LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Magnesium strengthening the biofilm?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Magnesium strengthening the biofilm?
squashlyme
Member # 12865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for squashlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read this in PJ Langhoff's new book, which is excellent by the way. Has anyone ever heard that taking Magnesium will strengthen the biofilm? I know a lot of us supplement with it, do you think it could contribute to our chronic illness?
Posts: 48 | From nj | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. I haven't heard that. I tried oral magnesium last year for about 6 months, sometimes sporatically, sometimes I did it 5 times week. It made my heart crazy. I do epsom salt baths and eat a lot of greens/sunflower seeds. That doesn't seem to bother my heart.

I hope that the mag doesn't strengthen the biofilms. Is the thinking because the spirochete uses the mg to strengthen them?

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bears1985
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bears1985     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Magnesium, Iron and Calcium contribute to biofilm formation.
Posts: 136 | From Arizona | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where's the Marnster when you need her? [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

There are MANY other ways to break through the biofilm. Alllicin is one of those. Specifics enzymes are another (Wobenzyme, nanokinaise and lu . . .something . . .)

As I understand it, Marnie posts that we need magnesium for our cells and that there are other ways to combat lyme.

It is a very important consideration that by trying to starve Bb by with-holding magnesium, our bodies can suffer much damage.

Here is a recent post by Marnie on how magnesium is key to treatment:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/80718#000001

Topic: How did they CURE lyme in Romania

==========

You can clink onto Marnie's name at the above link and search her previous threads.

============================

Dr. B. says that magnesium is REQUIRED. See page 2:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<I read this in PJ Langhoff's new book, which is excellent by the way. Has anyone ever heard that taking Magnesium will strengthen the biofilm? I know a lot of us supplement with it, do you think it could contribute to our chronic illness? >

I laugh when I read this. When I first came on Lymenet three years ago, I went against the flow stating this. My daughter's LLMD STRONGLY believes this. He said everyone is mag deficient, but as the biofilm is broken down, it releases magnesium back into the blood stream.

My daughter had to sweat out all the magnesium we pumped into her with epsom salt soaks.

Marnie will be along shortly to post something about this, I'm sure.

But, if all it took was supplementing with magnesium, wouldn't we all be well by now?

Last month, I asked our LLMD if my daughter needed magnesium since we have avoided supplementing for three years, and she has back muscle pain.

He said, "go ahead".

We chose to use an infrared heating pad and bolouke enzymes instead. I think after a month, my daughter's pain went down from a six to a three.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys--

Please be careful about withholding magnesium. It is so vitally important to so many functions within our body....especially ATP (energy) mitochondrial function. I was very low in magnesium and my muscles became severely tight and my eyesight even started to become impacted. Through IM magnesium and IVs, I greatly improved my fatigue and stamina. It also helped my heart to beat regularly again. (yes, when I first started it,I felt worse....like with everything with this disease, I think the toxins become mobilized when you start impacting mitochondrial activity)....

As an aside, researchers have found that those who are low in magnesium will also be low in glutathione, an antioxidant which is essential to detoxification and cellular energy....

Finally, just fyi, Kelmo please note that epsom salt is magnesium sulphate...People often soak in this to absorb magnesium through their skin....

Take care and healing wishes to all....

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blaze
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is interesting...

http://www.westallisnow.com/userstoriessubmitted/40808987.html

...A few studies that have measured the biological effects of microwave radio emissions from cell phone towers find that they increase free radicals and oxidative stress, lower glutathione (GSH) and lower cortisol levels.

Photographs of red blood cells exposed to cell phone signals show red blood cell aggregation, an abnormal condition. The distorted red blood cells impair oxygen delivery and the removal of CO2 and this alone has vast consequences for cardiovascular health.

Currently, there are no investigations on the effects of cell phone signals on impairing the body's immune response against viral, fungal and bacterial infections while empirical evidence grows that cell phone radiation may be degrading and impairing the immune system of millions of people worldwide.

From the common cold to the flu, infections are lasting much longer than they use to from 10 days to several weeks or even months. Microwave radiation weakens the integrity of cell membranes and accelerates the aging process. Millions of people exposed 24/7 to microwave radiation from cell phone towers are being slowly cooked. The long term damage may be irreversible.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scary!

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
squash,

what Gave you the idea Mg might "strengthen" a biofilm aorund a BB 'kete colony?
Biofilms are made of proteins which, yes, contain some elemental Mg but I don't see any mechanism to "strengthen" it relying on "available" Mg++ ions.

Did Ms Langhoff mention such a hypothesis in the latest book? (The '...Lunatic Fringe' one, yes?)

What study or studies is it based on...& by Who? [as she's only a researcher]

BTW, Not to knock her, but does she have any Real medical credentials? I've combed through her background via various biographies out there & see No formal medical training, though she has "studied medical terminology, worked in the medical field and in homebound geriatric care", according to`1 bio.

BTW, Dr D (in Mass) believes in NOT using any supplements, either vitamin OR mineral.
Just a good, balanced diet apropriate for abx use. He feels supplements help the 'ketes out!
WHAT TO DO?

I just wish the new IDSA panel would hurry up & agree the current Lyme guidelines need changing, so that more research is stimulated [into what abx AND supps- and dosages- ARE appropriate]!

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conventional docs will NEVER EVER recommend supplements.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhh... But 'Dr. D' is a famous LLMD near Boston
(in UOS: "We never even got to Talk about chronic Lyme..." He was on the old panel.)
HE follows many of the ILADS recommends.
Just not [most of] the supps, esp the B vitamins.
Thinks they support BB growth.

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mandy614
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mandy614     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,

Does eating raw garlic suffice in breaking down biofilm or must you have the pill form in allicin?

Thxs
mandy

Posts: 348 | From maryland | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not Keebler...but...
I think raw garlic will work the same as allicin as long as you crush it and eat it right away.

hoot

Posts: 236 | From Illinois | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
squashlyme
Member # 12865

Icon 1 posted      Profile for squashlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She says that some researchers state that the biofilms seem to grow stronger and more resistant to antibiotics in the presence of increased levels of magnesium. And that it is a concept worth looking into....a delicate balance. But, indeed, something to think about.

Yes, the book is the one with the superlong title, The Baker's Dozen & The Lunatic Fringe...Has Junk Science Shifted the Lyme Disease Paradigm?

Posts: 48 | From nj | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Thanx. I'll have to check it out. Is it in B & N?
Any on-line page previews?

Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The biochemical changes show the improvement in lecithin/cholesterol ratio,

the decrease-particularly in β-lipoproteins-and in *plasmin inhibition* produced by the magnesium therapy."

http://www.mgwater.com/Seelig/Magnesium-Deficiency-in-the-Pathogenesis-of-Disease/chapter5.shtml

Bb binds to our plasminogen which converts to plasmin by an abundant enzyme.

The "biofilm" maybe plasmin used in "quorum sensing" (chemical "communication" between Bb and its offspring).

We have a hard time dealing with Bb's OspB because OUR ANTIBODIES are damaged.

Mg restored them.

Documented - Pubmed.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie

What do you know about Slime Mold ??

Also.
Isn't there a big difference between biofilm around a certain organism as opposed to the film that is in the blood where colonies of organisms make a home for themselves?

I hear people use the word biofilm for many things while describing things and I get confused.

I just know you can help me out.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard rumblings of the claim(s) against Mg, but I have to say that I wouldn't sacrifice it because of this reason. As one poster said, there are other ways of dealing with biofilms.

I can tell you that at the very beginning of my dx and tx with Lyme, the Mg was a BIG help in putting a stop to much of the twitching and myoclonus. Right now, I'm scrubbing with clay and psyllium for biofilms AND using transdermal MgCl + H2O daily, at half the recommended dose, (as I'm not as Mg deficient now).

There's no doubt that anyone and everyone can take too much of anything, supps, abx, whatever, but I'm with Marnie's camp on this one. Keeping a " correct balance " of Mg and others is important. IMHO

ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement