LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Swine Flu Pandemic Declared Today by WHO

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Swine Flu Pandemic Declared Today by WHO
Tracy9
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHO: Swine flu pandemic has begun, 1st in 41 years

By MARIA CHENG and FRANK JORDANS, Associated Press Writers Maria Cheng And Frank Jordans, Associated Press Writers 2 mins ago

GENEVA - The World Health Organization declared a swine flu pandemic Thursday -- the first global flu epidemic in 41 years -- as infections in the United States, Europe, Australia, South America and elsewhere climbed to nearly 30,000 cases.

The long-awaited pandemic announcement is scientific confirmation that a new flu virus has emerged and is quickly circling the globe. WHO will now ask drugmakers to speed up production of a swine flu vaccine, which it said would available after September. The declaration will also prompt governments to devote more money toward efforts to contain the virus.

WHO chief Dr. Margaret Chan made the announcement Thursday after the U.N. agency held an emergency meeting with flu experts. Chan said she was moving to phase 6 -- the agency's highest alert level -- which means a pandemic, or global epidemic, is under way.

"The world is moving into the early days of its first influenza pandemic in the 21st century," Chan told reporters. "The virus is now unstoppable."

"However, we do not expect to see a sudden and dramatic jump in the number of severe and fatal infections," she added.

On Thursday, WHO said 74 countries had reported 28,774 cases of swine flu, including 144 deaths. Chan described the danger posed by the virus as "moderate."

The agency has stressed that most cases are mild and require no treatment, but the fear is that a rash of new infections could overwhelm hospitals and health authorities -- especially in poorer countries.

Still, about half of the people who have died from swine flu were previously young and healthy -- people who are not usually susceptible to flu. Swine flu is also crowding out regular flu viruses. Both features are typical of pandemic flu viruses.

The last pandemic -- the Hong Kong flu of 1968 -- killed about 1 million people. Ordinary flu kills about 250,000 to 500,000 people each year.

Swine flu is also continuing to spread during the start of summer in the northern hemisphere. Normally, flu viruses disappear with warm weather, but swine flu is proving to be resilient.

"What this declaration does do is remind the world that flu viruses like H1N1 need to be taken seriously," said Kathleen Sebelius, the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services, warning that more cases could crop up in the fall.

"We need to start preparing now in order to be ready for a possible H1N1 immunization campaign starting in late September," she said in a statement from Washington.

Chan said WHO was now recommending that flu vaccine makers start making swine flu vaccine. Drug giant GlaxoSmithKline PLC said they could start large-scale production of pandemic vaccine in July but that it would take several months before large quantities would be available.

Glaxo spokesman Stephen Rea said the company's first doses of vaccine would be reserved for countries who had ordered it in advance, including Belgium, Britain and France. He said the company would also donate 50 million doses to WHO for poor countries.

Pascal Barollier, a spokesman for Sanofi-Aventis, said they were also working on a pandemic vaccine but WHO had not yet asked them to start producing mass quantities of it.

The pandemic decision might have been made much earlier if WHO had more accurate information about swine flu's rising sweep through Europe. Chan said she called the emergency meeting with flu experts after concerns were raised that some countries like Britain were not accurately reporting their cases.

Chan said the experts unanimously agreed there was a wider spread of swine flu than what was being reported.

Chan would not say which country tipped the world into the pandemic, but the agency's top flu expert, Dr. Keiji Fukuda, said the situation from Australia seemed to indicate the virus was spreading rapidly there -- up to 1,260 cases late Wednesday.

Many health experts said the world has been in a pandemic for weeks but WHO became bogged down by politics. In May, several countries urged WHO not to declare a pandemic, fearing it would cause social and economic turmoil.

"This is WHO finally catching up with the facts," said Michael Osterholm, a flu expert at the University of Minnesota.

Despite WHO's hopes, Thursday's announcement will almost certainly spark panic about spread of swine flu in some countries.

Fear has already gripped Argentina, where thousands of people worried about swine flu flooded into hospitals this week, bringing emergency health services in the capital of Buenos Aires to the brink of collapse. Last month, a bus arriving in Argentina from Chile was stoned by people who thought a passenger on it had swine flu.

Chile has the most swine flu cases in South America, and the southern hemisphere is moving into its winter flu season.

In Hong Kong on Thursday, the government ordered all kindergartens and primary schools closed for two weeks after a dozen students tested positive for swine flu. The decision affected over half a million students.

In the United States, where there have been more than 13,000 cases and at least 27 deaths from swine flu, officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said the move would not change how the U.S. tackled swine flu.

"Our actions in the past month have been as if there was a pandemic in this country," Glen Nowak, a CDC spokesman, said Thursday.

The U.S. government has already increased the availability of flu-fighting medicines and authorized $1 billion for the development of a new swine flu vaccine. In addition, new cases seem to be declining in many parts of the country, U.S. health officials say, as North America moves out of its traditional winter flu season.

Still, New York City reported three more swine flu deaths Thursday, including one child under 2, one teenager and one person in their 30s.

"Countries where outbreaks appear to have peaked should prepare for a second wave of infection," Chan warned, adding that the virus could mutate "without rhyme or reason, at any time."

In Mexico, where the epidemic was first detected, the outbreak peaked in April. Mexico now has less than 30 cases reported a day, down from an average of 300, Health Secretary Jose Angel Cordova told The Associated Press. Mexico has confirmed 6,337 cases, including 108 deaths.

Cordova said he is concerned that other countries were not taking drastic measures to stop its spread like Mexico, which closed schools, restaurants, theaters, and canceled public events. He said the Mexican government has strengthened its detection system to spot cases in most of its 32 states to prepare for a possible second wave of infections in the winter.

"There's much anxiety over how the virus will act in the Southern Hemisphere, because the zone is currently showing a large number of new cases, in particular Australia, Chile and Argentina," Cordova said.

Many experts said the declaration of a pandemic did not mean the virus was getting deadlier.

"People might imagine a virus is now going to rush in and kill everyone," said John Oxford, a professor of virology at St. Bart's and Royal London Hospital. "That's not going to happen."

But Oxford said the swine flu virus might evolve into a more dangerous strain in the future.

"That is always a possibility with influenza viruses," he said. "We have to watch very carefully to see what this virus does."

___

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to scare anyone, but I have heard from a few doctors that this is the "calm before the storm".

It is predicted by some scientists that this flu will become a catastrophic problem around November of this year, when it's infection rate will increase far beyond what it is right now.

We should remain vigilant and continue to wash our hands and avoid exposure.....

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What frightens me is that most people who have died have had "underlying medical concerns," which makes me fear that we are at much higher risk than the rest of the population.

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c3mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for c3mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but from what I've read they have not released the other underlying medical problems. What were they?

I will make myself sick worrying - so I'm not. I agree with feelfit- wash hands and avoid exposure. AND I'm going to add a little prayer to mine [Smile]

Posts: 262 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Feelfit, i've heard the same. The doctors that I work with believe that it is going to mutate and hit us hard (aka be more virulent and deadly) this fall.

Unfortunately people don't take the regular flu seriously so why would they take precautions with this one. Everyone goes to work and school and church sick and spread their nasty germs to all their friends. Makes me so mad.

People need to cover their mouths when they cough, wash their hands, and stay home when they are sick!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

I'm not worried, (I'm bedridden anyway for the most part), but think we just need to be aware and get seen if we have any flu symptoms, because we all have numerous "underlying medical conditions."

I think we are more vulnerable, so just need to be a little more vigilant. Perhaps carry some hand sanitizer when we are out or go to the hospital or doctor's office, etc.

--------------------

charlie
Member # 25

Icon 1 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....and today Novartis announces that the vaccine is ready...how convenient..... [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]
Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pepperspeck
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pepperspeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do people here feel about the vaccine? I never get the regular flu shot, even though one could say I am in the high risk category due to a tendency to asthma when I used to get upper respiratory infections. The flu shot scares me.

--------------------
I found my original identity! It has been a bit over 12 years...can't blame me for forgetting my password, right?!!

Member red (Member # 1886)
70 posts

Posts: 164 | From NJ | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we're best to wait on the vaccine until we know that the vaccine doesn't cause the illness.

Also, I read a few months ago that it is considerably more difficult to develop a vaccine that will cover mutations.

And the concern about mutations reaffirms for me my initial impression:

That this is a bioweapon accident. The confluence of disparate genetic materials found in the virus, plus the fact that WHO is so alarmed about a flu, when there are flus that travel all the time.

There are special masks for viruses. They are not the same as the "usual" ones we're given in Emergency rooms, which cover bacteria but not viruses.

You're looking for masks with the N95 rating.

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I work with the public. I spend my free time outdoors with my horses. I am at risk.

I choose to eat healthy, take my medicine, wash my hands frequently, EXERCISE moderately and not worry about what has not yet happened to me.

I know many of you are too sick to exercise. I was there at one time too. So I bought a rebounder. I bought a good one, not the cheapy and because my lyme is arthritic, I could only sit on the rebounder and gently bounce while watching TV.

After a few months, I could stand on it and very gently bounce up and down for about 5 mins. You see this moves the lymph system which carries toxins out of our body.

Today, I can go at it robustly and I do. I also do small weights and I do yoga. I walk, I ride my horses, I just recently purchased a FIR sauna.

When I was first sick, I was so sick I could not sweat. I froze. Nothing could make me sweat and I was too crippled to do any exercise except as outlined above. Yet, exercise (moderate) actually boosts the immune system, releases pain relieving endorphins, reduces effects of many diseases like diabetes 2, rheumatoid arthritis, etc.

I honestly believe the bugs make it difficult for us to exercise because the exercise is so harmful to them.

Too much exercise is harmful too and I think that is why so many of us were athletes before we got sick. We were too atheletic for our own good.

I'm not guaranteed to be immune to H1N1, but I am hedging my bets.

I am a christian so it is my absolute belief my best days lie ahead of me and will be experienced in death. Keeping this in mind, I love living but I do not fear dying.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement