LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Saunas Recommendations. Best ones?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saunas Recommendations. Best ones?
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering from all of you who have b ought a sauna if you can make any recommendations to me. Either which you have had great success with or some that you might say.... to me... stay away from buying.

I am very interested in Ozone additional feature as well if possible as a hook up.

Thanks ahead of time.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunlight Sauna is fantastic...and easy to assemble!
Get the basswood/non-alergy one.

[ 10-02-2009, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: lightparfait ]

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been doing research on Sauna's for a number of months.

You want one that is made of non-toxic materials. Preferrably one without stereo etc.. Who knows what happens when the plastics heat up to high temps.

The one recommended by my LLMD is made of poplar and is made by a company called Heavenly Heat.

There is another one recommended by a doctor that I saw and it is made by high tech health. The sauna is called Thermal Life. I *think* it is made of poplar too.

Both of those sauna's are fairly expensive so I've been looking for used but after months of looking I'm ready to consider another one that is relatively cheap but made with non-toxic glue.

I found one that looks promising. It is a HotWind Sauna - made in China. It does have a stereo and an oxygen ionizer. I would remove both so as not to inhale VOC's while trying to detox. Kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion. I've seen a 2 person sauna for as low as $1,000 including shipping. I'm still not done researching this one though. I need to check the number of ceramic heaters, placement etc..

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ones without plastic mats. check my posts./
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As mentioned above, Sunlight Saunas are excellent. They have a number of models that include some for 1, 2, 3 and more people,

I used one for 1 person that is shaped like half a cylinder that is easy to use and easy to store if needed. Weighs very little and is non-toxic.

www.sunlightsaunas.com I believe.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ott70
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ott70     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a far infrared sauna, High Tech Health makes a good product that uses non-toxic wood. Be careful, there are companies that use toxic woods in their saunas. I think one company uses hemlock and I think that's a no-no for saunas.
Posts: 194 | From Colorado | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
High Tech Health says they are non toxic and most of the models are, HOWEVER, they made a bad batch a few years ago and some of those are still floating around out there. A good friend of mine got severely ill after getting her High Tech Health Sauna - after a long time, someone discovered PLYWOOD in the top and back, with all that glue and formadehyde.

She got an attorney who discovered that High Tech Health had, in fact sold bad some saunas (even admitted to knowing about it for some time and not informing customers who had the bad models). They would not take it back. They would not reimburse her at all for even the cost to get it out of her house.

HTH told her she could file a full fledge lawsuit if she wanted (after the sauna made her even sicker, they knew she did not have the stamina for that).

So, if you buy a used High Tech Health sauna, inspect it completely to be sure it's not one of the bad models. I don't know how I'd ever trust a company, though, that did not try to do everything possible to correct their mistakes.

-----

Others who got some of the High Tech Health plywood models voice their problems with the company here, too:

Information on how to avoid some brands that have formaldehyde and toxic glues:

http://onibasu.com/archives/am/214254.html

[Autism-Mercury] Re: Ready to Buy a Sauna, Any Advice?

=========

www.heavenlyheatsaunas.com

Heavenly Heat Saunas have less wood, more glass and are suggested for patients with chemical sensitivities who can even react to cedar.
-

[ 10-02-2009, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD recommends: http://www.healthyheatsaunas.com/wood_sauna_products.htm.

I haven't purchased one yet because I'm not sure what effect they have on POTS and NMH. Am also concerned about chemical sensitivies.

Does anyone have any information on this?

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
imagine2,

FAR Infrared saunas can help chemical sensitivities. And the LOW heat also works very well for those who can't tolerate high heat.

Were I to have the money, this would the top of my list. From all I've read FAR Infrared, when used correctly at low heat, is marvelous help to our bodies in ways to numerous to mention because I'm just too tired.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow keeb - thanks for the info about High Tech Health. It's terrible that they wouldn't re-imburse her for the sauna. They seem to be very proud of their "non-toxic" saunas.

Imagine - thanks for posting regarding what your doc recommends. Gives me another option to look into. Your link didn't work for me because of the period behind the url. Here it is without the period.
http://www.healthyheatsaunas.com/wood_sauna_products.htm

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Imagine - as far as POTS, that was a concern that stopped me from considering FIR sauna for a long time. Not just POTS but orthostatic hypotension too which gets a lot worse with heat.

I've asked others about this issue and several people who have dysautonomia (including my sister) use the sauna with success and in fact have noticed improvements.

I think the key is making sure to keep the sessions short initially and keeping yourself hydrated and full of the right electrolytes.

Dr. Sherry Rogers wrote a book called "Detoxify or Die". She talks a lot about the sauna in there and how to keep your electrolytes and fluids up. Doesn't talk specifically about POTS though.

A big issue for me used to be that I couldn't sweat. Babesia treatment has helped that issue a lot so now I feel like I can try the sauna and work my way up slowly to a meaningul amount of exposure. From what I've read, not sweating can be a symptom of TBI's. Others have mentioned that they didn't sweat when they started using the sauna but with use, they started to sweat. Not sure about the mechanism there.

Terry
I'm not a doctor

massman
Unregistered

Sweating is a big issue !

I had a stroke in 2001 (hypercoagulation ?).

Did not sweat after that until my 2nd FIS in 2007. Always sweated very easily before that.
Did really well for a while then dropped into male thinking - more is better.

Cranked the heat up in the sauna and sweated less. Finally listened to the lady who owned the sauna center, turned it to moderate heat and did better.

springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much for the great information and warnings too.
That is invaluable. And Why I asked.

I am in my beginnings of research and this will help a ton!!

LightParfait "Sunlight Sauna is fantastic...and easy to assemble!
Get the hemlock one."
Ott70 says "i think hemlock is a no no"

Can you expand on why to get the hemlock one? or why not?
To clarify since two people said two things?

Terry - Let me know where you end up . Are you buying soon?

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry, I meant "don't" get hemlock"...I got the basswood, two person one! Although two people sit very close in it...it is a great size for one to stretch out if you are 5.5" like me. My legs can rest on the seat with the back rest on the side.

I have the stereo/cd player and components do not heat up in it. I watch TV outside the glass doors and the tv controller works inside of it, and the controller does not heat up in there either.

It's worth every penny!

I love the Sunlight Sauna...and it is precision made and fits together perfectly. It takes two people to put it together. We did it in about an hour...most to unpack the packing material.

No regrets!

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I am curious why not just go to sauna ?- there are plenty around already built!
Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,
I was particularly wondering if the wood would off gas at all? Woods really bother me.

TerryK,
That's really good news. I actually just ordered "Detoxify of Die" Can't wait to read it.

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Imagine2,

Note: In the back of "Detox of Die" one brand recommend is High Tech Health. That book was published before the plywood problem with some of High Tech Health models.

Woods can bother some people. Cedar is especially hard for those with multiple chemical sensitivities (MCS). That is why the ones that are more glass from Heavenly Heat are recommended for those with MCS.

However, it just depends on the wood and has it has been "dressed" or prepared. If you are particularly drawn to one brand, you might ask them to send you a small piece of the wood they will be using - after it's been through their processes.

Also, I've been around a new Sunlight Sauna and the wood seemed fine to me - I especially took in lots of deep breaths and did very well - and I'm very sensitive. I studied them a bit and was very impressed.

I was invited to see one my next door neighbor put his Sunlight Sauna together. Sad, it was just inches from my own apartment but he thought I would contaminate it. I would have paid him something for sessions and sat on towels, aired it out, etc. but he just snarled his nose when I asked about renting some time in it. "Contaminate" is the word he used.

It was there for a couple years, barely used even by him - it was sold just last week - at a big profit to him since it had been a gift. Lucky guy. He had no idea how much that might have made a difference in my life but I sure was not going to beg since he seemed judgmental about my health just in passing comments.

I'm homebound, so going out and finding one to use is not an option. However, epson salts and warm baths are available to me - and you can't say that everywhere. I have to look at how lucky I am to have plumbing and a bed to sleep in.

And, thinking of the environment, the more glass in a sauna is good because it means less of a tree had to be used.
--

[ 10-02-2009, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coltman, the public saunas are not typically FIR, which is the kind with the detox benefits.

I love my Sunlight Sauna. One of the panels was defective, and they replaced it very easily with no hassle. Good to know that a company stands behind their product before you spend so many $$$.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Keebler,
Thanks for the information on Heavenly Heat and MCS.
Will definitely check them out.

Also, great idea to order a sample of the woods. I didn't know you could do that.

Your neighbor?....not very neighborly. [Smile]

lightparfait
Member # 22022

I have seen barely used sunlight sauna's posted on ebay in the past, and I know that sunlight sauna occasionally has deals on new sauna's that are used at trade shows.

If you live near where they are on show...they will sell them to you at a very reduced price, but you must pick them up and transport them yourself. I almost did this.

Worth a call to the sales dept.

Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an Elixir Therapy with carbon heaters and I love it. It is the one person but is big enough for two. The heaters are spread all over the sauna and covers the whole body.

Goes together very easy, about 1/2 hour. They use screws not clips like other saunas.

They have the orginal Japanese carbon heaters, that is why I picked this company.

In the past, I have used saunas with ceramic heaters and they are terrible. The carbon rods do not heat as much at the lower temps. It seems like I would only sweat the last 14 minutes of a 30 minute session. Also if you lean near a ceramic heater it burns your skin.

The Elixir Therapy sauna is made in California but the heaters are imported from Japan. I ask for a discount and received 15% off price and they threw in a few things also.

At 100 deg I am already sweating. I usually get it up to 120 before it gets too much for me.

Remember to cool down after and in the shower, scrub yourself with a body brush, no soap. This will get rid of the toxins on your skin.

The first few treatments in a infrared sauna, don't be suprised if the towel has brownish color sweat on it. Also, remember to drink plenty of water while in the sauna.

I did a lot a research on IR saunas and I like Exilir Therapy the best because of their heaters.
The heaters are not from China. My sauna is redwood and does come with DVD and speakers.

It takes about 2 months for it to be built, one the order is taken. I paid in two payments. It is delivered to your door (shipping was included). It takes longer to unpack the sauna then to put it together.

If I had to buy another sauna, I would stick with the Exilir Therapy although I had to wait for it to be built for me.

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Elaine.

Can you send me a PM maybe since you already researched them on what the main differences is in the models and which you choose and why. And the round about price?

Or post it here?

Thanks much.. I so appreciate your input.

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why must a sauna be FIR in order to detox?

I joined the local gym for one reason - the sauna. I go in everyday and I really think it helps. If I miss a day I notice the difference.

Just my 2 cents

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Google the differences. My understanding is the FI gets in deeper and greatly increases the blood and lymph flow, leading to greater detox.

The www.sunlightsaunas.com site may have a more detailed explanation. I have used both and am stunned at the great difference.

Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A regular sauna works like a steam room or steam shower. The sweat is from the top layers of skin. It is a wet steam.

An Far Infrared sauna penetrates into the body anywhere from 2 to 3 inches. So, it goes deeper for detoxing.

Instead of me explaining who the company is and how it came about, it will be easier to read it at: Elixir Therapy It will also explain what happened to Health Mate.

I bought the one person Zen Model. Quoted price was: $ 3730. I asked for a discount a got 15% off. I ordered a back rest....a must. A foot rest, don't need it since I have long legs. They gave me 15% off those items also. They gave me a towel shelf as a gift. There is also a shelf that I use for my water glass and a shelf for the DVD.

It is wired for a DVD player. I guess because my sauna took 8 weeks instead of the 4-6, they also sent me a DVD player, no charge.

I paided 1/2 by credit card when I placed the order and the balance about 6 weeks later.

I just got out of the sauna about 1/2 hour ago and I am still sweating. I wait till I cool off a bit and then shower, otherwise, I would still be sweating after showering.

I think if you are interested it is better to go on their website Elixir Therapy Home Page and read their information, it is certainly more informative than my Lyme brain can explain at this point.

If there is anyone in the Fort Myers, FL area you are certainly welcomed to use my sauna.

I did tell my LLMD that I have an IFR sauna and he said, " use it, use it, use it". He also has one, so I guess that says something about IFR saunas.

All I can say is that this company uses and has a partnership with the company that made the orginial Japanese medical carbon heaters. The other sauna companies, on the market, use the imitation heaters from China and Taiwan, that is why other brands are so much cheaper.

When I first tried a IFR sauna it was at a massage spa here in Fort Myers. They had a ceramic heater IFR sauna. The ceramic rods were so hot that I could not lean back and had to throw a towel on my legs since they were close to the ceramic rods. They did not have a shower but gave me a bowl with water/ice cubes in it and a wash cloth to cool down my body. By the time, I was finished with the 1/2 hour session, I looked at the water in the bowl and it had a brown appearance to it. It was no longer clear.
I knew at that point, that the sauna was doing something with detoxing. My sweat is not brown !!

I'm sure that some of the cheaper saunas using technology from China or Taiwan have some benefit but I felt more secure buying the orginal
Japanese carbon heater.

I also had a steam shower put in when we built our home and used it a lot until I bought the sauna. The wet heat set at 108 degrees in the steam shower burns my skin. So I don't use it anymore. At 130 degrees in the sauna my skin does NOT burn at all. I only sweat and sweat.

I hope this helps. Anyone that has specific questions can PM me or ask on a post.

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have had a High Tech Far Infrared for 7-8 years.

If you have metal toxicity as part of your problems, one has to be very careful not to use it in the early stages of the detox phase. Make certain you are not allergic to the most toxic metals and chemicals. If that is the case, it is bad news, because the immune system does does not recognize these metals and chemicals as toxins and they are being mobilized by the increased circulation but not really expelled. Most people are not aware that they are holding toxic metals and can get worse in the sauna as with other exercise.

It is also not a good idea to share a public sauna because some of the toxins and metals leave the body in vapor form breathing them out and they are attaching to the inside of the sauna and staying there. Mercury can be found anywhere in a dentist office - wall and carpeting, etc. This has been tested. In fact it can be tested with an instrument as the vapors are coming out with breathing. I have attended seminars where for the fun of it and to bring the message home people started to chew gum and then were tested. There is no doubt.

It is known that mercury is passed on between partners in the bedroom through breath. Partners get ill and don't know why.

Saunas are great during the latter stage of detoxing. Dr. K. did not suggest saunas until much later in my treatment.

But make certain you are not allergic to toxic metals before you go into a sauna. You want it out of the brain - not the other way around.

This was an investment for life for us and we decided to do with less elsewhere, so that we could have one.

Use it with caution and only when you know that your immune system (at the DNA level) is not dysfunctional when it comes to heavy metals and of course other chemicals you have been exposed to. We deal with some 80,000 chemicals daily, many of which the immune system does not recognize and therefore just stores the toxin somewhere in some body compartment, joint, etc.

My routine is trampoline while the sauna is heating up for 15 minutes and heading into the sauna right after, and it is a great experience. But I had to get rid of a lot of toxins before I could do this. The body burden would have been too great.

These are most likely some of the reasons people blame the wood, the nails, the plastic, if they do not get lasting benefits from a sauna. Proof for this is difficult to come by because there is no true definite heavy metals test. We can measure what is leaving the body, but we don't have a way what remains in the body and exactly where it is. The symptoms are identical to Lyme.

Take care and be careful with the sauna.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

GiGi
Great Points. I was wondering if you had advice on knowing at what point you would be ready for the sauna.
At what point did your doctor advice it? To get an idea how long after treatment and what kinds of treatments>?

I am the point where treatment has been helping until i do something like the sauna or a detox method such as a cold laser lymp drainage. I get very much worse. It does not feel like a healhty Detox.

I am not being guided by my current doctor very well except being told I need to get the neurotoxins out.

So does that mean push through it? Wait? Do more gentle things and work up? I am stuck on this subject but want some answers to help me.

If you have any ideas that might help me let me know Please.

It sounds like you have been through quite a lot and have experience in the area.

Your post is the first I read that really is stating some of what I have been suspecting for myself but have not found a way to figure it out.

Thanks much. I hope to hear back from you

springshowers
Member # 19863

Anyone know of places that sell used Saunas ??

I will check with manufacturers for display models etc.

Maybe I can look through Craigs list or something? Or Ebay?

Anyone can think of issues with buying one used?

rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachellemarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed above to NOT get Hemlock. Why is this? The one I am looking at is made out of Canadian Hemlock.

I'm finding good deals on Craigslist in my area (Phoenix...but want to make sure I'm getting a good one and works well.

Posts: 215 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just use the cheaper portable sauna and it works very well for me.

I use it for 40 minutes at about 135 degrees and always feel better when I get out and the next day, too.

I try to use it 3 to 4 times per week now that it's cooler.

I head right to the shower to rinse and wash off the toxins before they reabsorb into the body.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
rachellemarie ,

People with MCS can react to Hemlock, Cedar, Spruce . . . .

If you see one for sale in your area, go and spend an hour in it, go home, wait a day and then decide for yourself. Being used, it may be okay, especially if you don't have MCS (multiple chemical sensitivities). However, if you do have MCS, you might see if you can visit it a couple of times before you decide.

The thing is that long after wood is cut - sometimes for the life of the wood itself - the oils can remain active and trigger reactions in some people.
-

Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Before you buy a used FIR sauna, find out if it is still under warranty if it is sold to another person.

Also, call the manufacturer and ask if parts are available for that model and if the company will walk you through replacing parts.

Keebler had good advise, to try it before you buy it.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
And take someone with you to examine ALL the wood. You don't want even a trace of plywood. You may need to take a short ladder to climb up and see the top and turn it around to see the back, etc.
-

massman
Unregistered

Good points Keebler.
Some woods can outgas almost forever.

rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachellemarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, great pointers Keebler and Elaine that I wouldn't have thought of. [Smile] Nothing is simple, is it!?
Posts: 215 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Anyone heard of the brand SaunaGen?
sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know how often we should use the FIR? Should we do it every day, every other day??
Posts: 495 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imaginit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imaginit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone used or purchased the portable infared saunas that cost between $200 and $300. I am limited on space and dollars and thought this might be a good option if they work.
Posts: 123 | From Montana | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
My concern is with vinyl or other petroleum products that off gas as these can be endocrine disruptors, and cause more problems with detox.

You really don't want any vinyl in your home, even as a shower curtain (Vermont Country Store has other types). Well, okay, we can't really get rid of the kitchen floor but better choices are coming on the market all the time when replacement times comes.

Also ask about the dyes, finishes and glues - in addition to what it's made of - and then see if they have a floor model for sale at a reduced price. That way, it's been aired out for awhile. But, you may not be able to return a floor model and you want the option of a full refund.

Craig's list may also be a source.

Someone here has a portable unit. I'm not sure about it's fabric contents but she loves it and it has worked very well for her and her daughter.
-

springshowers
Member # 19863

Hi I found a great deal on craigs list but it is a High Tech Health Infrared Sauna.

So after what Keebler wrote i am reluctant.

Do you think if I just inspect for plywood that would be good enough? Or should I keep on looking?

??

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
That one may still be okay. Most of theirs are/were. It's just SOME models of HTH that had plywood - a bad batch, most likely. Definitely check it out but take your small latter and someone who knows how to identify plywood and do a thorough check.

Look at the top and at the back of the unit.
-

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one of the portable ones. I got it from www.nationalpoolwholesalers.com.

And the saunas go on sale there a lot, so watch for sales.

They do work. I sweat a lot. You can feel the heat from the FIR panels. I switched to a stool, with the legs sawed some so that I fit in there, so that there was no back like the chair it comes with, and my back could feel more of the warmth coming off the panels.

They do off-gas a little bit of a vinyl smell, especially at first, but I've had mine for about 6 months and it's getting much better. It only smells now when it gets hot, but even for someone like me that is sensitive to smells, it is manageable. I have faith that in another month or two, it will be giving off virtually no detectable smell. I'm sure most people wouldn't notice the smells it's giving off now.

Since your head is on the outside, it isn't as bad, but since I'm very sensitive to smells, I was wearing one of those cheap painter's masks and that was blocking the smell while I was using it.

But even though it does off-gas a little bit of a smell, it's getting tons better, so I don't regret the purchase, and I love to use it. At this point, I barely smell anything while it's in use.

I have referred others to that site before, and they also love theirs.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kelmo is the one who got it for her daughter, and her daughter loves it. Kelmo is the one that convinced me to order one.

I'm only mentioning the smell so that people will not have any surprises, but it doesn't seem to bother most people. So keep in mind, I seem to be pretty sensitive to smells.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Imaginit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Imaginit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Hoosiers,
I knew there was somebody I had chatted with that had one. I'm Robbie from LF. I think I am going to order one. Do you put yours up and take it down every day?

Posts: 123 | From Montana | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
This is the book where I was recently reading about vinyl. On page 168 starts a nine-page discussion about the phthalates involved and their effect on the amygdala region of the brain, etc.:

Ecological Intelligence by Daniel Goleman.

This is his website: http://www.danielgoleman.info/blog/
-

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Oh, hi Robbie!!!

I usually would dry the inside with a towel afterwards, then leave it open and unzipped for awhile to let it dry out, sometimes overnight.

In the new place I'm renting, I have more room, so I'll often leave it open for weeks on end, but in my old place, we were very cramped, so we would fold it up frequently.

It isn't too hard to fold up, once you figure out how to do it.

The hardest part with setting it up, is that the floor heater has a cord that needs to be plugged in to an area on the outside of the unit, and there is a pretty small hole that the cord needs to go through, so sometimes it is helpful to have another person helping you thread it through.

It is do-able by yourself, but just harder. It's hard to explain.

But aside from that, folding it up and storing it is not a big deal. We pulled our couch away from the wall a tiny bit, and we store it behind the couch, flat against the wall. It would also fit under most beds when folded.

left lane
Member # 23380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for left lane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Elaine G:
I have an Elixir Therapy with carbon heaters and I love it. It is the one person but is big enough for two. The heaters are spread all over the sauna and covers the whole body.

Goes together very easy, about 1/2 hour. They use screws not clips like other saunas.

They have the orginal Japanese carbon heaters, that is why I picked this company.

In the past, I have used saunas with ceramic heaters and they are terrible. The carbon rods do not heat as much at the lower temps. It seems like I would only sweat the last 14 minutes of a 30 minute session. Also if you lean near a ceramic heater it burns your skin.

The Elixir Therapy sauna is made in California but the heaters are imported from Japan. I ask for a discount and received 15% off price and they threw in a few things also.

At 100 deg I am already sweating. I usually get it up to 120 before it gets too much for me.

Remember to cool down after and in the shower, scrub yourself with a body brush, no soap. This will get rid of the toxins on your skin.

The first few treatments in a infrared sauna, don't be suprised if the towel has brownish color sweat on it. Also, remember to drink plenty of water while in the sauna.

I did a lot a research on IR saunas and I like Exilir Therapy the best because of their heaters.
The heaters are not from China. My sauna is redwood and does come with DVD and speakers.

It takes about 2 months for it to be built, one the order is taken. I paid in two payments. It is delivered to your door (shipping was included). It takes longer to unpack the sauna then to put it together.

If I had to buy another sauna, I would stick with the Exilir Therapy although I had to wait for it to be built for me.

--------------------
left lane

Posts: 2 | From washington | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
left lane
Member # 23380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for left lane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when did you purchase this? Had you tried one before? How did you find out about this one? I ordered one nearly 3 mos. ago and I am concerned it isn't going to show at all. I was surprised to see a post that someone actually had one. thanks

--------------------
left lane

Posts: 2 | From washington | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

PM sent
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone tested the EMFs in their SUNLIGHT SAUNA? My LLMD had hers tested (she has cedar, large one) and it was higher than the EMF tester had EVER seen.

I have the one person basswood, but I'm still worried about it. They say they have low EMFs, but how would any of us without gaussmeters know?

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler - any concern about EMF's as peacemama mentioned?

Thanks,

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidsatlast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4308

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidsatlast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Springshowers,

I have a two person SaunaGen FIR sauna and I absolutely love it. I bought it from Saunas.com. At first I had trouble understanding how the touchpad works that controls it. It looks like a microwave touchpad. the reason I mention this is that the company really backs up their product and when I said I couldn't make it turn on, they sent me a new control panel by Priority Mail and a technician helped me over the phone.

The price was very competitive. I researched a lot of saunas. The wood is non-toxic, smells slightly fragrant but not overwhelming. It has held up well for three years.

The box it came in weighed 300 or 400 pounds but I brought each panel into the house individually. It assembled into a tight fitting room. If you order one, be sure to measure your space carefully at home first. You need clearance over the sauna to install the electrical components on the roof so you need to be able to get your head and shoulders over it to plug in the cables.

It is very attractive looking and could easily be in a family room and look like a nice piece of furniture.

When I started using it, I found I had to work my way up from 5-10 minutes a session perhaps weekly, since I had so much reaction to the movement of toxins, I suppose. Now I can stay in 30-45 minutes and feel fine afterwards. I drink water and take liquid minerals.

The quality of the ceramic heaters and the freq of the infrared emitted is similar to more expensive models, but this is important in how well the sauna benefits you.

Posts: 156 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Thank you for all the ideas and suggestions. So much great information.

I have had to budget some things and can not afford to buy new.> So ever week i look in craigs list and have seen some great deals.

So far only one some of the larger ones and the brands I am not looking for. If nothing turns up soon I will consider trying to finance one or something.

This thread has been extremely helpful in figureing out what features and what brands to look for as well as what hazzerds or draw backs to look for.

your all awesome.. Thank you so much..

I wish I had one NOW...
but impluse buying is not good.

TerryK
Member # 8552

Just wanted to clear something up regarding High Tech Health's Thermal Life FIR Sauna. I bought a used one that looked like it *might* have plywood on the outside top of the unit and under the bench. I called them and they guaranteed that they have NEVER used plywood of any kind because of the formaldehyde. Their sauna is non-toxic.

The wood that one might think is plywood is a lower quality poplar or spruce than the rest of the sauna. They only used that in certain areas that would not be seen and would not affect the use of the product in any way. In the past year they have changed that too.

After reading all the claims in the link provided by keebler I'm not sure what to think. Does anyone else have one that looks like it has plywood? Anyone else know anything about this?

Terry

lightparfait
Member # 22022

Dr. K's guidelines for a FIR Sauna:

120 to 140 degrees for lyme.

Pre-load patients with:
cocount oil
garlic
Chlorella
hours before the sauna begins.
Hydrate.

The idea is to let most of the toxins be removed through the liver...not the skin. although you do want to sweat...Compare the liver to the size of a tennis court vs the skin surface, a ping pong table...use the larger organ to move the majority of the toxic waste.

Best results if you prepare properly. Otherwise there may be issues with the toxins recirculating.

TerryK
Member # 8552

thanks lightparfait. I also thought that the problem might be related to a reaction in mobilizing toxins or the heat.

One poster claims that the material was tested and found to be full of formaldehyde but anyone can say anything they want on the internet.

High Tech health states that one manufacturer set out to ruin their reputation and it does seem that the one who is making the damaging claims goes on quite a lot about the competitor.

Doesn't make sense that a company would go to all the trouble of making almost the whole unit out of clearly high quality snap together parts only to use very toxic materials in a few relative small areas.

Just wondering, isn't the skin the largest eliminaative organ that we have? I thought the idea was to excrete toxins directly from the fat layer where many toxins are stored rather than through other organs? Less stress on the body supposedly.

Terry

TerryK
Member # 8552

GiGi - have you muscle tested your unit for safety of materials?
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

The way I imagined it in my mind, is that the infrared rays penetrate to the fat cells under the skin, and the fat cells release the fat-soluble toxins.

Then the body somehow eliminates those newly released toxins through whatever detox avenue it deems appropriate...my guess is the liver is a big way the toxins are filtered out.

So I think it's more about just the rays reaching those fatty layers of skin, but not necessarily about the toxins coming out through the skin.

I could be totally wrong though.

You have to wonder why fat-soluble toxins would exit the body through sweat, which is water? (fat-soluble basically means NOT water-soluble, right?)

I'm thinking the liver might be better equipped to handle the fat soluble stuff? Unless once it's released from fat, it is easy to get rid of? Water soluble toxins would be easier to get rid of by the body, I would imagine. That is why the fat-soluble ones are such a problem, because they just accumulate (unless you have FIR sauna and decent detox?)

TerryK
Member # 8552

Hi Hoosiers,
Last year I bought the book called Detoxify or Die by Sherry A. Robgers, M.D.. I'm not sure that she is right but she states that FIR sauna mobilizes chemicals directly from fat storage into sweat. She says it avoids pulling the chemicals into the bloodstream where they can cause the orignial symptoms.

According to her, over weeks and months, chemicals that were stored in other organs (fat is considered an organ) safetly and slowly disseminate throughout the body and eventually empty into subcutaneous fat.

It is the chemical load that is stored directly beneath the skin that is activated by the sauna.

Your explanation brings up a good point though. Water soluable vs fat soluable. I know that fat is where many toxins are stored but that's about all I know.

Anyone know more about this?

Terry

TerryK
Member # 8552

This is an interesting explanation:
http://www.nabridas.mu/web/images/stories/17-Fantastic-Reasons-to-Use-a-Far-Infrared-Sauna.pdf

Heat Treatments Get Rid of Toxins By Raymond Francis, M.Sc. Reprinted from
"Never Be Sick Again"

Saunas or other treatments help to accomplish detoxification in the following manner:

A layer of fat and oil exists just
below the surface of the skin. Heat from the sauna increases skin temperature, causing
those fats and oils to "melt" and ooze out of the skin's oil glands.

As sweat and oil are secreted, the toxins dissolved in them are secreted as well. By excreting these toxins and then washing them off your body, your toxic load is lowered and cellular health improves.

Choose a temperature that can be tolerated for an extended period of time-thirty
minutes to an hour or more. The point is not to sweat out a lot of water, but to rid your
body of oil-soluble toxins. Our skin contains sweat glands and oil glands, both of which help us detoxify.

Sweat gets rid of water-soluble toxins, and even helps to eliminate toxic heavy metals such as mercury and cadmium. Oil glands help remove
oil-soluble toxins that the body would otherwise have a difficult time eliminating. We
have created a world filled with oil-soluble toxins such as gasoline, solvents, pesticides and ingredients in toothpaste and personal care products, and the body is not able to dispose of them efficiently. The longer the skin is heated, the more oil-soluble toxins are eliminated.

lightparfait
Member # 22022

The idea is to trap the toxins...not move them to new locations. Sweating out ones near the surface is part of it and good to do when toxins are there...but most are not near the surface...the IR sauna goes deeper than the surface. Toxins that are moved will not all come out thru the skin with the sauna...but be moved. Best to also try to trap them or "bind them" when they are released in the body... and move them out encapsulated or traped in feces....rather than to another body part. Just best to do this way.

The skin cannot eliminate it all...the Liver is more efficient for elimination and considered the larger organ, over the skin for elimination.

Also, use of IR for too long or at the wrong temp. per individual...may result in certain organs shutting down....in chroniclly ill people. The body will try to protect itself.

Some get very dehydrated internally and suffer ill effects a day or so after a cleansing sauna if not prepared n advance physically or doing it too long or too hot. Must be wise in using it, and not to over use it. Then best effects will occur....if used wisely.

I have learned by experience. Have had both positive and negetive effects with experimenting...so I now know how to use it effectively. It is fantastic when done correctly.

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know how an infrared sauna effects the body as compared to regular sunlight? I know that UVs are supposed to be harmful. Is there any other reason why an infrared sauna is better than just sitting outside in the sun?

There's alot of studies about saunas in general but not alot of info about infrared saunas.

Alot of the info about infrared saunas is provided by manufacturers. I was just wondering if there was some info from a third party about it.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steelbone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14014

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steelbone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a sunlight sauna and flat out love it

--------------------
All The Best,
Paul
[email protected]

The harder you work the luckier you get!

Posts: 965 | From Nebraska Cornhuskers fan in Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement