LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question about Thyroid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about Thyroid
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard that the "basic" thyroid test doesn't always catch all thyroid problems.

I had a lot of symptoms of a thyroid problem, and went and got whatever the most basic blood test is.

It came back normal- but my symptoms have gotten worse. I now have difficulty swallowing, and it feels like I have a lump in my throat.

I would be tempted to push for another test- but the doctor didn't even want to do the first.

When I mentioned my nerve symptoms, her wrote me off as "stressed".

Is it worth it to fight with him over getting a better thyroid test?

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My thyroid values are normal as well, but I have throat problems such as a gummy lump feeling, sometimes a hard knot feeling, trouble swallowing, etc.

I chalk mine all up to Lyme. [Frown]

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is worth it.

I would ask for a ultrasound to determine if

something is getting large enough to warrant

attention. Many goiters are preventable even if

hormone levels are normal. But I did not know

that until mine had got so large I had to have it

removed to breathe. But you have to have a good

doc that knows this too. It may also be some other

abnormality that requires attention.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also order most blood tests online if you pay up front....another option... (ohhh, but i'm not sure about canada in this case).....

You don't need a MD for everything...

If you have lyme, it may be easier to try to resolve infectious issues first and worry about hormones later...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fran_40
Member # 20176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fran_40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Nicole_Denise,
I would do as Pine Lady suggested and ask for an ultrasound of your thyroid. I have a "cold nodule" on my thyroid, and my blood levels are still within range.

The only reason I knew I had this was because my hormone levels went a little whacky at one time, and they thought I had hyperthyroid, but not the case.

I think it can be hard to detect in the blood. Testings just aren't that accurate.

So, yes keep pushing for testing, and change your Dr. as he doesn't seem very helpful to you.

Remember, we are our best advocate!

This is my opinion. Best of luck with this! Fran

Posts: 72 | From South Jersey | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks!

I am trying to change my doctor, but I won't be able to get into my new one until September.

But I can try a drop-in clinic. I just didn't want to unless it really was worth it, as the waiting time in the clinic is huge.

Ugh. I think I spend more time at the doctor's office than I do at home!

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually blood testing is generally fine for thyroid...you just can't rely on TSH alone....have to look at total T3 and T4 as well as free....

--------------------

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About ordering tests youself: Healtchcheckusa.com has a thyroid panel, TSH ft4 ft3 . They also have the old one with t3 uptake, which is an obolete name as it only measyres ft4 kinda backwards, do not choose that one.
Wwhat to look for: normal TSH is very close to 1, and ft4 and ft3 should be around mid-range in normal people. Should be in the upper half when people are taking thyroid hormones.

Often people have symptoms when TSH is above 2 to 2,5. In Germany some labs have lowerd the upper end of the reference range to 2,12, some to 2,5. One lab at least in the U.S. has also lowered the range to 2,5.

But many labs in the U.S. still have 5 or6 as the upper end. Many many people are quite ill at that level. Should be close to 1.

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blood testing for function is fine. But you can have a huge thyroid causing symptoms like you

describe and it will be missed if hormone levels are normal and if you don't have a good endo. I

had 2 prior to finding the best. He told me if I had seen him a lot sooner I would not have to be

having surgery to remove one so large. 9x7 and 9x4 on US. Surgeon said it was one of the largest he

had ever done. Endo told me if I had taken meds. it would have prevented it from growing. So if it

is a goiter you can catch it before that happens. Funny though I had many US's and biopsy before I

found one that knew this. Symptoms should not be ignored as some cancers are incidentally found this way.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmbl
Member # 20642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmbl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Graves Disease which its main symptom is the affects on the thyroid. The other posters are correct about the entire thyroid panel, T3 and T4 and TSH. Because even some of the panels can be normal when there is a problem, all need to be tested. Ask you doc for a full panel, or seek another doc or see an endocrinologist. Good luck!
Posts: 40 | From NJ | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get tested for TSH, free T3, free T4, and thyroid antibodies. If TSH >2.5, T3/T4 is near the bottom of range, or antibodies are high, ask for thyroid ultrasound.
Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Get tested for TSH, free T3, free T4, and thyroid antibodies. If TSH >2.5, T3/T4 is near the bottom of range, or antibodies are high, ask for thyroid ultrasound.

What exactly does it mean? My tsh is not above 2.5 (its 2.3 or so ) but my pcp who ran said its very close to the abnormal range. I have whole slew or endocrine problem ( low cortisol, low testosterone) and lately they actually went into severly abnormal range

Normal endo would probably treat them - except I don't trust them anymore , they did nothing but dismissing me when my labs were borderline , but symptoms were still there .

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, your TSH is close to abnormal.
Was the blood drawn in the morning, or afternoon? Afternoon numbers can be half the morning numbers...I had that. I was quite hypo when my TSH was 2,5. But then my ft4 was at the bottom of the range. Doctor dismissed there could be anything wrong with thyroid.
On the thyroid forums, they say go to the pharmacy ans ask which doctor prescribes Thyroid USP like Armour Thyroid, as those doctors tend to look more at the whole picture and not just numbers. Also, a D.O is trained to look at the whole picture.
These doctors are not endocrinologists. The later only look at numbers...
TSH is a pituitary hormone
ft4 is the prohormone, important to look at
ft3 is the actual hormone

In lyme, the thyroid hormones may not be working because the cells have resistance because of infection and cytokines. So your numbers might not be showing how you feel.

nora

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My T4 is within normal range, but very high normal. 10 something and below is normal(can't remember exact number) and mine is 10 something just within normal. This would indicate hyperthyroidism. However, every doctor says its normal.

I have lost weight, down to 105 lbs from 128 and I have horrible anxiety that I can't explain and severe fatigue that hasn't improved after 14 months of Lyme treatment. Also my throat always feels like its closing up, don't know if that is related or not.

After reading this thread, I wonder if I need to be on something for my thyroid. I am going to mention this to my LLMD next month.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

It's not always the thyroid either. Lyme screws with the entire HPA axis. If your cortisol tanked, adding more thyroid meds may just make you feel worse.

With hormones, always look at the big picture. Ultimately, if toxins are monkeying with receptors adding in hormones may do little to nothing until the infection/s is addressed and cleared...

It may be better to play the waiting game if your numbers are not severely off the charts bad...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement