LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Natren or Theralac?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Natren or Theralac?
Powertool4
Member # 23698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Powertool4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I'm new and i have some major dysbiosis going on with crazy bloating 24/7 but gets worse following eating anything. That among the other general CRAZY symptoms I got going on. [Smile] I was on acid reducer meds for like 1 to 2 years (apparently for no reason looking back, biggest regret) and on antibiotics without probiotics (recently found out about it) so i'm guessing that's where the bad bacteria came from.

I've used natren's healthy trinity and it worked great (after the 1.5 weeks of initial bloating, herx/die off) but when i moved to 2 pills/day i got more herx. My goal is to move up to 4 without any herx. But i wanted to try theralac since there are many great reviews on it, it has more than 3 strains, and has lactoferrin in it and doesn't need to come refridgerated.

Should I just stick to the natren and play it safe.. or is the theralac the better option?

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Posts: 7 | From Los Angeles, ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Theralac didn't work very well for me. I had much better luck with the Natren Healthy Trinity.

Of course, everyone reacts differently, but I'd say that if you've found something that works for you, keep doing it!

You could also try doing both brands--Natren in the AM and Theralac in the PM or something like that.

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also liked Natren Healthy Trinity better than Theralac. I'm currently using VSL#3 and i'm happy with it too.

I'd say stick with what works for you but if you'd like to try something new, go ahead, you can always go back to your favorite. It might even be a good idea to rotate products every now and then.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVE Theralac!! and Yes, it's good to rotate products. I also use Ultimate Flora.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Powertool4
Member # 23698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Powertool4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm this is interesting. Is there a reason why you liked Healthy Trinity over the Theralac? For me, the healthy trinity allows me to have very good BMs in the morning with relief. The customprobiotics I am on now actually puts me more on the constipation and non-relief side. No good. It was expensive as hell though.

Also why is it good to rotate the products? Maybe I should get the theralac if i have to rotate. It's just a tough call cause I only get one shot i'm so low on money..

Posts: 7 | From Los Angeles, ca | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Powertool4
Member # 23698

Also, wow, vsl #3 is expensive! and it has 900 billion?? geez, isn't that too much? The guy at customprobiotics told me that i was getting constipated because they were too strong for me. So i am guessing if it has 900 billion that isn't right for me?
gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
power,

the best advice when choosing an probiotic is look for a reliable refrigerated brand at your local health food store that has a high strain and high culture count.

you can check for reliable brands. Renew Life, Megaflora, and VSL are good ones that I have used. VSL comes in different strengths. These have 8-14 strains or more.

Theralac is a blend and has just 5 strains. Looks like Natren has 3 strains.

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked Natren Healthy Trinity because once I started IV Rocephin, my gut was very unhappy. I had fairly bad diarrhea, despite being on a number of good, reliable probiotics that had served me well in the past.

The Natren Healthy Trinity claims that:

"The Trenev Process unique oil matrix delivery system keeps beneficial bacteria super strains separate and noncompetitive while maximizing survival through low-pH, corrosive stomach acid. Bile resistance is an added feature to ensure 100% survival into the small intestine."

Since Rocephin has both renal and biliary excretion, I figured that having bile resistance would be helpful in restoring proper gut flora while on Rocephin.

After adding in the Natren, my diarrhea improved and my digestion was much better

I'm taking the Natren Healthy Trinity, plus Pharmax HLC, plus Sedona Labs iFlora (at least one each daily). And I'm also taking 1/2 packet of the VSL #3 a few times a week.

I'm also on five different antibiotics, so I need all the help I can get. [Smile]

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Powertool4
Member # 23698

The renew life one looks really good, except for the small amount of FOS in it. It has a lot of strains, enteric coating, and a ton of bifido bacteria which is good. This is so hard to choose!
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

The Renew Life didn't work for me, much like the Theralac.

It took me a long time and a lot of experimenting to find the right combination for optimal support. I think that each person is going to have a different "perfect fit," which makes the process of figuring out what to take so difficult!

Powertool4
Member # 23698

Haha yes very true. And very costly I might add.
What was the result when you used the Theralac? Did you try adjusting the dose?

It is very hard for me to even know whether or not this new brand, Customprobiotics is working because its giving me a lot of bloating and constipation. I'm not quite sure if its die off or what. The healthy trinity however, gave me a lot of bloating but my BMs were no problem.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like the Renew Life either... and forget about PB8...useless.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Powertool4
Member # 23698

Wait, isn't the Renew Life the same as ultimate flora? or am i mistaken?

I just want, this dysbiosis to go away so I can at least EAT things and not feel TERRIBLE. AGh!

Powertool4
Member # 23698

Also, has anyone tried Customprobiotics? I don't know if it's not effective and dying from my stomach acid, or if its TOO STRONG. Either one.. i cant figure out.
I've been on a 1/2 scoop dose (about 110 billion) and it gives me crazy gas and bloating (and ive been taking it to TREAT the bloating and painful trapped gas! go figure). When i move up to 1 scoop, i get constipated. so far ive skipped 2 days and its still just not pleasant and having some pressure in the colon, somewhat painful. Does this mean its working, or it's not working? I'm so confused. When i took the natren's healthy trinity however, my stomach instantly felt better, i'm able to belch and feel somewhat calmer in my intestines.

Any ideas?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement