LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » *Urgent* Prayer needed, PICC leaking

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: *Urgent* Prayer needed, PICC leaking
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please pray for me.

I finished my Rocephin infusion at about 10pm. Everything was fine until I tried to flush the line.

There was no resistance when I pushed the syringe, I just noticed that the dressing felt a little wet afterwards. I looked and to my surprise it was actually wet (an area a little larger than the biopatch). It was not wet prior to the flushes.

Since it was damp I knew that I had to change the dressing and I needed to see if there was a hole or crack in the line so that I could clap it if necessary. Nothing was visible when I removed the dressing.

Tried to flush the line (gently, just a few drops) so that I could see where the leak was and the saline simply came back out of the insertion site. Again no pain, no resistance.

So I called my grandma (an RN, used to work with cancer patients) she said that the line probably clotted off. Said to finish the dressing change and call my doctor tomorrow.

Can I cry now? I have 28days worth of IV Rocephin in my fridge! My arm is finally healing from the skin yeast infection and now this. I just can't handle it right now. I can't afford any more problems.

Please please pray for me. I will call the doctor first thing in the morning. Unfortunately my LLMD is in NY so arranging anything here in OH is quite an ordeal.

I'm hoping that if it is a clot that maybe my LLMD can arrange a visit with a home health nurse to administer a clot busting medication. I don't know how effective they are but i'd like to give it a try before pulling the line.

Whatever the problem is i'm hoping and praying that will be resolved easily.

Does anyone have any experience with problems like this? Any advice?

More than anything I just really need your prayerful support tonight. Thanks so much.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Sammy, what a zany time you've had with your PICC. I am so sorry for you.

I had 3 clots develop, though not in the PICC itself- around it, and I would advise not messing with any-clot-anything. If you have to have the line pulled, they can re-insert one in your other arm very soon, perhaps on the same day.

Prayers and hugs for you tonight.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sammy,

Consider yourself 'prayed for.' Take care and God bless.

Linky

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SarBear
Member # 21196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SarBear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had lots of problems with my picc line. In fact, I have had 4 since April. Generally if it is a clot, they will try to bust it with Heparin or something else. If all else fails, they will probably take it out and put a new one in the other arm. I will pray for you and hopefully you will get some answers! God bless!
Posts: 49 | From Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have some kind of enzyme that they put in the line, let it sit for a while, then draw it back out.

It scared the heck out of me when I went through it. The words "clot in the line" were unnerving.

It really didn't seem to be a big deal. I'll say a prayer for you, but I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine.

I just looked up the name. The stuff my nurse used to declot my line was Cathflo Activase.

I don't know what kind of PICC you have. Mine was a Bard Groshong. That kind has a valve to prevent backflow.

A covering nurse clamped the line when she did a dressing change. That caused the clot by applying slight pressure, forcing the valve to remain open. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammy,

I will pray for you and hope that all goes well today with as little complications as possible.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your prayers [Smile] It's been a rough day.

I called my LLMD's office first thing this morning. There was the typical back and forth between several nurses before I finally heard from the doctor several hours later.

He does not think that it is clotted, he said it sounds like there may be a crack or break in the line itself. He wanted the PICC pulled today.

Unfortunately that is not going to happen. My family doctor refused to pull the line. I don't know if he simply had no appts left (which is typical) or if he felt uncomfortable with the procedure itself. Whatever the reason he told me to go to the ER. Then I was told that my insurance would not cover an ER visit because this is not considered an "emergency".

So I eventually found a home health care agency willing to work with me and my out of state LLMD. After much back and forth i'm finally scheduled to have a nurse visit tomorrow.

Makes me nervous having to wait until tomorrow to have the broken line removed. Hopefully nothing will happen while I wait.

Tomorrow I will have to call my LLMD again because he wants another PICC inserted ASAP but this home health care agency does not insert PICC lines. My current problem PICC was ordered by my now uncooperative family doc. I'm not sure if the hospital will accept the order from my out of state LLMD. So this is another prayer concern.

And to top it all off I got to talk with the insurance company again today. That alone was enough to make my day sour as they continue to deny coverage for my medication.

It's hard being sick and having to deal with all this craziness!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you had described was what happened to ME when my line clotted.

How does he feel you would have broken the line? Did you do something to your arm?

I'm really curious as to why he wouldn't think a clot was possible.

Your insurance MAY cover a Home Health care nurse even though they're not covering the medication.

You should check with them & see if they would cover a visit for a problem with the PICC line.

[confused]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

AliG, I didn't ask why he thought break over clot. Maybe because I could flush the line with no resistance, wouldn't a clot cause resistance? My problem is when I try to flush the line some of the saline comes back out through the insertion site.

I really don't know what to think about this because I had no experience with PICC lines prior to having my own.

A nurse is scheduled to come to my house tomorrow to pull the line. I'll try to get her to check it out and troubleshoot a bit before actually pulling it.

I hate to have the PICC pulled because I really don't want to get another one put in. I just want to be done with IV's. But so far this has been the best medicine for me so I need to stick with it until my doc say i'm ready to go back to orals.

AliG
Member # 9734

Hmmm.... I would think that there would be resistance with a clot. I must have missed that.

If it was a midline & your shoulder was sore, I'd say possibly inflammation of the vein. I had that one too. [Roll Eyes]

With a PICC though, I don't believe inflammation would cause the backwash down the vein because it empties right above the chamber of your heart.

Maybe it's the in the connection at the end & the nurse could replace that part. ??? I snapped the line off & the ER had to do a repair for me.

Do you have a Groshong? You must, because otherwise I would think blood would backflow at the site of the leak and you would see that.

Well I'm still hoping & praying for you that there's some way to fix the problem without having to get it pulled & replaced.

I remember that feeling all too well. [Frown]
Given the choice of stopping treatment or having my PICC line repeatedly replaced, I'd still subject myself to the PICC placements and I'M a NEEDLEPHOBE!!!! [Eek!]

It was worth all the sticks. [Smile]

Good luck with your nursing visit tomorrow. [group hug]

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [kiss] sending you morale support...
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammy....So sorry you are having so many problems. I haven't had a chance to be on LN for awhile.

I had a problem over the weekend and had to spend 6 hrs in the ER. My picc was bleeding, don't know why and guess I never will.

Have another busy day, but will PM you soon. I think it sounds like we may have the same LD. I had to have my picc put in at a hosp near him, couldn't have it done here.

Thinking of you.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Thank you all for your well wishes and prayerful support. I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciate it.

I had my PICC line pulled today. Apparently there was a little tiny crack in the line. The nurse and I examined at it after it was pulled, it looked perfect but it leaked when we ran some saline through. Bummer. I was still hoping that it would magically fix itself while I slept last night!

So, now I have to get another PICC placed. I'm really not looking forward to it but I know that I need it to continue treatment. Hopefully my doctor's office and the hospital will get everything worked out soon so that I can get the procedure done and over with.

Seems like God knew what he was doing when my doctor told me to take a medical leave of absence this month. Last week I started new meds and ended up sleeping most of my days away. This week i've had to deal with the PICC problems. Hopefully i'll be able to rest and recuperate over the next two weeks. I really need to get back to work ASAP.

Keltyl, how are you doing? I'm sorry to hear that you've had PICC problems too.

This has been a rough month for many of us here on LN.

2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad things are better Sammy. [group hug]

Been thinking about you.

Prayers for faster healing and no more IV bumps in the road....

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nurse comes tomorrow, so hopefully she'll have some insight on this. It doesn't feel right, and sa little sore like when it was first done. I've been trying to figure this out, and think maybe it's the way they placed the bandage at the ER.

I'll be so upset if I have to have it pulled. Everything went so well the first 2 weeks. I am wondering too, if I'm using my arm too much but life has to go on.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement