LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » why no steriods??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: why no steriods??
jessie86
Member # 20045

Icon 5 posted      Profile for jessie86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what does steroids do to a person with Lyme?? usually a few times a year i have the crud, you know a little upper respiratory stuff, & bronchitis.

DR usually gives me a shot of abx and steroids. and i have always done good, until the last couple years.

when i get the shot now, it makes me feel really wired & jittery & also my cheeks get blood read & hot & stay that way for a few days.

in the past i've been fine with steroids.but not anymore [Frown]

so whats up with the Steroids??

thanks,
Kat

Posts: 57 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it suppresses your immune system. Then your body would not be fighting the Lyme as well. Not sure how to explain it best, but something like that. Maybe someone else can better explain it?

My LLMD said that I should not have steriods unless it was to save my life!

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear jessie86,
As Amy C mentioned, avoiding steroids is important so not to further suppress your immune system. Another issue they contribute to is an overgrowth of yeast in your lower intestines. I was asthmatic as a child and teenager, so inhaled steroids were a daily part of my life for many years. I also frequently had Bronchitis, so antibiotics were used at least twice per year. Now I have a massive overgrowth of Candida Albicans yeast in my body, which tends to complicate Lyme even more.

The symptoms you have described sound as if you were overdosed on the steroids. I had similar symptoms when my doctor prescribed too high a dosage of Serevent when I was a teenager.
Such immunity problems may result from taking them, it is not worth it unless there are no other options. In emergency scenarios it would be alright. However, steroids are typically a last resort for those with Lyme.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Candida Overgrowth (2006)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Gallbladder Disease (removed- 2003)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Ovarian Cysts (5 in less than 10 months - 2000)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Posts: 369 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our llmd says that steroids feed lyme.

Linky

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
--

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano's Treatment Guidelines (2008)

Excerpts:

From page 4:

. . .

More severe illness also results from other causes of weakened defenses, such as from severe stress, immunosuppressant medications, and severe intercurrent illnesses.

This is why steroids and other immunosuppressive medications are absolutely contraindicated in Lyme. This also includes intraarticular steroids.

. . . .

From page 12:

. . .

More evidence has accumulated indicating the severe detrimental effects of the concurrent use of immunosuppressants including steroids in the patient with active B. burgdorferi infection.

Never give steroids or any other immunosuppressant to any patient who may even remotely be suffering from Lyme, or serious, permanent damage may result, especially if given for anything greater than a short course.

If immunosuppressive therapy is absolutely necessary, then potent antibiotic treatment should begin at least 48 hours prior to the immunosuppressants.

. . . .

===============

http://www.lymenet.de/literatur/steroids.htm

Antibiotics and Steroids

by John Drulle, M.D.

Excerpts

. . .

We have seen literally dozens of patients with Lyme who were initially treated with steroids who reported a dramatic worsening rather than improvement as would be expected. Dr. Joseph Burrascano has coined the expression, ' Steroid Disasters, ' to describe these patients.

. . .

Corticosteroids can last in the body for months, usually around 6 months. In many bacterial infections such as LD, damage can be done.

. . . .

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tcw
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tcw     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the Dr. B guidelines are mainly concerned with steroids (glucocorticoids specifically) being used as an immunosuppresant. This is most often an issue for patients that are suffering from Lyme but are misdiagnosed with an autoimmune disorder.

Although some inhalers do contain corticosteroids, there is probably a big difference in immune supression between typical Advair use and 40mg of prednisone daily.

Posts: 263 | From Capital Region, NY, USA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Some here do okay with some inhalers that contain steroids and, of course, breathing is pretty important so if there is no other way to control asthma, choices may have to be made.

I guess inhaler use would best be discussed with one's LLMD. I have tried several kinds and had horrible reactions - some that lasted for weeks.

A friend had to keep talking me out of going to the ER for an antidote. She had CFS and knew that the reaction I had was nothing that any doctor could have understood. I was a disaster for weeks, nearly a full month for that one breath from the inhaler to stop the electrical jolts to my body.

Even the tiny amount of epinephrine in some dental numbing shots have sent me to the moon for a week or longer. My dentist was the wise one to see that. I had no idea that steroids would be in a shot at the dentist. She wrote "NO EPI" on my chart.

Somewhere else in the guidelines, Dr. B. says to not even use a topical steroid cream.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

I want to mention that steroids for eyes, at times, can save one's vision. Same for hearing - and for life, even. In an emergency, if steroids are required, they can be life saving.

It's just that it is important to cover the bases with one's LLMD.

There is a current post in which Marnie posts a link about DHEA eye drops. Here's that thread:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/82288#000007

Topic: prednisone eye drops ?

-

kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thats great.... I am on Hydrocortosone.....

I have to find an alternative route for my Lyme-induced Addisons Disease.

I think Nuero Science Labs does some holistic approaches to Adrenal Insufficieny, I gotta check it out...

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jessie86
Member # 20045

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jessie86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am on isocort cortisol for adrenal insufficiencies.

so im thinking this isnt good to be taking? i never thought about the isocort and i also take dhea,does this have Cortisone in it also??

Man i have a lot to learn!

Posts: 57 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

There are some safe uses of Cortef for lyme patients. Singleton's book discusses that.

Kreynolds, I assume your LLMD is working with you so you may be fine. Addison's clearly does have to be treated, though.

You might want to also read the work of Sarah Myhill from the UK as she has a wonderful discussion about sub-physiological doses:

www.prohealth.com/ME-CFS/library/showArticle.cfm?libid=14383&B1=EM031109C

Underactive Adrenal Gland - Stresses and Problems with the Body's 'Gear Box'

================

More specific to the lyme patient:

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

-

kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebeler,

Yes he is... Thanks for the links! I have Secondary Adrenal Insuffiency.

Basically the Lyme and TBD's are damaging my Pituitary Gland therefore not secreting enough ACTH levels to my Adrenal Glands.

My doc said if it gets any more damaged they will have to do surgery [Eek!]

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son used to be on a daily inhaler to control asthma. He had mild symptoms of asthma though. Only had a few attacks and needed his emergency inhaler. Usually when he was sick or in really humid weather.

He is much sicker from Lyme then my other son. I always wonder if it's from that?

The weird thing is that he is doing fine without the inhaler. He is actually sick less often. If you read the side effects, upper respiratory infections is one of them!

Of course, if your asthma isn't mild I am not sure what to do? I thought I read about an inhaler that didn't contain steriods? Can't remember what it's called but I found it while doing a google search.

Amy

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Atrovent HFA is steroid-free (Ipratropium bromide HFA) -

However, the side-effects can be quite daunting so be sure to read all about it.

--

Cordyceps helps my lungs. It's a medical mushroom that also helps adrenal function. But, I had to use the Atrovent HFA for a short time during a violent cough this past winter.

It did not wire me at all but did really wreck the insides of my mouth and my esophagus. A spacer should be used with it. Still, after reading all about it, I would not want to be on this for very long at all.

-

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Albuterol is the steroid free inhalor. At least that is what I was told and the one I use.

What does it mean if you take steroids for a few weeks and you don't have a bad reaction? Does that mean you don't have LD; or could the reaction come weeks or months later? Or could you just not have a reaction yet still have Lyme?

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had only mild symptoms before i got steroids. taking them was THE mistake of my life.
Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Keebler,
Thank you so much for all of the information and links! I found it interesting about the adrenaline at the dentist's office. The last time I had an extraction, I got heart palpitations. I am due for many extractions and fillings soon. Do I just ask for them to leave it out?

Dear Amy C,
I am not surprised about your son doing better off of the inhaler. The same thing happened to me. I have not had Bronchitis since going off of it! There has got to be a connection, because I had it at least once per year. My asthma was exercise-induced for the most part, and I still have a touch of it here and there. However, I do not use an inhaler at all.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Posts: 369 | From Midwest | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Jin,

Call your dentist on Monday and ask them to look in your file and see if the anesthetic they gave you contained epinephrin (sp?). Whether it did nor not, ask them to write "NO EPI" in your file.

Be sure that they can offer you an epinephrin (sp?)-free shot so that when you go the next time this will have already been addressed and that the "No EPI" is on your chart as the first thing they see.

===================

Since we were talking about inhalers, this is of interest. In the news today: Singulair and suicidal impulses:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31330949/ns/health-allergies_and_asthma/

Agency requiring drugmakers to include language on psychiatric problems

Associated Press - updated 2:41 p.m. PT, Fri., June 12, 2009

WASHINGTON - New labels on popular asthma drugs like Merck's Singulair must highlight language about suicidal behavior, depression and anxiety seen in a small number of patients, federal regulators said Friday.

After 15 months of investigation, the Food and Drug Administration said Merck & Co. Inc., AstraZeneca and Cornerstone Therapeutics will have to raise label warnings about psychiatric problems reported by a handful of patients taking their drugs.

``Patients and healthcare professionals should be aware of the potential for neuropsychiatric events with these medications,'' the FDA said in a posting to its Web site.

A spokeswoman for Merck said the language already appears in Singulair's label, but will be raised to the ``precautions'' section. It's now listed in a section about various side effects reported by patients.

``We've been working with the FDA since Singulair came to market and every time we update the label it's in cooperation with them,'' said Merck spokeswoman Pamela Eisele.

Singulair was Whitehouse Station, N.J.-based Merck's best-selling product last year, with U.S. sales of $3.5 billion.

A spokesman for London-based AstraZeneca said new labeling on its drug would only mention two psychiatric problems: depression and insomnia.

A spokesman for Cary, N.C.-based Cornerstone Therapeutics had no immediate comment Friday evening.

FDA regulators last spring began reviewing a handful of reports about mood changes, suicidal behavior and suicide in patients who had taken Singulair. The agency also launched probes into other drugs in the class, including AstraZeneca PLC's Accolate and Cornerstone Therapeutics Inc.'s Zyflo.

Earlier this year, the agency said company studies of the three drugs did not show an increased risk of suicidal behavior, though they were not designed to detect such problems. An FDA spokeswoman said Friday the agency is monitoring ongoing reports of suicide and other psychiatric problems among patients.

``We did move this language to the 'precautions' section to highlight that we're continuing to see these things,'' said FDA spokeswoman Karen Riley.

The exact language of the labeling updates has not been released, but the FDA said it could mention a slew of psychiatric problems, including: ``agitation, aggression, anxiousness, dream abnormalities and hallucinations, depression, insomnia, irritability, restlessness, suicidal thinking and behavior -- including suicide -- and tremors.''

. . . .

- cont'd at link above.

-

[ 06-13-2009, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Dear Keebler,
I will definitely call the dentist immediately! I wonder if this is related to Adrenal Gland Exhaustion? Epinephrine would likely raise cortisol levels, right? My body is really messed up! Thank you for the article and link on Singulair. I think I know someone on that, and better warn them.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Jin,

Yes, it is definitely related to the adrenals. They just can't take any more excitement, so to speak. AND it's also related to the neuro functions that are just so stressed out, too. AND even to our livers.

All systems seem to smoke and sizzle, for me, anyway.

-

Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Dear Keebler,
I know my liver is in need of help. I lost my gallbladder in 2003, but still experience pain, nausea, severe reflux, and other symptoms. Watching your fat intake and taking bile salts and okra pepsin helps. Still, additional issues could be a congested liver from Candida. As you said, everything seems to be haywire!

I went to www.gallbladderattack.com and found out having issues after gallbladder removal is quite common. My fear is that there is a bile duct injury or Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction. The diet would be worth a try. However, I am not sure what to do about meat. It does not appear to be allowed, and I feel worse without it.

Adrenals certainly appear to be an issue for me. I also have hyper reflexes, Thyroid Disease, and have a history of reproductive system issues. If only something could repair all of our systems! Being patient is difficult.
Sometimes you worry you are just sitting around waiting to die. It is so scary!

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Jin,

This is really hard, however, see if worry can be turned around into action so that you are either: learning more; doing more supportive stuff; resting -- or doing something totally unrelated to all this.

We are faced with very intense stuff but our brains are not in a position to heal when we are in the state of worry. Just shifting that around to action can change our brains.

Even rest is an action, by the way, in taking care of yourself. I also hope you can have some joy in every day, appreciate beauty where it is.

Hugs.
-

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
keebler, thx for advise of EPI/steroids in dental shots. i made myself a note & will call tomorrow myself. was just there for 3 visits.

may have to go later for a CROWN; 2 sessions ... got a temp one for now working great!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gace24
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gace24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Just wanted to chime in on the use of epinephrine in regards to having dental work done.
Epi is not a steroid but hormone produced naturally by the adrenal medulla in our bodies, causes the "fight or flight" reaction.

In dental work it is used sometimes in conjuction with one of the caines (numbing agents) like novacaine, It helps the novacaine last longer like for one to two hours, and also constricts blood vessels to prevent bleeding.

The problem with it is when the dentist injects it it sometimes gets into our bloodstream and causes a adrenline rush palpatations, dizziness, high heart rate etc. The dentist is supposed to aspirate back on the needle to make sure it is not in a blood vessel, but can still happen.

It has a half life of about 2 minutes so the effects start to subside soon after it happens. I have had this a couple of times mostly when he injects in the lower jaw, harder to place the needle without getting a blood vessel.

I have asked him to use the numbing without epi in it, and he usually does, but last time he pulled a tooth and wanted bleeding under control and for me to be numb. He got it into the blood vessel, I felt my heart speed up, got shakey and dizzy, but it subsided in about 2 or 3 minutes and he finished the work.

Grace

Posts: 113 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11735

Dear Keebler,
Worrying is really bad. My trouble is family issues. They cause a lot of my stress, but I am stuck living with them due to illness. I constantly worry the electricity will go out or something. Finances are so tight! My illness makes me a nervous wreck about everything, because the slightest thing can throw me through a loop.

Dear Grace,
Thank you for the additional information.
I had the same reaction you had. Mine lasted longer. Epinephrine is also used to stop dangerous allergic reactions, right? I thought maybe that is why the dentist included it in the injection. I have some molars that have to be removed, and certainly do not want that scary feeling to be worse than it already is.

Sincerely,
Jin

--------------------
Celiac Disease (2007)
Thyroid Disease (2004)
Fibromyalgia (2001)
Anemia (2000)
IBS (1999)
Acid Reflux (1999)

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

Some good discussion here about asthma and inhalers.

---

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/82446

Topic: steroids use for breathing problems

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement