LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ADRENAL ATTACKS??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ADRENAL ATTACKS??
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, these weird "attacks" I keep getting are totally disrupting my quality of life. I'd say they are one of my biggest problems to date. They kind of resemble low blood sugar attacks, but they aren't. I get really shaky, weak, and kinda jittery and jumpy. It's almost like I've had too much caffeine. They come on suddenly and totally wipe me out. I've been getting several a day. WHAT ARE THESE??? I asked my LLMD and he didn't supply me with much info. He just told me to eat smaller meals more often. Well I have and it doesn't help.

the more I and researching, I've read other lymies get these same "attacks". I think it may have something to do with Adrenal problems which I've read are common on Lyme. Does anyone know much about this??

I asked my GP to test my adrenals and she said my symptoms don't match. But I think they do. She ordered a morning cortisol test, but I haven't been able to get in early enough to do it. I think I'll have my LLMD run some tests on it next appt to. I really think if these would go away or lessen I'd feel A LOT better.

Anyways, I'm hoping someone can help with this

--------------------
IgeneX IGG POS 30+ 31++++ 41++
IGM 30+ 31+++ 34IND 41IND 83-93IND
Quest NEG IGG 30 and 41 only

Posts: 538 | From Everywhere | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do experience what you have but normally it's mild and mostly it's just in the morning. Haven't been able to figure out what it is.

If you suspect your adrenal glands you should consider seeing an Endocrinologist as they specialize in the adrenal glands. They will give you a cortisol test and a few other tests to see if there's anything wrong with your adrenals.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Gary. I see you are from OK. We don't live there anymore, but I beleive that is where I got infected.

I think I do need to see an Endo.

--------------------

Posts: 538 | From Everywhere | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, we live in OK where the doctors here claim there's no Lyme disease. We used to live in Sulphur next to the Chickasaw National Park. That's where my wife got bit by a tick.

Many people who live near the park have been bitten by ticks and have gotten sick but their doctors all deny that they have Lyme disease.

We went to see the "top" infectious disease doctor in OK and he looked at her bulls eye rash and told her it was just "age marks".

This idiot couldn't tell the difference between age marks and a bulls eye rash and completely denied that Lyme disease existed here in OK. Pretty disgusting.

Anyway, I hope you get to the bottom of what's causing you to feel the way you do. Keep us posted.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fuuny, no lyme in OK or TX huh??? geez, and we have soooo many outdoors people in our states too

anyway, agree to see endo or can look at the

neruorelief.com website and locate practitioner. they test neruotransmistters and adrenals based on sytmpoms

tx is essentail amino acids to fit each pt needs, dependadant on initial labs.

for out son, the adrenal testing is collect saliva at am, afternoon, late afternoon and before bed.

hope that helps !!!

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
also, personally I have gotten most help, benifit from acupuncture personally.

think good acupuncturist can help you in MANY ways. is all based on balancing.

anyway- wish i had started there first !!!

lady i found that is best uses acupuncture, reiki and TCM all during tx's. stays with you entire tx..never leaves room. she does her own enrgy work..not saying i UNDERSTAND all of it, i am learning though [Smile] ...but it works

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even though symptoms may show as adrenal stress it may not be that simple.

The endocrine glands - hypothalamus, pituitary, thyroid, adrenals, ovaries - should work together as a team.

So finding where it starts and why it is not working well is the key. Could be lyme, virus, nrrd for more saturated fats or other.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kareamber - I could have posted this myself!! I get this too, it IS a very disabling and disturbing sx (amongst many others!).

You described it to a tee. I can't predict when I'll get them. I still can't get over the fact I was going to post the same question.

Calm energy is good, this is like you're "wired" but not "getting anywhere". I DO think it is related to adrenals.

My salivary adrenal cortex test was a waste of $$, there's not a whole lot they can do and frankly adding more supplements (at least for me) to the mix I felt would complicate matters (I'm super sensitive to everything) plus I've tried stuff in the past and never helped.

So...I "give in" to these "attacks" - yes, smaller meals, sometimes carbs does "calm me", deep breathing, stretches, "distracting" my mind with other thoughts/activities, laughing, waling (if you can).

Anything to help the ANS..getting the blood circulating I think does help somewhat to balance things in our bodies. As someone already said, HPA Axis, Gonadal axis, all connected. I also get this surge a day or two before my period.

I also tell myself..perhaps the abx is "clearing" something at a cellular level temporarily perhaps making the adrenals "fire" incorrectly??

Hope you find some answers, I'm sure others will come along with better suggestions. Just know I know EXACTLY what you mean!! [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank for the replies.

Gwb, I never saw a dr in OK besides neurologists. But I have heard that dr's deny that lyme is in OK. We lived in Norman and let me tell you... at the lake we went to.. there was TICKS galore!! We never left there without finding ticks on us. I never had a bulls eye rash, but did have the bites. I can't believe your wife had the classic bulls eye rash and they still denied it??!!!!

My3boys, I'm actually starting acupuncture on Friday. I have a seperate post on that.

btmb03- Wow, I'm so sorry you are having these same episodes. They stink!! You also described it good .. "calm energy". Do you get all twitchy and jumpy? It's driving me crazy.

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
There are so many things this could be and they can be interconnected. Pardon my shotgun approach but, as I've tried to solve this puzzle for myself over the years, much of what I've put here has helped me understand and manage.

Good luck.

----------

First (and I think foremost) this might be a sort of nerve system overload. Lyme really affects nerve tissue but also sets us up for neuro-overload from the simplest tasks, sometimes.

Avoid fluorescent lights, being over stimulated, if you can. Magnesium helps if this is what's happening. As MY3BOYS says, acupuncture, too, helps balance all this.

I don't have the energy to find the exact article I want but if you do a combined search with this, you may find the description of how a kind of "panic attack" is common with lyme - but it's not really a panic attack, non-lyme people might think so, but it is very different - and treating infection helps.

Search: lyme, panic, Nields, Fallon

Jenifer Nields and Brian Fallon are two authors in the articles I've read about this.

=============

Do you have any inner ear balance or hearing (too loud; ringing) stuff going on? That is all common with lyme, too, and if one has vestibular dysfunction (inner/middle ear stuff) these sort of adrenal attacks often go along with that.

----

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

VESTIBULAR SYMTPOMS

==================

What is your adrenal support? Singleton's book: "The Lyme Disease Solution" outlines some choices.

And, check everything you consume (even breath mints and toothpaste) to be sure you are not getting even a trace of ASPARTAME - or MSG - Google for all the names for MSG.

=================

Are you chemically sensitive? That will also trigger adrenal attacks, so to speak. A stressed liver could be involved. What is your liver support?

Read about secondary porphyria here. Your symptoms could be related - having enough complex carbs, and magnesium, again, will help:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=071168

Topic: PORPHYRIA LINKS - Re: Cytochrome P-450 liver detox pathway

======================

This recent thread also has great information that relates, especially if NMH is involved (neurally mediated hypotension):

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/86015#000010

Topic: Hypoglycemia-like attack? (posted by Michael_Venice)

=====================

Many adrenal articles and books listed here:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/86110

Topic: Hydrocortisone
-

[ 09-23-2009, 05:04 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lover11
Member # 19686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lover11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking Cortisol (the hormone) has helped me at times...
Posts: 48 | From San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you any of you get really faint with your adrenal attacks, and feel like your heart and breathing aren't right?

I measure my blood pressure during these episodes and it doesn't drop anymore like it used to when I felt like this. That's why I figured it was either my blood sugar or my adrenals.

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
This could be much more than just adrenals.

Are you taking magnesium? That should help with heart rhythm. Hawthorn extract, too.

Some find help with a very low dose of Rx Propanolol (used to calm stage fright) - but Hawthorn also has some of that beta blocker effect without the side-effects (that's in the cardiac thread below).

Propanolol: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propanolol

=============

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with cardiac symptoms please read!

Posted by btmb03
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lover11
Member # 19686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lover11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get incredibly faint, weak & at times pass out/black out.

My heart gets very pressured & feels like it either skipping or slowing or going so fast it cant keep up.

I also have trouble breathing with these attacks.

My eyes get blurry/flashy + my neck & shoulders tighten up.

I have had my blood pressure & all the tests come back normal too...

Posts: 48 | From San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

My breathing, and heart rate don't change during these episodes. I just get really weak, heavy, and feel faintish. It's not anything like anxiety. It feels like that feeling you get when you have low blood sugar.

I had my am cortisol level checked this morning.

--------------------

LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kali Dhi, that's exactly what I have been experiencing every day, at the same exact time! Have you figured out what's triggering it, or found anything that helps?
Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hezzer926
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17902

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hezzer926     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ive had this EXACT things and have been eating much more often.. however, i still have it esp before dinner .. not as bad... i have no idea what it is.. first the endo checked my blood sugar.. then we will go from there
Posts: 245 | From East Brunswick, NJ | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lover11
Member # 19686

The number one thing that triggers it is being upright ie standing or walking for periods (showers too) longer than 5 minutes...

Seen way too many doctors & they all just get baffled or claim they are seizures. But my MRI & other tests came back totally fine...

Ive kind of given up at this point.

I just try to prevent them by always being down [Frown] I sit in the shower & I sit on a stool when i need to cook......things like that

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Kali Dhi:

You said: " . . .The number one thing that triggers it is being upright ie standing or walking for periods (showers too) longer than 5 minutes..."
---

This sounds like NMH (neurally mediated hypotension) - have you had a tilt table test?

- or inner ear stuff going on, that will make it very hard to stay upright for long:

http://www.vestibular.org/vestibular-disorders/symptoms.php

VESTIBULAR SYMPTOMS

---------

Both NMH and vestibular complications are common with lyme and other stealth infections such as Cpn (see: www.cpnhelp.org ).

Do you have a LLMD? Most regular doctors are not very well informed in these matters.

Also, be sure to read the cardiac thread, posted above. That explains a lot. ( http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325 )

And, if this is NMH, a little increase in SEA salt may help. However, if inner ear related, salt can make that worse. I have both and have found a moderate level of salt helps. But licorice helps the adrenal/NMH fainting, too. Again, not too much, though.

Good luck.
-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement