LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » So ill - anyone stopped antibiotics for a while

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So ill - anyone stopped antibiotics for a while
maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have been on biaxen for 36 days.

My pain is now constant have fevers chills, the symptoms change constantly going round and round in circles and I am so disconnected to life getting a little scared.

I can only stay asleep for two hours at a time dont know why I wake up some time its pain other times i need to get outside for the cooler air and the the ice cold, I feel like I am going crazy.

Food makes me feel nauseated, I know i am not spelling right or probably making much sense

Been through so much this month LLMD did MRI showing extensive white matter disease and suggested MS. Saw the neuro doc yesterday and we viewed the MRI together - so many lesions - he only found one that looked like an MS lesion. Am booked for an Evoked Potential test.

I don't want to come of the antibiotics and I don't know if this is a herx or maybe not enough good bacteria or just the stress of the last few weeks.

any suggestions, really need some clear thinking
maps

--------------------
1999 CFS, 2002 CMV Myco pneumonia
1 year antibiotics on and off
2002 EBV, 2009 Positive Igenex Borellia and Babesia, Brain mri severe white matter disease
Monoclonal Gammopathy. On and off antibiotics since sept. March 9 started iv antibiotics

Posts: 328 | From somewhereelse | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not back off the meds for 2-3 days. Speak to your dr, but it always worked for me.

Many with Lyme have the brain lesions. So don't get too worried about that.

I hope you feel better soon! Are you doing anything to detox??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah take a break. I've been of Biaxin a week and almost feel normal, it's strange. but I know I will go back on when this stuff creeps back in.
Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I went on biaxin, it gave me insomnia, anorexia, and anxiety. It got worse each day.

By the 4th day, I could not sleep a wink at night and could not eat even one spoonful of food. Called the doc and he laughed and said to stop the biaxin.

Biaxin has so many possible side effects. One is psychosis! It can make you feel like you are going crazy. Nausea and vomiting are also a side effect. Mood changes also.

So, you may want to ask your doc for a different med. Biaxin isn't the only med you can take for lyme. Once side effects get too bad, it is time to consider changing meds.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, never even thought abou the wrong antibiotics.

maps

--------------------
2002 EBV, 2009 Positive Igenex Borellia and Babesia, Brain mri severe white matter disease
Monoclonal Gammopathy. On and off antibiotics since sept. March 9 started iv antibiotics

Posts: 328 | From somewhereelse | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't tolerate Biaxin either...I've been off of it for 5 months now and still am dealing with the damage it caused.

So I agree with TF...ask your doc for a different antibiotic. Good luck!

Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi maps,

I just wanted to say that I am sorry that you are feeling so bad and having such a hard time.

I hope you talk to your LLMD and get another antibiotic.

Also, I relplied to your post on the PH board about hyperacusis....I love it when we get a chance to post info about how CFS symptoms and FMS symptoms are very likely lyme....good job!!!

I will pray that you feel better and get a med that you can tolerate and improve on.

Take care.

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to mention. I tried biaxin for about two months and COULD Not tolerate it even at small doses.. it was HORRIBLE>

I stopped it and it took some time to recover.

After a few months my doctor still really liking the drug.. well i had some left and I tried it again.

OK this time I tolerated it just fine.. Just about two months after stopping it.

WEIRD HUH?

So now I can take it.. Not taking it this moment but I did for a month and when I switched to IVS I stopped for now.

But is that not interesting?

So do not count out things forever that you react to.. I do not do that anymore and always stay open to revisiting it..

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spring.. You probably had a bad herx and when you went back on it, the herx was no longer a problem. (You had knocked down some of the bacteria with it.)

I took Biaxin for 18 months! It was good for me. I'm sure I had side effects, but they were tolerable for me.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
most likley the "side effects" and "reactions" you all are experiencing and reading about are herx reactions.

often times IMO in clinical drug trials people who have undx TBDs, etc, are used (as there is a large # of the population w/ it unknowingly, again, IMO) and the "side effects" are merely herx reactions.

don't get me wrong, abx can be harmful, and toxic, but the myriad of side effects listed way too closely aligns w/ herx reactions and/or lyme and co symptoms........

its pretty clear to me, although, i could be wrong. its happened before! [Smile]

keep hanging in, its a long journey, but there is a light at the end of this tunnel, albeit dim at times

-d

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You all might be right. I might have been a herx. But it was like no other herx I felt before. And I have herxed many times and have taken many many meds..

it was like my blood and every cell in my body was poisoned.
It feel like poison. It was a horrible icky feeling that i had to just lay there and hope for it to come out of my body.

As well it would. If I took it I felt it hit in about 2 hours and then at about 8 to 12 hours later I felt it come out of me.

What do you think of that? Do you still think a herx?

And that feeling and taste and sensations all disappeared until I took my next dose and I did it all over again.

It was horrible.

Come to think of it.
I will say I had a similiar reaction just to the FMS medication they advertise on TV> I just can not remember the name of it right now.

I would have onset of episode of posioned feeling and then it would disappear after half life time was hit.

And it did it over and over each time I took it. I just lay on my bed in ball rocking my body just waiting for that time frame.

And it always stopped after the half life time...?

So who knows.. right?

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i have been pondering the half life theory thing recently myself, although either way you look at it i believe its some sort of a herx.

the toxic poisoned feeling is most likely die off, the question is how much can you/we/i take.

it can be brutal at times and feeling as though you are dying, as i have been lately, is not a cool feeling.

eveything in you tells you not to take the med anymore although you dont really see another way out of the quandary.

try gentle detox, such as burbur and parsley NM tinctures as well as drinking plenty of water and trying to stay focused on anything but how bad you feel (i know this is hard)

best

-d

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by djf2005

often times IMO in clinical drug trials people who have undx TBDs, etc, are used (as there is a large # of the population w/ it unknowingly, again, IMO) and the "side effects" are merely herx reactions.

I agree. Bigtime!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

djf2005
Member # 11449

thanks tutu, seems the longer people have lyme the more they come to realize how wide spread and how permeable it really is.

duno if this knowledge is good or bad since it seems that everywhere i look i see lyme.

someone will need to answer for this all eventually, who i am unsure.

-d

--------------------

[email protected]

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biaxin was the hardest med for me. I only stayed on it for 1 month. You might just need another antibiotic.

Also you might need a week or so break. Give your body time to detox and then start again.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Biaxin XL (extended release) and it worked so well for me I actually went off it for 6 months but when a few symptoms came back and I went back on it, and then it ripped my insides apart.

It's a powerful ABX ~ proceed with caution!!

Posts: 261 | From NW Pa ~ Crawford County | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are the thoughts on that as compared to Zithromax?
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maps
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19758

Hi: Dekrator

I feel we are like a tag team [Smile] . Left a message on CFS board and told them you would be along later with all the good links hehe, you have probably been there already.

We can only but keep trying.

Great visit with LLMD yesterday, must update the finding a doc information here. He changed to azithromycin and something else, sorry it's downstairs, no energy for that.

Take care
maps

--------------------

jmoosie
Member # 16638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jmoosie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coming in late to this thread, but here's my two bits anyway...

I was on Biaxin and Plaquenil together for 4.5 months. I don't know if it was the Biaxin or the Plaquenil, or both, but I had certain symptoms I'd not had previously.

Hot flashes. No sweating, but huge internal heat, so much that I'd sit in a cool room with no shirt on and ice packs under my arm pits. And it's not menopause - I'm a guy [Smile]

Insomnia. Greatly worsened on these drugs. Particularly "restless legs" and abrupt wakeups from deep REM.

On stopping the regimen, the hot flashes disappeared immediately. The insomnia is still a problem, but not as bad. My LLMD prescribed Neurontin (low dose) before bed, and that really helps. I wake slightly groggy, but it's much better than not sleeping.

Even though I'm not a fan of sleep meds, Neurontin is my hero these days. I've weaned down to a single 300mg pill, but don't know when I'll be able to stop taking it altogether.

--------------------
http://lymechronicles.blogspot.com

Posts: 21 | From CT | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement