LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Adrenal Fatigue?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Adrenal Fatigue?
marriedchick
Member # 20214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marriedchick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone -

I've been sick with lyme and candida for 12 years. I've ALWAYS suspected that I might have adrenal fatigue but I've gotten two different tests...one from my current mainstream Endochrinologist and one from my old naturopath. They both said I don't have it.

I really wonder though. Is it possible these tests are not accurate? It seems like when I've tried adrenal supplements in the past, they give me a boost...

I do get overstimulated from them sometimes though but they definitely help my overall energy...getting me off the couch to where I can function a little again.

Should I listen to my doctors and finally settle in my mind that I don't have adrenal fatigue?? I just don't understand how it's possible that I can be this ill after all these years and my adrenals are just fine!

Thanks.
Carolyn

Posts: 41 | From New Jersey | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
they need to be tested through saliva in one day 4x through a reputable lab (aeron, neuroscience, etc)

derek

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bovine adrenal supp/
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found that weak adrenals were a big part of my lyme disease complex.

When I avoid sugar, caffeine, alcohol, white flour products, take vitamin C, licorice root, other adrenal restoratives, avoid stress.....AND especially consume nettles....that I become more energetic, have less asthma and allergies, less PMS, less brain fog...etc. The list goes on.

For more info on the health benefits of nettles, see the link below. One doesn't necessarily need a test for adrenal weakness. This type of diet is good for anyone and will improve your health whether or not you have a chronic illness.

Try it and see what results you get. You can't go wrong. At this point I am trying to do these things along with antibiotics.I am doing very well....however, it does take persistence and time so don't be discouraged.

Some people think it's the yeast being killed off by this type of diet. I think that may have something to do with it but I feel very excited about the evidence that shows how much our adrenal glands are involved and how they are strengthened by diet, stress reduction, laughing...surrounding yourself as much as you can with a soothing atmosphere. This includes colors and music that soothe you.

http://lymesentinel.blogspot.com/2009/10/health-benefits-of-stinging-nettle.html

Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daystar1952:
I found that weak adrenals were a big part of my lyme disease complex.

When I avoid sugar, caffeine, alcohol, white flour products, take vitamin C, licorice root, other adrenal restoratives, avoid stress.....AND especially consume nettles....that I become more energetic, have less asthma and allergies, less PMS, less brain fog...etc. The list goes on.

daystar - Don't know where you're from, but in the southern US, I believe that we refer to nettles as "poke salad". Yes, they are edible and we cooked and ate them as greens.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daystar1952     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm from the Northeast.......Wow......that's what Polk Salad is??? I had no idea. What about that song Polk Salad Annie? :-)
Posts: 1176 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 7 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daystar1952:
I'm from the Northeast.......Wow......that's what Polk Salad is??? I had no idea. What about that song Polk Salad Annie? :-)

Yes, it's POKE Salad and the song made it famous outside of The South (although most people still have no idea what it is).

BTW daystar - If a person has hypercoagulation, they might want to be careful eating / drinking nettle products (POKE SALAD) of any kind, as it has a tendency to 'slow' the blood (another Southern slang term).

Got any more tea, drink or food alternatives for adrenal fatigue? I'm also trying to work on this, but have to be careful. Collecting suggestions from all.

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Renee K
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21220

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Renee K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Conventional docs do not recognize adrenal fatigue

They recognize adrenal failure. It doesn't dawn on them that there are stages of disease, that the adrenals can weaken before shutting down completely.

I take a b complex, b5 500 mg daily and extra C to support my remaining adrenal gland, had one removed for a tumor in 2006 which I feel let the Lyme go wild....

I also take a herbal formulation to support the adrenals that my LLMD prescribes.

Frequent small meals with protein at every meal, no concentrated carbs, sugar, caffeine which all stress the adrenal glands by messing with insulin levels

Bed by 10 pm, try to get as much uninterrupted sleep as possible.

Posts: 130 | From Central NY | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 2 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You sound as if you've really been through the mill, Renee. Thanks for the excellent suggestions! Let's all hope 2010 brings much better health to us all.

--------------------
ping

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Lyme doctor had me try Isocort, and that made a difference for me. My adrenals did need help. I have been working full time for a year and a half now. Prior to that I was on disablity for two years and very sick.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 5 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CherylSue:
My Lyme doctor had me try Isocort, and that made a difference for me. My adrenals did need help. I have been working full time for a year and a half now. Prior to that I was on disablity for two years and very sick.

CherylSue - I'm rather ignorant in these matters, but isn't Isocort some type of cortisol derivative?

--------------------
ping

marriedchick
Member # 20214

Icon 1 posted      Profile for marriedchick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my current lyme doctor believes what my Endo says, that there is no adrenal fatigue. I had an alternative-type doctor before tell me it's dangerous to take the adrenal extracts if you don't need it. Is this true? Is it possible I could harm myself???

I want to try to take it again to try to help myself. I'm so weak and just get even more wiped out when I try to take any drugs for lyme or yeast.

Posts: 41 | From New Jersey | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ping:

...we refer to nettles as "poke salad". Yes, they are edible and we cooked and ate them as greens.

Ping, I think pokeweed and nettles are two different plants.

Stinging nettle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle

Pokeweed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokeweed

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daystar1952
Member # 3255

I also use licorice root to sweeten my tea. This root is suppose to support the adrenals too. I guess you have to be a bit careful if you have high blood pressure tho. Siberian Ginseng is also supposed to help
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry ! [bonk] Too complicated !

[ 12-24-2009, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: massman ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
best decision i ever made was naturally supporting my adrenals.

sleep is good, energy is good, i love it

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chick, check your thyroid too. [Smile] The adrenals are fairly resilient but the thyroid not so much. Hypothyroidism can drop cortisol levels too so rule out both.

Isocort is good and fairly standardized as far as dosing. Each tablet is the approx equivalent of 2.5 mgs of Cortef.

Adrenal glandulars can be helpful but it's hard to know what you're getting and what components are dosed at...

Herbs may be a good place to start...rhodiola and other adaptogens...

I took several months of cortisol (cortef) @ 20 mgs per day with little to no results so often it's the thyroid or a combination of hormones.

There were some posts on Wilson's temperature syndrome recently....may be worth a look...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My integrative doc said Prime One adrenal drops are really the best and only thing that works. Russian olympians are given this supplement to rebuild adrenals. She said Cortef is useless as it doesn't build them.

I will mentioned the doc sells Prime One in the office. They do not sell Rx Cortef.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[bow] "only thing that works." [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement