LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Knee pain question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Knee pain question
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all. Hope everyone is feeling some wellness.

My question of the day is regarding knee pain. It seems whenever my sx's flare a bit...or come back at full force like now..my right knee starts to hurt.

I have alot of sites that say knee pain is common with swelling, heat and redness. My knee never gets like that.

I just can't straighten it out all the way and when I am walking it is really painful. If I am sitting with it elevated there is no pain at all.

Just curious if anyone has this.

Thanks, kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just interested to see what answers you get.

My 5 year old son (not dx'ed with any TBIs, at least yet) gets pain in one knee only every time he gets a feverish illness, like the bronchitis he keeps getting.

My guess in your case is that it's part of your symptom complex.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitkat32
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9682

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitkat32     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that also. Just curious if it is a common feature.

I am thankful that I don't get swelling but it still hurts.

So sorry you little boy is dealing with this. [Frown]

It's bad enough when we suffer but the little ones shouldn't have to deal with it.

kit

Posts: 655 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jason21
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16393

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jason21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also had right knee pain for years but did not have any swelling, popping or redness. I just thought I had a slight meniscus tear.

My pain was underneath the kneecap and mainly bothered me when going up and down stairs.

If you are not having any swelling, and it does not appear you have a damaged ligament, tendon or meniscus, then the problem is probably muscular-related.

I discovered that the problem is not always where the pain is. This is called referred pain. For instance, upper right chest pain is classic for gallbladder problems.

I was lucky enough to find the Trigger Point Therapy Workbook while I was searching about how to treat shinsplints. The book helped me tremendously with my shinsplints.

When my knee was really hurting one day even though I was just sitting around, I decided to check the book. It said pain under the kneecap can be caused by trigger points, or knots, in the rectus femoris quadricep muscle, on the thigh about 3-4 inches down from the hip.

Sure enough, even though that area on my thigh did not actively hurt, I found an extremely tender knot at the spot mentioned in the book. I think what happens is that when a muscle is damaged, it begins to spasm and contract. This puts stress on the tendons where they attach the muscle to the bone.

The rectus femoris muscle attaches to the knee underneath the kneecap.

I worked the trigger point just like the book said, and my knee pain was gone within 2 weeks. It still flares up occasionally depending on my activity, like if we do some strenuous hiking.

However, I just massage the spot like before, and it gets better pretty quickly.

It is a shame doctors don't know about this. I unneccesarily lived with this knee pain for over 20 years and got over it within 2 weeks of trigger point massage.

--------------------
Igenex WB IgM 28+, 31IND, 34IND, 41+
WB IgG 30+, 31IND,39 IND, 41++++, 58+, 83-93IND
CD57 = 56
Prob infected since 2000
Doxy, Zith, Biaxin, Flagyl, Levaquin, Tindamax, Cipro
Highly Recommended: Trigger Point Therapy Workbook by Clair Davies

Posts: 137 | From South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
O2Btickfree2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for O2Btickfree2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont have swelling or redness with my knees but they ache one way i can tell im having a bad day. I am old enough for arther too and have it. This cooler weather to effects it.
Posts: 112 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kit. Your knee problem sounds like mine. My right knee seems to tell me when my symptoms are flaring.

I agree with Jason regarding trigger point release. You can find the points by feeling around to see where it is tender, both above and below the knee. Press on that point hard and hold for about 7 seconds. Then gently massage it.

Move on to the next point and repeat. I use acupuncture needles and they work well, too.

My pain doc recently gave me a sample of Voltaren Gel. It worked like a charm on my knee pain.

Hope this helps and you feel better soon!

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Knee pain was with me for years daily after becoming ill. The last couple years the knees only flare with lyme cycle.

I've found something that really helps me. Tiger Balm extra strength. Relief is good.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have knee pain since getting ill. The right knee is always worse. Sometimes it feels like my knee is twice its size, I even look at it to see, and its never swollen.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Renee K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Renee K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The spirochetes love the knees. I had my left knee swell without any injury in 2004, a year later had an MRI showing cartilage degeneration, chronic synovitis, and erosion of the patella

All of that is common with Lyme but no one recognized it because my ELISA was negative

There has never been reddness, but there is swelling which worsens in the 4 week cycle.
All rheumatological testing is negative.

Unfortunately I had synovial fluid aspirated in 2004 but no one looked for Lyme in that either due to ignorance about the disease in this area.

Posts: 130 | From Central NY | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The clindamycin antibiotic I take treats joint pain, including the knee pain. Definitely tied to the spirochetal load, for me.

Are you treating with any antibiotics? If you took antibiotics in the past, did you ever notice a difference in knee pain?

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had the same issues as you and Renee K, above.

Actually had surgery before long overdue lyme diagnosis. Made it worse!!!

But something fantastic has just happened with my knee. all my pain is now gone. Like magic...I am on the Allergie Immune Therapy, and now my pain is surprisingly gone!!! This was not expected with this therapy. Not my purpose for doing the therapy.

This is shocking. The damage is still there, as my cartiledge is still shot, and my knee still cracks and creaks...but no pain? It feels normal when bending!!!

It makes me now believe that what we have going on is not just lyme, but also chemicals and toxic build up in the synovial fluid and tissue surrounding our joints. Maybe die off build off....? A.I therapy removes the toxins...which is the phase of the therapy I am in now.

I have been in lyme remission, but still had knee pain until the past two weeks. I am doing nothing but the A.I> therapy...would highly recommend this for those who are off abx, and want to work on detox and body regulation improvement. Check out the A.I. threads. This has been amazing.

Happy Thanksgiving to all posters!!!

lp

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladeedah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21642

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladeedah     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have the knee pain and started as a new symptom during my herx. When I was given Ceftin and Biaxin, I noticed the knee starts to hurt even when sitting.

Acupuncture helped a great deal. Thanks for the tip on that book.

Doc just added Plenaquil, so now I am on three abx. Hope the knee thing disappears as well as the terrible back pain. But doing better than I was before, so hang in there. It's a slow process to recovery.

lightparfait -- What is Allergie Immune Therapy?

Happy Thanksgiving!

Posts: 134 | From NY | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement