LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » went BACK to the duck today......hmm

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: went BACK to the duck today......hmm
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She said/

Hep C, maybee AIDS and borderline diabetees.

What a genius.

Didnt like IGINEX, didnt believe that even though I tested + for mycoplasma 8 times that its real.

Thinks that Im cross reacting with another disease.

But then she said she doesnt think I have any disease.

Thanks alot doc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should I go for the AIDS test and HEP C tests just for the fun of it?

She stole 5 dollars from me.!

[ 06-17-2009, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: lymeHerx001 ]

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No go find an LLMD lol. 99.9% of regular MD's are detrimental IF you have lyme. I can say this after a year of bouncing around them and almost broke from the bills.

If they had it their way I'd be hopped up on big SSRI's. Good thing I ran from them.

Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an LLMD. My mother sugested her saying she was good with Lyme from a friend.

She knew NOTHING!!!!!!!!!

She said she didnt think I was sick, maybee with AIDS or Hep C.

Are you serious?

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c3mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for c3mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herx,
She looked at you and said AIDS? WOW she sounds great! And here I thought you needed a test for that kinda stuff. LOL

By the way, how can you tell the difference between AIDS and Hep C by looking at someone?

How frustrating. I'm always entertained by wise words of the learned Ducks.

Posts: 262 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The plague of ignorance continues...... [shake]

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
losferwrds
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you give her a history of iv drug use or anal sex?

I don't understand why she would come to an aids conclusion.

Thats very odd.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm doubtful the original poster would say he/she did regardless on a public forum!! [Smile]

I'm NOT saying this is the case, just stating the obvious.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

quote:
Originally posted by c3mom:
[QB] Herx,
She looked at you and said AIDS? WOW she sounds great! And here I thought you needed a test for that kinda stuff. LOL

By the way, how can you tell the difference between AIDS and Hep C by looking at someone?

How frustrating. I'm always entertained by wise words of the learned Ducks.

I was thinking the same thing. If it were true, then I would have had to have sex when I was 13 when I first got sick. That DIDNT happen.

What a jerk, maybee a well meaning one, but a jerk none the less. I feel depressed and let down.

Im not even energetic enough for sex. And she kept asking me if I drank.

I told her the last beer I had was in 2004 and it made me suicidal.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

quote:
Originally posted by losferwrds:
[QB] Did you give her a history of iv drug use or anal sex?

I don't understand why she would come to an aids conclusion.

Thats very odd.

No and NO!

Thats the truth. How rediculous. Im a man with long hair, maybee I look like a AIDS patient on IV drugs. WTF.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

This is how the world looks at us?

I had a feeling she was looking at me like I was just crazy the whole time.

And when she asked me "why did he dianose Lyme if you didnt have a rash."

I almost fell over!!!!!!!!!

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Keebler always says, we can continue to pay money to ignorant people or move on...I'll choose the latter. There's a lot of the first category unfortunately and you never know until you meet them. [Frown]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

so I shouldnt take the hep c and aids test.

Im upset that insurance payed her $200 for this bs.

Zebco 33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zebco 33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said the sentance "She looked at me like I was crazy".

Yep. I've heard and seen it too.

I've read so many posts when in "Search" and even now.

Hate that look. Oh, if only they spent one week, one day with what we feel how different "that look would be",

I'm going to Oz to look for a brain. Sheesh.

Sorry that happened. Prayers for you. Scarecrow here.

Posts: 145 | From Paris, Tn. | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

losferwrds,

My mother died of HIV/Aids in 1984. She was not a drug user and her sexual choices did not put her in a high risk group.

HIV/AIDS is a very real problem and some very nice people can acquire it in a variety of ways.

Blood transfusions are just one way that many good people have contracted HIV and regardless of the kind of sex, sharing love between two people (whomever or however) should not kill them.

Depending upon one's exposure (and that is not always certain if a partner is not honest), It may a good idea to be tested for HIV.

And Hep. C can be very slow growing, so it may not surface for many years after exposure.

But, you don't have to go back to the ID doctor for either of those tests. Other doctors can handle that. Your LLMD can handle that, and you should pose the question there first.

And there are other things besides Hep C that can affect the liver. Porphyria might be considered if you are chemically sensitive, etc. More here about that: http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/71168#000038

As for borderline diabetes, that often goes with lyme and co. but there are ways to work with that through diet and even gentle exercise.

Bottom line: lyme takes a very long time to treat in many cases. No doctor can make a quick miracle out of lyme.

None of this is easy but it is important for you (not your mother, but you) to have confidence in your LLMD. Perhaps your mother would be interested in WHY you selected your LLMD. She might enjoy learning more and becoming a better support to you.

Still, if the confidence is not there with your LLMD or you think you need a different approach, there are many other good doctors who are ILADS educated but may have something new to offer you.

First, I encourage you to be open and honest with your LLMD regarding your expectations, questions and chances of altering treatment for better results. If we just walk away, we take from them the chance to explore further or to teach us what we need to know to hold on.

You might ask about rife or changing some of the support measures.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeLearned
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeLearned     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mind if I jump in here? Ironically when I found the two embedded ticks (don't I have all the luck) I was in headed for a surgical prep room, about to have surgery (the minor version) for a spinal stenosis.

Anyway, until it was found, I was bounced about by docs who saw "nothing" because that's what they were looking for.

I was diagnosed with "fibromyalgia" because they could diagnose my leg weakness and explain it away with no expensive tests.

Again, I wonder if some are rewarded and threatened by HMOs conversely depending on whether they cost or saved them $money$.

Now, I bring my mom or husband to all appointments.

1) They can verify any subjective symptoms.

2) They help me remember anything I need to bring up and what the doctor says as well.

I have no idea if my advice is helpful, but know that I care and want to help.

I have been telling everyone who doesn't know the truth about Lyme, now that I've learned because of all of you. Thank~You

--------------------
"SEVEN LYME FACTS THAT COULD HAVE SAVED ME" VISIT ME AT:

http://www.youtube.com/TickedOffLiterally

Posts: 183 | From USA | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is something to be said for having someone come with you to doctor's appointments.

One, doctors realize that someone is concerned about the condition and tend to take the patient more seriously.

Two, there is a witness to what is happening and they tend to have better behavior.

Also, it helps to have someone else to help remember everything.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

wow Parisa, my Mother wanted to come with me, but I was embarrased.

So Keebler, youre saying it might be a good idea to test for HIV and Hep C?

I know my LLMD would laugh at that If I asked him.

But this woman doctor none the less sounds very clue less.

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HIV and Hep C are things that (from my perception) a lot of doctors will want to test for in anyone who is chronically ill. It would be irresponsible of them not to check that out given our vague symptoms.

If your insurance is covering the testing, I don't see why not. Someone doesn't have to fit the unfortunate stereotypes to have one of those diseases.

Over the course of being chronically ill I have been tested for HIV a couple times by doctors. It is not like I lead a reckless lifestyle, but doctors have to rule these things out.

Sorry if she was a duck regardless though....

Honestly though, everyone should know their HIV status, even someone who has only had one or two partners should know. You need to know in case you get pregnant, donate blood or an organ, etc.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

First, are you a teenager just starting out it life? If so, maybe that is not necessary.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

While ID doctors usually know very little about lyme, they do see more Hep. C. and, just maybe, the ID doctor's suggestion about that might be something you ask your LLMD about.

Seems strange she would first suggest it and then say she didn't think anything was wrong.

No doctor should ever laugh at this kinds of questions.

-=============================

http://www.sinomedresearch.org/hcv/index.htm

About HCV - overview (Zhang)

Viral hepatitis, especially hepatitis C, is currently the most prevalent infectious disease in the U.S. It is estimated that more than 4.5 million Americans have been infected with hepatitis C and more than 30,000 new cases are diagnosed each year.

Most common diagnosis methods are:

* ELISA assay to detect Hepatitis C antibody

* HCV RNA C PCR test

* Liver enzymes

* Liver biopsy shows chronic inflammation

Hepatitis C genotype. Six genotypes are present around the world. Most Americans have genotype 1 infection, which has lower response rates to Interferon based treatments.

Hepatitis C is an insidious and stealthy virus that mutates while hiding within liver and other organ cells, making it very difficult for the body's immune system to eradicate it.

Additionally, hepatitis C tends to progress slowly over many years , resulting in as many as 74% to 85% of infected patients having few noticeable symptoms until they reach an advanced chronic stage.

Hepatitis C results in 8,000 to 10,000 deaths annually. It is also the leading cause for liver transplants in the U.S. Without effective treatment, this figure is expected to triple within the next 10 to 20 years.

As the disease progresses, blood tests indicate elevated liver enzyme levels (ALT, AST), which are indicative of liver damage and inflammation. As the course of the disease gradually disrupts crucial liver functions, it progresses to cirrhosis in about 15%-25% of patients.

A small percentage among these cases may progress to hepatocellular carcinoma, a type of primary liver cancer.

Although the severity of hepatitis C is much less than HIV infection, four times as many people are infected with HCV than HIV. The course of disease progression can take several decades, which allows considerable time for proper treatment and disease management.

Proper treatment, lifestyle, diet, abstinence from alcohol and stress management are key factors in mitigating disease progression.

-

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

no ,not a teenager but sick since the beginning of my teens. Never promiscuous.
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

well, I think I will take the tests for the hell of it.

For some reason the AIDS test scares me! I mean, are there false positives with AIDS?

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Also I think that If I have AIDS I would be DEAD!

But youre right its just another think thats important to test for.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis_C

Hepatitis C

Excerpt:

. . . .

Transmission

. . . (a long list) . . .

. . . Shared personal care items

Personal care items such as razors, toothbrushes, cuticle scissors, and other manicuring or pedicuring equipment can easily be contaminated with blood. Sharing such items can potentially lead to exposure to HCV.

Appropriate caution should be taken regarding any medical condition which results in bleeding such as canker sores, cold sores, and immediately after flossing.

HCV is not spread through casual contact such as hugging, kissing, or sharing eating or cooking utensils.[19]

. . . .

- Full article at link above.

-

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

thanks, Keebler.

What really disturbed me about this woman was that she was adament that mycoplasma doesnt cause chronic disease and that me testing positive 8 times for M. Pnemoniae didnt mean anything other then Im cross reacting.

Well if thats the case, then it should be the same for every test. Every test cross reacts with every other one.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Well, she's never read the work of primo researcher Garth Nicholson in the area of mycoplasma.

-

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had almost the same experience when I first saw a duck for what I pretty much knew was Lyme (I'd been bitten by a tick, got an atypical rash, come down with an insane flu a week later, and had arthritis and horrible fatigue 6 weeks later).

He started down a 'weight loss, night sweats' line of questioning, which I quickly recognized was an HIV line of questioning. Then he finally closed the door to the waiting room, which had been open the whole time, and stammered out 'have you been having safe se..se..se...x?'. The old ******* couldn't even say the word "sex".

I hope I gave him a withering enough glare for what I was feeling.

Then he pronounced something along the lines that 'well, it's not Lyme , but it might be leukemia, or cancer, or AIDS'. REALLY.

The background to this is that I'm quite thin, and had a couple of tattoos. This was near NYC where a) Rockland County is endemic for Lyme and b) there are tons and tons of people with tattoos. I realized that in his horrible world-view, he must have thought I was a drug-addicted prostitute because of the tattoos. Ugh.

I had already educated myself on the Lyme symptoms, and I knew a bit about health, so I was pretty sure I didn't have leukemia, but I knew that many other patients would have been terrified to hear this flippant dismissal of their symptoms , with no evidence whatsoever for my having any of those other diseases and plenty of evidence for having Lyme.

I think I ended up testing CDC positive out of all that.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Duck or No Duck it does not hurt to go ahead and rule out things with tests.

My adopted son had to go to the hospital and they ran a full panel of various thing because of the seriousness of what he was exhibiting at the time.

i would never have known he had Hep C if it were not for testing panels and now we know.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymeherx01 I have Lyme and I was almost dead. It

was effecting every bodily function I have,

including my heart. I found some things that worked

to calm it down until I could get on the

antibiotics while waiting to get in to LLMD. I am

a lot better now but because of my experience

very scared for people who are not there yet. I

think anything is possible in testing with Bb.

Igenex helped me get here.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Maria, you tested CDC positive for what?
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a prominant LLMD tests all his new patients for Hep.C. (just to make sure)

That is a scary bug since apparently it can live on objects for a few days...(doorknobs, counters etc.)

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme, of course- not "leukemia, or AIDS" or whatever else the dang duck claimed I might have "except Lyme". I dont' remember a huge amount about my testing but I think I argued with him to give me a Western Blot right away, and unbelievably he caved.

testing for Hep is never a bad idea. I had a friend with fatigue symptoms (and pain I think) that completely resembled Lyme and turned out to just be due to elevated liver enzymes instead, caused by something else she was taking. She got the liver readings normalized and all her 'lyme' symptoms disappeared. I can only imagine what it'd be like to have both Lyme and something else.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

I cant believe I was never tested for HEP. I have to check my records.

Anyway, do you think I should give this duck more money from insurace?

It kills me to think that shes getting 100-200$ while I make about $300 a week!

I feel like such a sucker, or loser..... Im in stitches over this.

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get it? How can she say she doesn't think you're sick or have any disease if she thinks you have either AIDS or Hep C? Both of those are diseases and both of them can make someone very sick!!!

I'd say it wouldn't get hurt to get tested for both, just to see.

Even if you know you have lyme, it doesn't hurt to make sure these other things come back negative, ya know?

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Because she cant explain the burning in my feet. She cant explain my dietary restrictions (I told her I can only eat mean and vegetables)

She had nothing to say about the vertigo or chemical sensitivity.

Im just worried about a false positive.

She thinks that the mycoplasma infection is a false positive or its cross reacting.

Im just sick of going for blood work to prove that Im sick and theres something wrong.

Also she doesnt belive in taking anti biotics at all for chronic mycoplasma or Lyme.

Im kinda worried that I gave her my doctors name, as much as Im frustrated with him, he is very nice and caring and I dont want to see him shut down.

I do believe my LLMD helps people where ducks fail!

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Don't hire any professional who is not up to good standards.

Get your LLMD to run the Hep C test. Or your PCP. You do not need to go back to a doctor who is so incomplete.

It perplexes me why you would even consider going back to a doctor with whom you have so many reservations and she is not accepting of what you are facing.

Now, it's good she suggested a Hep C test, but it does not take a rocket scientist to figure that one out. Read up on it, though, to be sure the correct tests are done.

And, still, you are dealing with lyme. You know that already. So, even if the ID doctor tests you, regardless of the outcome, she is looking at you like a freak.

Why hire someone to abuse you? It's not worth the drama and such interactions really distracts your energy from the task at hand.

----------

Since I don't like blanket judgments:

I do want to say that not all ID doctors are the IDSA puppets. Most are; but not all. Some are smart and dedicated and some are just beginning to understand the web of deceit that the IDSA has woven regarding tick-borne disease.

So, sometimes, giving an ID doctor a chance can be a good thing - IF some homework has been done to learn about their skills - IF you know up front that they understand much more about lyme than the IDSA "allows" and - IF you know that they are familiar with the ILADS research.

That is a rare combination in an ID doctor, but there are a few out there who deserve not to be painted with the same brush.

However, when there are obvious conflicts, for whatever reason, it is usually best to find a doctor who has your trust and respect.

We have neither time nor energy to keep getting beaten up over and over again. We can't change how some doctors practice but we sure don't have to hire them as our experts if they are not one.

-

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't have to go back to her!

If you still want to get the testing done so that it's not just "one more thing" you need to ask the LLMD about, just get it done.....then you can call the office in a couple weeks to ask for the results.

Sorry, I know testing for these things can be nerve-wracking, because you think to yourself, "what if it IS positive? How would I have gotten it?" even if, based on your lifestyle, it is very unlikely.

I'm just of the mindset that getting this testing is nothing to be ashamed about nowadays, as opposed to in the past when people were even less informed....I was recently pregnant (ended in miscarriage), and they ordered that testing for me without even asking how many partners I had had, etc.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Keebler thats a good question. I think deep down I feel guilty about this and that I have to suffer in order to prove it to "them."

I swear I had a HEP test once. And my last IGINEX test a couple years ago my LLMD said that lyme wasnt really a factor any more and he keeps saying mycoplasma.

Levaquin DOES hit me and make me herx and then feel better for a little while.

I do think that I am dealing with some sort of bacterial agent, why else would abx make me feel that different.

I just feel like she is shooting in the dark.
She didnt understand that I have been sick for a VERY LONG TIME!!!!!!!!

And that its very serious for me. I think she looked at me like a drug addict or alcoholic.

She asked me, do you drink about 3 times. I told her last beer I had made me suicidal. She couldnt believe that!!

Then she kept saying, you smoke, do drugs... no no no. NEVER????

You really think Im gonna tell her everything I smoked. ITS IRRELEVANT> If I were in Colorado things might be different.

But here in the nutmeg state everyone is so prissy and condescening, they want to label me a druggie or a loon, its much easier.

I have never went to a doctor looking for anything other then RELIEF!!!!!!!!

There are people with fibromyalgia who take oxycodone, im not one of those. I took a percocet once and it made me flush in the face and made me hot.

It did not take away my pain.

It seems like she is looking at me like I just got sick last week or month.

She cant admit. I DONT KNOW GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

She wants the MONEY@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clint31
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clint31     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got tested (without knowing) for HIV and Hep when I first was really sick and seeing my doctor. She just did it to absolutely rule those things out. It's not uncommon as Hoosiers said for anyone as sick as us.

But, I am curious to know what in your symptoms made the doctor say HIV or Hepatitis C? It just doesn't make sense.

--------------------
DX'ed Lyme Disease: 7/7/2008
DX'ed Babesia, Epstein Barr, Liver Parasite 8/15/2013.

Posts: 739 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish it wasn't so hard for people with positives to believe their results and to not think it's a mistake or believe it's a false positive.

What about the people who have lyme but never get a positive ever? It's so much harder for us, I think, because we are so extremely ill and yet we don't know FOR SURE if lyme is what we have. And so we are treated for it but we are going blindly into it not knowing for sure.

It's sick, but I'd LOVE to get a positive on a lyme test just once so I'd know for SURE. With an entirely negative test, it does not rule out lyme whatsoever. But it also doesn't totally rule it IN either...

If you have a positive, you have lyme. Plain and simple. Mycoplasma does not cross-react with *ALL* or even very many (I think maybe one or two at the most) of the lyme bands... and depending on what bands you had positive, that totally rules out that doctor's theories.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
disturbe, it's not sick to want a positive Lyme test. I pray for one all the time so I will know for sure and won't always question the diagnosis. Without a positive, the question of whether it is lyme or not is always there. That is one of the reasons why I hate this disease. I want validation for my suffering.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

8 times positive for mycoplasma pnemoniae IGG and IGM.

Is she a MORON??????????

She thinks that the test is wrong. So it must be AIDS or HEP C.

I also read the you can have HEP C and show no symptoms.

The only thing that I can think of as far as contamination is taking a needle in my teens, putting it to a flame or alcohol and then popping cystic acne with it. I know it sounds gross, but I have some dermatilomania (mild skin picking, acne mostlly on my body).

I dont look disfigured or abnormal at all from it.

Never did IV drugs or blood transfusion.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

you know what, Im starting to change my mind.

I took 20 mg of levaquin today and felt a world of difference.

My skin was in less pain and my head was more clear, and I had more energy.

To think that the levaquin is not hitting anything and that my 8 positive mycoplasma test results mean that they are cross reacting is just ludicrous!

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Igenex asks for no antibiotic for at least 2 weeks prior to draw. But a antibiotic challenge is great idea.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Antibiotic challenge?

BTW im still on the fence of whether or not to get these tests.

I mean if she believes 8 times + myco is a FALSE POSITIVE. Then who is to say that If I test + for HIV or HEP C that this to will be a false positive.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Ok, I think Im gonna tell them to test me for everything but HIV.

I dont want the mental devistation should I have a false positive.

If I had full blown AIDS wouldnt my CD4+T cells be low?

I just would rather not know. Ive been sick since 13 and this is an insult. If I do, then so be it, let me die.

I dont want to give the ducks more power with a false positive test. I was never promisuous and never did IV drugs, so my risk is nil to none. Unless of course I contaced it through kissing. But then again I dont even have herpes virus.

I do test positive for parvo virus and mycoplasma. And for her not to believe that mycoplasma pnemoniae can bring about a chronic illness, well she is misinformed at best.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

ONE MORE POINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She didnt seem to believe in the herxheimer at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I told her that after 3 days of BIAXIN I felt like someone broke my kneecaps. She pretended like she didnt hear it.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Two and Three posts up it sounds like you are going to go back to this doctor for testing.

Why are you not planning to go elsewhere if this doctor upsets you so much? The stress and drama of that is really detrimental to your body even beginning to get into a healing mode.

There are many other doctors who can run these tests without the high emotional price tag you have with this doctor. There are many who will treat patients with respect. Go to one of them.

-

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Keebler you have to be the most emotionally sound person on this board and stand for the voice of reason.

I dont know why, I have been jerked around so much that I dont know which way is up anymore!

I would just like to have the test results for insulin ressistance and HEP C at least.

But your right, I dont have to see her. I felt that she was stigmitizing me the second I walked through the door. "How can I help you today."

As If I had a sore throat! Please. Keebler you know me better then any doctor could just from experiencing everyones stories on this board and reading through these posts of these desperatelly chronically sick people like myself.

Thank-you for that.

I feel as If I need to prove this woman something, but you know what, like my father said, no matter what I do I will not change her mind. She has been practicing medicine for a long time and what will I gain by even getting a glimmer of understanding from her?

Nothing but wasted time.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Allright Keebler, you got me. Im going to cancel my appointment.

I should have known that when she asked me what medications I take and I told her just the ones I take to sleep which were Ambien, Xanax and Benadryll she gasped.

This woman is just used to treating normal fully functioning adults who happen to get sick, not a complex illness like mine or anyone else on this board.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

^
Pinelady
Member # 18524

LymeHerx my knees did not hurt till I started treatment. Now they feel like they will explode under me. Sound familiar?

--------------------
IgM neg pos

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

yes it does.

that duck I went to thinks I have aids or hep c because of that.

now does that make sense?

3 days of biaxin and I felt like someone broke my knee caps!

Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first became ill I was checked out for everything,Hep C, HIV and ton's of other things. I am glad as it ruled out a lot.Many of these illnesses have the same symptoms. Try and find a doc you are comfy with that is conscious,caring and kind and knows about lyme,co-infections Pyroluria etc,etc etc.Someone not in their Ego.Someone who works with you not at you.
Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

thank-you for that kind response.

I looked through my blood tests and couldnt find if I had a HEP C test. I wonder If I have had HEP C this whole time.

Then again I did and do herx from abx and test + for mycoplasma, thats incontrovertable.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Is it true that I can have HEP and no symptoms?
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Yep. I would not worry over this, though. It's just a routine thing to rule out and you certainly have not been in the high risk group (although even a bad manicure can pose a risk).

Hep C is not the only kind of hepatitis, though, so we have to be aware and be very kind to our livers. Drugs and other infections can also cause hepatitis of other kinds.

You can help your liver stay stronger with good liver support, avoiding things that harm your liver and eating a diet rich in nutrients and fiber.

-

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

I just talked to the phenologysts (sp?) the guy who draws the blood.

I told him that the docotr didnt believe that testing 8 times positive was indicative of an active infection even though some doctors do believe that.

He told me that this was very unlikelly, that 8 times is more then enough to prove something.

I also asked him about the HIV test. He said that if it were affirmative then even so one would have to go to 2-3 different doctors and its under an INTERPRETATION.

We think we are dealing with science here people, well we are not. Nothing is exact. There is still an interpretation and this is where the DUCKS pevert the evidence like this lady.

jessie86
Member # 20045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessie86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was also tested for aids early on, not that my doc thought i was a tramp by any means. but just to rule out everything.

and also lymeherx, if you have had any surgeries they will test you for aids before they even touch you!!

At least in Texas they do. so i have had probably 3 or so aids tests.even tho i know that was almost an impossibility, it was still scary.

I'd take the tests just to shut her up & prove a point.
Just my Opinion

Posts: 57 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

well Im not going back to her. I know allready that she wont change her mind.

She doesnt believe in long term abx nor does she believe that an 8 times postive mycoplasma pnemoniae test means that I could possibly be infected with a stealth pathogen that causing all my problems.

The burning in my feet are another issue too!

I cheated twice this week with my diet and also took too much levaquin. My feet are KILLING me today.

Right now they feel like someone is pulling the skin off from the bottom of my soles.... AHHH im in very bad pain today.

Its not good. My legs feel like someone is twisting each muscle fiber with a WRENCH!

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

HIV tests Normal: No HIV antibodies are found. Normal results are called negative.

If an antibody test is done during the seroconversion period and is negative, repeat testing is needed. Most people have antibodies to HIV within 6 months after becoming infected. If a repeat test at 6 months is negative, there is no infection.

Another test to look for genetic material can be used to find infection in people who still have a negative ELISA but who may have a chance of being infected.

Uncertain: Test results do not clearly show whether a person has an HIV infection. This is usually called an indeterminate result. It may occur before HIV antibodies develop or when some other type of antibody is interfering with the results. If this occurs, a PCR test, which detects HIV RNA, may be done to see if the virus is present.

A person who still has indeterminate results for 6 months or longer is called "stable indeterminate" and is not considered to be infected with HIV.

Abnormal: HIV antibodies are found. These results are called positive.

A positive ELISA is repeated using the same blood sample. If two or more ELISA results are positive, they must be confirmed by a Western blot or IFA test. The ELISA test can cause false-positive results. No one is considered HIV-positive until he or she has a positive Western blot, IFA, or PCR test.

What Affects the Test
Factors that can interfere with your test or the accuracy of the results include:

The use of corticosteroids.
Antibody testing during the seroconversion period.
Having an autoimmune disease, leukemia, or syphilis.
Drinking too much alcohol.

^^^^^^^^^^

so it seems this test ising reliable either.

What Affects the Test
Factors that can interfere with your test or the accuracy of the results include:

The use of corticosteroids.
Antibody testing during the seroconversion period.
Having an autoimmune disease, leukemia, or syphilis.
Drinking too much alcohol.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

they no nothing [Smile]
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

it says that if you have syphilis it might effect the results.

Sphilis is a spyrochete, also is Lyme. So does that mean that the test will be inaccurate?

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

^
JesseSapp
Member # 16630

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JesseSapp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you still looking for an answer about whether lyme (as a spirochete) will afect the HIV test? The answer is an emphatic no. HIV testing (unlike lyme) is highly accurate, but the process is very similar. First it must have a positive elisa, then a positive WB. If both those hold (at this point the liklihood of being infected is well over 99% given the high specificity) they then procede to a PCR to determine viral load (where they look directly for the virus, not the antibody response).

So, no...the testing series is very accurate (high sensitivity and high specificity) and you are extremely unlikely to have a false positive (or negative) with lyme disease.

Posts: 99 | From Bucks County, PA | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

So your saying the HIV test like the Lyme test is accurate.

I have been hearing all along on this board that the Lyme testing is inaccurate, thats why we go to labs like iginex.

Also then the fact that I tested 8 times + for mycoplasma means something is going on. This doc thought nothing of it!

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

I went back to the doctor (duck) today and it turns out she is a very nice lady.

Last time I saw her I had taken Lyrica the night before and I was in a pessimistic COMA!

I explained to her everything again. I was right about the HIV, because I omitted the consent form they did not give me results. So I dont have to worry about that. I dont want any false positives.

Everthing else was normal. Normal sugar, normal SED rate. HEP was negative. Quest Lyme was negative.

Mycoplasma IGG was positive but the IGM was below range and now considered negative.

I then told her "well Im taking levaquin and that could have hit it" she told me that I never told her that before and she doesn't believe in taking long term antibiotics for this kind of infection.

She basically doesnt believe in mycoplasma as a causative agent in fibromyalgia. But I did get her to admit that she believes in fibromyalgia and also told me that my symptoms were not psycogenic.

I then asked about MS. She said they look for plaques in the brain (My MRI was neg) and then she recommended 2 neurologists.

I told her that the ones I went to at Yale were terrible and she agreed that they see to many people for it to matter in my case.

She also referred me to an allergist.

So there...

It wasnt a complete loss.

But I still dont have a real diagnoses. Only a diagnoses from a LLMD and MYSELF!

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Welcome to the club LymeHerx. Your story told by the ID doc is exactly what they are trained to say. I got the same word for word before.

Idea 1: Dismiss Lyme/possible infection treatable with long-term Abx.

Idea 2: Push patient to 10 more specialists to get them out of their office on another sidetrack.

Idea 3: COme back - repeat direction.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
well she didnt even notice that she didnt have the HIV test!

So I was making a big deal out of nothing!!!

pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everytime you go see a duck you're casting your vote and giving them business when they shouldn't even have a license.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

well she believes in fibromyalgia, but not a chronic infection. Ohh Great/

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement