LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What does this mean? Feeling BETTER while taking Olive Leaf Extract.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What does this mean? Feeling BETTER while taking Olive Leaf Extract.
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 5 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone.

First for some information: I've been REALLY sick with all this for basically three years but have been on lyme treatment for two and a half years, though I was bitten by the tick when I was 12 years old (I am 25 years old now).

Anyway, antibiotics and lyme treatment have helped me a LOT and I have made progress, but in my opinion, I'm still doing rather poorly. Some days are better than others, and some are worse than others. It always comes and goes, like I'm riding on a roller coaster.

Well, I've been doing really poorly recently, for like the past few months, with a lot of heart symptoms and just feeling very sick and out of it, the usual...

I decided to start Olive Leaf Extract. I've taken it before and remember it making me feel somewhat better when I took it in the past. Same with Grapefruit Seed Extract.

Anyway, so I've been taking Olive Leaf Extract for about a week now and ever since I started taking it, I've felt tons better. I have more energy, I feel like a human, my symptoms are less. I am still having some twitching, RLS, a couple heart palps, neck pain, etc., but all-in-all, everything has been much better. I don't feel the overall malaise and extreme heaviness that I usually feel on bad days.

So what I'm wondering is, what does this mean? Does this mean I have a virus issue? I know that Olive Leaf Extract is a mild anti-viral (as well as anti-fungal and anti-bacterial). What else could it mean that it has seemed to help me feel better after such a horrid few months?

Anyone have any ideas/information about what this could mean?

Thanks!

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what it means, but I'd keep taking it!!

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nomoremuscles
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9560

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nomoremuscles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Six. When a horse has presents, don't look inside its mouth.
Posts: 845 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you are feeling better taking OLE. I've been considering taking it myself.

Do you experience any negative side effects when you take it? What brand are you using?

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gary, no side effects from it at all. The only thing that makes me wary about it is that it can lower blood pressure, which for most people is a GOOD thing, but my blood pressure is extremely low already (from the disease), so that's the only thing that kind of worries me about taking too much of it - I don't want my blood pressure any lower than it is because that would get dangerous.

I started out taking 1 a day and now have gone up to 2 a day. 500mg a pill and the brand is NOW. I am sure it doesn't matter what brand you use too much. [Smile]

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth S.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parts of this post edited/deleted for misinformation.

EDIT Please see my updated post below, Olive Leaf Extract is SAFE with antibiotics!

I have M.E. and olive leaf extract has been my main "treatment" for about five years, i think because of its anti-viral properties... Without it my brain functioning is worse, and I'm generally worse, but OLE alone is not enough to kill Lyme. (Now I understand why the OLE had started not to work as well over the past couple of years; after i got bit by that tick.) If you're still having lyme issues (repeating fevers are a big clue) you need to stay with the abx or everything could come back because the lyme isn't completely gone. [Frown] But stay with that olive leaf, it's amazing and obviously working!

[ 11-11-2009, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Elizabeth S. ]

Posts: 161 | From Southern United States | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the info on Drugs.com about interactions. There are no known interactions between olive leaf extract and medications according to this article.

http://www.drugs.com/npp/olive-leaf.html

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is M.E.?

And NO, I don't think the lyme is gone! But I've just been feeling so horrible that I wanted to try SOMETHING different. And it's helped, so I am curious what it can mean.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Thanks, Six. I have read that Olive Leaf Extract may interact with antibiotics, but not sure HOW much.

Elizabeth - thank you for telling me that, but I posted because I am curious as to what it could mean that it's been helping me feel better as of recently.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disturbed me -- if you are only taking 2 x 500 mg capsules daily of the olive leaf extract then that is a very low dose.

Actually there are big differences between some of the brands.

At such low doses my guess is that maybe you have a slight Candida issue and it is responding to the olive leaf.

I had hubby on 12 capsules daily for a couple of weeks several months ago (Sea Gate brand) and it didn't do much for his symptoms -- was hoping it would help with bart or BLO or mycoplasma.

Elizabeth -- Hubby's herbalist has never had a problem with him taking any herbs in combo with his antibiotics -- including olive leaf.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

I don't think I have a yeast issue. I've done the spit test as well as take plenty of probiotics and do not consume sugar or very many carbs as I am on a gluten free diet, as I'm gluten intolerant. I suppose it could be yeast, but I'd highly doubt it.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OLE had helped me in the past with my first two bouts of CFS(undiagnosed Lyme).

It certainly can help with viruses. Take it in between your doses of ABX, not at the same time.

IMO,

CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Disturbedme, it might be because Olive Leaf (and its extract) is anti-inflammatory, due to its flavonoids.

I am also seeing references to it being antibacterial (as well as antiviral):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olive_leaf

If you are looking for more anti-inflammatory sources, I took one Boluoke capsule a week and a half ago (skipped my antibio that day to lessen the impact) and herxed for 2-3 days, then had the best 8 days in a row I have had since 2005. As long as you make sure is ok w/your doctor (it thins the blood), this might be beneficial to you too.

I'm SO glad you are getting some improvement with something. I know how frustrated you have been these last many months. Best of luck to you that you can keep your variables low and be able to make sure you know which thing is helping or harming you, and can keep improving!

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
disturbedme, thanks for your response to my questions.

I'm not on abx and haven't been for over three months. I've been having bad stomach problems and waiting for my stomach to heal so I can start on some herbs and supplements. Hope the OLE won't upset my stomach when I start taking it.

My stomach is sensitive I guess because of IBS. Or maybe it's just the bugs in my gut that are causing this--that's my guess. I've been checked for candida and it came up negative so it's not that.

I'm tempted to try some activated charcoal but am afraid to take it for some reason. I might build up the courage to try it tomorrow. This is one frustrating disease...

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gwb, I can't recall if I sent you my herbal stomach tea recipe before or not, but it really helped mine heal from an ulcer and GERD. It's good for the entire digestive/GI system.

Please feel free to pm me if you would like it.

Oh, and please don't be worried about the activated charcoal. I understand how weird it seems and how it can be daunting - it weirded me out too at first, but it is harmless.

Even animals like monkeys will steal charcoal pieces from humans to chew on it when they eat certain leaves or other items that they can't digest well. They learned that it soothed their tummies. It's completely benign - unlike Pepto-Bismol.

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

nenet, thanks so much for encouraging me not to be worried about activated charcoal.

I know you are right about this. I've done a lot of searching on the internet about this and it does seem to be safe. Just want to make sure I don't do something that adds more pain to what I already have.

I went back and looked at my incoming pm's and didn't see anything from you. I would very much appreciate getting your herbal stomach tea recipe, definitely!

Thank you.

Gary

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would suspect it's helping your "subtle" yeast.

Sometimes we have it but it's not "in our face" so to speak.

GSE and OLE are both good for yeast.

Sounds like your diet is good.. but we can still get yeast.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

How would the yeast issue be making me feel worse than the lyme though??? Because since being on the OLE I've felt pretty good, only a few symptoms - like I mentioned above.

Unless the yeast is what causes the really malaise, lightheaded, blah feeling that comes with my really bad days?

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeast symptoms are VERY similar to Lyme symptoms.

It can make you feel REALLY blah and tired.

yeast symptoms compared to Lyme symptoms:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021202.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey D,
Yeast symptoms and herxes actually make me feel WAY worse than lyme. I herx the hardest on antifungals, including olive leaf. It sends me to the ER with heart problems.

I found this site that describes the stages of candida, much like how lyme has stages: http://phr.net/chronic_candidiasis.html

It states:

"The HEART may develop TACHYCARDIA (palpitations, irregular beats, mitral valve problems or heart murmur)."

Here's a good article on CFIDS and Olive Leaf:

http://www.immunesupport.com/news/98spr009.htm

Here's a piece from this website, that talks about olive leaf being powerfully anti-viral:

http://www.autismcoach.com/Olive%20Leaf%20Extract.htm

"Research suggests that olive leaf may be a true anti-viral compound because it appears to selectively block an entire virus-specific system in the infected host. It then appears to offer healing effects not addressed by pharmaceutical antibiotics. Olive leaf's broad wide-spectrum killing power includes an ability to interfere with critical amino acid production for viruses; an ability to contain viral infection and/or spread by inactivating viruses by preventing virus shredding, budding or assembly at the cell membrane; and the ability to directly penetrate infected cells and stop viral replication."

Maybe it's time to focus on viral and fungal infections?

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey D,
Yeast symptoms and herxes actually make me feel WAY worse than lyme. I herx the hardest on antifungals, including olive leaf. It sends me to the ER with heart problems.

I found this site that describes the stages of candida, much like how lyme has stages: http://phr.net/chronic_candidiasis.html

It states:

"The HEART may develop TACHYCARDIA (palpitations, irregular beats, mitral valve problems or heart murmur)."

Here's a good article on CFIDS and Olive Leaf:

http://www.immunesupport.com/news/98spr009.htm

Here's a piece from this website, that talks about olive leaf being powerfully anti-viral:

http://www.autismcoach.com/Olive%20Leaf%20Extract.htm

"Research suggests that olive leaf may be a true anti-viral compound because it appears to selectively block an entire virus-specific system in the infected host. It then appears to offer healing effects not addressed by pharmaceutical antibiotics. Olive leaf's broad wide-spectrum killing power includes an ability to interfere with critical amino acid production for viruses; an ability to contain viral infection and/or spread by inactivating viruses by preventing virus shredding, budding or assembly at the cell membrane; and the ability to directly penetrate infected cells and stop viral replication."

Maybe it's time to focus on viral and fungal infections?

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Skyler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11549

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skyler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is absolutely wonderful you are feeling better. I have heard olive leaf extract makes lymies feel better, so I just started taking it. I hope I get the same effects as you.

--------------------
I'm probably sleeping...

Posts: 419 | From Florida | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth S.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elizabeth S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi disturbedme, sorry for the late reply...

I am not absolutely positive about the interaction, but I've read many places that OLE can deactivate certain kinds of antibiotics. I don't know which kinds, or anything more, but it had to have come from somewhere to be mentioned so much, so considerting that, in my personal endeavor I choose not to risk it until I can find someone to give me a true answer. But if I find out for SURE one way or the other (and i do plan to look because that herb helps me more than anything and it's horrible being off of it) i will let you know. until then, be your own judge, and good luck =)

Posts: 161 | From Southern United States | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth S.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22405

(By the way, if you do keep taking it, make sure it's at least 20% oleuropein)
Elizabeth S.
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22405

Hi again! I said if i found out anything extra, I would let you know. WELL.

The idea behind olive leaf being incompatible with antibiotics is that abx are made from bacteria and fungi, and olive leaf extract

KILLS bacteria and fungi, thus the OLE would deactivate the abx. The basis for this, however, is apparently misguided! The abx

do not actually contain the living organism: Like any other medication, it contains the chemical compound only. So there is

nothing for the OLE to kill.

* I got a friend of mine to talk to his peers (chemistry professors) to clarify HOW antibiotics works, and they're right, no living

organisms in it (if so, they'd need refrigerated, wouldn't they? lol i never thought of that).

* I have this doctor talking about olive leaf extract + antibiotics specifically: LINK http://www.jonbarron.org/blog/2007/02/lyme_disease_bacteria_borrelia.html (scroll down and read Question 5 and the answer is Question 6.)

* I asked my own LLMD and he agreed that I could take it!

So in my now very-researched opinion, I believe they are SAFE together! [Smile]

Thank you for raising the question and making me think of "why." I had been on this so long, that apparent old-wives-tale just

became common knowledge in my head which I no longer questioned. Now I have the truth, and so do you, and hopefully anyone

else who wishes to try it.

It's really a wonderful herb so I highly recommend it. I can't wait to start it again. I WON'T wait to start it again! It does have

indications for people with low blood pressure, and I do have LBP, but it's actually better when I'm on OLE, so I think it has to do

with fixing the miscommunciation in my autonomic nervous system, which is why it doesn't make it worse.

Thanks again! [kiss]

More information about OLE can be found at www.drugdigest.org

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash,
Recently you told me that you had gotten Source Naturals Ultra-Mag.

Did you start taking that?

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Yep, I really like the Ultra-Mag.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement