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, everyone.

Good info re the FISH. I called Igenex and they said it only tests for microti, but the person who answered the question also admitted they really weren't the one w/ the most knowledge in that regard.

We toyed w/ the idea of repeating the FISH but decided just to repeat the Quest test.

I can't really tell if I have babs symptoms.

I have bouts of nausea and stabbing gi pain that come and go. Came in July/August, November, January, April. I can't pinpoint a pattern.

Last July I felt breathless twice.

Sometimes it feels like my heart skips a beat....maybe once every few months.

No fevers, chills, sweats, though.

My dr wants to treat babs. My understanding is that you go after babs first so that you can go after the others, so, from that perspective, you go for babs.

If it's there, but dormant, I hate to stir the waters.

It's a tough call. Thanks, everyone!

Posts: 55 | From US | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
personally, I think you should do what your Dr recommends here. I went through a long period where I wasn't treated for Babs because I didn't test positive. However, I kept "relapsing" whenever it seemed I was making headway for Lyme. Finally we started treating Babs aggressively, plus Lyme, and now I'm really making headway.

I hate to see you waste all that extra time in frustration, if you can avoid it.

Patti

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement