LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Help understanding what is happening

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help understanding what is happening
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My main symptoms that I have experienced for over 2 months are dimness of vision (like looking through lightly tinted sunglasses), and intermittent pain behind the eyes, both temples, and on the sides and back on head, and feeling faint (but only I dont.) Pain and dimness of vision increases with physical activity.

I went to the eye doctor 8/4/09 who took pictures of the back of my eyes and also dialated my eyes, and tests revealed no swelling and that everything was fine. No intracranial pressure. The eye doctor stated that at that time inadequate blood flow could also impact vision.

Someone had posted a very interesting article regarding POTS and NMH which I bookmarked because it was very helpful. (I wish I could remember the thread as I thank them for posting it:

http://www.pediatricnetwork.org/medical/OI/johnshopkins.htm

The cardiologist I had seen one time and my family physican stated that I need to be taking salt. So I have been mixing 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt in 32 ounces of water. I only have 1/4 teaspoon a day of sea salt, though I do drink more water. Vision dimness was mentioned in the link above -- not sure if I actually need to add more sea salt and meet the RDA requirement, and if this would help.

Today I saw a Neurologist for the first time to verify if something else besides Lyme and Coinfections were causing this. My MRI done months ago was fine, and actually asked him if he would do a Brain Spect since it shows more detail, blood flow, etc. In summary, he stated that my symptoms did not warrant a Brain Spect and that my neuro exam was fine, and he did not need to see me back.

Lastly, I am posting blood lab results that were taken from a former LLMD. She stated that I had hypercoagulation, but none of my tests were out of range except D-Dimer:

D-Dimer: Range: <.50 My result: .59 H
DRVVT Screen: Range: < 42 sec My result: 36
Fibroogen Range: 175-425 My result: 236

Fibrin Monomer: Negative
Prothrombin Fragment 1.2 Range:41-372 Mine: 191
Thrombin-Antithrombin TAT: Range:< 4 mcg Mine 3.8
PTT-LA: Range: < 40 sec My result: 37

Prothrombin Time: Range: < 11.5 My result: 11.1
Thrombin Time: Range: 16-23 sec My result: 20

PTT Activated: Range: 22-34 sec My result: 26.9

Thank you for taking the time to read this long post. Im seeking to understand what is happening, whether it be NMH, POTS, Hypercoagulation, infection, or all the above. I only meet with my LLMD once a month as she is three hours away.

I know no one can give medical advise. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I can tell you that d-dimer is not a good gauge as a stand alone test. Doesn't look like you have hypercoagulation.

MRI is not always a good gauge of neuro lyme either. Many (including me) have severe neuro problems yet have clear MRI and SPECT....so, again, no definitive answers here.

Unless you see one of the few docotrs who understand Dysautonomia, be prepared to be lost here as well...and the bottom line here seems to be clear up the infection and the POTS and NMH will go away......

So, I would say, unfortunately, infection and perhaps all of the above, but without clearing infection?????

Leaves you in the same quandry as before you posted right?

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion if you do actually have POTS or NMH that needs to be treated just the same as if someone has pain. Yes, it is a symptom of adrenal stress, but it puts more sress on the cardiovascular system as I understand it.

As for hypercoagulation -- the tests can't look inside your brain. You can have bloodflow problems in the brain which might or might not show up on a SPECT scan that would not show up on standard tests for hypercoagulation.

How is your blood pressure? Has anyone ever taken your blood pressure sitting and then again standing to see if it goes up -- with NMH or POTS the blood pressure drops instead of rising as it should.

Unfortunately very few neurologists are Lyme literate and many of them do not put much faith in a SPECT scan because it is a functional test -- they are usually just interested in diseases like tumors or M.S. lesions etc.

I have 2 suggestions --

1st -- take some sort of enzyme such as Lumbrokinase to see if that helps. Here is a recent thread.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/86312

2nd -- add in some supplements to help the adrenals. Here is a very good thread about that.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/39511

If neither of these 2 things help then you probably should try to get a tilt table test done.

Another important point -- lyme and bartonella both frequently affect the eyes. Don't know if you were aware of the bartonella connection.

This is not medical advice, just my opinion based on hubby's experiences.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other suggestion -- one of the best herbs for vision is bilberry which is the same thing as wild huckleberry or wild blueberry.

Here is a link that explains the vision connection. I have no financial interest in this herb company, but have ordered from them several times as they have very reasonable prices. Click on detailed description at that link.

http://www.darcyfromtheforest.com/servlet/Detail?no=50

If I calculated correctly a 4 ounce bottle would yield 24 teaspoons which is the recommended dose for 12 - 24 days.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much Feelfit and Bea for the helpful information.

Bea~

To answer some of your questions:

About 2 months ago I had an appointment with a Cardiologist. He took my blood pressure and pulse lying down, sitting up, then standing. He stated he could see a small change in blood pressure, but felt it didn't warrant putting me on a beta blocker.

He also believed that a tilt table was not necessary because he was already seeing the the slight change in BP. Both he and my family physician both recommended salt since I do not eat a lot of salt. Currently taking 1/4 teaspoon sea salt a day. May need to increase it.

My blood pressure normally reads around: 107/68, 102/63, 110/70. My heartbeat used to be fast, but since taking sea salt and Magnesium it seems to have returned to normal.

Regarding adrenals, my blood cortisol test taken in the morning reads 9 with the top of the range being 22. Today I had a cortisol stimulation test and am awaiting test results.

According to what Im learning on the forum just in the past few days is that POTS and NMH can cause dim vision and blood pooling problems. So I am looking into your suggestion for purchasing Lumbrokinase. Can it be taken with antibiotics? Also looking into supporting the adrenals.

Back in March 2009 when very ill/bedridden also had dimmness of vision and IV Rocephin helped. I hope and pray that if I need to be on it again that insurance will cover it. My LLMD has tried to give high doses of medication to cross the BBB (for the nervous system), but my liver enzymes end up elevating.

I see you are from Virginia as well. I live between Charlottesville and Lynchburg. Thank you for all the helpful information. May your husband continue to get better and better with each new day.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greenbow
Member # 21463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that was my very first neuro symptom (dimming vision)... i have passed the TTT so i don't know what it was other then the first neuro-BB symptom...i do have all the other dysautonomia symptoms except the pooling of blood in my legs.
i do continue to do vigorus exercise daily..this will help you with the heart stuff...keep your HEART strong!

Posts: 94 | From ut | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
http://tinyurl.com/dc9u8c (Through Amazon)

The Eye Care Revolution: Prevent and Reverse Common Vision Problems - by Robert Abel, Jr. M.D.

You can read customer reviews and look inside the book.

==========

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesCategory.aspx?k=Vision_Sight

32 articles on Vision and Sight

One of those:

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1068&zTYPE=2

Vision: Natural Ways to Maintain Eye Health - By Jim English
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Thanks everyone for your responses. I soo appreciate it.

Thanks Keebler for the vrp articles on eye health. One of them stated that blood flow can affect the vision/retina. Dont know if it is blood flow or infection or both.

Ordered Lumbrokinase today and should arrive in a couple of days. Is it best to start with just one?

seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Yes, I would just start with one lumbrokinase.

Most docs suggest spreading out the doses.

Hubby is now up to 4 per day. Usually takes 2 in the early a.m. about an hour apart -- before he gets up and 1 in the afternoon and 1 in the evening. He has actually taken 2 at the same time a few times, but has not taken more than that in one dose.

If this is going to help I think you will notice it within a week or even sooner.

Bea Seibert

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement