LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Difficulty with Rifampin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Difficulty with Rifampin
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 9 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. I've been aound here awhile, but I don't really post too much.

I have been taking mepron and zith, to treat babs.

Previously, I had taken levaquin (and ceftin), but it seemed that I didn't have bart. That was discontinued, mepron and zith were begun.

Now, my LLMD believes some symptoms are a result of bart. He started me on rifampin just last week.

The effects were immediate.

The problem is the emotional havoc that rifampin is causing.

I am constantly on the verge of tears. I am extremely upset and emotional.

This is like nothing I've ever experienced. I've had four pregnancies. The emotional turmoil of one of those can't compare to this.

I thank you all for the warnings about mepron. I have been watching. Mepron hasn't caused any emotional disturbance for me.

The warnings about mepron say to stop if it gets too much.

I've read warnings about rifampin that say you can't stop-and-start it.

How can I tell the difference between a herx that I can ride out and a real problem when I'm pretty sure my judgement is off.

I don't really herx, so how can I tell if I'm overreacting?

Any input would be greatly apprecited. I'm desperate for some advice.

carly

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Carly,

I'm not sure I can answer your question about whether the Rifampin is causing a herx or you are having a reaction. I do know that I had a very severe reaction to Rifampin. I felt like I was having a heart attack and all of my blood vessels were breaking. It was not a herx. Be sure to ask your doctor if your symptoms could be a reaction, although a lot of LLMDs will say "oh that's a herx" even if it isn't.

I hope you get well soon.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bart does cause emotional stuff.

Are you taking any other meds besides Rifampin or any supplements?

[confused]

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What dose of Rifampin did you start with?

I would start at 150mg or even split that to 75, suing an empty gel cap.

It is easier if you slowly increase the dose.

I have had the emotional stuff in the beginning of Biaxin (ramped up slow) and a little on Rifampin.

Be careful and good luck.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I just upped my dose of Bactrim and started Rifampin and I'm having the same problem. I'm pretty sure it's bartonella, but I'm not sure.

Anyway- I know exactly what you mean. Every little thing has me in tears, and some days it just happens for no reason! I can't watch TV of any sort, because as soon as something even slightly emotional happens on the show, I crack up too.

I'm really hoping it goes away soon. I'll be hoping for you too now!

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just checked the prescribing info & don't see any emotional side effects.

I think you're probably hitting Bart, in which case, it should eventually lessen & stop.

Rifampin does have a LOT of interactions though, so if you're taking any other meds that might have emotional effects, it could be an interaction thing.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i couldn't read all of this but rifampin gave me psyc sx immediatly-sx i never had in my life

i restarted real slow-and had a close freind stay with me to talk to me about what was going on-keep it in perspective

it helped me to stop the drug-w/in 12 hrs all psych sx went away-then i take it and immediatly they come back. it was helpul to realize i coudl control the sx-clearly it was from the med

so i ramped up really slow...and it made all my lumps and nodules go away in 2 months.

but 1 month later they came back and now are worse than ever.

i have a freind who has been on rifampin for yrs...i don't know how long you have to take it to really get the bart

my llmd wants me to fight it with herbs

good luck

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback and support, guys.

My last dose was Thursday morning, more than 24 hrs before I posted this. It took some time to work it's way out of my system.

Not the rifampin, but whatever it killed off that was causing my emotional sensitivity. That's what I think right now, anyway.

I heard back from my llmd's nurse that evening, she told me to stop rifampin until he calls me back.

I've been exhausted all weekend, just like after an emotional trauma. I've slept alot.

I am definitely sure it's the bart. I can also attribute some of my other symptoms to bart now, thanks to my response to rifampin.

I started on 300mg 2x/day. Too much too soon, I guess.

I'm usually OK with an average dose of a medicine. I've never before had such a drastic response.

I am also on mepron and zithromax. I am also taking some supplements, including vitD drops which I just started too. No reaction to them. I waited before introducing rifampin.

Basically I'm taking adrenal support and vitamins. Those I've been taking for months.

Again, I suspect bart.

I know. Rifampin interferes with "everything". I take it 2hrs or more away from other meds, that way they're not in my stomach together, at least.

It seems that this time, my doctor has hit a nerve.

I suppose I can view this experience as progress. It was very hard for a few days there, but now I'm past it.

Nicole-Denise: I'd put in a call to your doctor, that is, if you haven't already. That's my advice after this experience.

I't so hard to tell when "enough" is "too much". That's why we have these doctors.

Thanks again, everyone!

[group hug] Carly

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

I know that Mepron can cause depression & emotional issues. Perhaps the fluctuating levels of Mepron could be wreaking havoc on you or your dose of Rifampin could be too high.

quote:

from Medscape Multi-Drug Interaction Checker

Patient Regimen

RIFAMPIN ORAL
MEPRON ORAL
AZITHROMYCIN ORAL

Interactions

Moderate Interaction
ATOVAQUONE/RIFABUTIN; RIFAMPIN
Mepron Oral and Rifampin Oral may interact based on the potential interaction between ATOVAQUONE and RIFABUTIN; RIFAMPIN.

Atovaquone/Rifabutin; Rifampin

This information is generalized and not intended as specific medical advice. Consult your healthcare professional before taking or discontinuing any drug or commencing any course of treatment.

MONOGRAPH TITLE: Atovaquone/Rifabutin; Rifampin

SEVERITY LEVEL: 3-Moderate Interaction: Assess the risk to the patient and take action as needed.

MECHANISM OF ACTION: The exact mechanism is unknown.(1,2)

CLINICAL EFFECTS: Concurrent administration of atovaquone with rifampin or rifabutin may result in decreased levels and clinical effects of atovaquone (1,2) and increased levels of and side effects from the rifamycin.(1)

PREDISPOSING FACTORS: None determined.

PATIENT MANAGEMENT: The administration of rifampin and rifabutin during atovaquone therapy is not recommended.(2). Consider alternative agents to rifampin and rifabutin during atovaquone therapy.(1)

DISCUSSION: In a study of 13 HIV-positive patients, rifampin (600 mg every 24 hours) and atovaquone (750 mg every 12 hours) resulted in a decrease in average atovaquone steady-state plasma concentration by 52% and an increase in average rifampin steady-state plasma concentration by 37%.(1)

Rifabutin has been shown to reduce atovaquone levels by 34%.(2)

REFERENCES:

1.Mepron (atovaquone) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline November, 2006.

2.Malarone (atovaquone and proguanil hydrochloride) US prescribing information. GlaxoSmithKline December, 2008.

--------------------

Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to stop Rifampin because of emotional and other side effects (horrific insomnia). And like you it started literally 45 minutes after my first half dose.

One of my old pharmacist told me a lot of people complain about anxiety and/or serious depression on Rifampin. He said some side effects don't show up in clinical trials, so they aren't posted on the bottle. But once the drug has been taken by thousands of people, you begin to learn about many of the side effects not found during the trials...

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In 3 days Rifampin literally took me the brink of insanity. I stopped. I was a nervous wreck. Can't deal with that.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13881

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin makes my emotional state more unstable for sure. The thing I wonder is, if its really a "die off" from the bart, do people who take levaquin report the same?
Posts: 116 | From Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carly,

I have taken the same protocol as you and it
can hit you hard at first so watch out.

I started with 300 mg of Rifampin and
then increased after the first herx was almost
gone. I got very dizzy/rocking feeling and had lots of anxiety.
My sleep was worse too but it did go away and I had a ton of improvement after that, I started the Rif. and Zith together with the Plaq. then added the Mepron in after that and got really depressed and tired from the Mepron.

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for helping me to nail this down. I haven't spoken to my doctor yet, but I have intelligent questions to ask, thanks to you guys!

AliG, thanks for the detailed info. I was aware that there was an interaction. Your theory makes sense to me.

Amanda and Seek, that's the same situation I was fearing the other day, but not quite sure.

Asus, I took levaquin with virtually no reation at all. I think that led my doctor to wonder if bart was even present. (I tested neg.)

Is that because the levaquin wasn't hitting my bart?
Is it because the rifampin is interacting with the mepron?
Is it because I can't tolerate rifampin?

I will ask him these questions when I speak with him. I wonder if he'll have an answer.

Stacy,- I had the dizziness, too. That went away months ago, after years. Now it's back, thanks to rifampin. It came on strong and suddenly after taking it. Now it's mild, but it's there.
How did you know to just ride it out??

Part of me wants to push through and see improvement, but I don't want to be foolish about it.

Some of the symptoms we've all become accustomed to living with every day make it hard to judge when something becomes serious.

I can't be the only one who feels this way! [Wink]

Carly

Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carly,

I never had the dizziness to the extent that I
did until the Rifampin too and I was just determined I guess or naive. I cannot take Bactrim for Bart. as I am allergic to it and I was more fearful of the floroquinolones like Levaquin ect...then I was with the Rifampin. I had read enough side effects on both and so I took my chances and pushed through. I did talk to my LLMD though.

By the way I see you are from NY and so is my
LLMD just wondering if we have the same one?

What helped me with the dizziness was going on
Bicillin shots and major detox!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Carly,

I did get almost immediate relief from my heart
issues too from Rifampin but had herxing GI
issues. I guess that is how I knew it was a herx
and not a side effect as I had horrible GI
issue before the Rifampin. After a few weeks it went away.

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rifampin made me lose my mind very quickly. Dizzy!! Within a few days whenever I turned my head, the whole Earth would spin, it was like motion sickness 24/7 and it failed big time. It interacts with many other meds and can cause instability like this with emotions. I went right off it. Call your doctor, let him/her know and they can advise.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Stacy - GI herxing issues. Holy Cow.
I just began having seizing GI pains yesterday - just like before I began treatment. This started days after I stopped taking it.

I'll send you a PM about the doctor.

Wild Condor - and those of you who had to stop the rifampin, how long did the effects linger?

I was on it for a week, I've been off it for about 5 days now and I think I'm still feeling some of its effects.

I haven't taken it since Thursday a.m. I spoke with the nurse Friday evening who said the doctor would call with instructions if he wants me to replace it with anything.

He hasn't called yet, if he even will. My next appt is in two weeks anyway. I'll find out soon what he thinks about my ability to even take rifampin.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement