LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Has anyone had results with Alinia? Alinia vs Flagyl?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Has anyone had results with Alinia? Alinia vs Flagyl?
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

My doc was going to start me on Flagyl but people are freaking me out with the side effects. I have placed an order for Alinia but have not taken it yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl rules, Alinia, didnt do much.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewreck36
Member # 4395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewreck36     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl is necessary but remain attentive to burning sensations as side effects. Could be damage, could be a herx.

Alinia, I have begun using it and find it not so helpful.

mary

Posts: 1032 | From North Carolina | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long have you been on Alinia?
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverpatrol
Member # 12182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverpatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on Alinia since May. My doc rx'd it specifically for babesia, although I have heard that some use it as a cyst-buster. From what I have seen, if you don't have babesia, you won't notice much difference with Alinia. But, if you do have babesia, Alinia will knock you on your butt.

I had been on flagyl prior to the Alinia, and stopped flagyl when I started Alinia. At first I herxed on flagyl, but nothing as significant as on Alinia.

Posts: 69 | From So Cal | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Thanks River Patrol. That is very useful information and makes sense to me. That could explain why some people have no reaction to the drug. It has to do something for $1,200 a bottle;)

I finally ended up taking Flagyl and it's not as bad as I had suspected although it does make you tired.

How long have you been on Alinia and do you think it is helping?

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD prescribed Alinia for parasites, not Babesia. I'd already done a long course of Mepron/Zith for Babesia.

I had a very, very bad reaction to Flagyl many years ago--global transient amensia, meaning I didn't even know where I was or what I was doing.

I did get a good result on the parasites.

Of course, there are much less expensive anti-parasite treatments out there. I had good health care coverage at the time, so it was cost-effective.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverpatrol
Member # 12182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverpatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Haley:
Thanks River Patrol...

How long have you been on Alinia and do you think it is helping?

I have been on Alinia since late-May. Doc wants to keep me on it for another month.

Yes, it definitely has helped. At first it magnified many sxs that previously were hardly noticeable, and the herxes were like clock-work every 9 days. The first few herxes were debilitating, but when I came out of them I could tell that I was stronger than before. Now the herxes are hardly noticeable, and I am definitely better than before treatment. No more night sweats; better energy and stamina - less fatigued; clearer-headed.

I still have quite a way to go before being back to 'normal', but the tx with Alinia obviously addressed a layer of my illness that was keeping me from progressing to wellness.

BTW - I did not experience ANY side effects with Alinia, in fact it has been the easiest rx taken so far. Normally I have to extremely cautious about yeast, but on the Alinia yeast has not been an issue: I can eat bread occasionally and sugar without the yeastie beastie rearing it's ugly head.

Posts: 69 | From So Cal | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Thanks for the feedback Cass A. Yes it's true, I am on Flagyl and I don't know where I am. I am hanging in there and hoping that will subside when I stop the drug.

I will hopefully try the Alinia after the Flagyl.

springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are your Flagyl Dosages ?? And anyone on IV Flagyl? Dosages?
Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All--

Alinia was the first med my LLMD gave me
before taking Lyme and Babs tests-

The first dose hit me Real hard-herxed -
was kind of scary because I had never herxed before-

Alinia fixed my stomach problems in one week-
One 500mg Alinia per day for 57 days-
Kill off all of my stomach parasites -

I did several rounds of 1 week of alinia
about 2 months apart just to make sure
to keep parasites gone--

I have read some posts about people taking
Alinia for babs but I dont think there
is a clear answer to its effectiveness yet-

I cant say if it helped my Babs or not-

Flagyl is taken to stir the bugs up so
that they come out of cysts form-

I herxed perty hard the first time I took Flagyl-
Lasted about 3 weeks or so -

The main thing you want to watch for is
that it can Really scramble your thought process-

And can make you really Depressed and have
wacky thoughts--

It is Important to have someone keep
a eye on you while you are taking Flagyl
and for a month or so after you stop taking it--

Some of the Wackiest things I have read on LN
were written by people when taking Flagyl-
some of it made Zero since --

--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement