LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Good Lyme book

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Good Lyme book
Cindy Ss
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on books to absorb information as well as treatment.

I just received the book "The Lyme Disease Solution" by Kenneth Singleton MD. Has anyone ever heard of this Dr. opinion and is it accurate and/or knowledgeable?

THank for your help.

CIndyS

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cindy,

I haven't read that book. But I think the most important book out there is Cure Unknown, Inside the Lyme Epidemic by Pam Weintraub.

She researches the whole story of lyme including how it became the medical "controversy" that it is. She also explains the different treatment methods.

Very well written, and easy to read.

It should be a primer for everyone with lyme.

Here is an interview with the author from the NYC NPR:

http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/episodes/2008/07/01/segments/102534

Good luck,

James

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good. It doesn't address really specific tx stuff quite as much as I had hope (book says "it is beyond the scope of this book"), but is a great start, esp. for nutritional info, as well as background, morphs, etc.

Dr. S is a pretty sought-after LLMD around the mid-Atlantic region. You can also sign up for his newsletter free online via his website.

[ 08-06-2009, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Dawn in VA ]

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know Dr. Singleton, and think very highly of him, but I have not read his book. I need to get hold of a copy.

I have, however, read the book James refers to,"Cure Unknown, Inside the Lyme Epidemic" by Pam Weintraub. In my opinion, for anybody wanting to get educated about all the facts about Lyme, this book is a MUST READ.

Weintraub spent years researching for this book, interviewed scores of people involved in every aspect of treating, researching, or dealing with Lyme, including some from the other side, who insist we are all basically insane or misdiagnosed.

You know who I'm talking about probably: those people on the IDSA panel that we love to hate. She spoke with everyone from Willy Bergdorfer to Wormser, as well as some of our most beloved LLMDs, research scientists involved in Lyme studies, and included heart wrenching stories of several Lyme patients.

The book not only explains Lyme disease in depth, it also provides a wealth of information on the history of Lyme, stuff well beyond the usual story that is known. It addresses the many controversies surrounding Lyme, how Steere went from being the savior who "discovered" this disease, to the person who is so reviled now and why, and the latest studies under way, among other things.

It is the most comprehensive book on Lyme I've read yet, it is very well written, and I found it riveting--better than the best mystery or thriller because it is REAL.

I used it as a source for a paper I wrote on chronic Lyme (I'm a nursing student), but I would have read it no matter what.

I'm willing to bet that no matter how much you know about Lyme, this book will teach you something new.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

i've not read ken's book yet.

finished pam's cure unknown last week; and it's easy reading bouncing from 1 person's story to another.

frankly, the most COMPREHENSIVE BOOK to date is PJ LANGHOFF'S .... THE BAKER'S DOZEN, LUNATIC FRINGE...JUNK SCIENCE .... ALL ABOUT THE IDSA!!!

she has over 1000 links REFUTING idsa's comments from their studies, etc. PACKED in small print so much per page of 535 plus pages.

i'm only half done with pj's, but it's mighty impressive!! i had to order a magnifying glass to be able to read pj's as it is small print for my LOW VISION.

to person posting, please edit your title and add NAME OF THE BOOK to subject line by clicking on pencil, 3rd box to right of your name in your 1st post.

huge thanks; saves us time since we cna't read everyone's posts in our limited time here. [Smile] hugs

Renee K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Renee K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Singleton's book is good for nutritional support and diet plans

Explains treatment options other than antibiotics but still believes antibiotics are a necessary part of treatment

Posts: 130 | From Central NY | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The book clearly covers Abx treatment too and doesn't show preference for herbals/naturals over standard Abx IMO.

My only problem was the author portrayed curing TBIs to be WAY too easy. Either he's a superstar LLMD or his patients were not representative of those here.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bettyg, I have not read PJ Langhoff's latest, so I'm not in a position to compare it to "Cure Unknown," but I don't think you're giving Weintraub's book enough credit.

It's a lot more than "bouncing from one person's story to another." It covers many, many important topics related to Lyme, including the IDSA.

Langhoff's book may contain many more details concerning the IDSA, but Weintraub certainly gives you plenty of info concerning that group to give the reader an accurate picture.

When I get the time, I want to read Langhoff's book, too. I'd been talking to my LLMD about it. But please don't discourage others from reading Weintraub's. It has a lot to offer, in my opinion.

In addition, the original poster was asking for opinions on the best books that would provide info on Lyme and its treatment. I'm not so sure a book that focuses on the IDSA is the best place for someone like that to start.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cindy Ss
Unregistered

Yes I agree with info in Singltons book, I just read it today and I will now get the other "cure unkown" seems like I may need to read it.

THank you

Cindy

bettyg
Unregistered

maryland mom,

i was NOT discouraging readers from pam's book...

i was merely pointing out a few differences.

BOTH ARE WONDERFUL. so yyou have misunderstood what i was trying to say.

my neuro lyme is really bad and finding it difficult to put into words what my mind is saying ok.

peace [Smile]

Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

bettyg,
Sorry about the misunderstanding; I hope I did not offend or upset you.

Sorry to hear you're struggling so with the neuro Lyme. I can certainly identify with how hard that can make it to communicate your thoughts and feelings accurately.

Hope you feel better soon.

northstar
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both "Cure Unknown" (Weintraub) and "Baker's Dozen & The Lunatic Fringe" (Langhoff) are great. Lyme issues (testing, chronicity, IDSA double speak,etc) are addressed in both books, but with a different style.

Langhoff has absolutely dissected testing and
the IDSA conflicts, including circumstances around the Dearborne Conference in relation to the failed vaccine, with copious
references.

The ELISA and Western blot information might be invaluable if one needs to communicate with doctors. It is a more technical approach but the detail provided more than makes up for the mental effort it took me to read it. From what I read, her information was provided to the Conn. AG.

She deserves a hearty thanks for wading through the details and science, including hidden gems, and for making it available to the public.

Nice to see it all in one place, too. Excellent resource.

I loved Cure Unknown too. I am glad I read it first, then get into the Baker's Dozen, since Cure Unknown seems to lay the groundwork for the scientific detail of Baker's Dozen. They go well together, and both are invaluable reads.

North

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cindy Ss
Unregistered

Can you get the Cure Unknown at your local libray or bookstore that you know of?

CIndyS

aklnwlf
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read mine as soon as I got it and found it to be helpful.

In fact, I just quoted a portion of it on another thread here, for someone having a problem with LDN therapy.

I think my favorite parts were the treatment protocols. It was revealing to me to see how other LLMD's treat Lyme, Bart, etc. compared to the treatment I received from my own LLMD.

I refer to this book periodically since I've bought it.

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6148 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

I found "Cure Unknown" at the main branch of our local public library.
bettyg
Unregistered

maryland mom,

so glad we got that straightened out as i love BOTH BOOKS; each in their own ways.

northstar ... great summary, and i could have never have done what pj has done!!

you can order from amazon; a portion goes to dr. charles ray jones, kids llmd LEGAL DEFENSE FUND! [Smile]

HAPPY READING EVERYONE.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement