LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » starting Bicillin injestions today at ID

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: starting Bicillin injestions today at ID
wendihk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wendihk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm starting bicillin today at the infectious disease doctor.

It would appear that my insurance is paying for it because I finally got CDC positive results.

I am scared about what it is going to do to me.

What should I expect?

I have acute and chronic lyme that manifests itself as small joint pain(fingers and wrist), tiredness, stomach problems, and anxiety.

I am on Klonopin and an antidepressant.

What's going to happen?

Posts: 114 | From New York | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wendihk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20554

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wendihk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plus, it's my birthday.
Posts: 114 | From New York | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday!!!

I've never done Bicillin so I can't comment on that.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday. I have been on the shots for over a year. I have also taken them in the past when I get real bad. The worst thing is how big the needle is and how thick the medicine. Remember to keep them in the refrig. Before you get a shot warm it up with your hands and inject slowly. Then rub the area, it will be sore, even the next day. Alternate hips. I have always had good luck with the shots.

I never even had a bad herx with them. Good luck, feel free to i.m. me if you want.

Jasek

Posts: 161 | From midwest | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did bicillin shots for several months, never had any problems. Everyone is different. I have been on aggresive treatment for over a year with no improvement. Just started IV Rocephin 2 wks ago, my first noticeable change.

What I am saying is that they didn't do anything for me, but nothing else did either.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing except pain in butt .Literally [Smile] If you lucky improvement in sx. Well that is if you are not alergic
Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday!!!

The Bicillin seems to be helping me, or at least doing something. It's producing herxes.

I would recommend for your first shot that you lie stomach down while getting the shot. It may hurt...so the slower they go, the better. The injection can take 3-5 minutes, of just slowly pushing the med in.

Rarely, people will have a reaction and almost faint during it, which did happen to me. It isn't due to being afraid; it can happen from having a needle of that size, that deep in the muscle, until your body is used to it. So that is why I recommend you lay instead of stand. I probably wouldn't have felt so weak if I was laying.

My second shot went fine.

I am a small person and have small muscles, so they are kind of painful for me, but I put prescription numbing cream on there an hour before the shot, and that helps. Didn't have that luxury for my first one though.

Please don't let this scare you...they're really great for some people. Good luck!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IM Bicillin is a wonderful med for many people. I am currently on my second round. Some shots are painful, but for me, it is mainly the stinging of the medicine rather than the needle itself.

Be sure to use the Rx numbing creme, then ice the area. Afterward, it helps to walk around a bit to disperse the medicine and work the muscle... then use a heating pad.

It truly isn't all that bad, once the idea of the needles are accepted.

If you do a search here, there a a few really good informative posts about Bicillin injection procedures. It is very important to have a professional do the injections or train someone else to use proper procedures.

Knowing where to locate the placement of the shots and remembering to aspirate are extremely imperative. This is something not to be taken lightly, as severe complications can ensue if done incorrectly.

Good luck,
M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wendihk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20554

I just did the injection. No numbing creams, no compresses, just took it like a man (I'm not a man though)

The doctor had me lift my left foot off the ground and stuck it in my upper left hip.

(I'm 5'10" and 115 lbs so there is not a whole lot of meat to put it in)

It felt like I walked into a hornets nest and they all stung me in the same spot.

She completed it in about 20 seconds. I limped down the stairs and broke into tears as I retreated to my car.

I used the heated seats on the way back to work but it hurt like a mother.

I guess if I could take that I could take just about anything and I have broken legs before.

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you didn't faint!

Next time you can inform them that if they inject over a period of about 3 minutes, it will be less painful.

Hopefully they will be willing to do that for you. I'm not sure if it makes the absorption any better, but it will help the pain.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!! I know it isn't easy, and it must have hurt going in so quickly.

I would also ask for the prescription cream (you'd have to pick it up at the pharmacy, and keep it at home). It's lidocaine with something else. You can put it on an hour before you show up for your shot. I bet it would help.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wendihk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20554

Thanks for all of the advice.

I didn't feel any different until today. I have a massive headache. Don't know if it is a "herx" or just Monday morning blahs.

At least now I am prepared for what to expect next Friday.

Doctor stated that she would not treat for more than 3 months. She is ID.

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by wendihk:
Thanks for all of the advice.

Doctor stated that she would not treat for more than 3 months. She is ID.

Anytime you see a set schedule like 3 months, you should run, and run fast, because there is no set schedule for treating Lyme disease. No 2 patients are alike, and no doctor should set up a "3 months" schedule for ANYONE.

WHat are you doing with an ID doc? If you want to get better then you better get out of there.

Why is it only one shot per week???? For the first shot then yes, but Bicillin at 1.2 MU is 2-4x per week, not once. It should be 2.4 MU Bicillin LA if that is your dose.

Educate yourself. If you want to get better, you should know better by now. I know you are new to this, and asking questions about the shot, but focus more on why it is important to get proper treatment, and that if you do inadequate doses, and suddenly stop after 3 months if you are not cured, you could be asking for a world of trouble. Bicillin is rarely used alone. You need to target all forms of Lyme and test and treat co-infections.

You have alot of reading to do!!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found taking a nice hot bath after the injection helped ease the pain. I prefered that the injection be given quickly. as far as a herx I just got really tired and fatigued more than the uaual.

good luck.

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joalo
Member # 12752

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joalo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy belated birthday!! [kiss]

I've been getting bicillin shots twice a week for eleven months. I found that icing the area for five minutes before the injection helps tremendously.

I've noticed slow improvement on bicillin and it never made me herx.

--------------------
Sick since January 1985. Misdiagnosed for 20 years. Tested CDC positive October 2005. Treating since April 2006.

Posts: 3228 | From Somewhere west of the Mississippi | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wendihk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20554

Has anyone found the correct location in the rear to give the shot?

I have very little backside and the doctor gave it right below where my belt would be.

It seems like a very small muscle.

Where have you guys gotten the shot in the rear?

Anyone in a lower area.

I am hoping to find a better spot for the next injection.

I had pain shooting all the way up my back from the last one.

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you received the shot in the dorsogluteal (butt) site. The dorsogluteal and ventrogluteal (hip) sites are the best for large injections.

You could try asking your doctor or nurse to use the ventrogluteal site next time. It is located more in the side hip area rather than the back hip/butt area.

I found the ventrogluteal (hip) sites to be much less painfull than the dorsogluteal (butt) sites.

This website has some pictures and a video showing you how to give a ventrogluteal injection.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Ventrogluteal-Injection

Make sure that the nurse or doctor injects the medication slowly, over a couple minutes. After the injection is done, walk around for a few minutes then apply heat to the site. You can also take some ibuprofen 30min prior to the visit to prevent inflammation and pain. These are the things that I found to be most helpful.

Many others have used Bicillin. If you run a quick search you should be able to find a wealth of information on it.

Take care.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasek
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12395

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wendihk LISTEN to Wildcondor. He is right!!!! [Frown]
Posts: 161 | From midwest | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceysa
Member # 22409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traceysa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started bicillin this week.
The first shot wasn't that bad,I had built my self up so much for it to be really bad,and it was not near as bad as I thought it would be.
I just had my second shot about 35 minutes ago,
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was sooooooo much worse,I seriously cried for about 20 minutes after!!
I consider myself to have a high tolerence for pain,I have had three children two 100% natural!
I am not sure if I can do this,it is just so insane.
Someone please tell me it gets better--please!!!
Tracey

Posts: 9 | From Maryland | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I consider myself to have a high tolerence for pain,I have had three children two 100% natural!
I am not sure if I can do this,it is just so insane.
Someone please tell me it gets better--please!!!

I wonder if you can mix it with lidocaine.

Ask your doctor -lidocaine makes IM injections painless

Plus maybe 2nd shot hit something like a nerve? Or the muscle was tense?- shouldnt be that much of a difference

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Traceysa
Member # 22409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Traceysa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure either why it hurt so much more then the first one,but it did for sure.
Ironically it doesn't hurt nearly as much today,as the first one did the day after!
I have heard about the lidocaine,but not sure if that would be helpful to me or not,see the needle isn't what hurts me at all,it is the pain of the medicine going in over three minutes that is just about unbearable!
I have been iceing the area for a good 20 minutes before the injection,so I think that is why the needle hasn't bothered me at all.
Last night it seemed to hurt more as soon as the needle was in,so I had my husband take it out and put it in another spot,that one hurt after the med started to go in,and it didn't let up for about 2 hours after.
I must say that i was very tense,and squirmed around quite a bit,so maybe I just did it to myself.
All I do know,it I am not looking forward to tomorrows shot at all!!!

Posts: 9 | From Maryland | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

quote:

I have heard about the lidocaine,but not sure if that would be helpful to me or not,see the needle isn't what hurts me at all,it is the pain of the medicine going in over three minutes that is just about unbearable!

Yeah lidocaine is exactly for that (preventing pain from irritation caused by medicine) . I had some cephalosporin shots one mixed with lidocaine and another with water - like light and day , one I barely felt, the other ones hurt for a while (and during injection as well). I know though that you cant mix some drugs with lidocaine, - so check with Dr about it

Also being tense is no good because pain is partially caused by pressure of liquid going in , I even read something that tense tissues can be damaged by pressure from medication alone and causing infiltrates , bumps etc (hence reason they recommend no more than 5 ml for IM per site)

Traceysa
Member # 22409

I will certainly ask about that.
The shots I get are already mixed,all we do is put the needle on,so I am not sure how we could add the lidocaine.
I am just not sure I can continue this course if the pain persists.
My piccline is a piece of cake compared to this stuff.
Thanks so much for your suggestions,I really appreciate them!!

AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday! [Smile]

I don't think I'd want a shot in my behind for a birthday present. [shake] Though I guess if it meant getting rid of Lyme, it WOULD be a good gift choice. [Roll Eyes]

Somehow, I would think that heat, to relax the muscle, would be more helpful than ice with an IM injection.

Perhaps ice briefly afterward, to bring down inflammation, then heat.

I have no experience with IM injections though. I'm just speculating.

I wonder if anyone else has tried heat before the injection, then cold afterward, then heat again.

Perhaps an anti-inflammatory taken about a 1/2 hour before might also be helpful to minimize the reaction. I wonder if that's been tried by anyone.

I'd be very interested to know if that might actually prove helpful. Theoretically, it makes sense to me.

[confused]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wendihk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20554

wildcondor & jasek-
I had a terrible experience at a well know LLMD. Too many patients and they neglected my blood sepsis writing it off as a "herx".

I tried going to a homeopath for a while and she was able to help me to a degree.

The ID doctor I am seeing now is not in denial about my problem. She is willing to help me any way that she can.

We are both hoping that with the Bicillin it will get me to a point where I can tolerate oral ABX. The lyme attacked my Vagus nerve (ie. my stomach) and I cannot take a potent concoction given by the LLMDS.

They gave me a handful of prescriptions and I walked out of there knowing that my body would not tolerate any of it.

At least I have someone that is treating me as an individual and is aware of my limitations.

Traceysa
Member # 22409

So I called my doctor about the shots being so painfull,and he said there is nothing I can do about it!
I also asked if I could skip them while out of town for a week and he said absolutley not,I must do all three shots even when out of town or I will mess up the course!
I am so worried about that,my husband who has been giving me my shots so far,will not be traveling with me,so I have no clue who will give them to me.
Tonight will be shot #3--I am praying to God it isn't as bad as shot #2 was.

coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

quote:

I am so worried about that,my husband who has been giving me my shots so far,will not be traveling with me,so I have no clue who will give them to me.

Well you can do IM shots yourself, I personally dunno though If I would have guts to do something like bicillin .
Traceysa
Member # 22409

OOOOH NOOO I can not do it!!
I know that sounds like a big baby,but I know I could not do it.
I can barely sit still for my husband to do it.
Ugh,I just wish I could figure out how to make them less painful,so many other people do it and swear it is virtually pain free.
I have only done two shots,so maybe it will get better,but surely not before I go away next week!!
Thanks for the suggestions.
wendihk: how are you doing with your injections so far?

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jasek:
Wendihk LISTEN to Wildcondor. He is right!!!! [Frown]

Yes, SHE is right!! What will you do when the shots are "done"?
Is this dr willing to follow up with orals?

Not all LLMD's are created equal. They are all very different.

Did you find your birthday greetings over in General Support?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Lymetoo! LOL

If Lyme attacked your vagus nerve, that is very serious and you need serious medicine to fix that. 3 months of Bicillin given most likely the wrong way will not solve anything. Your bad experience with a LLMD is unfortunate, why don't you just try another one? That 3 month treatment is a huge red flag for an incompetent doctor, nice and helpful does not equate to proper treatment and a cure.

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
happy belated birthday wendi [Smile] hugs
wendihk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20554

I did my second bicillin shot today and it actually went much better.

When she stuck it in I did this wild involuntary "kick" to the side. Kind of reminded me of a horse doing a "cow kick". You horse people will know what I mean.

The doctor is funny, she is a horse person also so she was probably thinking I almost cow kicked her too.

I talked to her more about ongoing treatment and she is not necessarily stopping @ 3 months but is working with what my body will tolerate.

All the other people who post on here that are on a multitude of drugs probably don't work full time, own a horse farm and have a child.

I am not willing to lose my job, house, and life because some doctor loads me up with a concoction of drugs and then not be available for questions when my body reacts.

I have done a lot of research and I think I am doing what works best for ME.

Traceysa
Member # 22409

Glad to hear your second shot went smoothly!!!!

I am maybe having either an allergic reaction,or just a bad herx,so my doctor has stopped my shots until I see him in early October.

I can't say that I am sad to not have to do the painful shots three times a week,but if it is a herx,it makes me sad to think I am quitting just when it is begining to work.

I hope you continue to do well,are you only doing one shot per week??
Maybe if/when I resume mine I should start with one a week and then build up to three.

All I know is I feel HORRIBLE today,and this tingling in my hands,arms,feet,legs and face is driving me insane!!

Take care,
Tracey

levity101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 1528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for levity101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad the second shot was better. I've given the shots to my son and husband.

We tried ice-ing the area with my son and he has small muscles, I think it made it harder to inject with the muscle cold.

We had some Emla cream left over from my son that I use with my husband and it numbs the skin well if you put it on an hour before--makes a big difference--don't feel the needle stick at all. Maybe she would give you a script.

There's no need to stand up--that's what I understood you were doing..and lifting your leg would actually engage the muscle when you want it to be relaxed. On your stomach with toes turned inward to stop the muscles from engaging has worked well for us. You don't want to go low on the hip or you risk impacting the sciatic nerve.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with this doctor--best of luck. The bicillin is helping my husband...takes time.

Posts: 688 | From Florida | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hereigoagain
Member # 17663

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hereigoagain   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nurse at my LLMD office told me to ice the area 1/2 prior to shots.

Some days were worse than others, but for the most part, it was not bad at all.

Try to find an ice pack that is flexible or moldable and use that, stick it down your pants
so it stays close to your butt.

Also, I stood but leaned over on the bed and put all of my weight on the opposite side so the muscle was relaxed.

Hope this helps, hope the bicillin does too!

--------------------
-01/11 IGeneX Test:IgM 30+,31IND,34++,39IND,41+,45++,58++
IgG 18+,31+++,34+,41++
- 07/10 RMSF+
- 05/09 CDC positive WB IgM 39 & 41, IgG 41
- 07/08 EBV+
- 11/07 CMV & Parvo +
- 11/01 CDC positive WB IgM 39&41m IgG18

Posts: 64 | From NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wendi,

Bicillin was a breeze for me, I preferred it to swallowing pills. I was, however undertreated. 1.2 mu per week is usually a starting dose, your doc should move up. Unfortunately, I had a LLMD who only did 1.2 mu week and after 15 weeks said that it wasn't doing anything.

All of those pokes for nothing.

I remember your story about your sepsis with one of the docs in UOS. Not acceptable. I understand completely your wanting to develope a relationship with a doctor who has the time to be personal with you.

I have had to change doctors because of this as well.

Good luck and Godspeed,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement