LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Wondering how many others suffer lower back pain..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wondering how many others suffer lower back pain..
Fran_40
Member # 20176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fran_40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi to all...

About a year ago, I have been experiencing

chronic lower back pain. My Dr. said that losing

weight could help this, although I know excercise

does help, I am too tired to do it. The pain is

right in the middle of my lower back, and I am

thinking it is also affecting the sciatic nerve,

causing numbness in both legs at times. Switching

from side to side. My question here is that I

really want to know how many others infected with

Lyme have experienced this? or is it just some-

thing totally unrelated? Thanks for replies.

Fran

Posts: 72 | From South Jersey | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janis1023
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janis1023     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Count me in. Of all the aches and pains, this one prevents me from doing my favorite thing, gardening.

i did have a CT exam that showed a cyst on the joint at right hip, but it aches all the way across the back below the waist.

I feel it is Lyme, autoimmune related.

Jan

--------------------
3 Strains Mycoplasma and Chlymedia 2001.
After treatment fine for all 2004.
Major symptoms since 2005.
Diag Aug 2008 Lyme.
400 mg/d doxy
500 2/d Ceftin

Posts: 164 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had lower back aches for many months after the onset of my problems...

I think it's probably a lyme thing. It eventually disappeared for me.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran_40
Member # 20176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fran_40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok. Thanks so much for your replies, I am having

pain every day now. I take ibuprofen almost daily

to take away pain. I can't even get comfortable

sleeping, it wakes me up until I have to get out

of bed, to take more meds. I am experiencing all

over body aches, and arthritis pain here and

there. Once I get treatment will some of these

things subside? Looking for more replies.

Thanks!!

Posts: 72 | From South Jersey | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, for 35 yrs. plus!!

have you had an osteoporosis test done? please do....

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter's last nagging symptom. She gained and lost 90 pounds over the course of her illness. Losing weight didn't help.

She is taking an enzyme to help the abx get to that area better. Seems to be easing up a bit.

If she got rid of that pain...she could dance.

CarolPA recommended a Thermotex infrared heating pad. It's pricey, but it has a 30 money back guarantee.

I'd say within two weeks, my daughter started getting relief. My husband used it on his injured knee and said it was hands down better than a regular heating pad.

That and the infrared sauna are two of the best purchases made in giving comfort, and moving treatment along.

You can find it on Amazon..we got the Platininum three panel. Don't pay more than $215.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh man, me too. and doing 11 doors, leaning over staining and sanding has not helped a bit.

i can barely get off the sofa.

i had mri done and it shows "moderate" bulges throughout the lower back, all L-2 down. sometimes i walk like i'm 90 and even turning over in bed is painful.

nothing seems to help although i try to use a topical rub or something.

sure wish i had painkillers, but all i have is alleve.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing that helps me with this is chiropractic treatments. I couldn't live without them.

sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lower back and hip pain were one of my complaints too.

Since starting treatment and seeing a chiropractor regularly, my pain has improved greatly.

My lower back hardly ever hurts now, although I still get a lot of hip pain on accasion.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickalert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickalert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chiropractic, physical therapy, and Pilates have made my low back a lot better.
Posts: 911 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find a good Chiropractor. Ask around, try a couple, find one that you like. Just like MD's, there are good ones and bad ones so you have to find the one that works for you.

I love my Chiropractor. He always makes sure that my whole spine is aligned. He doesn't adjust only the spot that hurts the worst at that time, he makes sure that all is right before I leave. He's also hands on, i don't like the activator, it isn't as effective for me. Always makes me feel better.

When you start out you may have to go a couple times per week but as you get better you will only need to go about every month or so for maintenance.

I've also heard that acupuncture can be very effective in relieving lower back pain.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used a Thermotex farinfrared pad, positioning it so that I could lie on it in bed, with a pillow under my knees for comfort.

My low back pain was awful, but using the pad for an hour helped.
You warm it up on high for 15 minutes, then switch it to low.
It can't burn your skin.

The blood vessels in the area relax, bringing more oxygen and nutrients to speed healing.

I used the pad for an hour or two every day when I got it, and after several weeks, my back seemed to be improving.
After about six weeks, I didn't need it every day.
After two or three months, I forgot to use it, because my back didn't hurt.

You can google for information and reviews.
The pad comes with one, two, or three panels.
The three panel version is the Platinum, which is large enough to cover the low back, and can be bent around an arm or leg.

When I first bought this, I read that physical therapy clinics were offering this, but being able to do it at home, at my convenience, was wonderful.

Google to find vendors.
Some places charge alot for shipping, which is a ripoff.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had significant lower back pain about four years ago, long before I was diagnosed with Lyme.

I went to a Chiropractor, but that wasn't helpful. After a year or so the pain shifted to my upper back, neck, and shoulder.

I found another Chiropractor and went once or twice a week for about two and a half years. That did not help either.

Eventually I was diagnosed with Lyme and cos. and I realized the back pain had been a symptom of the disease all along. Ironically since I have been on abx. I have barely noticed any back pain at all.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exercise will probably make it better. How about some walking? Build up slowly.

I have sciatic nerve pain, due to arthritis in L5 and S1.

Try also .. Jarrow Formulas Glucosamine and Chrondoitin plus MSM.. Very cheap and found at www.vitacost.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellyb2411
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyb2411     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get it and it got much worse when I was herxing from rifampicin.

--------------------
Sx Start Jan 08 (test neg, but herxing)Susp Lyme, Bart + Babs??

ABX
Doxy 400mg + Amox 1g Jun - Sep 08
Rifampin 600mg + Biaxin 1000mg
Tinidazole 1000mg/day - Sep 08 to June 08

Currently taking Salt/C 15g (himalayan salt)

85-90% better

Posts: 231 | From Australia | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran_40
Member # 20176

Wow..thanks for all the replies! I am in the

beginning stages of treatment, I still am in the

process of getting to an LLMD, after being

diagnosed in 7-2001. Had positive Elisa test for

Lyme and a Western Blot + band 23 Igm, no other

bands have shown up on that test, was given

2 weeks of doxycyline, so my chart says, but I

do not remember this treatment at all. I only

remember being given prednisone, but since it was

so long ago, who knows. I now know that I am in

the later stages of Lymes, and my GP never had me

retest for the disease nor referred me to anyone

else to be treated. Was always labled(depressed)

(anxious). Anyways, I am getting off of topic

but just am happy I found this place, and hoping

I will find relief very soon! Thanks so much!

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The forum is very helpful, Fran. I wish you the best in finding a LLMD. How much prednisone did you get early on? That probably made you worse. I think that was the case for me after I had mono. The GP gave me prednisone and turned a spark into a bonfire...

While many on the board use low dose cortisol (Cortef) for adrenal support, the synthetic prednisone is much more powerful and it is thought that using it in the presence of lyme ends up making things much worse....

Good luck with the back pain. Like I said, mine went away but it took many months. I'm still far from whole again though...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Fran,

I have had lower back pains since I was a teenager.

Here are some of the things I've found that worked:

1) get an X-Ray of your legs. If one is shorter than the other, no matter what else you do, your back is going to hurt unless you wear a heel pad or get orthopedic shoes. Wish I had known about this at 12 years old!!!

2) The best treatments I've found for herniated or degenerated discs is VAX-D (a traction treatment done in a medical office that gets the discs to plump up and/or go into place).

3) Following (or sometimes along with VAX-D), PROLOTHERAPY is fantastic! It gets the ligaments to heal up and support your back.

4) An inversion table is GREAT for home therapy. You can control how long you're on it, how much tension you put on the lower back, etc. You can find them on EBay, etc., for less than retail.

5) Chiropractic treatment is also useful. Many times I would have rolled up in a ball and wanted to end it all without it. However, it can miss the actual situation (like one leg longer than the other), so it can become symptomatic relief only.

I wore a back brace off and on--that helped when things got really, really bad.

Doing HEAT if you have herniated discs is not a good idea--they get worse. COLD works best for them. So, getting good X-Rays that show what is actually going on is important.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

i started going to a chiropractor 1 month ago; once/wk.

he has a DRAW table; when he pushed on the affected parts, the table will drop DOWN my body which makes it tolerable for me vs. knocking the wind out of me every maneuver he does on me.

my extreme right edge of my back is so painful due to lyme; he manipulates it and uses electric roller it, pain goes away for a little while but back at bed time ...very painful to try to roll over either way.

DeniseNM
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeniseNM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow - I had no idea this could be Lyme-related, thought it was just the big belly I grew because I couldn't exercise! My lower back, and esp. right glut/leg (sciatic nerve?) have been bothering me horribly the last couple of months - and I just had a flare up.

My chiro is out of town or I would have been running into his office. It does help a lot. It gets to the point where I can't stand up to cook, do dishes, feed my dogs, whatever. OUCH!

The confirmed Lyme diagnosis just happened, I'm waiting for my LLMD to call in my ABX prescriptions so I can start killing the little boogers!

Thanks to you all for your suggestions for Fran_40, I think some of them will help me, too.

--------------------
dx: MS in 1998
2007 - Lyme suspected
2009 - Positive Lyme, MS worse. Now: Copaxone shots for MS
gall bladder out 7/09
Ceftin, Zith, Septra
LDN
Acyclovir
Monolaurin, DHEA, Pregnonelon, Curcumin

Posts: 243 | From New Mexico | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rambler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rambler   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, me too. I've had a back ache since I was 11 (I'm 45). Chiro, accupuncture, massage, heat, ice, Ibu, movement, drugs, alcohol... I've tried them all.

The only thing that makes a difference is TIME. All of those other things help me to live through it, but it is usually just a matter of time. This too, shall pass. For a while... Sometimes it takes a month or more of misery, but I do get through it.

I quit alcohol 20 years ago, but you know? It sure was a good pain killer. Kind of a life killer too, though. Oh well.

One thing is for certain: I have not found consistant relief.

A nice hot bath sure feels great no matter where I'm at on the pain-o-meter, though!

--------------------
Be Well

Posts: 103 | From Out West | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just some food for thought for the ladies. Might want to get the female stuff checked as well.

I suffered with extreme soreness and achey lower back pain for years. Found out alot was related to ovary issues and female changes--in addition to degenerative disc stuff. Not to mention later, and the lyme aches.UGH!

After consulting with doctors and got the female stuff treated, I went to Nova Care for rehab treatments who recommended actually certain EXCERCISES for the lower back (With heat on/off) and it made a big difference. Stretching the back out felt so good.

I still use the excercises once in a while when I get stiff and sore.

Hope this helps a little. [Smile]

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kidney and bladder function can cause this as well. If the kidneys aren't functioning well it can have a dramatic affect on muscles surrounding the sciatic nerve area. Its due to not being able to get rid of ammonia from the body. Higher ammonia is also caused by excess bacterial load, specifically candida. Just to add celery seed tea in the morning might help as well as a good kidney cleanse periodically. Might also want to look into herbs that support kidney function.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran_40
Member # 20176

Hey great, thanks again for all the wonderful

replies! Looks like alot of trial and error,

seeing what helps depends on the individual. Same

as medicine. What was worrying me was when lying

in bed, it even hurts rolling from side to side

just to get comfortable. Ibuprofen is helping

with my pain, but not curing it, as it comes

back. Thanks guys for the support! [group hug]

kellyjk4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyjk4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Fran, Have you had an MRI done on your back to make sure you don't have a structural issue?

I had back pain for many years - turned out I had spondylolisthesis, which was slowly getting worse and worse.

My case was bad and involved major surgery to my spine, but before the surgery I couldn't even walk.

Everyone always assumed the pain was from Fibromyalgia, which I was diagnosed with a long time ago.

If the pain persists, or you suspect something might be really wrong, please follow your gut and insist on an MRI.

FYI, standard MRI's came back almost normal for me.

It was a stand-up MRI that finally pointed out the problem.

Good luck to you.

--------------------
Take care -kelly
---------------

Posts: 330 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
suffered for years, much better with a new mattress.

Usually a mattress is overlooked but it is VERY important.

Youre laying on it for 8 hours a night!

It needs to be soft yet supportive!

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chiropractic all the way here. Helps stop any sciatica. Just need to find a chiropractor who knows how to adjust the lower back/pelvic area.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollyS
Member # 20550

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HollyS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another one here with back pain.

I was in my early 30s and walked around like I was 90.

I was completely hunched over at the waist most of the time.

There were many days I couldn't walk at all.

I started getting epidural injections in my lower back for the pain.

I was also given steroids for the inflammation.

In early 2007 I was given many doses of oral abx and shots for recurring strep infection.

Coincidentally my back pain got worse. (herx possibly?) It was at this time I tested positive for Lyme.

I was told I didn't have Lyme, though.

I couldn't take the back pain any longer and opted for a double discectomy and two level spinal fusion.

The surgery was horrid but my back is better from it.

My surgeon said my two discs looked green and "rotten". Geesh....I wonder why.

I still see a chiropractor 3 days/week.

I can't live without my chiro.

It looks as if I have one leg longer than the

other but the x-rays show that my hips are rotated

which gives it that appearance.

This has caused a lot of hip pain too.

Chiro helps the hip pain, back pain, neck pain and headaches.

Posts: 94 | From Kansas City Area | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

hard/painful for me to roll over also.

i use an extra pillow NOT between my legs as i get so sweaty, but next to way i'll roll over so my other leg goes OVER 2nd pillow; helps ease lower back pain for me [Smile]

springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the infection lives there. As i treat and feel better my back pain goes away. When I flair I get pain in my back and hips and neck etc.
I have had herniated disks and epiderals etc in the past . So i know what that is like.

But I still feel it is the infection living in there causing us all this discomfort.

Just my own opinion. not proven or verified by anyone or any doctor or medical person.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lower back pain and L. hip and glute pain are the worst for me! I see my chiro every 2 weeks and my Sleep Number bed is great. I will be in such agony and minutes after lying in bed I feel good. My pain meds seem worthless (Ultram ER and tramadol).

I wake up w/o pain and it feels so good, with the exception of some hip pain. But before we got this mattress the bed killed my hips and hubby's, too.

liz

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had lower back pain and stiffness for many years.

I weigh 108 lbs and exercise, but the infection caused a fibromyalgia syndrome that feels like a tight band across my lower back and hips.

Some mornings I feel like I could break in half when I bend over.

We did get a wonderful new bed recently, which helped slightly.

My neck pain is even worse.

Chiropractic care does not help me at all.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was one of my symptoms before being diagnosed with lyme years ago. It was when I was at my worst.

I did go to a chiropractor and it helped, but I think it helped because it got blood flowing and moved toxins out of that area. Not because I was out of alignment.

I could barely get down the stairs and in and out of the car it was so painful.

After treatment, it's never been that bad, but still bothers me in streaks off and on.

I always wondered if it was maybe a neurological thing.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement