LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mag-Tab SR

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mag-Tab SR
wiserforit2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone try the Mag-Tab SR from Burrascano's recommendations?

I just tried one on each of the past two days and it really affects me!

My muscle pain has stopped, joints ache less and I have energy. In fact, too much energy to sleep! I thought it would help me sleep, but it keeps me up.

Yowza! anyone else?

wiserforit2

Posts: 273 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have used it the whole time. it has always worked really well for me.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18286

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up....
Posts: 273 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick84
Member # 19365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rick84     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think i want to try this. where did you buy yours? online?
Posts: 3 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious if anyone has used it in comparison to other magnesium sources, and noticed any difference?

Logically, it shouldn't be any better than an Albion (magnesium glycinate) in regard to absorption. An orotate, or perhaps even malate or taurate would be similar.

Unless there is something special about the lactate form?

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lactate form is supposed to be better absorbed, according to Dr. B. Read about it in his treatment guidelines.

I've been using it. I can't really tell any difference with or without Mag supplement. But maybe it depends on whether an individual has a deficiency. Or maybe in my case it's very subtle.

It may help, so I use it. No downside except the price (compared to Mepron, it's nothing though).

James

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lactate form is better absorbed than the oxide or chloride form, yes.

But I have found no evidence that it is better absorbed than a glycinate or orotate. And it shouldn't necessarily be much better than a malate or taurate either.

Guess I just find it weird that Dr. B recommended that really hard to find form (one manufacturer), when there are like a million other glycinates, etc. available out there.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, some of his recommendations are suspect. For instance, he pushes Pharmanex products, and says to use HIS account number when ordering.

What he doesn't say is that Pharmanex is a notorious multi-level marketing company. And his "account" number means he's getting a commission from sales he promotes.

That doesn't mean they aren't great products, but every time there isn't FULL disclosure, red flags should go up.

I don't know if he has ties to Niche. But see how not being fully upfront can undermine confidence?

James

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stuff works well, its the best oral magnesium I took. The injections of mag sulfate were the BEST, but Mag Tab is indeed good. [Wink] Just ask your pharmacist to order you some.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to ask this, even though this has been discussed on Lymenet in other places....

..but do you all just not worry about that theory that magnesium feeds biofilms? As in, you have heard the theory, but you still choose to take magnesium during Lyme treatment?

I was avoiding Mag because of that biofilm theory, but I am starting to think that not taking Mag is bad for my body.

Magnesium helps energy production in the body. It is very important. So I'm thinking of going back on it.

Obviously if people can fully recover while taking Magnesium, it can't be that bad to take for the Lyme.

Kind of brings me to the topic of iron supposedly feeding babesia too. I get freaked out easily!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoosiers, tell me more about iron feeding babesia. I'm on iron tablets now because I'm mildly anemic. Is this something I should be avoiding?

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hoosiers, I got rid of lyme and I took magnesium throughout treatment except the month I was on levaquin, per doctor's orders.

It's been 4 years since I completed my lyme treatment and I am still symptom-free, enjoying my life. I don't do or take anything to keep lyme away, including supplements, etc.

I had lyme undiagnosed for about 10 years, and treated for a total of 3 years, so wouldn't that be long enough to assume I had biofilms?

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary,

That would be a question for your treating LLMD. I really do not know why it *supposedly* feeds babesia, aside from the fact that babesia exists in the red blood cells, which need iron.

If you are anemic, I would take iron, personally. I don't really think we can believe everything we hear.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i use the mag-SR. took me months to find out had to ask for it at pharm. counter. we even had the vitamin store try to order it and could not find it.

so- i have taken other mag supps and the mag-SR DOES decrease my muscle irritability

for me, does not make it go away and yes have taken till bowel tolerance too

so, i take about 4 tabs daily. add max-ox on herx time.

my neruo/muscle stuff is out of control for me. tons of muscle pain, stiffness,and twiching so anyone with any other ideas pls let me know!!

LLMD was going to try IV mag but ins. wont approve and we just cant afford it, period. already WAY over our head in medical debt this yr on me.

(and i am on the usuall rx as well: neurontin, baclofen, pain meds 3xdaily, soma at night, clonopin at night) personally- i am on enough meds to put a horse down!!! i still hurt and have muscle pain,joint,head pressure, stiffness, etc

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh- one more comment. as far as the pharmanex brand issue. (had same quest. when LLMD wanted me on the antiox stuff but ONLY order through name/# of certain rep..hhhmmmm)

but, the FLEX CREME is GREAT!!!!!!!!!! so= anyone having pain issues i DO recommend it.

i have tried every OTC thing there is, herbals, you name it!! that creme DOES help.

i started with knee pain over 3yrs ago that no dr could figure out. have hx of injury and surj. to this knee too. so- multipule rounds of steroids later knee is worse. and every dr scratches their head. well, now is lyme so yes we feed the infection in my knee.

now- i should work for the weather station bc i can give a 5 day forcast of rain.

this creme helps. i use it lots- keep jar in nightstand, purse. have had serveral family members use i and now order theirs too

i have NOT tried the other supps from pharmenex. buy stuff at store around the corner.

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

MY3BOYS:

Have you tried an Albion magnesium previously? The dose of Mag-Tab you are taking (336 mg elemental magnesium) daily isn't an especially large dose.

You may get better results taking 400-600mg elemental magnesium glycinate, or perhaps even magnesium malate (may help with muscles).

Magnesium orotate is also very well absorbed, perhaps even better than anything else, but the elemental dose per pill is small and it can be expensive.

Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you all LOOKED at the Niche Pharmaceuticals website? They have a web page designated to their MagTab SR product and how it works, and what makes it superior to other Mg supplements.

THAT is what Dr. B printed and showed to me, and although he strongly recommended the product, he did not care how or where I got it--he suggested I try getting it at WalMart (which I did, after asking the pharmacist to order it).

I know Dr. B did NOT get any kickbacks from all my MagTabs, (unless he had bought stock in Niche, which we all have the opportunity to do) .

I also know they made a miraculous difference, as I started with a severe deficiency, and the MagTabs quickly corrected it with no side effects.

If you are interested in the facts, go to this site:

http://www.niche-inc.com/niche/magtab.html

I hope there isn't anybody else out there who is avoiding Mg in a misguided effort to starve the spirochetes. That will only bring more harm to your body--it NEEDS Mg. How can you expect to beat this disease if you don't give your body the essential nutrients and minerals it needs to function?

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

One thing about magnesium that I've wondered about is if excess could be a bad thing.

I'm not talking about supplementing to correct a deficiency. And I would guess the majority of Lyme people are deficient. But there could possibly be a cut-off once the deficiency is corrected, where extra magnesium in a person is a bad thing. But that may only occur with large dosing perhaps (above RDA dosing for long periods). Or it could be a meaningless thought of mine...

And there is nothing wrong with magnesium lactate. It has been studied against mag chloride and oxide and proven superior to both. But again, there is no evidence that it's better than an Albion chelate. And yes, I've read the data at the Niche website.

MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the first I have heard of Mag-SR. Im still learning ... do I actually need to get a prescription from my doctor to order it.

Been taking Magnesium Malate as prescribed by LLMD, but I really would like to take something that absorbs well. It helps with fast heart beat. Thanks.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No prescription needed for Mag-tab SR. You just ask for it at the pharmacy counter and they have to order it for you.

Tell them the manufacturer is Niche.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks TF [Smile]
Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the info on how to get it is in my post above

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

lpkayak... Yes maybe that would be faster. Thanks. Has everyone found Mag-tab SR to be more helpful than other brands? Ive only used Magnesium Malate.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement